It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A cruelty-free future

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 03:33 AM
link   

Dutch scientists have used stem cells to create strips of muscle tissue with the aim of producing the first lab-grown hamburger later this year.

The aim of the research is to develop a more efficient way of producing meat than rearing animals.

Source

That's what I think of when I read news like that. A future without slaughterhouses, a future without floors stained with the blood of millions of innocent animals killed ruthlessly in the name of consumerism.

We must open our minds to accept this. Not everything is a conspiracy and sometimes advances in science and technology are actually a good thing. This is one of them.

Assuming that this lab-grown meat has the same nutritional properties of meat from actual animals then why not? Most of the meat that is bought in big super markets is already sprayed with chemicals and who knows what else, why not go cruelty free?

Of course no one is going to be open to this idea, and that's why I think they should set a limit to animals that can be slaughtered to be consumed in slaughter houses. A good idea would be to replace all of the meat sold in big chains (wal-mart, sams club, kroger, tesco and others) with lab grown meat. This would phase out slaughter houses, where a lot of cruelty takes place.

Meat that is grown in labs will provide a great alternative to finally end the need of slaughter houses,

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 03:38 AM
link   
reply to post by muse7

NO, I am sorry. But the idea of lab grown meat is not appetizing to me at all.

Animals are there for us to eat, and I will eat them.

Maybe if the lab grown meat was the ONLY option, i would eat it, but if there is still real beef to eat, that is my first choice.

vvv

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 03:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by VreemdeVlieendeVoorwep
reply to post by muse7

NO, I am sorry. But the idea of lab grown meat is not appetizing to me at all.

Animals are there for us to eat, and I will eat them.

Maybe if the lab grown meat was the ONLY option, i would eat it, but if there is still real beef to eat, that is my first choice.

vvv

For someone that is from Africa, where there is a such large diversity of life one would think that you'd have a much deeper appreciation for other living beings than to just think of them as being there only for us to consume.

Just because our digestive system can digest meat does not mean that the sole purpose of other animals is just to exist for us to eat. They are living beings and they want to live their life just like you or me.

The cruelty that Humans show towards other living creatures is one of our darkest traits.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 03:55 AM
link   

For someone that is from Africa, where there is a such large diversity of life one would think that you'd have a much deeper appreciation for other living beings than to just think of them as being there only for us to consume.
reply to post by muse7

Because I am from Africa, I know how important food is. People raise cows and sheep, for the purpose of eating them, and using milk from them. Life here is very much appreciated indeed. Their animals is free roaming, not raised in little boxes and sheds, fed till they pop and then slaughtered.

I still stand by my point, that animals, like cows, sheep, etc is meant for us to be eaten. It is what it is. Believe me mate, I love animals. Nature is where i live, and i experience it everyday. The beauty of nature, and the cruelty of nature. Seeing a grown lion, kill and eat a new born baby from a zebra or gazelle is heart breaking, but then you realize that it is the way of nature. We as humans kill animals, and eat them. It is how it is.

Growing meat in a lab is unnatural, and i will not support it. I prefer my meat natural and fresh.

vvv

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 03:58 AM
link   
If it could be proven that it's real meat I would eat it. I think if it's going to be used it should be used to feed the masses not sky high prices per pound.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 04:01 AM
link   
reply to post by muse7

Sorry but i have to say i am with Vreemde in that lab grown meat just does not appeal to me. Give me the cow that has been running round the field rather than the enzymes mixed in the lab any day.

To be honest, i am getting sick to death of this meat is cruelty agenda.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 04:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Leigh3

Forgive them both, they are not understanding of what you say. They are quick to argue for sake of argument. I seems... it seems huh..

I hope to see more of this, even if we have a downward spiral to travel, it will not be as empty as the ride up!

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 04:13 AM
link   
reply to post by mainidh

I understand ok, i just REALLY do not agree that is all. We cannot all agree on everything, what is the problem with that?

And, to be honest, i am getting fed up with the meat is cruelty argument. No it isn't.

You see the problem? Nothing you say will convince me that meat is cruelty and that lab meat is good. It just will never happen, our views are too opposed it would seem for any agreement on this issue. That is one example of why a one size fits all solution will never work. Therefore, each to their own. I will continue eating larry the lamb, hopping around in his field, you can have the lab meat if you so desire and the veggies and vegans can do what they do - what is the problem with that?

