It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are We Really Moving At These Amazing Speeds Through Outer Space?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 04:45 AM
link   
What if Space itself is the conspiracy? Moon, Sun, Blue Sky, Star Wars, Planets, NASA, Aliens, UFO's etc etc. All the attention seems to be drawn towards "Possible Life in Space". What if this is all a project? How do we know there are only 7 continents? Have we been in space? Antarctica? The Moon?

"The Truman Show" is somewhat an example. Sail out to sea only to hit a wall.

edit on 25-3-2012 by holywar666 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by holywar666
What if Space itself is the conspiracy? Moon, Sun, Blue Sky, Star Wars, Planets, NASA, Aliens, UFO's etc etc. All the attention seems to be drawn towards "Possible Life in Space". What if this is all a project? How do we know there are only 7 continents? Have we been in space? Antarctica? The Moon?

"The Truman Show" is somewhat an example. Sail out to sea only to hit a wall.

edit on 25-3-2012 by holywar666 because: (no reason given)

Life itself is a conspiracy and sometimes i think that our entire space program is hoax and a lie designed to try and keep us all thinking and looking in the wrong direction,up there into outerspace instead of down here where we are...

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 05:12 PM
link   
Galaxies are so incredibly far away that there would be no way for a human to notice any relative motion caused by the movement of them and us.

The stars we see are closer, but they are still quite far away, and mostly moving in the same general direction as the Sun. So that motion will also be hard to notice over one human lifetime. However, over thousands of years, the movement of the Sun and other stars can cause them to be in different relative positions to us and to each other.

One interesting case is "Barnard's Star", which is in some respects a "runaway star". It is quite close to us (6 light years), and it is not moving the same general direction through the Milky Way as everyone else is. During the course of one human lifetime, Barnard's Star will noticeably move against the seemingly static background of the other stars -- about half the diameter of a full moon (although Barnard's star is too dim to see without a telescope).

Wikipedia - Barnard's Star

Of course, Barnard's Star won't be the onlystar that would move a measurable distance in, say, 75 years time, but it will be moving the most. The changing position of most other stars will require instruments to measure the change.

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 11:04 PM
link   
reply to post by blocula

Look up the theory of relativity.

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 11:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Soylent Green Is People

It really doesnt matter how far away from us everything else may or may not be,that doesnt change the fact that we are led to believe that the earth is supposedly and ultimately moving through the universe at the mind bending speed of 2,237,000 mph and i find that very,very hard to believe and actually,i dont believe it at all...

Because most everything that we are taught and told to think and believe about the earth and outer space by the mainstream teachers scientists and astronomers are nothing but theories and a lot of those people are high paid liars,whos misleading words and ideas about our existence and reality itself tptb are force feeding us into accepting,just because they happen to fit their currently enforced belief structures and they are not in the habit of spreading the truth...

But they are in the very nasty habit of keeping the vast majority of us thinking and looking in the wrong direction,up there into that magnificent illusion we call outerspace,instead of around us here on earth,an earth that we actually know very little about,because 95% of its total mass is completely unknown to us and totally unexplored by us...

edit on 25-3-2012 by blocula because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 11:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by blocula
It really doesnt matter how far away from us everything else may or may not be,that doesnt change the fact that the earth is supposedly and ultimately moving through the universe at 2,237,000 mph and i find that very,very hard to believe...

No, but it explains why you can't see it.

If you see a car a long way away, does it seem to move as fast as one right next to you driving at the same speed?

It's OK to be curious and ask questions but dood, you also have to learn to know when you have the answer.

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 11:31 PM
link   
reply to post by blocula

Everything in the Universe is in motion.

But, each and every motion is relative to some other object....depends solely on what you use for reference, for comparison.

And yes, the Earth moves. We are part of it, and move with it.

If you were to take a passenger flight to Mars, then your velocity, relative to the Earth, would be one thing to measure;

Your velocity relative to the Sun would be another thing to measure; Depending on your direction of travel, relative to the Sun.

