It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. soldier charged with 17 murders in Afghan killings

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 10:17 PM
link   

U.S. soldier charged with 17 murders in Afghan killings

news.yahoo.com

A U.S. Army sergeant was formally charged with 17 counts of murder on Friday for killing eight adults and nine children in a pre-dawn shooting rampage in southern Afghanistan that further eroded U.S.-Afghan relations already frayed by a decade of war.

Premeditated murder is a capital offence under the U.S. military justice code, so Bales could face the death penalty if convicted. He would face a mandatory minimum sentence, if convicted, of life imprisonment with eligibility for parole, the military statement said.
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 23-3-2012 by sk0rpi0n because: Added highlights

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 10:17 PM
link   
I ran a search on ATS looking for an article about the soldiers (Robert Bales) conviction, but found nothing.

Its good to see that the soldier has been formally charged with murder....and that he could also face the death penalty. Though I am highly skeptical of the US legal system which I suspect will work towards his favour.

So far, a lot of people have either been excusing his act as a result of stress or have brought up unnecessary diversions to deflect focus from this killer. If there is anything left of "justice", this killer of women and children will get what he deserves in the form of a death penalty.

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 10:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by sk0rpi0n

I ran a search on ATS looking for an article about the soldiers (Robert Bales) conviction, but found nothing.

There hasn't been a trial yet. Convictions come after the trial. He has been charged which means what they think they have enough proof to convict him of.

Its good to see that the soldier has been formally charged with murder....and that he could also face the death penalty. Though I am highly skeptical of the US legal system which I suspect will work towards his favour.

He will not be dealing with the US legal system. He is not being charged by the US legal system. His case falls under the jurisdiction of the military legal system, which has many differences. Uniform Code of Military Justice is different from the US legal system.

So far, a lot of people have either been excusing his act as a result of stress or have brought up unnecessary diversions to deflect focus from this killer. If there is anything left of "justice", this killer of women and children will get what he deserves in the form of a death penalty.

Have you ever spent one day in a warzone?

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 10:27 PM
link   
here's a link with the official charges against him:

i2.cdn.turner.com...

this scum killed women and little kids.

he deserves 17 lethal injections. as matter of fact if there was justice, they'd just hand over this garbage to the families of the kids he killed.

little children. little girls. some of them 3 years old.

even the msm is having a hard time defending his actions without looking like imbeciles and child killers.

at least if he admitted guilt and showed remorse and accepted his punishment, people might forgive him. but not even that, he's hiding behind his lawyer and blaming ptsd.

it'll be 15-25 years before this guy sees a lethal injection. and most likely, they'll find him not guilty by reason of insanity and he'll spend the next decade in a minimum security hospital until he's released.
edit on 23-3-2012 by randomname because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Heres another report.

Army sergeant charged in Afghan massacre

Charges filed Friday against Army Staff Sgt. Robert Bales reflect the horror of the crime: 17 counts of premeditated murder, more than half of them children, during a shooting rampage in southern Afghanistan. But while Afghans are calling for swift and severe punishment, it will likely be months, even years, before the public ever sees Bales in a courtroom.

justice delayed is....?

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 10:40 PM
link   
reply to post by ILikeStars

No.
Have you ever had a foreign soldier come into your house at night and shoot at your loved ones?

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 10:52 PM
link   

No.
Have you ever had a foreign soldier come into your house at night and shoot at your loved ones?

Having spent nearly 4 years of my life in warzones, my answer is: Yes. I have.

ETA: If you are looking for an arguement from me that what Bales is accused of doing was acceptable behavior, you are not going to find such an arguement here. My point was with an opinion formed that was devoid of any basis for reference in experience.
edit on 23-3-2012 by ILikeStars because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 10:53 PM
link   

No.
Nice comeback

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 10:57 PM
link   
I cannot believe there are actually people in this world who would excuse this puke's actions. Anyone who believes there is any excuse whatsoever for murdering women and children in cold blood is, as far as I'm concerned, just as guilty as the murderer himself.

link   
I never knew there was rules to wars, thanks for the reconnaissance .

link   
reply to post by daaskapital

Not really when the guy shot down the question. You arent trying to start anything are you? Anyway the Shooting occured,but there might be a snag since there is very little forensic evidence. I am sure though the JAG and the armys investigators will get to the bottom of it.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 11:01 PM
link   
reply to post by yuppa

His comment wasn't there when i replied, after the reply it was. That stuff happens.

Look at the time differences.
edit on 23-3-2012 by daaskapital because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 11:02 PM
link   

Agreed. It was a very appropriate rebuttal. Not a "Flawless Victory", but I was impressed none the less.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 11:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by PatriotAct
I never knew there was rules to wars, thanks for the reconnaissance .

There are rules of engagement. For example it is against the UCMJ to kill anyone who is surrendering, troops are required to provide medical assistance to wounded enemies, etc. You learn all this in basic training.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 11:12 PM
link   
A ruling should be for the FAMILIES of all his VICTIMS (any family members who are STILL alive after this MADMAN) to have at him for as long as they would like...

FAIR IS FAIR.
edit on 23-3-2012 by HangTheTraitors because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 11:14 PM
link   

Really? You've had foreign soldiers come into your house and shoot at your loved ones? Tell me more.
Did those loved ones happen to be your own family?

Because, in context to this particular news story... when I said "loved ones", I obviously meant family...you know...women, little kids etc.... as experienced by the Afghans who had a foreign soldier coming into their homes and shooting at their "loved ones".

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 11:23 PM
link   

True. Sorry i am still new to the way post are done around here.I have got to stop going to youtube. lol

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 11:37 PM
link   
I love ATS.

Yes, this guy is an ass-hat and if found guilty, ought to hang.

But, as I've said several times in other threads, when the Taliban kill women and children, what do you hear on ATS?

Crickets.

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 12:19 AM
link   

Really? You've had foreign soldiers come into your house and shoot at your loved ones? Tell me more.
Did those loved ones happen to be your own family?

I am firefighter. I was a United States Air Force firefighter at Nellis Air Force Base in Nevada when this happened:

Tread lightly friend. I'm turning my computer off for the night and closing my laptop right now.

edit on 24-3-2012 by ILikeStars because: add a letter I missed.

posted on Mar, 24 2012 @ 03:11 AM
link   
reply to post by sk0rpi0n

like ..here me out here..so this guy did do a terrible thing..killed innocent people..but he also KILLED (im a ssuming, since his a soldier ) other peole in battler..so i guess my question is ..as humans, is killing ok only certain circumstances? or is killing a bad thing period no matter how its done , to who it was done or why it was done?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join