It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

For UK members. If you own a TV you must have a licence. WRONG!

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 07:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by michael1983l
reply to post by Insomniac

Very good point, you are indeed right. The license fee did fund the BBC's change to Digital. However Arqiva did not see this money nor was it intended to upgrade the transmitter network. Much more infrastructure needs upgrading other than the transmitter network.

£800 million would have gone a long way to doing that though, it wasn't just for BBC channels. In my previous link, it says 'funding the digital switchover'.

Sorry Michael I have to go for now, just done 72 hours of nights - you'll know all about that!

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 07:42 AM
link   
the license fee is ridiculous , the BBC shows are wank!
and the BBC are total idiots.
Their news website is the most biased I have ever seen , well maybe
not but its extremely biased

Im going to cancel my license again as I dont even watch tv
I just use my tv for watching DVD's
and gaming

The BBC has a monopoly on the broadcasting in the UK
why should the broadcasting be controlled by them and them only
with regards to the license fee

edit on 23-3-2012 by sapien82 because: (no reason given)

link   
reply to post by Insomniac

Indeed I do I am on nights myself tonight. we are just arguing semantics now anyway. Have a good sleep.

link   

Originally posted by PW229
I have paid. I do not download content from "dodgy sites." I purchase the DVD's then rip them to a hard drive. I can produce the original DVD for every single TV show, film on the drive. So my point stands, I would be "paying again" if I purchased a TV license purely because I own a television.

You should change your username to Pinocchio, I think.

If you've got the original material on dvd, as you claim, what's the virtue in putting on a hard drive ? To me, the advantage of doing that is simply not apparent.

So, if you don't mind, I'll call you out on that one. You're just freeloading. There's no shame in admitting it, that's what so many people do. But just man up, grow a pair and admit it, huh ?

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 07:49 AM
link   
The courts, TV licencing and a act of treason.

Exactly what it states, the law is not clear cut, how do you feel about being made to commit an act of treason against the crown.

People have beaten the TV licensing monster.

edit on 23-3-2012 by The X because: (no reason given)

This is an education, the basis of law in the uk and how the deception is created from something "Lawful".
This lecture is given by Veronica the founder of FMOTL linked to at the top of the page, take the time to watch this.

There is information regarding tv licensing directly in the first 20mins of johns address, interesting it is too.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 08:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by mattifikation
Wow. The UK is the prime example of what happens when people sit back quietly and let the government strip away their rights.

Next time one of you UK citizens get arrested for something you got caught doing on CC camera, you should ask the prosecutor if he had a TV license to watch you in the first place.

Hahahahahah my god, this is how it has been since 1946.

Damn, this thread is causing me to get blood disease I know it... every vein hurts...

Rights being stripped away????????

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 08:26 AM
link   
I know we're not supposed to post just to say thanks, but i am, i never realised there was so much to this before, so THANKS

p.s.

I hear Indigo People get free NCP parking, i wonder if they don't have to pay the TV fee ;+]

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 08:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Insomniac

Originally posted by mattifikation
Wow. The UK is the prime example of what happens when people sit back quietly and let the government strip away their rights.

Not really, the BBC has always been funded this way... Since the 1930's at least.

OMG YOU MEAN ...

Man I said something like that on page 2 or 3... no point trying to tell people, it's all "Rage" then on to the next thread so everything is groovy man.. they know whats wrong with the world.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 08:28 AM
link   
reply to post by ChaoticOrder

You are still getting ads on Foxtel.

That annoyed me no end. I pay for tv, and they throw me advertisements.

Rather watch fta, personally, on my pvr, maybe 10 mins ahead, so I can skip ads.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 08:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by qvision
Not paying for stuff is a british hobby, as is anti-authoritarianism, so i'm totally with you but you should at least have the guts to say "ye i watch TV but i'm not paying whitehall for the pleasure".

You Cowards ;+]

Don't you know it's againts T&Cs to promote illegal stuff on ATS? I thought everyone knew that. It's nothing to do with guts, it's common sense. How could people discuss this on here otherwise? Duh!

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 09:37 AM
link   
reply to post by wigit

So the concept of 'free speech' on here is you're not allowed, kinda makes a mockery of deny ignorance. You do know that could be covered by the same disclaimer that all the studios use, as in 'the statements on the following boards do not reflect the opinions of the company or individuals employed by the company' etc etc, you know the ones. This T&C is just a massive cop out

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 10:21 AM
link   
This is the first I've ever heard of this.

Why on earth do y'all need a license if you wish to watch broadcast TV?
Do you have to pay per person?
Per TV?

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 10:45 AM
link   

It’s against the law to watch or record TV programmes as they're being shown on TV without a valid licence. This includes the use of devices such as a TV, computer, mobile phone, games console, digital box or DVD/VHS recorder. Watching TV without a valid licence is a criminal offence. This can lead to prosecution, a court appearance and a fine of up to £1,000 (not including legal costs).

UK TV Licensing

So if discussing illegal matters is verboten under the T&C's, then this thread should be pulled, right ?

Because some contributors here are freeloaders ... they're breaking UK criminal law themselves & encouraging others to do so too.