If it is true that you have a "hard time" wrapping your mind around this rather simple concept, then.....I can only feel a little bit of pity, and maybe some sadness, at the state of the educational system (in the sciences) wherever you live.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 12:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by ProudBird
reply to post by blocula

If it is true that you have a "hard time" wrapping your mind around this rather simple concept, then.....I can only feel a little bit of pity, and maybe some sadness, at the state of the educational system (in the sciences) wherever you live.

I fail to see my sustained and unbendable disbelief and bewilderment requiring any form of pity or sadness from the fact that i'm just automatically expected to believe without question that the earth is moving thorough this magnificent illusion we call outer space at the head bending,mind warping speed of 2,237,000 mph,thats "Two Million,Two Hundred And Thirty Seven Thousand Miles Per Hour" and yet those lighter than air fluffy white clouds up there in the sky just float around undisturbed by those incomprehensible speeds and are not just whisked away? and just to throw it out there,a bullet fired from a high powered rifle travels about 2,000 mph and so we are supposedly traveling at 1,118 times faster than a bullet?!?!...Come on?!?!...Anyone wanna try selling me the brooklyn bridge?

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 04:10 AM
link   
reply to post by blocula

and yet those lighter than air fluffy white clouds up there in the sky just float around undisturbed by those incomprehensible speeds and are not just whisked away?

Why exactly should they be whisked away? Space is a vacuum, there is nothing to whisk them away.

.Come on?!?!...Anyone wanna try selling me the brooklyn bridge?

I too think it is sad that you cannot comprehend these basic facts of physics. You remind me of those peasants in middle ages who could not understand that Earth is a sphere..

edit on 26/3/12 by Maslo because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 06:36 AM
link   

and yet those lighter than air fluffy white clouds up there in the sky just float around undisturbed by those incomprehensible speeds and are not just whisked away?

Looks like someone needs some very basic physics lessons...don't take this as an attack or anything, i do applaud you questioning something, but it seems you lack the general basic physics lessons in order to see how earth's "magical fluffy clouds" as you so eloquently put it stay around the globe and don't "whisk" away.

The atmosphere of Earth is a layer of gases surrounding the planet Earth that is retained by Earth's gravity.

We are really hurtling trough space at those incredible speeds.

I once did a calculation, we and our entire planet travel a total of 32 million miles per day.(not taking in account the spin of the milky way galaxy (which in it's place revolves around other galaxies)
Just goes to show how relative movement and speed is.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 06:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dashdragon

Originally posted by massiveffect
It might be because everything else is moving around the same speed also. Think of it as if your driving on the freeway at 70 mph and you pass another vehicle that is going 65 mph. If your looking at only the other vehicle and not the road or backgraound if will seem your only moving acouple Mph. Not sure if the same applies to Celestial body's but thats just my two cents.
I hear what your saying and i know exactly what you mean...

But the fact remians,supposedly,that the earth,with us and everything else on it,our solar system and the entire galaxy are all moving at many thousands,hundreds of thousands and millions of mph...

And so while driving down that highway at 70 mph,stick your hand or head out the window and its very obvious that your moving fast...

The earth is spinning really fast,while orbiting very fast through a solar system thats traveling extremely fast around a galaxy thats moving mind bendingly fast...

Yet when we're outside both day and night,it looks,feels and seems like theres very little movement, almost like nothings moving at all..

And all those white and grey clouds just hanging up there in the sky,the oceans and you and i are not all just effortlessly blown away into space,even though we're actually and ultimately moving at a speed of 2,237,000 mph through the universe?!?!
edit on 22-3-2012 by blocula because: (no reason given)

We're also moving through a vacuum, which by definition means there really isn't any friction to blow away anything like the passage of the air outside your car would.

