It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

George Clooney arrested, handcuffed, outside Sudan embassy in D.C.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 12:00 PM
link   
George Clooney and his father were arrested Friday during a protest outside the Sudanese Embassy, and the actor said he has asked President Barack Obama to engage China on stopping a humanitarian crisis in northern Africa.

Because the embassy is private property, Clooney and colleagues knew that refusing to move would end in arrest. They were warned three times before police moved in to make the arrests.

The group held a sign that read "Sudan: Stop Weapons of Mass Starvation."

Clooney's father, journalist Nick Clooney, 78, was with him and was also arrested, as were Martin Luther King III, NAACP President Ben Jealous, Rep Jim McGovern (D-Mass.) and Rep. Jim Moran (D-Va.) and former Rep. Tom Andrews (D-Mass.). The group was handcuffed with plastic handcuffs and were taken away by police.

Speaking before the large crowd that gathered to watch the protest, Clooney said "we need immediate humanitarian aid into Sudan before it becomes the worst humanitarian crisis in the world."

Most interesting to note is this Clooney quote:

He later told reporters that "people turn on the news and see an awful lot of bad stories," but added that the United States "is still the most generous country in the world and truly the most compassionate."

I know the tone here at ATS is that our country is not generous nor compassionate. Our people might be some of the most generous and compassionate, but you cannot say that as a whole, our country represents what is being stated here.

Additionally, George Clooney was on record just two days ago talking about how he came under fire in Sudan:
Geor ge Clooney under fire in the Sudan: 'Everyone just started running'

So, what say you, ATS? Do you really believe that Sudan could turn out to be the worst humanitarian crisis in the world? Or, do you feel like our attention could be better focused elsewhere?

Link to Source
edit on 3/16/2012 by freakjive because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 12:04 PM
link   
reply to post by freakjive

i think someone beat you to it, about 10 min ago.
www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 16-3-2012 by icepack because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by icepack

Damn. Thanks!

I even searched before but I took a while to put the post together and add photo, etc.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Clooney the bleeding heart liberal just like everyone in hollywood.

Anyone who doesn't know that this was a staged publicity stunt raise your hand. I'm sure the SS was there at the white house's suggestion.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by AwakeinNM
Clooney the bleeding heart liberal just like everyone in hollywood.

Anyone who doesn't know that this was a staged publicity stunt raise your hand. I'm sure the SS was there at the white house's suggestion.

Hands up high in the air!!!

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 12:16 PM
link   
I think Africa's problems are 100% and entirely Africa's to solve. I'm entirely supportive of hunting down Kony and his band of depraved psychopathic killers but...we could walk from that too if it means leaving Africa entirely. Works for me.

Now it's amusing..even cute..that people like Clooney find such interesting things to spend their time and money on. People are suffering in the Sudan? Indeed.... I'm sure they are. Add Ethiopia, Somalia, Eritrea, Kyna, Nigeria, Nairobi, Liberia, The Ivory Coast and...well, we all get the idea. We could be in Africa for another thousand years and still make little to no progress.

If Clooney and Penn and the other Hollywood radicals want to change the world, help change America. Rather than take the easy and cheap seats to rag on the United States from, perhaps they could roll up their sleeves right here, at home and change things. Of course, that would make enemies and be FAR FAR more work than a few photo ops in Africa, a steady supply of checks sent out and occasional publicity stunts to stay in the headlines. Entirely too much work to make a real difference.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 12:16 PM
link   
When are Americans going to stand up for Americans?? I know things are tough around the world but the people of the USA are losing their homes, being treated like animals by our governemnt and police state, healthcare is disgustingly expensive, food prices, gas prices etc etc etc...we need to start protesting for our FREEDOM and take back what is righteously OURS!!

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Land of freedom !

I can't even express my self with statements (one line).

I'll find another thread to my opinion about state power, (ATS) conformity, you an me.

Have a nice weekend !

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 02:30 PM
link   
reply to post by FreedomKnight

I like the way you are thinking.
It is hard to keep our ship from sinking if we are bailing out everyone else's boat.

More toward the OP,
I'm sure Georgy knew this was nothing but a publicity stunt, and we all know Africa will need to bail themselves out if they even care to be free of their masters.
For now we need to right our own ship.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 02:30 PM
link   

George Clooney & His Father & Members Of Congress Arrested Outside Sudan Embassy

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 05:51 PM
link   
Just adding some interesting facts here. They may or not be related.

Clooney is in the Kony video though I don't know if he was personally interviewed for the video or if he gave permission for it to be used.

Shepard Fairey designed the poster in the Kony video.

He also designed the infamous HOPE poster connected to Obama '08.

Fairey was sued by the AP for the picture used to create the poster.

The picture is said to be a picture of Obama with Clooney.

The Kony video was removed for basically the same reason as Fairey was sued - copyright infringement.

Jason Russell is arrested.

George Clooney is arrested.

The Kony Video is now up again.
edit on 16-3-2012 by cry93 because: (no reason given)

edit on 16-3-2012 by cry93 because: (no reason given)

link   
I posted the following on my original post in which I wanted to point out how convenient this Clooney arrrest is on the heels of the KONY2012 Arrest. This, I think, is gonna be used to drown out the KONY2012 Mess:

Illuminati Tool George Clooney's Convenient Arrest To Drown Out KONY 2012 Arrest

Well, you just heard the news that the guy behind this trendy KONY2012 Psyop has just been caught doing bizarre things in " public" and has been arrested and it made you think this is definitely gonna be big news today, but no, no, that ain't gonna happen anymore because Hollywood's George Clooney just so happened to get arrested, conveniently and synchroniously at at a good time for NATO and the Mainstream Media to drown out this KONY2012 PR Mess.

