It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tea-Party VS Occupy DC

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 08:05 PM
link   
so i was reading about the tea party and how they are planning to protest "Obamacare" in front of the white house gates. it made me curious to know how the occupy DC was going. I stumbled across these 2 articles:

Super-charged Tea Party to protest Obamacare washingtonexaminer.com...

Tea Party Patriots is planning a huge event Saturday March 24 at the Capitol that will feature Virginia Attorney General Ken Cuccinelli, who’s arguing against Obamacare before the justices, former presidential candidate Herman Cain, and prominent conservative House members Rep. Louis Gohmert, R-Texas, and Rep. Tom Price, R-Ga. During the Supreme Court debate, they will be picketing in front of the courthouse.

&

Occupy D.C.: 11 arrested while protesting National Defense Authorization Act www.washingtonpost.com... .html

Protesters were arrested after getting “too close” to the White House gates, according to Occupy D.C.’s Twitter feed. A roundup of photos and tweets from the protest are after the jump.

I am wondering how the tea party protests will go & if there will be any clashes between the partiers and the occupiers, and most importantly, if the tea party members will get arrested for getting too close to the gate.

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 08:14 PM
link   
How interesting. I give them credit for courage too. In this day and age, I imagine protesting right at the primeter of the White House as being akin to protesting at the Pentagon or CIA for another generation. I wish them all the best!

I'd love nothing more than to see the Occupy movements around the nation start uprooting with the warm weather and migrate to D.C. proper. Mubarak didn't fall to a nation of protests. He fell to only one protest. In one place...right outside his window and in his own Capital.

At the same time...I really hope what they have for a safety committee works WITH local law enforcement (Secret Service...hint hint) and not against them. Not to sell out...just a casual chat and exchange of pure security concerns to address, unofficially.....so no one gets all stupid and people end up hurt or killed.

I think protest there can either grow to change things......or devolve into pure bloody tragedy and do either one with record speed. Here is hoping for the best!

I'm going on the basis here that protest by one is good for both...
They may just merge in these things some day, if only for the single events and only at that location....and really make things happen.

edit on 15-3-2012 by Wrabbit2000 because: added clarification...

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 08:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

yeah, if done right, occupy could really change things. and i think it already is. too bad the media isn't giving it fair coverage. the fact is there are protests everywhere and with numbers exceeding your imagination, but msm is censoring it. seriously, i'm just waiting to the tea party and the occupy movement to protest in the same place. i'm fairly certain it isn't going to be peaceful by anymeans.

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 08:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by couldbeanyone

yeah, if done right, occupy could really change things. and i think it already is. too bad the media isn't giving it fair coverage. the fact is there are protests everywhere and with numbers exceeding your imagination, but msm is censoring it. seriously, i'm just waiting to the tea party and the occupy movement to protest in the same place. i'm fairly certain it isn't going to be peaceful by anymeans.

In that line of thinking, the numbers I saw in the media tent when I was in Occupy St Louis in October were at 4.5 Million world wide. That was when OWS was moving into the peak of public support and Occupy was riding the honeymoon of public support.

I think if people care enough and it means enough to really risk arrest and some sacrifice.....the numbers could be brought together in D.C. and it will change things. How much and in what direction? No one can say. The only solid prediction on anything these days is that predictions will be wrong. lol..... If D.C. ever began to form up into serious numbers and a serious movement, I'd go and find a way to make the details work. I'm sure many many more would too.

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 09:09 PM
link   
Here is where I see the difference.
OWS was created and financed by the NWO to cause civil unrest across the country. The protested nowhere of importance. They were just a crowd with some doing spiteful things and saying ridiculous things. Those few weirdos aside, nothing was accomplished because they never focused on the right target. They caused disruption and incurred the spite of most working people.

If the Tea Party acts the way they have in the past, they will gain respect and support. Most importantly, they have chosen the right target They chose Washington where the power lies and the liars are in power. Wall Street answers to no one. You may not think so but those people in Washington are afraid of organization. No one was afraid of OWS because they had no organization and were out of view.

As one poster said, the King didn't resign because someone protested across the river. The king fled because the protesters were outside the windows of the castle. Washington DC is the best target. OWS, if they behave themselves should join the Tea Party and go where they would be effect. They should just mind their manners.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 01:37 AM
link   
Maybe it's because the tea partiers aren't raping people, destroying public property, abusing drugs and shutting down vibrant sea ports costing the taxpayers millions. Perhaps thats why they have a better arrest record than the hired thugs that Soros brings out to cause mayhem.

Maybe it's because the Tea partiers are a real grass roots movement drawn from the middle class and are not drawn from professional protestors, Marxist, and leftist agitators hired by George Soros, the unions and other monied thugs that support Obummer.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 01:42 AM
link   
reply to post by couldbeanyone

Tea Party: Organized protest.

Occupy: Bumbling imbeciles.

I'm pretty sure the Tea Party rally will go smoothly.. unless some idiotic occupiers try and cause problems.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 02:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

You can always tell when someone's making a valid point when they start with the name calling.