Then how are spaceships able to propel themselves forward in a frictionless vacum,what are their rockets pushing against that allows them to move outwards once their in outer space?...Nothing?

edit on 22-3-2012 by blocula because: (no reason given)

Rockets dont push off anything thats not how they work. Newton's Third Law is usually expressed as, "For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction," So in other words sending something in one direction causes a force in the other direction to be applied.With enough force you move. Dr Goddard was considered crazy because people were under the impression rockets used the air to move. But all the air does is slow down the rockets acceleration.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 08:33 AM
link   

It really doesnt matter how far away from us everything else may or may not be...

But it does.

If a person standing one meter in front of you moves one step to the left, you would easily notice his difference in position bewteen where he is now and where he was before he moved. If that same person was standing 1 km away and took the same step to the left, you would have a very difficult time noticing his "before and after" difference in positions (unless you measured his before and after locations with precise instruments).

...that doesnt change the fact that we are led to believe that the earth is supposedly and ultimately moving through the universe at the mind bending speed of 2,237,000 mph and i find that very,very hard to believe and actually,i dont believe it at all...

I suppose if every astronomer in the whole world with the capability of measuring the changing locations of stars were all in on this conspiracy to make us think were are really moving when were are actually sitting still, then I guess you could be on to something (although I'm not sure WHY all the world's astronomers and TPTB who are controlling those astronomers would bother).

Personally, I would find it quite weird if we were NOT moving through space, and instead just sitting still. Considering the way gravity works, that would not make any sense at all.

edit on 3/26/2012 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 08:33 AM
link   

...that doesnt change the fact that we are led to believe that the earth is supposedly and ultimately moving through the universe at the mind bending speed of 2,237,000 mph and i find that very,very hard to believe and actually,i dont believe it at all...

And, by the way, why does the speed matter to you? I would think that the speed -- whether it be 2,237,000 mph or 10 mph -- should not make a difference in making it any more believable.

Acceleration is what a person can feel -- NOT speed. In a car, the acceleration to 60 mph can be felt, but once that speed is achieved, and the car continues on the constant speed with no acceleration/deceleration or change in direction, then the person would feel as if he wasn't moving at all (ignoring bumps in the road and engine vibration).

The same thing happens for a space shuttle astronaut. They only feel the sensation of movement when they are accelerating or decelerating. Once they reach 17,000 mph and the engines shut off, they no longer feel they are moving -- even though they are free-falling at 17,000 mph.

...and the same thing is happening with the earth flying through space. If the earth is moving 2,000,000 mph but is not accelerating/decelerating, or has no sudden change in its direction, then that 2,000,000 mph would not be felt. It would feel the same as if we were standing still.

edit on 3/26/2012 by Soylent Green Is People because: sppellling

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 09:18 AM
link   
I seem to keep falling into threads with people who continue to debate but refuse to acknowledge any explanation for the questions they pose.

Again, as has been asked many times over....what exactly do you think the Earth's atmosphere should be 'blown away' by? You're applying your experience with motion in a non-vacuum (the Earth's atmosphere). Your hair in a convertible gets blown away by the air you are traveling through.

This is known as a medium. You are moving through a medium composed of oxygen, nitrogen, etc. It's relative motion compared to the car you are driving in causes the air to pull your hair away from your head no different than when a strong wind does the same to you when you are standing still.

In a vacuum there is no true 'medium', (that requires matter such as the aforementioned atmospheric components) which - as previously mentioned - would would mean there is nothing to act in resistance upon the atmosphere's movement with the Earth to blow it anywhere.

To give an explanation on propulsion in a vacuum...you don't understand how a rocket can propel itself without air to push against...however you are forgetting a simple thing. When you throw a baseball, you aren't just applying force to the ball. In essence you are pushing yourself away from the ball. It's similar to if you were to push against a 2-ton truck, except the mass ratios are reverse. With the ball, you are much more massive than the ball, so it imparts a high acceleration to the ball and sends it flying away from you. The force you impart on yourself away from pushing on the ball when you throw it is miniscule enough (while standing on Earth) that you don't even notice it. However, if you push against the 2-ton truck with enough force, you will push yourself away...or just by doing a pushup on the ground is the same thing really.

