It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ISP's to now be officially and openly watching your downloads

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 09:45 AM
link   
Here's an idea. Don't use any ISP which openly admits to using these monitoring techniques.

They are just following the orders of the music and movie industry.

When their own cash flow becomes affected they might think twice.

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 10:03 AM
link   
Can someone tell me if Charter monitors this. And would a bit torrent program like Vuze along with PeerGuardian suffice?

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 10:20 AM
link   
Well if you guys and gals care about privacy on the inter web then you might want to consider a VPN provider.

The one I use cost about 10 bucks a month and I can choose from tens of thousands of servers to proxy through.

Now with VPN and newsgroups I use the VPN service combined with SLL encryption so all the ISP sees is bandwidth.

BUT if My ISP comes @ me with the content of my downloads I will sue the crap outta them.

Deep packet inspecting is ILLEGAL without a warrant.

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zaanny
Deep packet inspecting is ILLEGAL without a warrant.

That little technicality is apparently no longer relevant.

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 10:40 AM
link   
reply to post by metamagic

If they are breaking into my SSL encryption then it is.

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 11:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Zaanny

They've black-boxed all ISP's. How would you know? It's a bit like a telephone tap, they have "powers" to do it but that doesn't mean they always go "by the book". I read that the UK carries out "inspection" work for the US and the US does the same in reciprocation for the UK. That is their "creative" way to not break the rules...

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 12:29 PM
link   
the majority of the population downloads stuff.
The only answer to this is to clearly get more people to download more stuff, what are they going to do? Arrest and sue everybody?

The internet is being ruined by corporations wanting to make as much money as they can off it. Thats all. Its not about protecting children, its not about catching hackers (because they still wont). Its about money, and having more of it.

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 12:57 PM
link   
I have one reply to IPS's and Uncle. "Nuts!"

I have one word for the solution if they MUST push the public into a corner to fight out from. Tor.

Finally I have one final statement for Big Brother. Now you see me, now you don't. Have a nice day, bro!

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by FelixFelicis
Can someone tell me if Charter monitors this. And would a bit torrent program like Vuze along with PeerGuardian suffice?

Well I use peer block, which replaced peerguardian, but I don't download any illegal files, It just keeps the scriptkiddies from highjacking my computer. I recommend it regardless of the intent, and make sure you configure it correctly. Just hitting next isn't the best solution for it.

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Three things:
First, Tor will drop you if you use their connection for torrenting because it takes up everyone's bandwidth as well. The website warns you not to do it.

Second, Peerguardian/peerblock is an excellent way to protect your computer and I believe its one of the best ways even being freeware! User generated blocklist of bad IP's constantly updated it saved my computer a few times

Third and most important, the internet wasn't brought to us by hackers, the internet was created by the Military in the 50's. So if they had the internet for 30 years previous before the public even knew about it with the personal computing wave, who's to say that they haven't been monitoring everything all along?

edit on 18-3-2012 by kingllama because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 03:23 PM
link   
whats the point. if they banned everyone who downloads copyrighted material, they'll lose billions of dollars and 9/10th of the costumer base.

posted on Mar, 18 2012 @ 04:52 PM
link   
lol @ all the people talking about encryption...

Utorrent encryption does NOTHING for security and keeping your ISP's from seeing what you are doing...

VPN provides some degree of security (Especially from your ISP. Less so from the authorities.), it encrypts all traffic between you and the VPN server. However VPN connections are slow or expensive and more often then not you cannot forward the µtorrent port.

But that is basically your only option.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 09:18 AM
link   
reply to post by porschedrifter

Utorrent encryption does NOTHING for security and keeping your ISP's from seeing what you are doing...

Actually it does. They may be able to tell what you are torrenting, but not if the file you are downloading is a violation of copyright law. They have no case.

Its like driving a car. Are they taking drugs in that car somewhere? We cannot be sure without a warrant based upon probable cause. Now is driving a car probable cause?

Is using utorrent probable cause? So you encrypt your traffic? Is that probable cause? What about people who tint their windows? It is for security and personal safety.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 10:08 AM
link   
I hope they enforce it. Maybe if people will not be able to make their existence as an underpayed workerdrone who has to choose between allocating the little money they have torwards housing, OR food OR healthcare OR retierment barable with free distraction they get themselves online, they will eventually get around to organise themselves to better their situation and fight for better conditions.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 10:34 AM
link   
reply to post by UberL33t

I can't help but think that this is merely just a scared straight style approach to piracy and/or downloading copyrighted material.

Personally, I think this is aimed at newer torrent downloaders, the ones with much experience in these matters, those used to using proxies, encryption, and strong firewalls will continue to download, while the new ones will be afraid to. I have Time Warner Roadrunner, and Tech Support told me that they cannot tell when I am doing at home on my computer. The do admit to Echelon, but that is an algorithm to find key words, not look for illegal downloads.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join