It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are the 1st world countries addicted to Entertainment?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 04:13 PM
link   
In my opinion, the answer to this question is YES. I believe this addiction can be a distraction and can lead to future problems.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 04:17 PM
link   
You say as you attempt to feed the addiction with this thread?
edit on 23-3-2012 by randomtangentsrme because: changed punctuation

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 04:18 PM
link   
I do find entertainment more addictive than most jobs I've done.

Maybe I just didn't find the right job yet?

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 04:24 PM
link   
reply to post by mojo2012

Of course we are, because well its...entertaining!!

All things are fine in moderation, its all about self control.

I'm addicted to Anime
and Magic the Gathering

I think its fine to be addicted to something that you love and is harmless, albeit crack coc aine is probably cheaper than both of the things I mentioned above
maybe I should switch over.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 04:25 PM
link   
OP, care to elaborate more?
Because I prefer boredom, convince me.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 04:26 PM
link   
If you happen to be in Tucson, there are some awesome bands playing at the Bashful Bandit tonight.
Come get your fix. lol

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 04:51 PM
link   
i think the answer is obviously yes

something i heard from somewhere a few months ago... i think it was the big bang theory actually

but it's made me think a lot lately

entertainment is a way to feel happy and accomplished without actually making any accomplishments

they were referring to online gaming, and making small game accomplishments substitute for a lack of any real life accomplishments and make people feel good about themselves

i think in some way this applies to most entertainment, even watching TV helps you forget your troubles

lets you not worry about the lack of other progress made in life

i think people need to start making more real accomplishments with their lives instead of being plugged in to the system

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Nope. They're addicted to being lazy and entitled. Entertainment falls under entitled for most.
edit on 23-3-2012 by GoldenRuled because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 05:15 PM
link   
reply to post by mojo2012

yes most 1st world countries are indeed addicted to entertainment-musicals, concerts, movies, movie stars, the list goes on. Whats worse then entertainment addiction is like here in usa many people must dress like the stars or wear the most up to date fashions, listen to the music is hit on the list. Take Jersey shore, american idol, and the likes of those reality shows, the facination is insane. Myself im a history channel, BIO, and yes some syfy television viewer, BUT I never allow any show or movie to take me to a level of making me dive into the fad and alter the person I am. To me people who alter themselves to resemble a star or political person have a identity crises and havent figured out who they are or dont like who they are or deeply wish they were the person they are trying to resemble. peace

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Addicted... interesting word that.

Well, simply yes. We are addicted to entertainment. (When I use the word "we" I'm referring to the group, not myself or any individual who does not apply to these statements.)

We are addicted to technology, we are addicted to leisure, we are addicted to convenience, we are addicted to drugs, we are addicted to news, we are addicted to love and hate, we are addicted to opinions and thinking!!!

People (especially in 1st world environments) have virtually NO notion of balance. This is why we abuse so many things. We are taught "it's all or nothing!" We are taught "to live life to the fullest." Sadly, we are not taught how to be happy in silence... nor are we taught to appreciate nothingness.

We are not only "addicted" to these things. We are physically DEPENDENT on them, as societies! Our abuse has been so rampant, so complete, that our brains themselves are actually devolving... rewiring themselves to accommodate the way things are. This is a wonderful ability of the brain, but under such a delusional and paper-thin relationship with "toys" and "flashing lights" as they are... our brains are losing critical thinking skills, losing the ability to imagine!

Now, this of course does not apply to all people. Many people use these things with balance, remembering that they are but toys and moments to be entertained. Balance being the operative word. Sometimes these things are valuable tools for expression, communication and evolving ones own life. Of course, the internet is the largest source of information ever known.

To be sure... 1st world countries (as a whole) are not only addicted to entertainment, but are cripplingly dependent on it.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 05:29 PM
link   
Honestly, consider the English language....

Remember how they spoke in Victorian times? Do you realize how thoroughly someone like Shakespear could cut a man down to ribbons using words alone... and without a single expletive or derogatory remark?

Do you remember eloquence? I am a young man, very much in the generation of the devolved English language. Yet, I insist on communicating eloquently. I don't use words like "bro," "dude," "bitch," etc etc... Nor do I employ phrases such as "you know what I'm sayin'?" "and sh*t," "like..." etc etc.

It's sickening to think that if the typical American youth were to be transported in time merely 100 years ago, neither the kid nor the old-timer would have the SLIGHTEST clue what the other was saying!

I contribute this terrible trend to the replacement of fine arts with corporate media. The Money wants us to be dumb, non-critical, knee-jerk thinkers. No time to think! Must buy! No need for meditation! We'll give you all the insights you could ever need!

It's truly sickening, and the fact of the matter is: It's going to TAKE an apocalypse to undo the devolution of mankind.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 05:35 PM
link   
I would say yes. I live in California, and if you try to talk about current events or anything remotely important with most of the people around here, you pretty much become treated like an outcast. Only thing people ever want to talk about is their new favorite show, or their trivial daily matters.No one gives a damn about their rights being stripped away, and if you point it out, you're the crazy one.

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 10:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Aqualung2012

you're pretty much in my line of thinking on this subject.

i don't understand why they do not start teaching about addiction early on in schools and teach them about moderation... i guess they expect the parents to do it.

new topics

top topics

join