It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Former U.S. Marine Turned Away From TN Poll For Refusing to Present Photo ID Under New GOP Law

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck
reply to post by Blackmarketeer

What an ignorant tool. Maybe we need an IQ test to vote as well?

You should have to provide proof that you are who you say you are prior to voting. To me that's common sense.

Possession of a voter registration card is not enough? They only count ONCE you know.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 08:45 PM
link   
This doesn't come off as anything but a pitiful PR attempt by a liberal media, to pull more heart strings. Support the Vets... blah blah blah, no thank you. Common sense points me into a different direction.

State Law. Simple, just follow the law. Your not proving any point by doing this, and if you decide not to vote, then don't. I'm willing to bet, this vet votes for Obama anyways.

I have a baby face. There was a point in my 20s, when I didn't have my ID with me, and I was turned away from an R movie. Yet, we have a voting system that's so lax. It's amazing that this is even a topic of debate. We need to curb voting fraud, and having an ID is one way to help curb fraud. Bravo for states implementing this law. States should provide a State ID free of charge to any who can not afford one if it's a requirement... This is the only way to sidestep the "need to pay" to vote mentality.

You implement a voting ID requirement, it curbs illegals and dead people from voting. But noooo liberals and progressives can not have that... With a law like that, they are doomed to loose a significant percentage of their supporter base. So for now, they will label this as racist, class warfare.... I'm guessing this VET photo op isn't going to work. What's next?

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 08:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Muttley2012

So in other words, anyone should be able to vote, multiple times in some cases. It's been proven that even dead people vote these days.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 08:54 PM
link   
Hope he didnt drive there w/o a valid DL.

Wonder where his military ID is? Last I knew they had a picture.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 08:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Henley
reply to post by Muttley2012

So in other words, anyone should be able to vote, multiple times in some cases. It's been proven that even dead people vote these days.

I didn't say anything about voting multiple times. Dead folks vote equally for both parties...it happens. No matter the safeguard, it will continue to happen. What's next? Requiring a DNA sample to vote? Most importantly of all, where in the constitution does it call for voter IDs? I won't hold my breath waiting for your answer.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 08:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Muttley2012
Ahh, BUT they didn't offer the ID for free. Because they didn't, they are in violation of the 24th amendment:

Wait -- so the department responsible in Tennessee is lying on their website? That they didn't offer free photo IDs and also directed government resources towards it? Okay. Apparently you don't want to even research the issue but rely upon the linked article the OP provided to determine your opinion.

Clearly, requiring a citizen to purchase an ID for the sole purpose of voting is a tax. Now, if Tennessee would provide the IDs free of charge, then they would be completely within the framework of the US constitution.

And they did....do people even have the capacity to research anymore?

I suppose you are not familiar with the 24th amendment then. (See above)

I am fairly familiar with it. What of the Tennessee Voter ID law goes against it?

edit on 6-3-2012 by ownbestenemy because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by ownbestenemy

Ahh, BUT they didn't offer the ID for free. Because they didn't, they are in violation of the 24th amendment:

Wait -- so the department responsible in Tennessee is lying on their website? That they didn't offer free photo IDs and also directed government resources towards it? Okay. Apparently you don't want to even research the issue but rely upon the linked article the OP provided to determine your opinion.

Link?

I suppose you are not familiar with the 24th amendment then. (See above)

I am fairly familiar with it. What of the Tennessee Voter ID law goes against it?

Obviously you are aware of it NOW...now that I made you aware of it. Your prior statement on the issue is evidence of that.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 09:05 PM
link   
With about 50% of the total population voting in the presidential elections and 5% of the population (if that much) participating in primaries and caucus' I'm glad to hear that we're working to make it more difficult to vote.

Great job Tennessee!

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 09:10 PM
link   
reply to post by randomname

the fundamental criteria essential for a democracy to be a system of government is the vote. the right to vote cannot be impeded with a photo i.d.

And with that right comes responsibility. How hard is it to produce some type of verifiable I.D.? Whether State Federal or military? The cops ask everyone for I.D, when they pull you over...what happens when you can not provide it for them?

