It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Earths magnetic pole reversal is happening NOW!!!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 12:09 AM
link   
reply to post by burntheships

Yes, it is accurate.
The magnetosphere diverts charged particles to the poles where they enter the atmosphere. The atmosphere protects us (and people near the poles) from those charged particles and from electromagnetic radiation as well as neutral particles which are not affected by the magnetosphere. If it were not for the atmosphere people at high latitudes would be in grave danger from charged particle radiation. If it were not for the atmosphere people everywhere would be in grave danger from electromagnetic radiation.

This is what I said.

Originally posted by Phage

While the magnetosphere does divert charged particles toward the magnetic poles it doesn't really do much to protect us from solar or cosmic radiation. Electromagnetic radiation and neutral particles are unaffected by the Earth's magnetic field. It is our atmosphere which mainly protects us, even at the poles.

The magnetosphere and the atmosphere are not the same thing.
edit on 3/23/2012 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 12:47 AM
link   
It's been happening for a while, and it's natural. It happens every so often (forgot how long), it's not some conspiracy.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 01:20 AM
link   
As long as the Moon orbits the Earth, we will have a strong magnetic field surrounding us. The field is generated by the effect of gravity pull moving the molten iron particles in the interior core. The Van Allen radiation belt adheres to the Earth in the shape of a torus, which is also an electromagnetic phenom.

As long as we have a Moon, we are safe. A pole flip happens rather slowly, and the only risk is if your property happens to land at one of the poles. Keep a coat handy.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 02:21 AM
link   
if it means anything my birds have been staying up way later then usual, when they normally would be sound asleep their just whistling away

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 03:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by WanderingThe3rd

if it means anything my birds have been staying up way later then usual, when they normally would be sound asleep their just whistling away

Maybe they (or you) were being affected by the time change. Daylight savings (Spring Forward, Fall Back) would mean they now stay up an hour later singing?

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 03:04 AM
link   
Thanks Phage for the refresher course. And all that magnetism could be as bad for us as it was for this frog...

In other words, not at all. We'll just repaint the "N" and "S" on our compasses.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 03:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheIlluminatedOne
If it has taken 300 years to weaken 10%, even if it is increasing in speed wouldn't it still take at least another 100 years or so before it is reduced 100%?

Just want to make sure I'm not alive when this decides to go down

Exactly. Also - the poles can move 6 degrees a day, yet take 3000 years to complete the reversal? That's some crazy math, amigo.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 04:35 AM
link   
Question for Phage,

What role, if any, might Flux Transfer Events play in pole reversal? I have found nothing published about them since this 2008 article.

science.nasa.gov...

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 05:12 AM
link   
reply to post by VoidHawk

Great thread thank you. This is what i have believed for the past decade or so (since being introduced to it by a geologist).

I would have a question though about the possible effects of extra radiation bombardment - evidence suggests that solar radiation has been responsible for kickstarting various stages of evolution on the planet so it may not actually be a bad thing. So therefore, what leads you to believe that this potential extra solar bombardment may be negative?

Also, dredging the grey matter, i seem to recall reading a couple of theories that basically came to the conclusion that the earth's field would regenerate far faster (possibly even over a week or so) - so potentially, we would only have to dodge a solar bullet for a short period of time. I will totally admit though that whilst this theory came from scientists / geologists, they certainly weren't anything like as impressive as the NASA expert you presented.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 06:08 AM
link   

This leaves me wondering whether magnetic pole reversal or a lack of a magnetic shield could be responsible for the many mass extinctions that we know have taken place throughout the earths history.

Perhaps if you'd watched the video you posted in your op you would know the answers to your own questions. However, when in doubt....

Ask a Physicist: Geomagnetic Reversal - The End of the World?

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 07:23 AM
link   

Great Video!

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 07:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by christina-66

This leaves me wondering whether magnetic pole reversal or a lack of a magnetic shield could be responsible for the many mass extinctions that we know have taken place throughout the earths history.

Perhaps if you'd watched the video you posted in your op you would know the answers to your own questions. However, when in doubt....

I dont know what makes you think I didnt watch the video but I suspect its already too late for those on the end of your malformed link.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 08:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Seriously, how can you guys an gals run around talkin about what happened 5000, 50,000 500,000 years ago. It is utter BS. You have no scientific proof that any of these damn theories are any more than that, just some intellectual BS that someone spews and another bunch of academics brain fart and agree that it makes sense.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 08:53 AM
link   
This is a really awesome thread, thanks op :-), and thanks Phage for sharing all your knowledge on this!

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 08:59 AM
link   
cripe - kaint find my compass.
oh well i'd rather have a beer.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 09:33 AM
link   
No worries from this guy...I wear SPF 100 lol: I have to I'm a ginger.

Why do you think the Fukushima event happened? We've all been exposed to radiation so if the big event were to happen years down the road we will have built up a stronger immunity and thus a better chance of survival.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by VoidHawk

Originally posted by christina-66

I dont know what makes you think I didnt watch the video but I suspect its already too late for those on the end of your malformed link.

yeah, tried that link and it did not work.
Some people just feel tne need to be rude I guess.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 09:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by DOLCOTT
reply to post by Phage

Seriously, how can you guys an gals run around talkin about what happened 5000, 50,000 500,000 years ago. It is utter BS. You have no scientific proof that any of these damn theories are any more than that, just some intellectual BS that someone spews and another bunch of academics brain fart and agree that it makes sense.

Yep the Earth is flat - The Moon is made of cheese - what does science know

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by jibajaba
cripe - kaint find my compass.
oh well i'd rather have a beer.

So long as it is not a metal can of beer you should be fine - Who knows Sirius B might go nuts - come too close and nick it along with all our knifes and forks

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 10:09 AM
link   
reply to post by christina-66

I believe this is the video you were trying to link to:

Don't mind the others having a go at you, they're too lazy to find the video, it's easier to laugh and dismiss it instead....

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join