(of course, ATS won't do anything, the world outside the USA doesn't exist)

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Conspiracy! They are making you pay a fee for the television just to add more "appeal" to watching it. As in, because you paid the fee, it must be worth watching... or you'll certainly watch it now that you paid the fee to get your money's worth... so on. I think it's just making the television look more like a "right" than it really is. What right is having something in your home that deliberately sets out to brainwash you?

They are making you fight to be brainwashed. Don't pay the fee. Throw out the TV. Done.

They're trying to do the same thing with the internet. They know how to "trick" people into caring about things that they haven't really asked themselves if they really care about it and why. The internet and television are corporate-government tools to brainwash you about how you perceive yourself, your world, the people around you, everything... and then to gather and statistics they can from you. You are using a tool that leads to a Dead End, no matter which way you turn.

When the fight is on about them taking the television and the internet, let it go. Don't fight for something that was never intended to work for you. Once you know the truth, you'll find no pages on the internet and no reporter on television will ever tell you what you know to be true.

/rant

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 11:24 AM
link   
reply to post by LeBombDiggity

Why don't you complain to a mod and get this thread shut down then. It's been quite enlightening to some folk who had no idea about TV licencing in general. Maybe also to some folk who have no need for a licence and they didn't even know it. But you seem like a miserable old so-and-so, thinking everyone's a liar or a crook. Getting the whole thread taken down might cheer you up a wee bit. Whatever makes you happy...

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 11:46 AM
link   
reply to post by wigit

What do you mean, people who had "no idea" about tv licences ?

What, is that people who've been living under a stone since after the end of the second world war ? People who don't know about electricity ? Folk who've got a magic ray box in the corner of their room, a box which provides flickery pictures of people from far away lands. And not once has it crossed their mind how this gets paid for ?

Get real. You have such a poor opinion of your fellow contributors.

You honestly seem to think your thread has cast lamplight into some impenetrable black dark pit, don't you ? That somehow everyone has become so well informed, all thanks to you.

Tragically, for you and this gash thread, the rules for having a tv licence are on a leaflet at the Post Office. They're published online. They're even on the licence itself, the printed version, they also accompany the online version. A pigs bladder on a stick knows you only need a tv licence if you watch LIVE television broadcasts.

Everyone apart from you, that is. I wouldn't even boast about not knowing the rules, I'm not even English and know how the tv licence thing works ... you've not only made your own ignorance into a permanent contribution here, you've also worn you ignorance on your sleeve for all to see.

More fool you,

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by LeBombDiggity

Tragically, for you and this gash thread, the rules for having a tv licence are on a leaflet at the Post Office. They're published online. They're even on the licence itself, the printed version, they also accompany the online version. A pigs bladder on a stick knows you only need a tv licence if you watch LIVE television broadcasts.

Originally posted by LeBombDiggity
(of course, ATS won't do anything, the world outside the USA doesn't exist)

I'm guessing you think the world outside of the UK doesn't exist.
I never knew that you need a license to watch Live TV in the UK.
I find this thread very interesting because I like learning about things I didn't even know existed before.
If I hadn't found this thread I would have never know about this.

It seems like you want to be angry just to be angry.
Please stop trolling this thread as your opinions don't represent me or anyone else who find this thread interesting.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 11:59 AM
link   
I wish I'd known this when I was 19.
I had a man knock on my door, saying we didn't have a TV licence, and that it was against the law for us to have a TV and not have a licence for it (jeez, it's not a dangerous dog breed!). I explained to him that we didn't even have an aerial inlet into the property, and that he could come and check it if he liked, which he did.
Upon inspecting the TV, which was an old piece of crap anyway, he informs me that I'd have to pay to get a technician to DE-TUNE the TV, to ensure it wouldn't be ABLE to receive broadcasts, just in case we were dirty tv licence dodging fiends.
THEN he read me my rights, as if I was a criminal! I had to sign a form to say he'd read me my rights, and that I understood that if I was to watch broadcasted television, I was likely to get a fine and or a criminal sentence.
Looking back, I feel I should be apologized to for being treated like a piece of # when I was well within the law and did nothing to warrant me having my rights read to me!

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 12:03 PM
link   
I think this is all very muddy. People flinging viewpoints this way and that without really considering what at stake here. Here in the UK most people watch commercial channels too, but even they don't have anywhere near the number of commercials that US channels have. Its funny watching American programs because you can see the joins where there would have been an ad break in America.

The BBC is the oldest broadcaster in the world, and when it started it was a totally different ball game. They needed a way to pay for this new communication medium, and so hence the license fee was introduced. This worked when everyone paid and all was fair. The BBC was pretty much the main TV broadcaster in the UK until the majority of people started getting Sky, cable, and then Freeview and FreeSat. Then we add the internet into the fray and the whole thing becomes un-workable.

So really, the license fee WAS fair and understandable and enabled the BBC to produce some of the best content in the world. Plus it was better to watch because there were no annoying adverts. But it has to be realised that the license fee is simply a joke in today's multi-media world. It might be a nice idea but it is impossible to enforce, it is totally unfair (if some people watch online without paying then that is not fair on those who do), and also the quality of BBC programs has dropped like a rock anyway, so really it is a lost argument.

BBC license fee system = nice idea when it was able to work, but utterly out-dated and the BBC are now grasping at straws and using intimidation in a last desperate attempt to cling onto their position.

The old ways were easier, but they just can't exist any more.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 12:04 PM
link   
ha ha you need licenses to watch TV

America won

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join