It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

John Carter of Mars book, free on project Gutenburg

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 08:20 PM
link   
www.gutenberg.org...

I just watched the movie called John Carter and I liked it.

I wondered about the book and my stepfather said it was actually written a long time ago, like 1912 or something. I was thinking that was way ahead of its time!

I thought if that were true and the book is that old, then project Gutenburg should have it and they do. I wanted to read the book anyway and I figured I just saved myself some money. So I thought I'd share what might be a good read and maybe something interesting, because not many books like this were not really written about such topics so long ago I think.

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 08:29 PM
link   
Great complement to the film. I did not know it was a book also.

I'm currently waiting for a better bootleg copy to be posted online before watching it.
Yeah, I said it. I'm poor, and I don't intend to advertise the links or download it.

The trailer looked decent, but the clips I've seen of it remind me of the Jar Jar scenes of Phantom Menace. I'm hoping it isn't as disappointing.

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 08:34 PM
link   
reply to post by JibbyJedi

Oh I'm poor too, I download movies secretly and keep it to myself. (Full DVD's, none of that compressed junk and no slow torrents either). The IMDB rating was 7.0 which is generally "kick ass good". I'll be watching out for this one too.

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 08:40 PM
link   
reply to post by jessieg

I've read the series long ago... great sci/fi reading. And way ahead of it's time too, imo. For those who don't know, Burroughs also wrote the Tarzan books.

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 10:57 PM
link   
i saw the trailer for this film and it reminded me of john normans gor series interesting

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 04:14 PM
link   
reply to post by jessieg

The book was written by Edgar Rice Burroughs who is most famous for the Tarzan character.

The John Carter book was the eleventh in the Barsoom series first published in 1964...
...I first read the book about then.

I saw the film in 3D last night.

It was amazing to see it on the big screen...
...I would love them to do the same with C.S.Lewis Scifi trilogy.

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 04:51 PM
link   
Don't waste money on seeing it in 3D though...they really didn't make that much use of it.
Though, one could argue that seeing Lynn Collins in 3D is worth it...

The trailer looked decent, but the clips I've seen of it remind me of the Jar Jar scenes of Phantom Menace. I'm hoping it isn't as disappointing.

Yeah, those aliens do look like big, bad Jar-Jars....so that is a bit weird, but they are only part of it. Wasn't fantastic, but wasn't bad either, and I think it will do fairly well.

top topics

join