It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Hunger Games, lets have those reviews.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 10:07 PM
link   
I haven't read the book, six month waiting list at the library. Maybe I will get to see the movie. But the movie came in third for blockbuster coming in after Twilight and Harry Potter.

(teens really drive the movie market, lol)
Half the people going to see it are under the age of 25.

So those who have gone to see it, how is it?

I am really shocked no one started a review thread. I looked for it and couldn't find it in case someone did.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 10:16 PM
link   
Thought it was lame John Carter better.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 10:18 PM
link   
reply to post by mikeprodigy

Ok

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 10:21 PM
link   
It's just a rehash of Battle Royale

why do Americans have to remake successful foreign films? Can't read subtitles and watch the movie at the same time?

Ring
Grudge
Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 10:24 PM
link   
I was a big fan of the books, I highly recommend them -they are an easy read (I was done the trilogy in about 9 hrs) but you get really attached to the characters.

The movie did a good job, but felt a little rushed (not surprising though). They missed the little details but got the general idea across.

What I found most surprising was the reactions of fans over black characters being y'know...black in the movie. Maybe they didn't pay enough attention while reading, but it was both funny and sad at the same time.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 10:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nick_X

why do Americans have to remake successful foreign films? Can't read subtitles and watch the movie at the same time?

Ring
Grudge

The Departed can also be added to that list, it seems very few people knew the Chinese movie Internal Affairs

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 10:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Nick_X

Acutally Korea remade the Ring before Hollywood did.

And the same director that did the original Grudge did the American version.

And if you want to gripe about Hollywood, perhaps you should start another thread, without the insults.
edit on 26-3-2012 by nixie_nox because: (no reason given)

edit on 26-3-2012 by nixie_nox because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 10:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nick_X

Ring
Grudge

That's an insult.

It was Battle Royale if you neutered Battle Royale, took everything out of it that was good, and tried to pump some sappy Hollywood "goodness" into it.

It lacked character, it was contrived, and it was sappy.

It wasn't the worst movie in the history of film making. But it was another terrible attempt at basing an idea of great Asian cinema (see: The Departed.)

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 10:30 PM
link   
reply to post by jesiaha

The Departed can also be added to that list, it seems very few people knew the Chinese movie Internal Affairs

Infernal affairs.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 10:34 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

And Battle Royal can be accussed of ripping off Lord of the Flies.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 10:37 PM
link   
Kinda like that recent movie that came out ''Chronicle''

bad spin off of Akira

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 10:39 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

Never saw the movie but was forced to read the book at school. The most dismal book I ever had the misfortune to read.

Speaking of remakes...
The original French film...
or it's English language paltry remake.
ETA Imdb ratings, when voted on by critics and hundreds if not thousands of "regular" viewers often do not lie.

edit on 26/3/12 by LightSpeedDriver because: ETA

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 10:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox
reply to post by boncho

I wouldn't say Battle Royal was an adaptation of Lord of the Flies. Actually the Simpsons made an episode which is a more accurate hommage to the book

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 10:48 PM
link   
having not read the books, I wasn't going in with much expectations. Here's my 2 cents....

The first thing I said when I left the theater..... "That was written by a woman right?" "Yes".... "Thought so".

Sorry, I don't mean to sound sexist, but the movie really really felt like it was an action film by women, for women.

There were many scenes where I thought [snip] was about to hit the fan. Or, thinking, "oh no, this is gonna turn out very very bad". And each time, the story didn't capitalize on potential and fell flat.

Don't think I will care much for seeing the sequels.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 10:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by mikeprodigy
Thought it was lame John Carter better.

Me like John Carter more better too.

edit on 26-3-2012 by Lighterside because: grammar correction

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 11:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Lighterside

Having read the books, the first one is soft in a teen drama love triangle way. And while the subsequent books continue to capitalize on that market, if they play their cards right they could have two films that could appeal to a much broader market. I don't want to throw down any spoilers for anyone who wants to read the books and be surprised, but it has potential. What they do with it is anybodies guess, but I hope they spend more time on content than on fluff.

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 01:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox
reply to post by boncho

They had titanium necklaces with explosives inside that blew up the kids in lord of the flies?

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 01:57 AM
link   
John Carter blew, if you ask me.

I wish I read the books first, but for just seeing the film... I thought it was good. Lord of the flies came to mind from time to time

3 out of 5 stars : D

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 08:02 AM
link   
Read the first book, and I liked it. The movie is sold out here for the next two weeks, so I won't be seeing it anytime soon. I read Twilight and I have to say that this book was about 1000000x better, better story, and written with a little more care. The Twilight author is just sloppy.

Any movie made from now until the end of time will always be a re-make, re-write, re-hash of the same stories over and over and over again, so it doesn't matter if the movie is "like" some other movie, they are all copies. Besides, it's about money not content. An original idea doesn't exist, and that goes for art too.

Anyway, I want to see the movie. I really like Peeta and I also want to see this post-apocalyptic world.

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 08:47 AM
link   
reply to post by boncho

You can connect one movie but not another?

Its about throwing children into a survival situation.

Any movie can be said of robbing ideas from someone else.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join