It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Christians have no right to wear crosses, British government says

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 08:03 AM
link   
reply to post by InsideYourMind

Christians do wear it under their clothing though,thats the thing.This is nothing more then a spit in the face to Christians.In Britain its illegal to wear clothing that covers your face yet the Burkha is legal even though it has nothing to do with Islam.Go figure.

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 08:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Viking9019

No it is not, where exactly did you get your information from? The UK voted decidedly against the banning after the french introduced legislation.

No Ban

The Home Office said yesterday: "It is not for government to say what people can and cannot wear. Such a proscriptive approach would be out of keeping with our nation's longstanding record of tolerance. Accordingly we do not support a ban on wearing the burka."

or

Are you just trying to derail the thread with another muslims vs chrisitans argument?

Please try and get your facts right...

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 08:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by AnonymousFem
reply to post by Danbones

So would you be saying the exact same thing if the British Government banned the wearing of the Burka at work, or a Student who attends school from wearing a bracelet?

No you would not be. There would be an uproar if this happened, which has happened before, if I remember correctly.

You cannot have one set of rules for one religion without a universal rule for all religions.

If Christians are banned from wearing crosses, what next Catholics banned from wearing crucifixes?

If this ban is upheld, then there should be complete ban on all religions. From wearing anything which shows their faith or religion.

hmmm
you are putting words in my mouth and arguing with the words you have but in my mouth

in other words you are arguing with yourself

here let me help you by speaking for myself:

I am not for or against the wearing of crosses specifically at all: show me where I am
I am for recognizing the cross for what it really was
I am against the EU usurping the national right to self determination
I am against the government using religion to divide and conqure
I am against people who think thier unprovable religion is more politically right then the next guy's unprovable religion is

I am also curious as to why people even care what other people think of a private relationship with a creator.

also burkhas represent cultural reasons not just religious ones so they are NOT the same as wearing a cross, so they are not a fair comparison.
edit on 12-3-2012 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 08:40 AM
link   
Someone make and distribute necklaces with world leaders hanging or being beheaded. We can sell them all over. Its should be legal. As long as it doesnt have a message of love and peace.

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 08:45 AM
link   
I had to take my nose ring out and my pentagram off when going to work at The Early Learning Center 18 years ago.
Didn't get all bent out of shape over it.

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 08:55 AM
link   
Liberals/Plebs will allow Burkhas, Tattoos, Piercings, Pentagrams, but show them a jewish or christian sign and they go ballistic.

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 09:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by lucid eyes
Liberals/Plebs will allow Burkhas, Tattoos, Piercings, Pentagrams, but show them a jewish or christian sign and they go ballistic.

Not true in my experience, many places of work I have worked in have stated that tattoos and piercings are not allowed and for example when I ran a pub anyone with tattoos on there arms had to wear long armed shirts and any piercing had to removed because of health and hygiene laws so that included any necklaces to do with religion. The only thing allowed was a wedding ring and this had to be covered up with a blue sterile plaster.
A burka like stated in a past post is a cultural garment and not religious.

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by davesmart
reply to post by samsamm9

hi op
its probably the same woman that got told to take it off (was on the news not long ago)

i make no apology for what im about to say

IMMIGRANTS and RELIGION is dominating my once great britain
the gov is basically bending over and telling immigrants
help yourself
i love my country..i hate the gov

Hell the same thing is happening to the USA, just not the same "exact" way...

Seems like we are all being forced to accommodate other cultures while we just forget about our own...

Now that's what being sad is all about...

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 11:37 AM
link   
As i am a mere foot soldier in the lords army i will defend what i hold dearly and no mortal judgement can force my soul to do otherwise as it will have two ending points.

The trumpets have silenced, the beast lays restless and false prophets will be in abundance as self proclaimed saviors within a desperate world searching for answers and salvation. Those times are upon us, hidden in plain view, obscured by information, misinterpreted by man's global interpretation.

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 11:50 AM
link   
If the employer states in the contract of employment that no jewellery is to be worn in the place of work, and the employee signs that contract of employment.

They have no business wearing Any Jewellery of Any kind. Regardless of the reasoning behind the claim, whether religious or not.

It really is that simple.

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Personally, I think religion should be kept to one's self. I'm an atheist (for the most part), but I don't go around wearing upside down crosses or painting "Christ Crusher" on the hood of my car.

Believe what you want, this is a given, but flaunting your beliefs in the form of fashion begs for prejudice and judgment from others, which is bad in a business environment.

