It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Former U.S. Marine Turned Away From TN Poll For Refusing to Present Photo ID Under New GOP Law

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by randomname
the fundamental criteria essential for a democracy to be a system of government is the vote.

the right to vote cannot be impeded with a photo i.d.

a photo i.d. was not required 200 years ago, it was not required during the civil war, it was not required during ww2 and it was not required at any time in the history of democracies until now.

what's left. america is destroying itself. the rest of the world is probably laughing.

But you are required to be an American Citizen. Shouldn't we enforce that? Or do we just not care, let anyone who goes to the ballot box vote, regardless of who they are.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 04:46 PM
link   
reply to post by andersensrm

But you are required to be an American Citizen. Shouldn't we enforce that? Or do we just not care, let anyone who goes to the ballot box vote, regardless of who they are.

Yes, of course you have to be an American citizen. With a few exception, you can't just go to the ballot box and vote (some states allow for same-day registration). You have to register, they check you against their registration before handing you a ballot. They also check the signatures match. If you stole someone's identity to vote, then when they voted they would catch the fraud.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Blackmarketeer

Right, but whats stopping me from registering as somebody else, as well as myself. I don't know why it is such a big deal, I have an ID for almost everything. I don't mind showing anybody my ID.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by David134
Maybe I'm old fashion but is it really that hard to get a state id?

It can be, yes. I went for 8 years without an ID, due to red tape and no government official being able to tell me what I needed to know. It took a criminal fresh out of jail to tell me what I needed to do. At the time I had no birth certificate, no social security card, and no other form of ID.

It began when my wallet got stolen, which had the above 3 items in it, and no copies at home. When I tried to get my ID, they told me I needed a social security card and birth certificate. When I tried to get my social security card, they told me I needed birth certificate and picture ID. When I tried to get my birth certificate, I needed a picture ID. Nice little circle there isn't it? Can't get one without the other.

This is what I ended up having to do. In Ga, anyone can get a copy of someone's birth certificate, if they know the following: Full name of the person's father and mother on the record, the person's birthday, and what hospital the person was born at. They also have to have a picture ID. So while I couldn't get my BC since I didn't have an ID, my sister could. Or a total stranger could have, if I wanted to trust someone with that info.

Once I had this, I had to make a trip to the social security office. My county doesn't have one, the nearest two both being 25 miles away. Once I got there, I had to show them my BC, and answer several questions. Mom and pop's name, my full name, my SS#, my mom's birth date, my dad's birth date, my birth date. The county and state each of us were born in. Plus I had to sign an affidavit saying I was who I say I am.

All this got me was a piece of paper with my name, birth date, and SS# printed on it, and initialed by the lady who interviewed me. Also printed was that this paper was to be considered null and void after 14 days, and could not be accepted as me having an actual SS#.

I then had to take my BC and this piece of paper to the nearest DMV office that doles out IDs and licenses. The nearest one to my place was 35 miles away. Once there, I had to present both of these papers, give them a thumb print scan, sign another affidavit, and have my picture taken. I was given a copy of my ID then, and told my real ID would be mailed to me.

I had to wait 4weeks for this ID to arrive. Also note, they wouldn't send it to a PO Box, I had to have an actual street address. Once I got it, I had to back to the SS office, show them my ID and BC, to get a new SS card. This wasn't handed over either, it had to be mailed, and took 2 weeks to arrive.

So all told, it took 2 people, personal info on 3 different people, $20+gas money, 170+ miles of travel, 3 different government agencies (DMV, SS, and County Courthouse), 4 government workers, and almost 6 weeks of time before I got everything an adult is expected to have in the way of paper work.

So yea, it can be difficult to get an ID if you're in a similar situation as me.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 05:10 PM
link   

He left without voting, even though he has proper identification, saying he was protesting on behalf of the potentially millions of people who may lose their right to vote because they are unable to obtain the legally required government-issued IDs.

Now we see what these new laws are designed to do - discourage voting.

What a spin on this story!

