It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Earths magnetic pole reversal is happening NOW!!!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 07:23 PM
link   
I have not posted in awhile but I agree, my head is spinning from a couple cockails after work...

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 07:27 PM
link   
Although it takes a long time for a reversal to get started the evidence provided by the lava records suggest it accelerates quite quickly as it nears the state of reversal. This acceleration is proven by pottery made over the last 300 years.

The scientists in the vid think it could lead to hundreds of thousands of cancer deaths per year if the magnetic poles become unstable.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by MamaJ

In my experiments with a plasma ball and florescent bulb I have found the human biofield em field does have a blocking/redirecting effect taking the emf from hitting the bulb. Applying a similar model effect to a planet with a collapsed missing field I would expect to see a lot more charged particles and the effects they would have via induction and interference would certainly be noticeable.
reply to post by Shirak

Interference WOULD be noticeable.

So... what if anything are we noticing?

The usual communications interference. Possible harmonic or inductive resonance leading to electrical systems failure.
In comms installs we cannot lay com cable within a certain distance to a transformer or other hv or VHV high voltage or very high voltage object. The reason being is that the electromagnetic field they produce can induct a potentially lethal voltage in the cabling. If this occurred on a planetary scale (a hypothetical saturation) we could potentially see some deaths by electrocution from people touching long metallic objects or at least shocks.
(I am being hypothetical here.)
I have found in my own experimentation that electromagnetic resonance can cause failure in light bulbs and fluorescent bulbs even at very low voltage. In a collapse or switch scenario where particles are not being redirected by our field I would expect to see an increase in light bulb failure as well as other sensitive electronics.
In such a super charged environment it may be an idea to earth metallic objects before touching. Having said this I am being hypothetical. I While I accept a pole shift could be possible. I have not seen enough evidence in my current knowledge base to form an opinion on it being imminent yet.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 08:10 PM
link   
reply to post by VoidHawk

You seem to be mixing things up and arriving at conclusions which are not made in the video.

Pottery shows that the strength of the magnetic field weakened faster in the past 300 years than it has in the past 5 thousand years. That doesn't really mean much. The show didn't seem to mention that the magnetic field is as strong now as it was 50,000 years ago.

Although it takes a long time for a reversal to get started the evidence provided by the lava records suggest it accelerates quite quickly as it nears the state of reversal.

That's not exactly what was said in the video.

The narrator in the video says 100,000 additional cancer deaths. That's a 1.3% increase over current rates.

edit on 3/22/2012 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 08:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by SonOfTheLawOfOne

We could be in a reversal or not. Since most indications show that reversals take thousands of years to occur, it's pretty hard to tell.

That's not your opinion, that's just an answer.
I really want to know what you think......

In the vid, one of the most damning pieces of evidence is geological records from lava flows that indicate a reversal occurred very rapidly, moving 6 degrees per day! That is not going to take thousands of years to finish... that would happen over the course of a month. The possibility of us experiencing that is there, no matter how unlikely it may seem.

The other part is the South Atlantic Anomaly, which is well documented and has been occurring over the past several years. There is large discussion about the Van Allen belts causing this, but I don't believe that for one second, especially not after listening to the scientists that are immersed in the study of our magnetic field, and believe the SAA is a loop of the opposite direction of magnetic flow reforming in the southern hemisphere.

Last but not least, there is the increasing rate of movement of the magnetic north towards Siberia. The increase in that forward movement has been larger than the previous year.

All of these things do align with what the OP mentions and what is discussed in the video.

To be honest, I'd rather it take a month than a hundred years, no? I guess those are the two types we're aware of... according to one set of rocks, it can happen 6 degrees a day, which would mean after 30 days, you'd have a 180 degree flip / reversal. According to the other sets of rocks, it could take hundreds or thousands of years to happen. The slower it happens, it would appear the more damaging the consequences.

The video demonstrated a few new facts I was not aware of, so I would encourage others to watch.

Good find OP, S&F.

~Namaste

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 08:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Just a question for you if you don't mind since you are the ATS go to guy for everything related to space.

I understand that magnetic reversal has happened many times in the past and poses little to no threat, but if we were to lose our magnetic field that would pose a serious threat to life on earth correct? Wouldn't we lose our atmosphere to the solar wind?

Thanks in advance

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 08:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Just a question for you if you don't mind since you are the ATS go to guy for everything related to space.

I understand that magnetic reversal has happened many times in the past and poses little to no threat, but if we were to lose our magnetic field that would pose a serious threat to life on earth correct? Wouldn't we lose our atmosphere to the solar wind?

Thanks in advance

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 08:57 PM
link   

While the magnetosphere does divert charged particles toward the magnetic poles it doesn't really do much to protect us from solar or cosmic radiation. Electromagnetic radiation and neutral particles are unaffected by the Earth's magnetic field. It is our atmosphere which mainly protects us, even at the poles.

Phage,

Can you expound on your explanation there, as it seems to contradict
other information readily available.

Earth's magnetic field is very important to the atmosphere in another way. It shields the Earth from most of the charged particles and radiation from the Sun, although in severe solar storm conditions there is not enough shielding to entirely protect satellites, some communication equipment on Earth, and electric power grid systems. The magnetic field also directs the streams of particles from the Sun into magnetic field lines, resulting in the aurora, as well as enhancement or disturbance of communication signals beamed through the atmosphere.
www.newton.dep.anl.gov...
edit on 22-3-2012 by burntheships because: bolding emphasis mine

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 09:02 PM
link   
reply to post by SonOfTheLawOfOne

I don't really have an opinion. Not enough data. But I'm not particularly worried either way.

