It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mass Effect 3 Ending Debate

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
cj6

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 03:53 PM
link   
Im sick of hearing people complain about ME3's ending! For one thing, if the ending had been all sunshine and rainbows with everyone happy and alive and celebrating the destruction of the reapers everybody would complain that it was too Happy of an ending. But Bioware goes ahead with, and lets be honest, a perfect ending that would actually happen if the events of Mass Effect were REAL. Shepard being the hero would most likely die trying to save the galaxy and any fleet, no matter how many, would undoubtedly lose a war against the reapers. In real life there are NO happy endings so why would anyone want a different ending to ME3? The whole experience of ME was your adventures meeting different characters and species and making your own choices along the way, the ending was just closure to everything you did leading up to that point. I love the ending! It was exactly the way i expected everything to do down, hell i would've even preferred for more characters to die, that way i wouldnt be wondering "whats Garrus up to now?" or "what happened to Ashley Williams?" or "whats next for Commander Shepard?" THEYRE DEAD!!! All in all i thank Bioware for making an exceptional and logical ending to the ME saga. So instead of complaining about the ending just enjoy for what it is....a REAL ending...and your welcome. Besides, if you had to come up with an ME3 ending what would it be??? I guarantee you your ending would suck worse than anything has ever sucked before

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 03:56 PM
link   
ZOMG internet people are mad?! TO ZEE INTERNET TO COMPLAIN!

well to be fair, if multiple ends are what the customers want, mass effect 4 should have plenty of them, lesson learned.

Look up the game company CCP and how they managed to piss everyone off last summer by not listening to them (which they had done up to that point).

Game designers can get a little big headed and also have to deal with the suits.

It DOES pay to listen, if a baker made great bread but had a horrible tasting end piece would you keep buying it?

Or tell him to sort out the ending

cj6

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 03:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Biigs

Why should game companies listen to the fans?? Theyre not the ones MAKING the game! Everyone needs to relax and take the game "as is"

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by cj6
reply to post by Biigs

Why should game companies listen to the fans?? Theyre not the ones MAKING the game! Everyone needs to relax and take the game "as is"

sorry but im going to be mean in:
what do you think makes anyone, making anything, make any money?

people buying it.

guess who knows what they want? the customer.

If you ignore the players you are at a serious risk of making a bad game, being big headed about it also doesnt help.

Not every gamer knows what they want, but as proven time and time again, the power of the crowd is more powerful and effective than one self confessed genius.

edit on 26-3-2012 by Biigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 01:17 AM
link   
the main thing I didn't like about it was that no matter what you did all that really changed was the color.

blue
green
red

same schtick otherwise

posted on Mar, 27 2012 @ 01:08 PM
link   

The universe is so large the ending would blow your pitiful mind away with the scale and finesse of the powerful consequence that Shepard's actions made.

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 08:39 PM
link   
I liked the endings. I thought it was better than anything Halo could come up with... god forbid.

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 09:38 PM
link   
reply to post by cj6

I can name TONS of games that have better
1- Plot Execution
2- Developed Characters
3- Actual MULTIPLE Scenarios AND endings
4- And had less of a budget

List in no particular order:
- Planescape Torment
1. 9 Peope 9 Doors 9 Hours
2. Silent Hill 2
3. Deux Ex Original
4. Amnesia
5. Balders Gate II
6. Castlevania Symphony of the Night
7. Cave Story
8. Chrono Cross
9. Chrono Trigger
10. Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem
11. Fire Emblem

... and the list goes on.

Bioware had a ridiculous budget and they created something that was obviously a rushed product. If you've kept up with their promises and interviews, ME3 could of EASILY been better. instead, you get a multiplayer (which was okay in terms of how it playes) and a single player that does little to no justice to any of the relationships you've built in the previous titles.

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Davian
I liked the endings. I thought it was better than anything Halo could come up with... god forbid.

Actually, the Halo ending in Halo 1 concluded the story appropriately. It wrapped up everything that happened in the game, and made a conclusion to all of the conflicts that the player was involved in.

ME3's ending went against everything you fought for and used circular logic to justify it.

edit on 26-4-2012 by GambitVII because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2012 @ 11:10 PM
link   
reply to post by cj6

Well considering that I cant even get myself to finish mass effect 2 because the mehness of the story is just turning me off. I cant say how the ending is, but as it stands right now. I do find it hard to care, the game is good no doubt its just not as great as its all made up to be.