Screw that guy! I don’t care if this guy was a former Marine, former Mayor, former Governor, etc! Prove who you are with picture ID or you DON’T GET TO VOTE!! This law is meant to discourage ILLEGALS from voting. If you have to produce picture ID to cash a check than why should you be allowed to cast a vote without ID??

Anyone who doesn’t support verifying the identity of voters doesn’t value his/her own vote because every vote cast fraudulently negates a legit vote, and that should never be allowed!

That was a publicity stunt. They’re testing the waters and gearing up for the 2012 elections. Obama is going to have to cheat to remain in power regardless who the republican candidate is!

edit on 7-3-2012 by seabag because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 05:43 PM
link   
reply to post by adigregorio

Exactly, and the group that has the least amount of money to purchase an ID are those who are on a fixed income. They're also the largest consistent group of voters! This is another easy way to generate income for the government and to suppress voters rights. If the government wants us to have voter ID's they should be required to supply them for free. Just another scrupulous way to change the course of an election.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 05:53 PM
link   
I hate jackasses that get all riled up and then take it out on people just doing there job. Leave the nice old gentleman alone, he's doing his job. I also am getting sick of ex military shouting about their service. Good for you, thanks, etc. doesn't give you more rights.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 06:18 PM
link   
I really don't see what's so wrong about asking people to produce a photo ID when they vote. The public as a whole has a right to expect free and fair elections and the government, in turn, has an obligation to provide them. As part of that process, I do not think it is unreasonable to institute a safeguard such as a photo ID requirement as proof of identity, nor do I think it is an undue burden to expect voters to have such an ID, especially considering that all but a tiny fraction of the voting age public do, in fact, have them. Regardless, even if you buy into the 'poll tax' argument, which I don't, there's nothing stopping the government from subsidizing the cost and providing them free for those who do not currently have them.

Given the fact that we know that we have millions of people in this country illegally, you'd think people would be want to tighten up our voting process. Myself, I think this would be a step in the right direction.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 06:18 PM
link   
I really don't see what's so wrong about asking people to produce a photo ID when they vote. The public as a whole has a right to expect free and fair elections and the government, in turn, has an obligation to provide them. As part of that process, I do not think it is unreasonable to institute a safeguard such as a photo ID requirement as proof of identity, nor do I think it is an undue burden to expect voters to have such an ID, especially considering that all but a tiny fraction of the voting age public do, in fact, have them. Regardless, even if you buy into the 'poll tax' argument, which I don't, there's nothing stopping the government from subsidizing the cost and providing them free for those who do not currently have them.

Given the fact that we know that we have millions of people in this country illegally, you'd think people would be want to tighten up our voting process. Myself, I think this would be a step in the right direction.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 09:16 PM
link   

What a silly thing to do.

There is no way to make a valid argument that asking for ID's to stop voter fraud is wrong. The only people who are against it are those who think fraud benefits them. ...and attention seekers who can't find a better cause at the moment.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 11:12 PM
link   

So your stance is....Republican party = big government.....Democrat party = big government. We get it. Most are have already come to that conclusion.

Why do you feel threatened by a State law in which, and I will assume, does not affect you? Or are you a Tennessee voter?

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 02:03 AM
link   
America the land of opportunities! PS: For only rich people!

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 02:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Muttley2012

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

It seems to me that these laws requiring ID to vote are in conflict with the 4th Amendment

It does? Care to state exactly which part it conflicts with?

No one is being searched, no seizures are occuring, no warrants are being issued....

So where exactly is there any conflict with the 4th?

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by spoor
It seems to me that these laws requiring ID to vote are in conflict with the 4th Amendment

It does? Care to state exactly which part it conflicts with?

No one is being searched, no seizures are occuring, no warrants are being issued....

So where exactly is there any conflict with the 4th?

If you read later on, the poster corrected themselves and they meant the 24th Amendment. In which I already challenged that assertion too.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 02:11 PM
link   

GOOD!

I can't believe these laws are new!?!?

ID should have been required from the getgo. I show my ID and my voter registration card every time I vote. I thought everyone had to do the same.