Don't forget that George Clooney is alleged to have been at one of these wealthy elite sex parties if not something like Eyes Wide Shut with pretty young women there to cater to Elite Men carnal desires such as, allegedly, the prime minister of Italy.

www.tmz.com...

Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi is accused of paying to have sex with a 17-year-old Moroccan girl and then trying to cover it up.

Berlusconi's lawyers say they want Clooney as a witness because the girl claims she had seen George and his girlfriend at one of Berlusconi's parties. It's unclear how that information would be relevant in the trial.

www.infowars.com...

edit on 16-3-2012 by EfficientP because: (no reason given)

I also want to mention that this thread is not meant to be like the other breaking news threads about George Clooney. My point here is to make you guys consider why it happens to be convenient for Clooney to be arrested to drown out the KONY2012 arrest on the Mainstream Media.
edit on 16-3-2012 by EfficientP because: (no reason given)

link   
Poor Nick—he spent the first half of his life known as Rosemary Clooney's brother, and will spend the last half of his life known as George Clooney's father…

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 06:12 PM
link   

I'm sure that yes, probably, our attention could be elsewhere, BUT the fact that George and a filmmaker(?) friend were there and saw firsthand the ravages going on, and almost got shot for it himself. The fact that he went there and put himself in harm's way because he believes in this so passionately and got arrested for it today and was willing to do so, has some weight with me. To me this isn't just "some" actor spouting off about a cause they know very little about. He's been there, he's seen it. I see him trying to use his celebrity for good, to give what's going on a face if you will for the nameless and faceless who cannot speak of the horrors going on there. That's just my humble opinion, take it for what it's worth.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 06:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
I think Africa's problems are 100% and entirely Africa's to solve. I'm entirely supportive of hunting down Kony and his band of depraved psychopathic killers but...we could walk from that too if it means leaving Africa entirely. Works for me.

Now it's amusing..even cute..that people like Clooney find such interesting things to spend their time and money on. People are suffering in the Sudan? Indeed.... I'm sure they are. Add Ethiopia, Somalia, Eritrea, Kyna, Nigeria, Nairobi, Liberia, The Ivory Coast and...well, we all get the idea. We could be in Africa for another thousand years and still make little to no progress.

If Clooney and Penn and the other Hollywood radicals want to change the world, help change America. Rather than take the easy and cheap seats to rag on the United States from, perhaps they could roll up their sleeves right here, at home and change things. Of course, that would make enemies and be FAR FAR more work than a few photo ops in Africa, a steady supply of checks sent out and occasional publicity stunts to stay in the headlines. Entirely too much work to make a real difference.

If I recall correctly Brad Pitt (Make it Right Foundation) and Sandra Bullock are a few who DO try to help right here. Sandra has owns a home in New Orleans, donated a ton of money, and just recently donated money and books to a school there to help them get settled. She even help them build a student health clinic. Brad Pitt also owns a home there, helped to create hopefully hurricane proof houses and was physically there building them. I'm sure there are others who help in their hometowns but don't take credit for it. Not all Hollywood elite are bad. Yes, there are some who can't see past their noses, but there are some who ARE trying to make a difference.

Sandra

Make It Right Gala

Make It Right Foundation
edit on 16-3-2012 by happyhomemaker29 because: added link to article.

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 12:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by happyhomemaker29
If I recall correctly Brad Pitt (Make it Right Foundation) and Sandra Bullock are a few who DO try to help right here. Sandra has owns a home in New Orleans, donated a ton of money, and just recently donated money and books to a school there to help them get settled. She even help them build a student health clinic. Brad Pitt also owns a home there, helped to create hopefully hurricane proof houses and was physically there building them. I'm sure there are others who help in their hometowns but don't take credit for it. Not all Hollywood elite are bad. Yes, there are some who can't see past their noses, but there are some who ARE trying to make a difference.

Very true on that. Brad Pitt and Angelina are both people with reputations for doing a lot without making a point of publicizing it. Indeed, there are some real good people in the Hollywood industry and they're usually the ones we rarely ever hear from. They just do things and don't take photo op's for it.

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 12:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000

Originally posted by happyhomemaker29

Very true on that. Brad Pitt and Angelina are both people with reputations for doing a lot without making a point of publicizing it. Indeed, there are some real good people in the Hollywood industry and they're usually the ones we rarely ever hear from. They just do things and don't take photo op's for it.

The way I see it, is some hollyweird elite try to use their celebrity for good, some eh, not so good.
When I went to find the link on Sandra to make sure I had my facts right, a bunch of links popped up on Bing as to her donation efforts. A million here, a million there, etc... Sounds like she's definitely a rare bird, someone we need more of for society as a whole.

posted on Mar, 17 2012 @ 01:13 AM
link   
I just saw the TV news coverage.. did you see how many videographers were there? That was no coincidence. Definite advance press release.

Hey Georgie, how about raising some awareness of the atrocities occurring HERE?

top topics

join