It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do Christians really believe in an invisible man in the sky?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 07:21 AM
link   
First off, let me just say that I used to be a strong believer in God. I never believed in a fantasy kingdom in the sky... But I want to know, do most Christians seriously believe in a higher being floating up in the sky and watches everything we do?. And what is it with Catholics thinking they are the true "Christianity".. Christianity and Catholicism is basically the same thing, am I wrong here?. I don't know where heaven is, most Christians just point up and say: "up there". Up WHERE?.

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 07:25 AM
link   
reply to post by cowDrinker

But I want to know, do most Christians seriously believe in a higher being floating up in the sky and watches everything we do?

What makes you think Chrisians believe God is "floating up in the sky" watching everything we do?
Ever met a christian who told you that?

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 07:27 AM
link   
reply to post by sk0rpi0n

If that is not true...what's with all the paintings and praying to the sky?.

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 07:31 AM
link   
actually, for christian its a sin to image god in their minds.

edit on 11-3-2012 by icepack because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 07:38 AM
link   

Any examples of these paintings that you speak about? I'd like to see.

My guess is that its nothing more than artistic expression.
It probably has something to do with the distinction made between heaven and earth.

The bright sky with clouds is simply an artistic way of representing heaven. Doesn't mean that christians believe that heaven is located in the sky.

As for praying towards the sky, is not just christians, a lot of other religons do that as well. It might just be a psychological thing... with the heaven-earth distinction.

edit on 11-3-2012 by sk0rpi0n because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 07:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by sk0rpi0n

But I want to know, do most Christians seriously believe in a higher being floating up in the sky and watches everything we do?

What makes you think Chrisians believe God is "floating up in the sky" watching everything we do?
Ever met a christian who told you that?

Up till very recently that is what they all said.

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 07:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by cowDrinker
am I wrong here

Yes, you are......in every single word you wrote. I won't debate with you since it seems like all you want is bashing and/or get flags and stars.

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 08:03 AM
link   

Wrong way to approach this, more facts less rubbish next time please. I don't believe in a deity as of yet but the way you have attempted to question these peoples beliefs is embarrassing. Please don't take this example as the way all non religious people behave toward Christians and other religious folk.

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 08:08 AM
link   
I believe...

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 08:08 AM
link   

reply to post by sk0rpi0n

Paintings of this nature are meant to by symbolic of God and heaven being above our realm. Having been brought up a Roman Catholic I can testify that we do not believe there is a man with a white beard sitting on the clouds watching our every move. We interpret it more as:

"The Kingdom of God is inside you and all around you, Not in a mansion of wood and stone. Split a piece of wood and God is there, Lift a stone and you will find God."

That said, I have since lost my faith in the church and its control over the followers. I believe we should choose/find our own path to whatever deity we believe.

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 08:24 AM
link   
Just seek him and he'll reveal himself to you in time. I suggest reading the book of John in the bible. He's very real and waiting for you to accept Him.

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 08:38 AM
link   
Nice strawman.

Though God is masculine, He is not a man. God is everywhere except maybe hell. God is not the universe but the creator of the universe.

Catholics claim to be true Christians because the first Christians taught the same things as Catholics do now, and because the bible is a Catholic document. You can find out what the early church believed by looking through their writings. Until the reformation, the Catholic Church (consisting of western rites and eastern rites) was what being Christian meant. Then people fell into heresy and split up the Church.
edit on 11-3-2012 by 547000 because: (no reason given)

edit on 11-3-2012 by 547000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 10:13 AM
link   
Psalms 139:7-10

7 Where can I go from Your Spirit? Or where can I flee from Your presence?
8 If I ascend into heaven, You are there; If I make my bed in hell, behold, You are there.
9 If I take the wings of the morning, And dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea,
10 Even there Your hand shall lead me

Floating in the sky? Not exactly. But they do believe he's omnipresent. God's domain, heaven, which is often spoken of as being up, also refers to his sovereignty. This is why many look upward. It is an instinctive submission to one who is considered superior to yourself.

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 10:24 AM
link   

First off, let me just say that I used to be a strong believer in God. I never believed in a fantasy kingdom in the sky... But I want to know, do most Christians seriously believe in a higher being floating up in the sky and watches everything we do?. And what is it with Catholics thinking they are the true "Christianity".. Christianity and Catholicism is basically the same thing, am I wrong here?. I don't know where heaven is, most Christians just point up and say: "up there". Up WHERE?.

Not really. He exists outside of our 10 some dimensions. He exists outside of time itself. He created all those. So not so much, "up there", but "everywhere".

edit on 11-3-2012 by NOTurTypical because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Wasn’t there some non-sense near the beginning of the bible about people building a tower up to heaven and then bible god knocked it down to keep people wondering around up there?

So i guess that means bible god thinks he’s floating around in the sky

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 04:57 PM
link   
God is everything and everything is connected even if you are chosing not to connect both ways and recieve information also from the devine. All is one. There is nothing except the one. But the 1 have chosen to let part of him experiance reality as smaller units and evolve thru many lives.

Your body is made of cells that are autonomous in one sense but work together in another. You are like one of those cells in the body of god. Just because we cannot understand how our conciousness works together with others to make up the whole do not mean it is not there. The reason there is religon in this world is not because people need to belive in something. It is because people have experianced things that have given them information.

All roads eventually leads to enlightment in the end if you have an open mind and are not delibretly avoiding the truth that is around you. If you follow a religon, logic or science do not matter.

posted on Mar, 11 2012 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by racasan
Wasn’t there some non-sense near the beginning of the bible about people building a tower up to heaven and then bible god knocked it down to keep people wondering around up there?

So i guess that means bible god thinks he’s floating around in the sky

That from my point of view is about ego. People trying to go to a divine place with their ego intact. Sorry that is not allowed. The reason is that if you go there with a big ego you will disrupt the harmony and the place will no longer be devine.

top topics

join