It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kony Screening Provokes Anger in Uganda

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 12:55 AM
link   

Kony screening provokes anger in Uganda

www.aljazeera.com

Joseph Kony is a household name, thanks to a 30-minute YouTube video raising awareness about his brutal rebel group, the Lord's Resistance Army (LRA).

Tens of millions have seen the video after US charity, Invisible Children, released the clip online last week.

On Tuesday, a charity organisation showed the film to the people who suffered at the hands of the LRA - Ugandans in the north of the country.

Al Jazeera's Malcolm Webb reports from the town of Lira after the screening.
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 15-3-2012 by el1jah because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 12:55 AM
link   
So its been about a week and a half since the debut of the Kony video. Many of us instantly thought there must be an alterior motive behind the campaign, while that motive is not yet revealed, this video is evidence that the picture they painted of the situation in northern Uganda was not exactly accurate. The people in the video say themselves Kony has been gone from the region for several years, and most likely in neighbouring countries. So why did the Kony video put so much emphasis on Uganda?

I believe the primary motive for this Kony campaign was to plant a seed in our minds for a future military occupation in Uganda, if they water that seed with the right propaganda, there should be no trouble getting their stake in the worlds next big oil producing countries.

www.aljazeera.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 01:06 AM
link   
Kony 2012: Is the Savior complex being used as a precurser to invade uganda?

(IC=Invisible Children)

But let’s get to the heart of the issue and how IC fits into all of this. IC’s video and entire agenda is fuelled by what I call the Saviour Complex. This is a complex where well-meaning people, predominantly from EuroAmerica, troop to Africa to ‘help the natives’ improve their standard of living and generally assist the ‘poor Black Africans’ to create more dignified lives for themselves. Yes I’m being provocative in how I describe the Saviour Complex because I feel a sense of cultural superiority and self-aggrandisement is the root of the Saviour Complex.

What is truly sinister in all this is that I think IC’s Saviour Complex is a vehicle of legitimizing the welcome of the US Army into Uganda by Ugandans and the world, in an area that is of crucial strategic importance to Uganda’s economic future. This Saviour Complex held by IC and its sympathizers is giving everyone the impression that the USA is well intended and genuinely interested in catching a man whom everyone views to be heinous and is committed to helping Uganda

The liberal left and those who are victim to the Saviour Complex (of course not everyone is), may very well be part of strategy to ‘liberate’ Uganda of Kony and his rebels and, with the US’s help of course, ‘stabilise’ the regions that are coincidentally located over oil reserves. So their mentality may actually be delivering Ugandan oil and people to the control of a greedy superpower and its linked multinationals and conglomerates that may end up exploiting the very region that the liberal lefties wanted ‘delivered from evil’ in the first place. What’s so funny about this whole thing however is that Kony may not be in Uganda, especially in the areas in which US troops have been deployed. The last we heard of Kony and his rebels, they were not in Uganda but rather had, ‘regrouped in Uganda’s neighboring countries, especially the Democratic Republic of Congo’[5].[/ex

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 01:11 AM
link   
I thought it was weird they were almost glamorizing his image. And the fact that it did have the narrators son it it, really made 0 sense to me. Glad to see Ugandans agree.

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 01:20 AM
link   
reply to post by RealSpoke

It's like Invisible children have used powerful marketing strategies to popularize the campaign. Every powerful movement needs a face, so why not use the face of a tyrant. They did this with no regard to how an actual victim would react to having to see that face plastered all over the net/tv. Its sad because I see westerners as wanting to help, but they have been so programmed that their help has become just another commodity, a form of comercialized expression, making them feel fullfilled like buying a new pair of shoes. Why else would they be selling tshirts, bracelettes or other frivolous garbage.

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 01:34 AM
link   
S&F for you buddy good find....

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 01:38 AM
link   
We all knew this was the case from the day the Invisible Children video came out. Uganda does not want us there. Kony is most likely not there. How about we don't go there! It could easily turn into the US taking over Uganda because "they needed help combating terrorism."

I recall the Invisible children video requesting military support. They want to send "military advisers" in to "aid" the Ugandan defense. My mind is blown.