It is irrelavent that this guy is a veteran, are we just supposed to take his word for it? He needs ID like everyone else!

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 02:15 PM
link   
I'm required to show my photo ID when I vote. The law is the law.

I frankly have no problem with it. I feel it should be required for EVERYONE who votes. If you don't want to show it, then don't vote. It isn't because any party is trying to stop you from voting, you are making your choice not to vote.

Sorry if you feel disenfranchised.

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 11:35 PM
link   
It is quite obvious that either that vast majority of you supporting voter ID laws have never voted or have never had a critical thought. I would very much like to see your side.
To begin, how does making me show a photo ID when I got to vote prevent voter fraud?
Simple question.

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 12:20 AM
link   
reply to post by LErickson

Well, it's like having a lock on your door or a cable lock on your bike - will it keep a determined thief from breaking in/taking the bike? No.

But it makes their intent obvious to all - intent is the hardest element of any crime to commit.

It is why so many things go unprosecuted - I didn't know, I thought it was my voter card, I was at the wrong precinct, I didn't know I was dead etc., are no longer good enough for the frauds, which will reduce the frequency of the crime by eliminating the casual fraud perpetrator.

If you have to show a face to match a photo you and have an official validate it you ensure that if there are irregularities there is a trail of witnesses to start with for an investigation. Sure you can vote early and often but someone will be able to put a name to a face - you are no longer anonymous.

The perps will have to either consciously use fake credentials (almost foolproof fraud) - right name/wrong face or vice versa to effect the crime. Can be done sure but; again - that has to be premeditated - intended; unambiguous fraud.

Nothing will prevent a crime 100% - any crime; the counter measures are often just to reduce the chances a perp will have reasonable doubt should they get caught.

The law indicates you can get ID for free - I guarantee if you called the DNC or the GOP and said you had no ID but wanted to vote they'd take you where ever you wanted/needed to go to get one.

Heck with the DNC they'd probably pay you…ACORN!

posted on Mar, 9 2012 @ 07:45 AM
link   
They took a non-issue and are flogging it for all it's worth as a distraction from far bigger issues.
edit on 9-3-2012 by Blackmarketeer because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2012 @ 04:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Golf66
reply to post by LErickson

Well, it's like having a lock on your door or a cable lock on your bike - will it keep a determined thief from breaking in/taking the bike? No.

Actually it is not like that at all. Not even a little. All you have to do is register and then vote and you will understand this.

But it makes their intent obvious to all - intent is the hardest element of any crime to commit.

Who's intent?

It is why so many things go unprosecuted - I didn't know, I thought it was my voter card, I was at the wrong precinct, I didn't know I was dead etc., are no longer good enough for the frauds, which will reduce the frequency of the crime by eliminating the casual fraud perpetrator.

But for real voters in reality these are not issues. These are just random thoughts you posted on ATS.

If you have to show a face to match a photo you and have an official validate it you ensure that if there are irregularities there is a trail of witnesses to start with for an investigation. Sure you can vote early and often but someone will be able to put a name to a face - you are no longer anonymous.

Voting is not anonymous in that way anyway. You really do need to get into he system to understand I guess.

The perps will have to either consciously use fake credentials (almost foolproof fraud) - right name/wrong face or vice versa to effect the crime. Can be done sure but; again - that has to be premeditated - intended; unambiguous fraud.

You are still just rattling on about made up nonsense. I am discussing reality.

Nothing will prevent a crime 100% - any crime; the counter measures are often just to reduce the chances a perp will have reasonable doubt should they get caught.

Are you seriously still going on with this thought? I am really sorry you do not understand how voting works. I am not going to write out an essay explaining it to you.

The law indicates you can get ID for free - I guarantee if you called the DNC or the GOP and said you had no ID but wanted to vote they'd take you where ever you wanted/needed to go to get one.

Again, more made up stuff. Where is my free ID? Tell me who has it for me so I can go get it because there are none being handed out here.

Heck with the DNC they'd probably pay you…ACORN!

So all you have is ignorance and imagination?
Turn 18, vote and get back to me.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join