I got to agree with GambitVII its like they dont even try no more, the whole thing was fake and plastic way to plastic. Even the older rpg with there sprite based 5 pixel characters did have a more interesting story and endings. Plus with the crappy graphics it kind of did let your imagination fill in the gaps, in these newer games with there shiny and spiffy graphics you cant quite do that and fill in the gaps.

That's the thing with it, sometimes they start out with this whole scope of it being ginormous and totally epic, and by the end it all just comes crashing down in one big crunch like they all need to get this over with and done and just ran out of ideas, so they don't even try no more. They just cookie cutter it and get it out the door.

And here I cant even make myself finish ME2 because its just not that interesting no more, so its hard to even think of picking up the last part as it just seems like it will be the same ol same ol, and not only that. But the same ol same ol rushed game and threadbare story.

posted on Apr, 27 2012 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by GambitVII

Originally posted by Davian

Actually, the Halo ending in Halo 1 concluded the story appropriately. It wrapped up everything that happened in the game, and made a conclusion to all of the conflicts that the player was involved in.

ME3's ending went against everything you fought for and used circular logic to justify it.

edit on 26-4-2012 by GambitVII because: (no reason given)

Lolwut? It never tells us anything about the Forerunner, except that they're Humans, then the next books that come out directly contradict that saying Forerunners fought a space-faring human empire thousands of years ago (Again...WAT) and then find out that the Precursors are Floods (LOLWAT)

Not to mention at the end of 3, Truth takes his sweet ass time activating the Array, and essentially stands there with his thumb up his ass essentially waiting while his mentally retarded cohorts get gunned down by MC and Arby.

There is nothing credible about Halo 3's ending. Halo 1's, yeah it was cool, but Mass Effect is the superior game series as far as storytelling goes.

posted on Apr, 28 2012 @ 01:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Davian

Forerunners and etc. are obviously lore or background. Did you need to know all that in order to conclude the conflict presented in the plot? Of course not!

Let me ask you this, did you have to know the historical details behind the computer in order to know how to use it? The matter that comes in to play is: Will you use the computer today, and if so can do you do it? The scenario ends within the restrictions established by the question. Did you need to know the origins of the computer in order to use it? Of course not!

In the same manner, background is background. Halo 1 concludes what it establishes and leaves room for LORE. Thats where Halo 2 & 3 made their mistake, by not exploring enough of it and turning it to a generic Hollywood experience.

In any case, why should I be talking about Halo? Halo is just mid-tier entertainment.
I can easily name three titles that has more content, background, better plot execution, and ULTIMATELY conclusive endings. (not to mention 2 of which have deviating scenarios EACH with its own ending)

- Xenogears, Planescape Torment, 9 People 9 Doors 9 Hours

If the matter is plot,lore, characters, endings/multiple endings, I GUARANTEE each of these titles execute all of those mechanics far more impressively than what Mass Effect did with 3 games. At least in these titles, the lore influences the scenarios to such a degree that they play a KEY role in the decision making process and the way the the plot will turn out.

Unlike Mass Effect where the lore is just age old history. These games directly utilizes 'ancient history' as a plot device to influence the scenarios that occur as you play through to the end.

Here's one example
999 Has 9 endings: one of which is a parody, one of which is the final ending. There are 7 others which despite being separate and 'unrelated', they remain relevant to the details that flush out the final and true ending.

It's such a big deal that you actually have to play through the 'worst case scenario' ending just so you can access the real one.

Mass Effect 3 despite having more than 4 times the budget does nothing close to that, when it's a game that should be doing things of that nature in the first place.
edit on 28-4-2012 by GambitVII because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 11:33 AM
link   
finaly completed mass effect 3.
i think people are only pissed because so much changes at the end. people want things to end off they way things start so they can continue the story we know. i don't care. ME3 was a good game and now i'm done with it.
i now await another amazing sci-fi universe to be released to us in rpg format.
probably a damn prequel of ME we'll see before somthing good is made.

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by listerofsmeg
i think people are only pissed because so much changes at the end. people want things to end off they way things start so they can continue the story we know. i don't care. ME3 was a good game and now i'm done with it.