The Steen's mountain data is somewhat controversial. Existing models for geomagnetic reversals can't really account for such rapid changes. From Jonathan Glen, one of the geologists involved:

Glen says that there is still much to learn about reversals and admits the possibility that the RTFC phenomenon may be localized. "The reversal process is more complex than these rapid directional changes. This is one place in the world where we've observed this. The other is Steens Mountain. We don't know how extensive these kinds of fluctuations are around the globe. There may be localized eddies. Smaller currents produce fields only locally, which you might not see on the other side of the globe. During a transition, these local features might dominate."

www.earthexplorer.com...
Yes, such localized rapid changes could occur during a transition but overall the evidence indicates that global reversals occur over the span of thousands of years. However, there is no evidence of such rapid localized shifts happening anywhere today.

There is no indication that the Van Allen belts have anything to do with the existence of the SAA. In fact, it is the belts which are affected by the anomaly. The magnetic anomaly is not a localized reversal of the magnetic field, it is a region of reduced field strength. But it is hardly unique. When the overall dipole is not considered, the Earth's magnetic field is a very inconstant thing.
news.bbc.co.uk...

While the movement of magnetic north is faster now than it has been in the past, that past only goes back about 200 years. That's not much time to base arrive at any conclusions.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Manhater
I can definitely feel the pole shift with the child's attitude lately. Rather than being defiant, destructive and obtrusive. She has been calm, nice and everything in between. She would rather go to sleep, then make my life a nightmare. Something is definitely up. But, hey I am not complaining. Can definitely live without that drama everyday.

Maybe these pole shifts have something to do with it.
edit on 22-3-2012 by Manhater because: (no reason given)
Better check your house for peeling lead based paint

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 09:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Buddha1098

If the Earth's magnetic field disappeared the atmosphere would be exposed directly to the solar wind. It is thought that may be the reason Mars lost most of its atmosphere, it would have been swept into interplanetary space. However Earth is much more massive than Mars, it's gravity is much stronger so it would hold onto its atmosphere harder than Mars was able to. It took millions (or billions) of years for Mars' atmosphere to be lost, it would take longer for Earth's.

But we also have the model of Venus. Venus (also more massive than Mars) has no global magnetic field yet it has a very thick atmosphere. So perhaps Earth could hold its atmosphere too.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 09:09 PM
link   
reply to post by burntheships

Actually, he says exactly the same thing I said. Earth's magnetic field directs charged particles toward the magnetic poles.

But I don't know why he says "charged particles and radiation". If he's talking about electromagnetic radiation he is wrong. Obviously electromagnetic radiation (like light) passes through the magnetosphere unaffected.
edit on 3/22/2012 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 09:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Can you provide a source that would demonstrate how he is wrong?
Just curious, as that is from the DOE Office of Energy.

David R. Cook
Meteorologist
Climate Research Section
Environmental Science Division
Argonne National Laboratory

You know, one of those very expensive Climate Research Divisions....
edit on 22-3-2012 by burntheships because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 09:56 PM
link   
The reversal of the Earth's magnetic field is not truly random, it is determined by the movement of the Earth's continental tectonic plates. There are at least two theories that support this linkage. One can be found in the March issue of Physicsworld magazine.

The second theory posits a linkage between the continental tectonic plates and movement of the Earth's core elements (inner/outer/densest part of lower mantle) based on the conservation of angular momentum. Basically what this means is that when there is an asymmetrical distribution of the Earth's continental tectonic plates relative to the equator, the inner core will move away from its central postion within the outer core. This is what causes the dipole field to weaken while the quadrupole and octupole fields strengthen and eventually cause a reversal. A PDF summary of this theory can be viewed at www.dinoextinct.com, click on 'The Gravity Theory of Mass Extinction' if interested.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 10:06 PM
link   
Bumping the thread. I like what I'm reading so far and the way the thread responses are handled (no trolls).

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 10:11 PM
link   

Nice find, great video so far, thank you VoidHawk!

I wanted to add that Gary Glatzmaier's research is also here, with some very nice
animated simulations of the modeled pole reversals.

www.psc.edu...
edit on 22-3-2012 by burntheships because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 10:32 PM
link   

reply to post by burntheships

Actually, he says exactly the same thing I said.

How so?

But I don't know why he says "charged particles and radiation". If he's talking about electromagnetic radiation he is wrong. Obviously electromagnetic radiation (like light) passes through the magnetosphere unaffected.

Again, that does not seem accurate.

The Earth's magnetosphere deflects the vast majority of charged particles ejected during a solar storm (98%) and the Earth's atmosphere protects us from electromagnetic radiation (i.e. X-rays, UV rays, etc) and any charged particles that do make it past the Earth's magnetic field. c2h2.ifa.hawaii.edu...

edit on 22-3-2012 by burntheships because: in fact it seems exactly the opposite

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 10:58 PM
link   

I read somewhere that the north pole has increased movement
from 10km per yr. to 10km per month (since 1970)

* I tried to insert a ^ graph, but ats has censored it

As for any connection to previous extinctions, I think that volcanic
activity and weather changes, earthquakes and floods
could have very well been a result of magnetic-field disruptions.

edit on 22/3/12 by ToneDeaf because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 11:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

And now a given Defence argument that explains more when it comes to CO2 + NO, than early Climate change fanatics did. PHAGE, you are far wiser than I ref; the solar system, so I wonder if you can see 'Possible' oncoming problem increase as 2013 approaches? And supposing the following could become a perhaps more regular fault.

science.nasa.gov...

Could it be this excessive bulge of wattage that helps wobble the Core slightly?

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 11:45 PM
link   

I think a few more exlamation marks would have sealed the deal here. People just don't know how serious this is because you failed to insert the proper number of exlamation marks.

Let me help.

Earths magnetic pole reversal is happening NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There, that should do it.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join