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Is Britain a free society or not?

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by L00kingGlass
Is Britain a free society or not?

Show me one country with a free society....there is none we have laws just as any other country. The OP is so wrong tbh, the reasons why people are not allowed to wear crosses is the same for any type of necklace etc.
Health and hygiene laws and company terms and conditions.

OMG i love your avatar I want one for my cat

edit on 12-3-2012 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 01:56 PM
link   
I am more of an open minded agnostic here,with a Christian upbringing.
But I may just start wearing a cross to work because of the principle of the thing.
This is still Britain,which is claimed to be a Christian country and If folks want to wear a cross to work,as long as it isn't a dangerous environment for jewelry,then WHO THE HELL do our government thing they are by dictating how anyone expresses our faith?

And that goes for any faith by the way-So if anyone want's to wear to work a star of David,Cross or Crescent moon and star,
I say go for it.

Don't let imbeciles in suits make you change what badges you wear folks..Its a damned slippery slope I tell you.
Not to mention how bloody ridiculous the whole concept is...

Sorry for my rant.
I am at peace now.

Originally posted by boymonkey74
OMG i love your avatar I want one for my cat

I totally agree bro!
Classic cat wig!

edit on 12/3/2012 by Silcone Synapse because: extra words added

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by thismightbesatire
If it's a serious concern to health and safety, it should be removed in the workplace. I'm fairly certain if you're working alone operating a drill press or some form of machinery having your cross displayed is of little importance to the job at hand.

I don't care what faith you have and even less so while I'm trying to work.

This.

I have worked in environments like this and never had a problem removing anything like a necklace for safety's sake. Loose clothing was also "against the rules" for the same reason. Companies have to pay big premiums for workers compensation so the rules are in place to help ensure the safety of every employee.

Makes sense.

The issue of general dress and decorum in a workplace absent of those hazards however, is a totally different story.

Many moons ago I had a job where my supervisor actually stated that "I shouldn't (he never said CAN'T) wear my cross to work. It's against regulations"

I laughed at him obviously... his argument was "what if you run into a customer who is a satanist? he could be offended by your cross, and that affects business"

I'm dead serious. That actually happened. I just laughed at him and walked out. People just need to stand up for themselves. No government can tell you how to dress. If they try. SAY NO. YOU DO NOT "UNDERSTAND"

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 02:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Silcone Synapse

It isn't the government it is the employers, all the government are saying is that we can not force companys to let you wear them because it is not a “requirement” of the Christian faith.
If you want to grind an axe grind it towards the companys who bring in these T&C, which I agree with in certain types of work.
edit on 12-3-2012 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 02:11 PM
link   
reply to post by TimesUp

Yayyyy, me too. I've really grown tired of the old world. I think, I'm a very kind caring and accepting person. I make it my personal duty to say Hello, to everyone I see. I offer my help whenever I can, and I try to commit at least one selfless act every day. However I've grown extremely tired of these religious quacks who preach what I sow, but don't follow the very foundation of their religions. It's about time, we got it out of the work place and schools long ago, then immigrants weaseled theirs in, and now everyone thinks they have a right to be an extremist and push their garbage on the world. NEWS FLASH ! Religion is dying and out dated, get over it. I've been waiting for 20 years for anyones god to smight me, and my life just keeps getting better it's awesome. When in doubt, go with out I promise you will be way happier with out worrying about a fairytale figure punishing you, and you'll be way less disappointed when he doesn't help you, as well I promise your self esteem will sky rocket when you stop giving him credit for the good things in your life. YOU ARE IN CONTROL NOT SOME GOD. We all make our own destiny, I know this could be kind of hard for those of you who aren't doing well, or are in a terrible situation, but the only one that can help you is you my friends.

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Get one branded on your forehead if you really want to show people your a Christian

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 02:23 PM
link   
The heading of the linked article - and therefore this thread - is misleading.
The British government is NOT saying people don't have the right to wear crosses.
The issue is where companies have a no jewellery policy, but Christians want to wear crosses. Fact is, they can't plead that it's a requirement of their religion.
I used to work in mental health and we weren't allowed to wear jewellery on the grounds that it could be used to injure or throttle us. Strange that the men were allowed to wear ties then!

edit on 12-3-2012 by starchild10 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 12 2012 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ilyich
reply to post by TimesUp

I'm a very kind caring and accepting person.

I've grown extremely tired of these religious quacks

'nuff said there I think

Your right to express your feelings about religion do not trump the right of someone else to wear any item that confirms theirs.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join