It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Its official: Im an Empath......how about you?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 12:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Talltexxxan

yup. I'm an empath, and have known it for a very long time. My biggest tip is to meditate. Hone the ability. It can be a very big deal.

I've told the stories on here a couple of times, but flat out, being an empath has saved my life, and ignoring it has nearly nearly gotten me killed.

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 12:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by RealSpoke
It's really not hard to read anothers emotion if you are observant of their body language, facial expression, voice and general actions.

Most people don't care enough to be observant.

And when you can sense other people's emotions without any of these physical signals, you will understand what it is to be an empath.

When you can do it without even seeing or speaking to a person, you'll understand.

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 12:59 AM
link   
reply to post by stirling

I was just going to post that empathetic is the opposite of psychopathic......

Almost all of us are born empathetic, but this world quickly turns most to psychopathic....

I hate to say it, but, it's really an awful, greedy, me-first, world we've turned into.

It's hard to even have a conversation with other people which doesn't include, "I should get, I should have, they can't do that to me, did you see what I just bought?"

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 01:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by AnonyWarp
so much pseudo-science...

Congratz OP
you discovered ... TA DAAAA .... Human emotions

wonderful, there is so few people who discover and can read emotions, must be an incredible adventure !!!

*facepalm*
comments likes this always make me laugh. All you had to say is "I don't get it" or "its over my head"....

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 01:14 AM
link   
I will say, one of the more fun things about being an empath is being able to read what kind of a reaction people are trying to get, and giving them the exact opposite.

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 01:25 AM
link   
reply to post by captaintyinknots

"There's no place like home, there's no place like home"

My favorite movie line.

I've been a psychiatric nurse for 30 years, when people are angry, give them the response they're not looking for.
Perfect.

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 01:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by captaintyinknots
I will say, one of the more fun things about being an empath is being able to read what kind of a reaction people are trying to get, and giving them the exact opposite.

Being Empathic by nature would preclude the probability of you making this post. Being an Empath or having the ability to have EMPATHY to the point of being able to easily detect it...would mean that you would not want to post something that might have a negative Effect upon someone nor would you consider it FUN to read peoples dispare or anxiety.

You might share in a persons Joy or Happiness but to express a willingness to play with a persons emotions does not lend veracity to your posts. Split Infinity

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 01:45 AM
link   

Hey there Tt, I glad you figured out what out what was going on. I belive you had a thread similar to this awhile ago. I belive we talked briefly about cycles , if that wasnt you my bad.

If it was you have you figured them out?

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 02:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by FissionSurplus
reply to post by KillerQueen

Yes, exactly! I cannot handle being in crowds of people unless I am medicated. It is like not having any skin and having all kinds of things assault you on many levels. You can pick up on so much in a crowd: Fear, hate, love, happiness, depression, sadness, anger, self-indulgence. I can be in a crowd and I swear I can look at somebody and practically hear what they are thinking. It may be the ability to see subtle body language, and of course the eyes are the mirror of the soul.

I have had pet dogs, and now cats, that can tell when I'm thinking about possibly giving them a bite of my dinner. They stand at attention and start to drool. There must be something subtle in my behavior which changes with my thought pattern. Perhaps being an empath is being ultra-aware of these subtleties.

My husband has the same issues, so we live in the middle of nowhere, and hardly go anywhere, and this makes us peaceful and happy. Too much social stimulation leaves us both irritable and exhausted.

YES. it's crazy.
I'll be eating and when I get down to the last 1/4 or so of whatever I'm eating, she gets up from where she is, and sits down RIGHT next to me and starts getting all excited. (sometimes I'll let her finish the plate, other times, give her pieces, other times nothing.) but she won't even be looking, but as soon as it gets down to that last but, she's she FREAKS and comes over to get some xD.
she also knows when I'm about to go outside, and won't go outside unless I'm outside.
she knows that If I'm outside and I have my computer and cigs on the table outside and then walk inside without taking them, that I'll be back.
as SOON as I start packing up she RUNS to the door to go inside with me.
and she'll NEVER let me go inside or outside alone, she ALWAYS shoves her way through the door. (she's sturdy
)
my dog also never used to chase bunnies/squirrels/any animals, and I was like. CMON DOG, ACT LIKE A DOG.
a few days later, she's chasing down animals in the yard.
she also NEVER used to bark when people came to the front door. me and my dad would be like. WAT R U DOIN?
because I'd rather have a good guard dog that barks at people coming to the door rather than one that lets intruders in.
now she barks at people that come to the front door.

it's insane. dogs can sense a lot. I never knew... there's tons more instances, but really. it's surreal...
so ask.
are they dogs? or are they Gods?

and also, to contribute to the general idea/main post.
I've felt the same, but not that I SENSE anything. I can just tell. from the way they say it, the way their voice changes/sounds, how they say it, how long it takes them, etc. body language. the way they phrase things.

edit on 18-8-2012 by novemberecho because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by SplitInfinity

Originally posted by captaintyinknots

Being Empathic by nature would preclude the probability of you making this post. Being an Empath or having the ability to have EMPATHY to the point of being able to easily detect it...would mean that you would not want to post something that might have a negative Effect upon someone nor would you consider it FUN to read peoples dispare or anxiety.

