It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. ‘pink slime’ factories shut down amid outcry

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 05:39 PM
link   
U.S. ‘pink slime’ factories shut down amid outcry

Well all the complaining seems to have done some good after all !!

The slime factories in Texas, Iowa and Kansas have apparently closed !!

That's 3 out of 4 (that we know of at least !).

The only one still operating is in Dakota Dunes, South Dakota.

By Stephen C. Webster
Monday, March 26, 2012 13:43 EDT
The Raw Story

Three factories that made so-called “pink slime” beef filler have shut down since public outcry about the ammonia-treated substance began last month, The Associated Press reported Monday.

Beef Products Inc. spokesman Craig Letch told AP that only one factory in the country, located in Dakota Dunes, South Dakota, is still producing the stuff. Three others, in Texas, Iowa and Kansas, have reportedly been shut down.

The product, known as “lean, finely textured beef” to industry insiders, is comprised of connective tissue and other less-than-edible pieces of cows, which are mashed into a slimy, pink substance and treated with ammonia gas to kill off bacteria.

It is then added to ground beef as filler, to increase the product’s weight and, thereby, it’s price.....

Pink Slime Dwindling

I hope there's no foreign suppliers ?

Will burgers Taste Better now ??

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 05:42 PM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

YAY!!!!!
More folks out of a job

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 05:44 PM
link   
I'm glad this crap is out of our food. But, just wait and see, the price will go through the roof. They no longer use filler, so there will be more weight from real meat and they will CHARGE for it. Pity you have to pay more to get what you Thought you were getting to begin with. Isn't that just crazy. You have to pay more for them NOT to put junk in your food.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 05:46 PM
link   
Yes,can i have a big mac...hold the pink slime.So another fine job done by the FDA policing the products sold to an unsuspecting public.Corruption or incompetance,either is unacceptable.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 05:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by AgentX09
Yes,can i have a big mac...hold the pink slime.So another fine job done by the FDA policing the products sold to an unsuspecting public.Corruption or incompetance,either is unacceptable.

thank you for feeding yourself on corporate scum, would you like some over priced over taxed fries with that?

may or may not contain any potatoes

edit on 26-3-2012 by Biigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 05:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by AllUrChips

YAY!!!!!
More folks out of a job

you would rather have that garbage in your food for a few jobs

anyway glad to see them listen to we the people for a change, lets just hope it doesn't just go away for a little while only to return under the radar.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Proving once again that if full disclosure exists, the consumer and free markets win every time.

edit on 26-3-2012 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 05:59 PM
link   
reply to post by LittleBlackEagle

There are alot more unscrupulous things in our food, including mouse feces in our peanut butter. What do they allow, 8 % non food items per container?

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 06:06 PM
link   

reply to post by LittleBlackEagle

There are alot more unscrupulous things in our food, including mouse feces in our peanut butter. What do they allow, 8 % non food items per container?

be that as it may, it's a start and sends a clear message.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 06:11 PM
link   
Probably moving to the first state to approve "liquefaction" of human remains, now that they have been spotted. It's time to move to a retirement communtiy near you, beware of Pink Slime because the next burger could be you. Hope you aren't vegetarian, because unless you grow your own food, you could be eating human cattle. Xenongod

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 06:13 PM
link   
well they cant fill up our meat with vegetables or fruit...

that stuff doesn't grow on trees you know

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 06:41 PM
link   
Green food colouring.

Buy the licence to the name "Soylent Green" from MGM.

Keep the factories open, sell it as Soylent Green. Double Win.

People will choose to eat it, knowing what it is, purely because of the name, and the factory workers won't lose their jobs.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 06:48 PM
link   
I think we produce the stuff in Canada . As to where I don't know . Well at least we have standards for the stuff up here.

www.inspection.gc.ca...

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 06:54 PM
link   
Well, I guess my view is, is that this is a real ray of hope, in that the internet and "public" discussion of issues (i.e. "public" meaning "on the internet") can make a real difference! I was vegetarian for a few years, but gave it up, because I love meat! I don't like pink slime, though. When I buy hamburger (not too often) I buy the most expensive. It probably still had pink slime in it. When I eat steak, I go for the more expensive cuts, usually. (Meat glue anyone?) I don't know if there are any guarantees these days when it comes to safe and quality consumer products. I joined this forum partly because I like the paranormal and NDE/metaphysical type stuff, and also because I like a good conspiracy theory. My feelings towards conspiracy theories is this: I take the more specific or far out ones (like "earth is ruled by reptilian Illuminati slavemasters from outer space") with a grain of salt or less, but they are fun!

The elite do behave like reptilian aliens sometimes. My conspiracy theory is a very general one: some people will do anything to increase their profits, and the relationship between corporations and the government is too cozy. Pink slime was a way to increase profits by selling "meat" unfit for human consumption to an unwary public (hey, I really didn't even know before this story broke!) with no concern for the health and well-being of ordinary people like you and me. Ever read "The Jungle" by Upton Sinclair? This sort of thing is nothing new. Everything but the squeal! I for one don't mind paying more for quality meat. If I want to save money, I'll make a nice bean soup.
edit on 26-3-2012 by godspetrat because: grammar.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 07:26 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 07:27 PM
link   
Then the million dollar Ad's about the Mac's being 'Two All Beef Patties'... was in fact a Lie....then the years of promotions were false advertising....

Then the fines on the "Double Arches' corporation should help defray the National Deficit...
They have been lying for more than 10 years

pink slime indeed...

just wait until Øbama-Care comes ON-Line in 2014... we will have plenty of that soylent green from the corpses of the dead that the government decided should die... instead of having many Survivor medical patients which could have been had with a private health insurer
edit on 26-3-2012 by St Udio because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 07:30 PM
link   

YAY!!!!!
More folks out of a job

Geez...

You can't please people anymore....

edit on 26-3-2012 by My.mind.is.mine because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by DAVID64
I'm glad this crap is out of our food. But, just wait and see, the price will go through the roof. They no longer use filler, so there will be more weight from real meat and they will CHARGE for it. Pity you have to pay more to get what you Thought you were getting to begin with. Isn't that just crazy. You have to pay more for them NOT to put junk in your food.

Its already happening... the store I shop at no longer has 93% lean ground beef and 3lb of 85% cost the $15 that I used to pay for 3lb of the 93%.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 09:50 PM
link   
reply to post by 100% Real

Hope you enjoyed your time on ATS, your wording of this reply was not a wise choice freind

It sounds like you need to be shot before you can hurt anyone

edit on 26-3-2012 by AllUrChips because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2012 @ 04:25 PM
link   

I just saw a Vid from the creators of Pink Slime where they talk about how natural ammonia is and that a puff kills bacteria n E-coil i! 1 question does the good cuts of beef get the same puff of ammonia? I would have thought if they were then the vids from the makers of Pink Slime would defend their product by saying so if it was true! By my logic then Pink Slime is not as safe as other proper beef products!

Not buying hamburger now buying chuck steak n using my grandma;s meat grinder as I now understand what its for!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join