I fully expected sheppard to die at the end of the series. My problem with the ending and even parts of the game is that not alot is really explained. Basically Saren (sp?) is right there is nothing we could do about it so what is the point of the other 2 games? Then the endings for the 3rd game are basically the same. I do think sometimes games are so wrapped up in their hype that no matter what it's going to end up sucking in some parts but for mass effect 3 I think all the hate for the ending is justified.

posted on Apr, 29 2012 @ 06:23 PM
link   
reply to post by listerofsmeg

There's already 4 titles that do just THAT and much more in terms of delivering a solid plot. (even though one is flawed, it still utilizes the Lore much more effectively than the Mass Effect Series)

And if you read my previous reply, there's tons of logical, rational, and non opinionated reasons why alternative titles dominate the realm that Mass Effect tried to dive into.

Here are two titles you SHOULD be considering if your looking for sci-fi RPG. I'll even throw in a few extras

1. Xenogears
2. Xenosaga
3. Xenoblade
4. Deus Ex (everything except the second game)
edit on 29-4-2012 by GambitVII because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 09:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by GambitVII
reply to post by listerofsmeg

1. Xenogears
2. Xenosaga
3. Xenoblade
4. Deus Ex (everything except the second game)
edit on 29-4-2012 by GambitVII because: (no reason given)

i've completely given up on squaresoft (squareenix) type of games.
any scifi where the main weapon is a sword seems a bit stupid to me but t's just my opinion.
Deus ex was awesome but what was wrong with the second one, deus ex:invisible war was pretty damn good.
the third one human revolution was good too for a prequel.
no what i need is something new that i don't even know about yet, something with aliens, ships, and no swords.

the thing that made me really like the mass effect series was looking around illium, the citadel or omega, love those futurescapes.
edit on 30/4/2012 by listerofsmeg because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 12:07 PM
link   
The ending was good enough
because it was not the ending

The last 5 minutes of the game was happening in Shepherds mind, there is no god child, there is no choice of control, meld, or destruction, there is only Shepherd taking a indoctrination nap at the base of the reaper ship.

That is the only thing that one can possibly conclude

Watch the video..it will convert you 100% into the he is totally indoctrinated bandwagon and the upcoming DLCs will give you the "real" real ending...where you shake it off and wake up and actually get on the damn reaper ship

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 12:15 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

that will piss me off more than any of the endings, knowing that after buying the uncompleted game i now have to pay more for the end.
i would prefere if they just explain it in ME4

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by sandman441

I fully expected sheppard to die at the end of the series. My problem with the ending and even parts of the game is that not alot is really explained. Basically Saren (sp?) is right there is nothing we could do about it so what is the point of the other 2 games? Then the endings for the 3rd game are basically the same. I do think sometimes games are so wrapped up in their hype that no matter what it's going to end up sucking in some parts but for mass effect 3 I think all the hate for the ending is justified.

I think part of it is that people whom played through the ME games knew something wasn't right
The video further up (top 10 reasons we hate ME) is actually dead on and the glaringly obvious reasons why the ending was disappointing.
But the indoctination video makes it all suddenly understandable...and actually quite brilliant. Problem is, if that is the case (it has to be actually, there is no real alternative that makes sense, at all.) then ME3 was shipped without an end all together.

Shep is definately indoctrinated. It is hinted at him falling into it through his dreams (the oily people in despair), the boy that turns into the god child, etc etc etc. Soo many neon signs saying he is indoctrinated at the end (especially how after you get hit by the beam, you "awake" running at the ship with trees like in your dream). yep.

So..the ending of ME3 was actually clever...but the end of ME in general hasn't happened yet..and that is the biggest problem.

I don't think they have enough for ME4, but certainly got enough for a rather full DLC..which may have been the point all along (milk it for all its worth)

posted on Apr, 30 2012 @ 12:40 PM
link   

reply to post by SaturnFX

that will piss me off more than any of the endings, knowing that after buying the uncompleted game i now have to pay more for the end.
i would prefere if they just explain it in ME4

I would also like a ME4 game...but I dont think they left enough.
And sort of agreed about that...sort of semi.

The issue I see is, you must "destroy the reapers" for you to offically wake up at the end of the game (the dream) (the breath of air showing your still alive..or that you actually defeated indoctrination). But what happens if you chose the other two...does your companions you chose kick you and wake you up....do you have to choose explode the reapers in order for the DLC to kick in and work (the other two show you dying..aka, you have been indoctrinated, your personality is absorbed, whatever).

I have a love/hate relationship with the mass effect games overall..and ya, I may sneer at them making a ME4 based on this, realizing they didn't ship a full game in ME3...but I would also buy it anyhow cause I love the series in general.

I think the kid (we may find out) is, if anything, his future son that will carry on Shepherd's legacy (and enterprise of course...you can't just murder away such a massive cash cow)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join