You might share in a persons Joy or Happiness but to express a willingness to play with a persons emotions does not lend veracity to your posts. Split Infinity

Completely false. The empathic ability has nothing to do with staying in the positive. Furthermore, I never said ANYtHING about eliciting a negative response. More often than not, I use this tactic when someone is pushing overtly negative energy at me. Negative energy generally seeks a negative response. To give them the opposite changes the entire dynamic of a situation. Take the couple of 'psuedo science' jabs in this thread for example.
You simply misunderstood what I was saying. I do not do it to take positive energy away from a situation. Only to ad it.

That you automatically assume it has to do with affecting someone in a negative way says a lot about you.
edit on 18-8-2012 by captaintyinknots because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Okay, how am I feeling? I'm dying to hear your answer.

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by aaaiii

I do love when people prove they have no idea what an empath is

you're feeling antagonistic, though.

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 05:17 PM
link   

I understand empathy well enough. I suffer from an excess of it, but not today.

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 06:20 PM
link   

I understand empathy well enough. I suffer from an excess of it, but not today.
understanding empathy, and understanding what it is to be an empath are two VERY different things.

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 06:22 PM
link   
reply to post by FissionSurplus

You put it into words so well. I cannot get my family to understand how I feel all the time. I thought my one daughter was going to be like me, but she seems to have grown out of it.

Sometimes I envy them, they can watch those animal rescue shows on tv and be fine...I have to run from the room in tears.

The older I get, the worse it is....it is not just reading people's emotions.....I actually feel them and animals also....like it is happening to me.

And the callousness of the world is slowly killing me.....it so hard to not become an alcoholic or drug dependent.

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 06:27 PM
link   
so, youre an 'empath'? does that just mean youre to embarressed to call yourself an indigo child?

would you tell youre family and friends youre an empath? or just strangers on the internet?

the world is full of nice people, you dont need to stick a silly label on yourself to let everyone know.
edit on 18-8-2012 by Kino321 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2012 @ 06:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Happy1

And what kind of response do you get?

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 03:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kino321
so, youre an 'empath'? does that just mean youre to embarressed to call yourself an indigo child?

I really don't see the connection?

Also, indigo children are supposedly only recent additions to the world (within the last 30 years). So, if the OP is older than 30, s/he is probably not an "Indigo child".

It is a common misconception that people who recognize their differences and speak about them believe they are "special". This is not the nature of the OP or the majority of the responses. If you will notice, the OP specifically asks about other people's experiences with being empathic. This is indicative of an interest in knowledge and further information on the subject from other people who have had similar experiences.

To further understand what folks in this thread are actually referring to, not "being special", just read what they are saying and the resources that have been posted.

would you tell youre family and friends youre an empath? or just strangers on the internet?

Yes. There is nothing wrong with being an empath. It just means one is more sensitive to certain aspects of emotion than is commonly considered to be "normal".

Why do you feel threatened by this? Why were you compelled to respond?

the world is full of nice people, you dont need to stick a silly label on yourself to let everyone know.

And, for the third time, it's not about being "special" or "labeled", it's about trying to understand what one feels, in a world where it is unacceptable to feel too much.

Basically, people are who they are, regardless of labels. If a person fits into the "empath" label because s/he took some online tests about "empaths" and, therefore, learned that his/her normal state of being is called "being an empath", so be it. This doesn't mean that is all s/he is or wants to be.

edit on 8/19/12 by ottobot because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Well first off. It doesnt work that way.
But I will humor your obvious sarcasm with a response.

At the time of your post you most likely had something going on in your life that made you feel disinfranchized. Thats what I get from your comment.

And "now" that alittle time has passed you feel slightly bad that you made such a negitive comment to someone that has done nothing to you.

Its okay, I absord negitivity pretty well. I hope what ever was bothering you at the time of your intial post has been resolved.

~peace~

posted on Aug, 19 2012 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kino321

edit on 18-8-2012 by Kino321 because: (no reason given)

Seriously, why do people feel the need to post these snarky comments which only serve to prove that they dont understand the topic?

-Indigo children and empaths are not the same thing.
-I am personally more than happy to tell anyone that wants to know that I am an empath. Its not a big secret. Its not some special power or ability.
-Being an empath has nothing to do with being "nice". Im not sure where this misconception comes from.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join