It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are We Really Moving At These Amazing Speeds Through Outer Space?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 12:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Foxe

Nice one..

Did it much better than I did

Have a star

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 12:14 PM
link   
reply to post by blocula

Tesla came out with his 300mps or 18,000 mph prediction for his air ship
and we haven't heard a thing since. Did he already test the ship speed at
that point and that is the maximum air speed. The outer space speed
might be even greater given the reach of electrostatic waves which rule
the visible illumination of space. A fact neglected in the quantum age.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Talltexxxan
Im sure 'rocket scientists' have thought about this.
Maybe we could use the speed of everything else to our advantage when intersteler traveling.
Maybe we could just let the other stars come to us, kinda thing. Or propel our rockets in the opsite direction of galaxy travel and use the combined speed of the rocket with the speed of the approaching intersteler body.

Dunno, just a thought.

Its a bit like what you see in a cartoon the coyote has been pushed of the cliff standing on a rock why doesn't he just wait till the last second a step off rock, it wont help he is falling due to gravity at the speed of the rock.

Well your rocket would effectively be dragged along with everything else so nothing would be gained.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 12:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Dashdragon

Blown away by what?

By the fact that we,the earth,the whole solar system and the entire galaxy are all supposedly flying outwards through the universe at the almost incomprehensibly mind numbing speed of 2,237,000 mph,thats what and yet those fluffy white clouds up there in the sky are able to resist and withstand those incredibly fast speeds and not be blown out of the atmosphere and into outer space.How is that even possible and why is that just accepted as being truth and fact without question?

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by blocula

I think a return to some basic physics lessons is in order....

Then how are spaceships able to propel themselves forward in a frictionless vacum,what are their rockets pushing against that allows them to move outwards once their in outer space?

The action of mass being propelled in one direction imparts a force on the other body, the other mass that is having the mass "thrown" away.

You can see this for yourself.....on ice, with ice skates, or on level ground, with roller blades. Pick up a large mass, a bowling ball, or big rock.....then, toss it horizontally. That act (the toss) will propel you in the opposite direction.

The ice, and ice skates simulate less friction (not exactly, since it's still there).

Is it possible that there are really persons unaware of these simple physical principles??

Look at this, beginning @0:30:

At 1:30 is the basics of a rocket engine. (AND, no.....the escaping CO2 in the tank is NOT "pushing" against the air. That would work exactly the same in a vacuum. In fact, better, since there is no air resistance to the object moving, as a result of the force of the CO2).

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by blocula

Then how are spaceships able to propel themselves forward in a frictionless vacum,what are their rockets pushing against that allows them to move outwards once their in outer space?...Nothing?

edit on 22-3-2012 by blocula because: (no reason given)

Think of a really powerful gun when you fire it the bullet small mass high velocity forces you back the larger mass at a lower velocity.

The fuel being burnt up by the rocket is like a constant stream of bullets leaving the gun, now I think you should google Newtons Laws of Motion!

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 04:35 PM
link   
reply to post by ProudBird

Whenever i've thrown a large bowling ball,or heavy rock,or whatever,i always feel myself moving in the same direction i'm throwing them,not away from them and so in a frictionless void,what exactly is a rocketship propeling itself forward from? Nothing? I can propel myself up by pushing myself off the floor,but once a rocketship is in outer space,theres nothing behind it to propel itself off of and move forward,just an empty, frictionless void and so where exactly is its forward momentum originating from? Nothing?

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 04:38 PM
link   

reply to post by Dashdragon

Blown away by what?

By the fact that we,the earth,the whole solar system and the entire galaxy are all supposedly flying outwards through the universe at the almost incomprehensibly mind numbing speed of 2,237,000 mph,thats what and yet those fluffy white clouds up there in the sky are able to resist and withstand those incredibly fast speeds and not be blown out of the atmosphere and into outer space.How is that even possible and why is that just accepted as being truth and fact without question?

First of all if the earth doesn't seem to you to be spinning fast enough, you may not have looked to the stars much. Even a 3-second exposure will create motion blur if you try to image a star, things in the sky are moving that fast. Distance is what you may be having trouble comprehending.

