It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Christians have no right to wear crosses, British government says

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 08:23 PM
link   

Or maybe people are just waking up and deciding that Christianity isn't for them? and searching for different answers
reply to post by boymonkey74

People are not waking up, they are destroying rights.

I am very sad this is happening. My thoughts and prayers for all whose freedom of religious expression is being suppressed. This is another dangerous slippery slope.

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 08:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Lucius Driftwood

David Cameron ranted not so long ago about how this was a 'Christian country' and that we shouldn't be afraid to say so and stand by those christian values and ideals.
And yet here we are. Guess his need to assuage the Lib Dems has shown his true colours:
Popularity at any price.

You know, seperation of Church and State (which I believe in,) works BOTH WAYS.

Yes i agree with you there, he has contradicted himself yet again.

If they want to ban crosses, it should be upto the employer and not the government, the same way that employers choose if they want people to remove facial piercings as an example.

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Neocrusader
reply to post by InsideYourMind

No not at all
I was simply using it as an example I knew many could get a handle on
Possibly a poor choice ............
However the hajib is a associated symbol of a religion

How's about the full face veil ? Is that still allowed ?

How's about if I carry a set of beads ?

I think what the government is getting at is symbolism. Ie; a piece of clothing is generic, but still that should be upto the employer as i said in another post. The government shouldn't be deciding what people can wear in the workplace.

Even so, a veil or a set of beads doesn't symbolise a specific religious idol.

I just dislike it that when "christians" are attacked by something like this proposal, it's a whole bloody murder call. Say for example, pentagram necklaces were banned by the government then well, christians would typically be the first to say "good decision we can't have people supporting the antichrist in our workplace". I see it from the other side... and am mildly offended when i see someone with a cross hanging from their chin.

If i were to wear a pentagram necklace, sure some people may find the symbol offensive, but if i was in work, i would wear it under my t-shirt out of view for the sake of other peoples sanity.

You don't need to tell or prove to people that you are religious, no one does, so why should a dangling cross be allowed as forced symbol of christianity.

If there were a government proposal to insist that all symbolic jewellery be out of sight, in the workplace.... then we would be onto something worthwhile to stop all this ridicule about which religions are allowed to do this or that.

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 09:02 PM
link   
Not really sure what the law states in England, so I am simply going to ask.

Is there a law in place that protects freedom of religion like we have in the United States( i.e. First Amendment)?

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 09:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck
reply to post by ownbestenemy

It doesn't matter who the employer is, what the employee does, where the worker works, who the worker interacts with or any other perceivable reason.

An employer should never be able to fire someone for displaying a religious symbol. Whether Christian, Pagan, Islamic, Jewish, whatever.

And above all, the GOVERNMENT should never officially back such discrimination!

So a person should be able to wear jewelry that could effect their safety? Could jepordize others? Solely because it is a religious symbol?

I word in a government job and as I have stated, what I work around wouldn't be pretty if something goes wrong if I were wearing a necklace with a cross -- or a Star of David -- it would be deadly and could potentially put others in harm.

So my job, that which is in Government, is perfectly within their means to say I shall not wear such jewelry to ensure the safest environment possible. Why is this a problem?

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 09:53 PM
link   
The more they Attack Christianity , the more i want to be one , Im a Rebel !
What was once Mainstream ,is now almost a minority , and that excites me tremendously

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 09:54 PM
link   
I'm fine with it, so long as they make the Muslim women remove the garbage bags they wear.

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 10:26 PM
link   
My CROSS is tattooed on my arm, if you don't like it, come try to take it off of me. I assure you "JOB" himself would not have suffered as you will. So PLEASE, try that crap here and I, as well as others will arrange your meeting with GOD so you can explain it to him in person. Tell all those and 'my" government the same thing! Stay out of Religion.

SEMPER FI

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 10:28 PM
link   
reply to post by officermcbride

Oorah, Devil Dog!

Well said!

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 11:17 PM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

Tell me about it! So many people commenting think they're being attacked in public. I believe half of them aren't even in the UK!

I worked in retail which had signs up saying jewellery which could cause an accident (loose items such as necklaces/bracelets) were not allowed. It didn't say "religious items are banned" but "loose items which could cause injury to yourself or others".

It's a health hazard, plain and simple.

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 01:08 AM
link   
Hey, if hoochie mama has the right to stuff her fat ass into skin-tight short shorts that say "JUICY" across the back, then these ladies can wear their cross.

That was simple. I should be a judge.

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 01:15 AM
link   
reply to post by noonebutme

THanks for your post. I was hoping someone would have actually read the article and posted something of the same nature.

This thread should be retitled or shut down. It's just wrong.