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 09:17 PM
link   

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

It seems to me that these laws requiring ID to vote are in conflict with the 4th Amendment. I do not recall any portion of the U.S. Constitution calling for ID to be shown at the voting booth.

Now, I'm all for voters being required to show ID; however, until the constitution is amended to say so, then I'm in disagreement with the laws as they stand.
edit on 6-3-2012 by Muttley2012 because: (no reason given)

Then I guess DUI check points are invalid and Obama killing Citizen's whenever he wants to?

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 09:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by mugger

Then I guess DUI check points are invalid and Obama killing Citizen's whenever he wants to?

Yes and yes.

What's your point, strawman?

DUI checkpoints:

edit on 6-3-2012 by Muttley2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 09:23 PM
link   
Vote Early, Vote Often! not just an expression. That's why we need ID laws and in this case they seem pretty flexible in regards to what they will accept for ID. I need to show ID and two different copies of current bills just to sign up for a membership at my city rec. center. Gotta prove City residency to get my $50 discount.

This guy just wants to be the squeaky wheel of the day. Without ID a fraudster would just need a precinct map and a local phone book and a little luck to cast multiple bogus votes. Knowing which neighborhoods have a low turnout rate is rather easy to figure out.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 09:29 PM
link   
Now I see why he is a Marine.
Lets be HONEST here and admit he joined the marines NOT for his intelligence but for his passion or whatever. Maybe even for his lack of other opportunities in life.

BUT the rules atate that correct photo ID is required. SO his BRAIN tells his to flout those rules and try and come off as some sort of hero? SEE...NO brains, just cannon fodder.

People STOP using the excuse of being in the ARMED forces as some sort of get out of jail free card.

Do the RIGHT thing and you can vote. Why dont we let anyone with NO proper ID vote? YEah offer the votin to animals while we are at it. Dolphins, dogs...whoever want to vote.

Grow up Mr marine and go get your ID. That thing with your details and a picture of yourself on it.....ask your mum for help if you cant manage to figure out what that is.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 09:44 PM
link   
reply to post by randomname

Amen to that!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I voted today in Ga all I needed was my drivers license, nothing else was needed.

I guess forcing people into getting government approved special IDs for voting is nothing but what others has said, discouraging people from voting.

America is turning into one freaking joke at the expenses of hard working tax payer and voters.

Wake up people is just getting worst and worst as the corporate dictatorship we have cements its hold on one it once a nation of the people and for the people.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 10:08 PM
link   

Link?

The link didn't change from the first time I posted here.....

Tennessee Department of Safety and Homeland Security

For Citizens Without Government-Issued Photo IDs

If you are a registered voter and do not have a government-issued photo ID, the Department of Safety and Homeland Security will provide you with a photo ID at no charge....

Here is them providing a day solely for providing those IDs...

From November 2011 through March 2012, Driver Service Centers in 15 counties will be open from 8:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. on the first Saturday of each month for voter photo IDs only. No other business will be conducted during these special hours of service.

Not that a poster here would ever admit they are wrong and you are welcome for doing all the leg work. Amazing.

Obviously you are aware of it NOW...now that I made you aware of it. Your prior statement on the issue is evidence of that.

You were saying? What "poll tax" is associated here then? If they are providing the means to obtain an ID to participate, I see nothing wrong with it.

Edit to Add:
Now if you want to discuss the documentation to obtain such an ID, I can see where you and I could possibly find some common ground...
edit on 6-3-2012 by ownbestenemy because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 10:49 PM
link   
Just a point of fact, ID tags commonly referred to as "dog tags" can be used to cash a check, they are a GOVERNMENTAL form of ID, they have no photo.

Marines ARE Special, ( just try being one, I am one and have an IQ of 147)

Yes it is a RIGHT not to have to show a Photo ID, even to Police, as long as you are not operating a car.

and any of you that think "illegals" don't have fake ID's with Photos should never ever be able to use a computer again
(because with a computer, you can replicate almost any ID)

it is too easy to check and see whom you voted for and match that to your ID so you can be on a "list" if you did NOT vote for the correct person.