Thank our planet's gravity to keep our 'air' from blowing away into space, our atmosphere is the vehicle in which you exist.

Once again there is no wind in space, when you toss up a tennis ball in a car going 80 mph it acts as though you are standing still, up, and down.

Everything in a galaxy is in that galactic car, so that motion is unnoticeable because everything is traveling that (relatively but to illustrate the idea, I'm keeping it simple and single topic). Thus everything on a planet in a solar system feels none of the speed of the orbit or the rotation of the planet.

That is why when space agencies tell you how fast a space probe is traveling they tell you two different speeds, one relative to earth, and one relative to the sun. No other speed enters the equation because of the extreme distance between things.

Hope that helps.
edit on 22-3-2012 by Illustronic because: Damn keyboard!

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 04:41 PM
link   
the thing is blocula, it's all relative.

to us the Universe and galaxies are extremely large, but to something else they could be mere specks moving across an infinite plane.

so the speed wouldn't mean anything at that size comparison.

and microscopically everything is moving even faster, so fast it gives an illusion of stability.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 05:06 PM
link   

reply to post by ProudBird

Whenever i've thrown a large bowling ball,or heavy rock,or whatever,i always feel myself moving in the same direction i'm throwing them,not away from them and so in a frictionless void,what exactly is a rocketship propeling itself forward from? Nothing? I can propel myself up by pushing myself off the floor,but once a rocketship is in outer space,theres nothing behind it to propel itself off of and move forward,just an empty, frictionless void and so where exactly is its forward momentum originating from? Nothing?

OK I see you're thinking that a rocket gets momentum from it's exhaust pushing against the air, no probs that is what most people think. (and why some think buildings can collapse themselves with their own mass, eh weedwhacker? lol)

That is not how it works. Equal and opposite reaction, a force in one direction creates an equal force in the opposite direction. So the rocket takes advantage of the opposite force of the exhaust, not the pushing against the air, but against the rocket itself.

edit on 3/22/2012 by ANOK because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 05:16 PM
link   
reply to post by blocula

You know a jet engine doesn't propel itself and it's craft against the air, it accelerates the air it sucks in and propels the thrust against itself. Here's an experiment you may be able to do, get a bazooka, jump up or off of a safe distance and fire the thing when you are not touching the ground, and you will be blown the opposite direction as the projectile.

You are using your bodily motion to propel that bowling ball that is greater than the force of the bowling ball, unless you weigh about 9 pounds.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by ANOK

(and why some think buildings can collapse themselves with their own mass, eh weedwhacker? lol)

We really don't need you to introduce a different subject that you seem to be displaying ignorance in. You should keep that crap where it belongs. Hit and run post's are cowardice.
edit on 22-3-2012 by Illustronic because: quote brakets

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 05:21 PM
link   
reply to post by ANOK

The voyager and discovery deep space probes are moving outwards at around 38,000 mph and they have been for a long time now.But,they obviously didnt leave the earths surface at those fantastic speeds and they didnt leave the earths atmosphere at those fantastic speeds either and so how were they able to attain and maintain that velocity in a frictionless void,the airless vacum of outer space,when there was and is nothing behind them to propel themselves off of to be able to have reached and still keep moving at that speed?

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 05:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Illustronic
We really don't need you to introduce a different subject that you seem to be displaying ignorance in. You should keep that crap where it belongs. Hit and run post's are cowardice.

LOL that was just a friendly dig at ProudBird, please you have no reason to involve yourself. Stay on topic eh?

Nothing ignorant about it, equal and opposite reaction is a very important law in all classical mechanics, and is commonly misunderstood.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 05:29 PM
link   

reply to post by ANOK

The voyager and discovery deep space probes are moving outwards at around 30,000 mph and they have been for a long time now.But,they obviously didnt leave the earths surface at those fantastic speeds and they didnt leave the earths atmosphere at those fantastic speeds either and so how were they able to reach,attain and keep that velocity in a frictionless void,the airless vacum of outer space,when theres nothing behind them to propel themselves off of?