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 02:49 AM
link   

OMG people read the article the government isn't trying to ban crosses they are just saying it isn't a requirement to wear a cross if you are a Christian they are just pointing out that if an employer has a dress code which states no religious symbols or necklaces etc that the Christians do not have the right to wear them just because they are Christian.
The people who are taking this to court are fighting their employers not the government and the government are just saying "well it's upto the business to make their own code of practise.
Do you people read anything? or do you just read the title and start moaning.
No wonder you lot burnt people at the stake on rumors and mistruths.
Also look at one of the people taking it to court she is a nurse and in a nurses job it states No jewellery, what do you people want an unhygienic nurse? who could cause harm to her self and patients?
edit on 13-3-2012 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 02:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by officermcbride
My CROSS is tattooed on my arm, if you don't like it, come try to take it off of me. I assure you "JOB" himself would not have suffered as you will. So PLEASE, try that crap here and I, as well as others will arrange your meeting with GOD so you can explain it to him in person. Tell all those and 'my" government the same thing! Stay out of Religion.

SEMPER FI

Wow lol Jesus would be proud death threats lol

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 03:07 AM
link   

Does that mean employers could fire you
for wearing green on st.patricks' day too ?
. . . all in all not much different than the laws in Iran

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 03:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by ToneDeaf

Does that mean employers could fire you
for wearing green on st.patricks' day too ?
. . . all in all not much different than the laws in Iran

Lol ok
Look when you take a job and sign a contract many will have a part telling you what the company wants you to wear if you break that contract you could be fired it happens all over the world . Of course it depends on your job if they are strict on the rules.
I ran a Pub once upon a time and we had a very strict dress code if an employee didn't dress correctly they were sent home and this dress code did say no jewellery due to H&H rules.
The two people trying to take this to court both signed a legal contract saying they would adhere to the dress code they wore a cross and was told not to due to their companies dress code and they have said it is our right as christians....no it is not. In the Nurses case I find it odd because she should know better (Jesus isnt going to zap all the germs on the cross nor stop it falling somewhere it shouldn't).
If they want to wear a cross all the time take a different job.
Right thats it no more from me in this thread.
It's like trying to flog a dead horse I just people would just read before the comment.

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 04:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by boymonkey74

OMG people read the article the government isn't trying to ban crosses they are just saying it isn't a requirement to wear a cross if you are a Christian they are just pointing out that if an employer has a dress code which states no religious symbols or necklaces etc that the Christians do not have the right to wear them just because they are Christian.
The people who are taking this to court are fighting their employers not the government and the government are just saying "well it's upto the business to make their own code of practise.
Do you people read anything? or do you just read the title and start moaning.
No wonder you lot burnt people at the stake on rumors and mistruths.
Also look at one of the people taking it to court she is a nurse and in a nurses job it states No jewellery, what do you people want an unhygienic nurse? who could cause harm to her self and patients?
edit on 13-3-2012 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

Don't tell me to read the article, this has been all over the news this week.
It hasn't helped that the government has said "yes it should be banned"

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 04:55 AM
link   
reply to post by officermcbride

Leviticus 19:28

28 You shall not make any cuts on your body for the dead or tattoo yourselves: I am the Lord.

On another note, will people please read the bloody article!!! The government is not trying to ban crosses or religion or any other cultural dress or customs. They are attempting to uphold the rights of the employer to dictate a dress code as they see fit!

As I said previously, deal with the dress code or get another job, it's not that difficult to comprehend..

Nut up or Shut up...

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 05:16 AM
link   

yes it should be bannedIt hasn't helped that the government has said "yes it should be banned"

While I agree that some Tories are a few sandwiches short of a picnic, where have they specifically stated the wearing of Crucifix and crosses should be banned within the workplace?
Their evidence to the ECHR is the decision of the English and wales Court were correct as the wearing and display of said items is not a requirement of the Christian faith.

Personally I think the British Government will suceed as overturning the E&W Courts decisions due to 'manifestion of faith' as cited in Article 9 of the Convention of Human rights would prolly lead to the Court overturning the various veil bans as well.

Now that would cause a problem for the European Court...maybe its a cunning plan by the Tories to bring down the Court of Appeal and ECHR Legislation.

Fwiw I'd agree with Truth_Hz:

As I said previously, deal with the dress code or get another job, it's not that difficult to comprehend

posted on Mar, 13 2012 @ 06:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by ownbestenemy
There is so little detail here to actually make an informed comment.

The women, as much as I can gather from the brief article, are arguing that they should be allowed to wear crosses at work. Depending on the type of work they are engaged in should dictate policy on jewelry.

There is a link to the Telegraph article and a Google search of the women concerned will bring up even more info.

In short, one woman worked as a Nurse and the other as a Steward for BA. Both were fired for a refusal to remove jewlery while at work when asked and, it would appear, were deliberate awkward about it.

For instance, the BA worker was allowed as long as she wore it under her uniform, but she insisted on wearing it over. The Nurse, who had worked ro 30 odd years without concern, all of a sudden came over all religious and despite a general ban on jewlery for medical staff, insisted the rules didn't apply to her.

The Government is fighting this as it is a slippy slope and would lead to a whole slew of frivilous cases, like the two mentioned in the article as well as circumvent safety rules in place for certain sectors. It is also not a requirement as a Christian to wear the cross.

In fact, it is a recent invention (past couple of hundred years).

Ironically, it is a requirement as a good christian woman (or man) to dress modestly just like in Islam and to cover your head when in public, but they don't seem to want to obey that particular rule , do they? Just shows what a total load of crock the lawsuit is and why the Government is actually right in fighting it.

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join