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 01:44 AM
link   
reply to post by BigBK

Yeah it really is scary how they blatantly asked for US backed military support. Even considering that the people you would be fighting to get to Kony are the same lives you want to save. At best a small scale operation to apprehend Kony makes more sense then sending 1000 troops to Uganda.

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 01:59 AM
link   
What would be the best way we could easily verify whether the vid is a sincere contribution or a government scam?

Can we get any solid evidence anywhere? The whole thing is driving me crazy.

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 02:17 AM
link   
reply to post by SilentThundersGF

With shadowgroups, like the CIA in opperation, it is virtually impossible. For all we know, the guy could have been picked up young as a CIA asset, and no one would be the wiser.

Could be the guy is just naive, and doesn't understand the implications that more troops would bring to africa.

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 02:31 AM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

Naive- it's possible that Invisible children is just another registered charity that happened to be a useful pawn for special interests.

What throws me off is how vocal they are about bringing in the military, it's not every day you see well to do hipsters advocating violence. It's also suspicious how blatantly skewed so much of the information in their video is, it's primary goal seems to be convincing the viewer into looking at Uganda, and not the Congo or any of the other unstable nations in the region. Beyond that the consumerism is the icing on the cake, I understand charities need money to run, but I just dont see how all their marketing campaigns and merchandising deserves 2/3rds of the revenue.

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 04:33 AM
link   
I bet half of the hipsters who shared this video didn't even take the time to watch the whole thing.

IMHO, I think this whole Invisible Children group is shady. It's obvious that what they clamor for is a military insertion in Uganda. If they were really serious about helping, I don't think aiding in another war is the most brilliant idea.

Do any of you have info on IC? I'd like to read more about them and their "advocacies" before deciding if I want to #makeKonyfamous

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 04:34 AM
link   
He is the posterboy Syria Danny for Africa. It is all about putting a face to the problem to make it more acceptable to the sheep. We are so easily manipulated these days. Only those who have the veil lifted off of their eyes can see and question beyond what the media tells you.

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 04:49 AM
link   
If you don't support the get Kony 2012 campaign, you are a hater of all African children. You must Join The Fourth Estate, where with the guidance of our great leader Jason Russell, we will rid Africa of baddies (and oil).

I look forward to seeing you guys there.

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 06:01 AM
link   
STRATFOR - US Strategic Interests in Uganda

Uganda is a stable country in an unstable region and an ideal platform from which to assert U.S. regional interests. Its geographic location has proved useful in mediating issues in Sudan and the Central African Republic; in setting up security initiatives to fight smuggling from Northern Kivu, the Democratic Republic of the Congo; and in facilitating training for African Union in Somalia (AMISOM) troops bound for Mogadishu, Somalia. Additionally, although Uganda is still a relatively new market for foreign investment -- unlike its coastal neighbors -- U.S. military investment will help strengthen the Ugandan government, making the country a more attractive destination for investment.
Washington hopes that by helping Uganda fight the LRA and harden its northern borders, it will strengthen the U.S.-Ugandan joint counterterrorism platform. A more stable joint platform would be useful for the United States when it comes to other instances of regional instability that are of greater concern to Washington.
Lastly, as China continues to establish a dominant position along the eastern coastline of Africa through aid and investment, Uganda can serve as a valuable economic counterweight for the United States.The growing economy of Uganda could increase trade within the East African Community (EAC), which comprises Burundi, Kenya, Rwanda, Tanzania and Uganda. Exporting primarily through ports in Mombasa and Dar es Salaam, the EAC still has problems accessing the markets of its interior members. Newly discovered oil reserves around Uganda's Lake Albert could open up new trade corridors and promote the creation of additional interior trade routes from the Democratic Republic of the Congo and South Sudan, through Uganda, to Kenya and northern Tanzania.

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 07:46 AM
link   
I was sucked into it in the beginning myself. Now I don't think that it would be helping the regular people any, by sending soldiers in there to catch the guy. And if you think about it, in order to save the kids, at least half of the kid soldiers would have to be killed. They are like his brainwashed bodyguards, I don't think they will just lay down their guns and let him be taken.

top topics

join