Some of you must be over joyed at the fact that you will have overlords

BAAAAA sheeple, Baaaaaa

Marines are willing to give their lives for your right to be sheeple, doesn't mean all of us have to be.

Edit to add: you can be denied the ability to vote for state reps without a Photo ID, but not a Federal Rep (IE. the office of president is a FEDERAL post)
edit on 6-3-2012 by thedigirati because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 01:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by thedigirati
and any of you that think "illegals" don't have fake ID's with Photos should never ever be able to use a computer again
(because with a computer, you can replicate almost any ID)

I don't think anyone is arguing that fact.

it is too easy to check and see whom you voted for and match that to your ID so you can be on a "list" if you did NOT vote for the correct person.

They don't match your ID with your ballot.

Marines are willing to give their lives for your right to be sheeple, doesn't mean all of us have to be.

Look, I let the first part pass when you start screaming you are a genius. On the Internet where you just claimed anyone can recreate their identity -- with such an IQ, you would think you understand irony.

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 05:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by links234
With about 50% of the total population voting in the presidential elections and 5% of the population (if that much) participating in primaries and caucus' I'm glad to hear that we're working to make it more difficult to vote.

Great job Tennessee!

In the general election, the popular vote do not matter -- or are you a proponent of making the election of the President to become a majority only selection?

Funny thing is, those that clamor for and whine that we need more democracy do not participate in the lowest levels of their democracies. The levels in which they can be most effective at. Don't like how your State voted for president? Become an elector. Don't like how your State selects its electors? Vote in the very much vaunted Direct Democracies that States provide to change it.
edit on 7-3-2012 by ownbestenemy because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Why would a citizen be unable to obtain photo ID?

posted on Mar, 7 2012 @ 04:13 PM
link   
National Law Center on Homelessness and Poverty - ID Barrier Report
(It's a PDF report)
"Photo Identification Barriers Faced by Homeless"

The report goes into many of the reasons people have difficulty in getting a photo ID.

In addition, if voter fraud were the real reason for requiring the photo ID then they would eliminate the "absentee ballot" and early voting ballots - since those have no ID requirement, other than to be registered.

The Republicans also show their hypocrisy on this issue when they hold their primary elections and waive all photo ID requirements;
No Photo ID Required to Vote in GOP's Iowa Caucus

The Dept. of Justice has also found that these states failed to demonstrate any significant instances of voter fraud by impersonation took place (unlike electronic voting systems which are RIFE with fraud).

U.S. Dept. of Justice Letter to South Carolina Blocking Voter ID Law (It's a PDF file)

the state failed to point to "any evidence or instance of either in-person voter impersonation or any other type of fraud that is not already addressed by the state's existing voter identification requirement and that arguably could be deterred by requiring voters to present only photo identification at the polls."

The report contains this census;

The most recent voter registration data available from the State Election Commission indicated that, as of October 1, 2011, there were a total of 2,701,843 registered voters in the state, of whom 69.9% were white and 30.4% were non-white. These data also show that of the total number of registered voters in the state, 239,333 (or 8.9%) did not possess DMV-issued photo identification (either a driver's license of a non-driver photo ID card) that would satisfy the requirements under Act R54.

The current method used for voter identification requires that you register, provide an address to receive your voter registration card, so when you vote you bring this card which is then compared to the checklist of issued reregistration cards for a signature comparison.

I find it rather curious that a bunch of "tea party patriots" are the ones demanding that everyone march on down to the statehouse to be enumerated and forced to carry a state-issued photo ID (which is the only photo ID acceptable under these new voter laws).

Under these new Republican laws, you'll be able to vote fraudulently with just a phony ID bought off the internet or some college kid. It wont change anything. But it will impact a large number of voters who can't get a state-issued ID or who refuse to be enumerated by such.

Want to know who the party of Big Government is? It's the Republican Party. Constantly passing new laws to oppress and further enumerate people, invasive privacy laws, and cramming their religious-driven social agenda down everyone's throats.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join