I'm not going to say anything bad about the Tea Party, I'm sure they're good people.

The idea that that all Occupy people are dirtbags is ridiculous, Google the demographics, average incomes, average education levels and see for yourself.

The media have run the Occupy movement through the ringer, especially certain politically partisan media outlets, and that's an undeniable fact. Unfortunately smear tactics work especially when stoking pre-existing cultural biases and appealing to people's most base instincts.

They know what buttons to push to get the job done.

edit on 16-3-2012 by jlv70 because: add text

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 02:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck

I'm pretty sure the Tea Party rally will go smoothly.. unless some idiotic occupiers try and cause problems.

Generalizing seems easy as hell now, thank you.
TEA Party, ignorant, scared, racist rednecks who say stupid things like keep your government hands off my medicare!
Occupy, all kinds of different things going on there.

Quick someone post a picture of a black guy at a TEA party.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 03:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck

Occupy has something the Tea Party doesn't. Enthusiasm and raw energy.

Of course, as you note, the Tea Party would bring adult supervision and ability to properly plan and think things through.

No offense to either side, but those are the strengths/weaknesses I see best fitting into each other for working together. Oh..and it'd only be the normal folk in each movement. The leaders on either side are too married to their own power to consider a merging with the other side, IMO.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 03:53 AM
link   

i think it would be great to see the two groups protesting together,IMHO
from what i understand both groups are non violent,
pieceful is the only way
both groups love their country

xploder
edit on 16-3-2012 by XPLodER because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 06:14 AM
link   
Both the Tea Party and Occupy Wall Street movements started out great.
They were both quickly hijacked and made impotent.
The Tea Party was hijacked by the uber-right and the fundamentalist Christians.
The OWS was hijacked by Soros, the far left , and the communists.

It's sad really. Both could have done some good.
Now they are just a shadow of what they could have been.
The Tea Party has no oooomph and what it stands for is forgotten by most.
The OWS is now just a bunch of dippy-hippy want-it-all-for-free types.

Sad sad sad.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 07:13 AM
link   
reply to post by jlv70

Maybe if they didn't act like ignorant children I wouldn't call out their stupidity.
Maybe if they didn't camp in parks I would pay attention to what it is they want.
Maybe if they were organized and didn't tout every possible stance on every possible issue.
Maybe if they didn't vandalize buildings, storm private businesses, cost tax payers millions in police overtime...
Maybe if I could get the images of nasty, dirty hipsters sitting in their own feces, covered in lice and god knows what.
Or the rape.. the fights.. the stabbings.. the drunkenness, the defecating on sidewalks, lack of showering...

Yeah basically if I could forget the entire Occupy movement.. I might listen to what they have to say. But as it is it was started by idiots (I'll certainly never forget the meditative yoga lessons on Occupy's first day.. what a !@$ joke) it was run by idiots and it was .... Occupied.. by idiots. It's actually the single biggest embarrassment I've ever witnessed. I was there the first day here, I agreed with everything I saw during the initial march, the first speakers.. after the "occupation" began .. it was just pathetic.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 07:15 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

The Tea Party was hijacked by the uber-right and the fundamentalist Christians.

Aint that the truth. Fundy Christians ruin everything related to Conservatism..

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 12:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

you have to admit, while the tea-party is inherently organized (likely the result of a lack of anything better to do), there are a few occupiers that are trying to keep themselves organized as well. i truly like their method of discussion and decision-making, as it is closely resembling democracy. that being said, the movement in itself is haphazard and doesn't look too good from the outside. BUT there are some major jackasses in the tea party, and i mean major jackasses - self-righteous is a term that comes to mind when thinking of a selection of tea-partiers. on the other side of the coin, there's... well... the occupiers. some have the right minds and the right agenda, but a few are just looking to party or for a fight. all in all, i'm predicting a few clashes between the hive minds of the two factions. seriously, they are opposing forces it would seem. i'm going to go stock up on popcorn right now because i think i'm going to laugh. and then i might cry after they've all been taken down by the swat teams and security forces.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 12:13 PM
link   
oh dear..

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 12:17 PM
link   

I can say with confidence that the Tea Party protests in DC won’t look like this:

And OWS wonders why they get arrested??

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 12:33 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

point taken. but thats ows, not odc-- isn't everything much more intense in new york? (that's what the movies made me believe anyway) maybe that's why they're all worked up? ... just kidding. people in odc are getting arrested for standing too close to the gates, not for inciting riots and arson.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 12:50 PM
link   

point taken. but thats ows, not odc-- isn't everything much more intense in new york? (that's what the movies made me believe anyway) maybe that's why they're all worked up? ... just kidding. people in odc are getting arrested for standing too close to the gates, not for inciting riots and arson.

Ahhh….but their reputation precedes them, sir.

Everybody knows what to expect from Occupy if things don’t go as planned.

posted on Mar, 16 2012 @ 01:01 PM
link   
My take on both the Tea Party and OWS is that they are mostly decent well meaning people pursuing an idealistic ill defined goal and thus diverting attention away from more important issues.
edit on 16-3-2012 by oghamxx because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join