It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oh yeah!, X-5 flare just happened.. May be earth directed, Bring it Sun!!!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+35 more 
posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 07:29 PM
link   
Bring on the X flares..... The sun will keep burping hopefully
www.swpc.noaa.gov...
edit on 6-3-2012 by Mattodlum because: Spelling error

MAJOR SOLAR FLARE: Earth-orbiting satellites have just detected an X5-class solar flare from big sunspot AR1429. The blast peaked on March 7th at 00:28 UT. Radiation storms and radio blackouts are possible. Solar flare alerts: text, phone.
edit on 6-3-2012 by Mattodlum because: added the radio blackout warning.

edit on 6-3-2012 by Mattodlum because: Changed headline

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 07:33 PM
link   
That wasn't just any X-Flare...That was a big one!

X4 or X5 looks like. Gotta wait for more info.

Peace

edit on 6-3-2012 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-3-2012 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 07:35 PM
link   
Looks like an X.4 flare... and this time sun spot 1429 is pointing towards us, just a little more.
The X.1 flare from a few days ago was pointing to the left of earth so missed us.. this time.. we'll have to wait an see if we get a glancing blow. I don't expect much will come from this one, just auroras.
edit on 6-3-2012 by NWOPrimate because: (no reason given)

+1 more 
posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 07:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Mattodlum

MAJOR SOLAR FLARE: Earth-orbiting satellites have just detected an X5-class solar flare from big sunspot AR1429. The blast peaked on March 7th at 00:28 UT. Radiation storms and radio blackouts are possible.

spaceweather.com...

Biggie eh! That should bring the OMG There will be Mag 10 earthquakes crowds out!!

Doom, doom and more doom!!

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 07:37 PM
link   
Big, but was it big enough?

+11 more 
posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 07:38 PM
link   
OH YEA!!! DOOM DESTRUCTION!!! YESSSSS!

BRING IT SUN!!!

just don't knock out my cable and internet, i'll whine and cry all night

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 07:39 PM
link   
For some perspective:

In modern times, the largest solar flare measured with instruments occurred on November 4, 2003. This event saturated the GOES detectors, and because of this its classification is only approximate. Initially, extrapolating the GOES curve, it was pegged at X28.[12] Later analysis of the ionospheric effects suggested increasing this estimate to X45.[13] This event produced the first clear evidence of a new spectral component above 100 GHz.[14] Other large solar flares also occurred on April 2, 2001 (X20),[15] October 28, 2003 (X17.2 & X10),[16] September 7, 2005 (X17),[17] February 17, 2011 (X2).[18][19][20] and August 10, 2011 (X6.9).[21] In 1989, during solar cycle 22 two large flares occurred on March 6 (X15) (see: March 1989 geomagnetic storm) and August 16 (X20) causing disruptions in electric grids and computer systems
Solar Flare History

So while an X4-5 can be thought of as "big", we've had bigger. I'm sure the direction of the wave is just as relevant as the energy it contains, so if these larger ones were off a bit more than this one, it could indeed be thought as a "big" one.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 07:40 PM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

Already happened

www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 6-3-2012 by intergalactic fire because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 07:40 PM
link   
Ok, it looks like it reached X.5, but just barely.

No, this is not "big enough"... I seriously doubt this will effect us much. It may effect satellites and radio communications, but that's it. It's not strong enough to mess with your iPhone yet

edit on 6-3-2012 by NWOPrimate because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 07:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Mattodlum

damn yer my kinda person! is this flare for real? i heard about this on spaceweather.com but i haven't got an update yet. gonna check now

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 07:41 PM
link   
Not expecting a direct hit but that spot is turning toward us and is very active. Should be a intresting next few days.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 07:43 PM
link   
reply to post by NWOPrimate

X5.4 to be exact

Max - 07/0024 - X5.4

www.swpc.noaa.gov...

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 07:49 PM
link   
How do the astronauts on the ISS handle such things? They have protection but only so much.

I did feel a disturbance in the Force today, I guess it was about this.

The blast peaked on March 7th at 00:28 UT. Radiation storms and radio blackouts are possible.

It's not a "kill shot" that so many apparently are hoping for in here.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 07:51 PM
link   
Well, that is ATS....lol.. I just saw this a few minutes ago at school as I was showing someone my space sensor displays on my web site. I didn't expect it to open to something that nearly made me fall over on the spot. Wow....

5.4 eh? That chart LOOKS so much larger compared to the wee little X-1 that barely crossed the baseline.

Well.. 5 is enough to get attention anyway... We'll see if we get hit or a glancing blow. It isn't enough where I'd say anyone should do anything but just avoid being where Cell Service could be an emergency need while the storm passes...but this is an interesting way for Sol to wake up and say HEYA EARTH! I'M STILL HERE!

The problem I'm seeing is....this spot is shifting into a jackpot position while it's burping higher X-flares. Lets hope it goes all quiet again while this one rotates right on past the alignment to shoot us dead in the face.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 07:53 PM
link   

It's not a "kill shot" that so many apparently are hoping for in here.

Everybody has 'high hopes'

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 07:56 PM
link   
What I find interesting is if you compare the two flares from the graph I posted earlier, you can see that this flare was really quick and powerful. It happened in less then 5 mins. The previous X flare was slow and gradual. I wonder if this will impact the speed at which the protons will be hurled towards earth.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 07:56 PM
link   
and it's EARTH FACING

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 07:57 PM
link   
we need an x50 to hit

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 07:58 PM
link   
Nothing doom about it, however with
it facing earth we could get some
communication problems. And oh,
very beautiful auroras.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 07:59 PM
link   
Looks like a big CME from the eruption.

Massive rather
edit on 6-3-2012 by intergalactic fire because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join