Re reading this, i wish to make clear this isn't a direct attack at your post, more a frustrated vent at the meat is cruelty argument in general - thought i should clarify as it comes across as more aggressive than i wished for!
edit on 29-3-2012 by Flavian because: (no reason given)

edit on 29-3-2012 by Flavian because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 04:21 AM
link   

edit on 29-3-2012 by WestsideStory because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 04:23 AM
link   
There will always be mistakes on how meat is created and have unhealthy side effects, but natural meat is less harmful then anything you can clone or make in a lab. There is a reason why they breed in high number. They were meant for food since the dawn of time. If they could, they would eat us like we eat them.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 04:34 AM
link   
I think the question here is not if eating meat is right or wrong, but if it is needed that humans inflict suffering on animals in order to do so. I love meat, but I think any means to reduce the cruelty inflicted by modern farming methods should be embraced.

People (myself included) who eat meat should be required to slaughter animals themselves, to fully appreciate the sacrifice required to sustain our life.
edit on 29-3-2012 by rom12345 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 04:39 AM
link   
reply to post by rom12345

Fair point, i may have gone off topic with my response.

Some farming practices are wrong, i will not even try defending that. Maybe getting rid of farming subsidies in the Western world would redress the balance a bit - if farmers are producing less because they are not getting paid regardless, then maybe perceived suffering would also be lessened?

I just really do not like the idea of lab meat so i would rather pursue other options.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 05:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Flavian
reply to post by rom12345

I just really do not like the idea of lab meat so i would rather pursue other options.

When it comes down to it, I'm not sure which I am more squeamish about.
Eating lab grown meat, or eating the flesh of a previously sentient animal.
Both kind of give me the creeps, but If it were viable to forego 'violence' in my nutrition, I think i would be ok with this option.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 06:15 AM
link   
Quite content to each this if its demonstrated to be safe.

I like meat, I eat meat, but if I can eat it without another living creature having to die for it then its a win as far as i'm concerned.

Give the land spent raising cows over to grain production. Its more efficient.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 06:24 AM
link   
Might be possible but it won't catch on. What is cheeper growing meat in a lab or farming? Thats all it will come down to.

Apart from that, what is so cruel about slaughtering animals which only exist because they have the correct properties for us to raise and eat?

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 06:25 AM
link   
reply to post by justwokeup

Whilst i understand where you are coming from, i must say give a burger over some bread or cereal any day. The problem is that that many other people also feel that way inclined.

I definitely think subsidies are part of the problem. The thing is though, they are now so ingrained in western societies that i do not really see what could be done about them.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 06:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by mcsteve

Apart from that, what is so cruel about slaughtering animals which only exist because they have the correct properties for us to raise and eat?

Thats an interesting concept. Is it your contention that if you create something you have the right to do with it as you wish (Even if its sentient).

If not, where do you draw the line and on what grounds. I'm not trolling I just want to explore the ideas behind your post.

Is it ok to breed dogs to kill and eat? What about something smarter than a dog, how about lower primates?

I eat beef, pork etc but I acknowledge its not really defensible from a pure moral perspective. Which is why i'm open to the alternative in this thread.

edit on 29-3-2012 by justwokeup because: typo

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 06:54 AM
link   

Is it your contention that if you create something you have the right to do with it as you wish (Even if its sentient).

But we did not create the animals, they have been our food source for thousands of years. We are at the top of the food chain, thus we can select what we want to eat. If someone don't want to eat meat, it is their choice. But honestly, if you eat any animal that has been killed, then don't complain about the morality of it. An animal died, to feed you, and to prolong your survival. That is what it comes down too. A lion in nature does not think twice about eating or killing a cute little baby animal. It needs food, it gets food. We have become so PG regarding some topics.

I believe if you hunt for example, you eat what you killed. Do not let an animal go to waste once its killed. If a cow can feed a family for a couple of days, that is fantastic, because it keeps them alive, and the cow has served its purpose.

Of course, if animals are killed in inhumane ways, that is not right, and those practices should be stopped. That includes, "battery chickens" as we call them, or any place where animals are hearded into small confined areas, forced fed, and then killed.

vvv

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 06:55 AM
link   

As long as it isn't endangered or it isn't human, i really see no problem with whatever anyone chooses to eat. It may not be to my tastes but that doesn't make it wrong. For example, i have never got into the Korean's are wrong to eat dogs hypocrisy.

posted on Mar, 29 2012 @ 08:33 AM
link   
OK. A step in the right direction, but even at that, PETA will jump up and claim that growing this meat in labs still means that it is "alive" in some sense and therefore, wrong. Actually, there is no end to that argument.

Some philosophies claim that everything in existence is alive to one degree or another.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join