You can experience a similar reaction to a vacuum in a swimming pool (which is why NASA does simulations using water). If you and a buddy are in the deep-end and you were to push against them, both of you would move away from each other. The effect is less than in space because you are in water of course since it is a high-friction environment.
edit on 26-3-2012 by Dashdragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Okay,no problem at all,theres just no doubt about it anymore,i do think that we and the earth are definitely traveling outward into an unknown void 1,118 times faster than a bullet and those fluffy white,lighter than air clouds up there in the sky are absolutely strong enough and resiliant enough to withstand those mind numbing speeds and not be whisked away...

Hmmmm?....Actually,i dont think so and i dont and wont believe it for a second,because "they" who are teaching and telling "us" those kinds of things are not in the habit of telling us the real truth about most everything else and so why would they be telling us the truth about that magnificent illusion we are told and taught to think of as outer space?

Seriously think about it...1,118 x faster than a bullet fired from a high powered rifle...No Way...

edit on 26-3-2012 by blocula because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Seriously think about it...1,118 x faster than a bullet fired from a high powered rifle...No Way...

OK -- I thought about it, and as I explained before, it seems more likely we are moving rather than not moving.

I mean, why not? Do you have some specific evidence (besides not trusting what science tells you) that we are NOT moving fast through space (relative to other galaxies). I need a specific reason other than simply your desire to be contrary.

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 04:14 PM
link   
reply to post by blocula

Oh, for Pete's sake!!

Based on any number of your previous threads (and replies), I smell something here....and it is NOT as you seem to appear....but, one more time:

You keep saying that the Earth's clouds are "lighter than air" (they are not) and that they'd be "whisked away" ....which is utterly devoid of logic or reason.

But, let's turn the tables, just for grits and shins......the planet Venus.....does IT move? Come on, you can't wriggle out of this one. Does, it or doesn't it?

If you (correctly) answer "yes", then explain the clouds on Venus. Whilst at it, explain the clouds in the Martian atmosphere....Mars is on the move, too. Or, Jupiter or Saturn, or ANY of the other Gas Giants....just giant balls of mostly gas, themselves.

But, as I expect, this is just a troll thread?? Like many others. Protest my claim, by denying it, and then prove that denial by taking time to learn, form those here who are able to impart their wisdom.

Or, Man up (or 'woman' up) and admit the trolling.

Your choice.....
edit on Mon 26 March 2012 by ProudBird because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Soylent Green Is People

OK -- I thought about it, and as I explained before, it seems more likely we are moving rather than not moving.

I mean, why not? Do you have some specific evidence (besides not trusting what science tells you) that we are NOT moving fast through space (relative to other galaxies). I need a specific reason other than simply your desire to be contrary.

When we look up out into outer space,what we are actually looking at is an intentionally projected hologram, purposefully designed in a particular way so when we see it,our brains will interpret it as being a three-dimensional reality,but thats not what it really is.Its a magmificent illusion and a grand deception,created to trick us and keep us looking in the wrong direction,up,instead of down deep below earths surface and it has been fabricated to enslave our minds while making us feel very helpless,really small and totally trapped with seemingly nowhere else for us to go...

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 04:42 PM
link   
reply to post by ProudBird

I would conclude this guy is a troll....

www.abovetopsecret.com...

No one can be that dumb can they? And all the dumb people who stared his OP? His OP was knocked down as BS on the first page, yet it has 53 pages still arguing nonsense. I guess people just like the easy threads that don't challenge their thinking?

posted on Mar, 26 2012 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by ANOK
reply to post by ProudBird

I would conclude this guy is a troll....

www.abovetopsecret.com...

No one can be that dumb can they? And all the dumb people who stared his OP? His OP was knocked down as BS on the first page, yet it has 53 pages still arguing nonsense. I guess people just like the easy threads that don't challenge their thinking?
Save your troll labeling for the elves,gnomes and faries and thanx for highlighting one of my most popular threads...

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join