Are you still doubting this? Is this school?

OK one more lesson of very basic physics. Earth has atmosphere which is resistance, which creates drag, which creates heat, which limits an objects speed. Space is a vacuum, no resistance, no limit on speed (other than the speed of light).

edit on 3/22/2012 by ANOK because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 06:03 PM
link   
reply to post by blocula

They both got a gravitational assist from close flybys of Jupiter and Saturn, (Voyager 2 got another from Neptune). Its referred to as a slingshot, using the speed generated by the gravity of a large body to speed it up beyond that body's escape velocity, because technically it will slow a bit leaving the large body also.

You are correct that the Voyagers (and Pioneers for that matter) achieved the suns escape velocity with gravity assist.

New Horizons is one of the few space probes launched from earth orbit fast enough to achieve solar escape velocity, at 1 AU from the sun it amounts to about 36,900 mph relative to the earth, and over 100,000 mph relative to the sun at 1 AU away from the sun.

posted on Mar, 22 2012 @ 10:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Illustronic
reply to post by blocula

You know a jet engine doesn't propel itself and it's craft against the air, it accelerates the air it sucks in and propels the thrust against itself. Here's an experiment you may be able to do, get a bazooka, jump up or off of a safe distance and fire the thing when you are not touching the ground, and you will be blown the opposite direction as the projectile.

You are using your bodily motion to propel that bowling ball that is greater than the force of the bowling ball, unless you weigh about 9 pounds.
Theres no sound in space,theres no air in space,theres no atmosphere in space and so how a jet or rocket operates and flys here in earths atmosphere,would not work at all the same way in outerspace...

Ultimately,the tiny minority of they,are telling the huge majority of us,that the earth is traveling outwards at 2,237,000 mph and i'm suppose to actually believe that? I dont...

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 04:13 AM
link   
reply to post by blocula

Why dont you go and fire one of these maybe then you will understand.

Why do YOU think the people firing the gun go backwards

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 08:22 PM
link   

it is accepted because it is fact. It was determined this by questioning...

What, exactly, would blow the clouds away? The whole atmosphere is held in place by gravity and is protected from being scoured by the solar wind by Earth's magnetic field.

Simple science...

The voyager and discovery deep space probes are moving outwards at around 38,000 mph and they have been for a long time now.But,they obviously didnt leave the earths surface at those fantastic speeds and they didnt leave the earths atmosphere at those fantastic speeds either and so how were they able to attain and maintain that velocity in a frictionless void,the airless vacum of outer space,when there was and is nothing behind them to propel themselves off of to be able to have reached and still keep moving at that speed?

They can maintain their speed precisely because they are in a vacuum and there is no resistance. How they got to that speed is down to constant acceleration assisted by gravitational slingshots.

All this stuff is out there for you to read matey, this is really basic, entry level science....

Theres no sound in space,theres no air in space,theres no atmosphere in space and so how a jet or rocket operates and flys here in earths atmosphere,would not work at all the same way in outerspace...

A jet a rocket operate in entirely different ways. Again, simple stuff that you could learn about in 5 minutes, but clearly can't be arsed. A Jet engine sucks in the surrounding air, heats it and the resulting expansion of hot gases out the rear of the engine pushes the craft forward.

A rocket has it's own oxygen supply on board for the fuel, so does not need at atmosphere to operate in. Same principle, hot gases expelled from the rear propel the craft forward.

really, really, really basic physics that most people learn when they are 12.

Ultimately,the tiny minority of they,are telling the huge majority of us,that the earth is traveling outwards at 2,237,000 mph and i'm suppose to actually believe that? I dont...

HAHAHA, it is verifiable my friend with a basic understanding of science.

If you don't believe it, what do you think is going on? I need a laugh..

posted on Mar, 25 2012 @ 04:31 AM
link   
reply to post by blocula

On a similar tip I never understood why the earth is able to contain an atmosphere? Shouldn't it be all sucked out into that big vacuum called space?

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join