It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Former U.S. Marine Turned Away From TN Poll For Refusing to Present Photo ID Under New GOP Law

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 05:18 PM
link   
Former U.S. Marine Turned Away From TN Poll For Refusing to Present Photo ID Under New GOP Law
(Bradblog.com)

55-year old former U.S. Marine Tim Thompson was turned away from the polls today, Super Tuesday 2012, in the state of Tennessee, after refusing to present a photo ID before voting, as required by a new law recently passed by Republicans.

Thompson was documented by videographers attempting to cast his vote under the new polling place Photo ID restrictions instituted by TN's Republican-majority legislature and signed into law last year by the state's Republican Gov. Bill Haslam.

The former Lance Corporal, who left the service in 1978, has lived in Nashville since 2004 when he first cast his vote at the same precinct where he was turned away today. In an act of protest, planned in advance and video-taped by a number of media outlets, Thompson refused to show any more than the voter registration card he has previously used for voting in the state.

He left without voting, even though he has proper identification, saying he was protesting on behalf of the potentially millions of people who may lose their right to vote because they are unable to obtain the legally required government-issued IDs.

Now we see what these new laws are designed to do - discourage voting.

This U.S. Marine is doing his duty, protecting America from enemies, both foreign but especially domestic (namely those fascists who continually think of new ways to curb our civil liberties and democracy).

+1 more 
posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Pardon me for saying so, but that sure strikes me as incredibly stupid and self defeating. So he's of the opinion that any 'ol Tom, Dick or Harry off the street should be able to exercise the only real power we have as Americans, without so much as establishing who they are or what right they have to be there in the first place?

Well.. I'm sorry a Vet didn't vote, but I'll also say he's terribly misguided in my view. Without Photo ID, we don't even know for certain how large a problem we have to solve here. We only get glimpses when things go REALLY off the rails, and that happens often enough now to scare me half to death for the future of our system and nation.

Geeze... if someone can't afford it, give them the ID free. Give them a ride to go get it. It's not about using the ID as a form of tool to turn people away. i'm all for doing everything humanly possible to get ID to those who don't have it at absolutely no cost or trouble. It may be the ONLY thing I'm all for freebies on, but it seems a worthy cause as causes go.

The idea that we can't even be sure how many votes represent how many people,,,how many dead....how many aren't even citizens..makes us look WORSE than a Banana Republic,. At least the corruption of the 3rd world doesn't try and present themselves as being all good and without concerns. We do...and it's so dishonest it's obscene.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
Pardon me for saying so, but that sure strikes me as incredibly stupid and self defeating. So he's of the opinion that any 'ol Tom, Dick or Harry off the street should be able to exercise the only real power we have as Americans, without so much as establishing who they are or what right they have to be there in the first place?

Well.. I'm sorry a Vet didn't vote, but I'll also say he's terribly misguided in my view. Without Photo ID, we don't even know for certain how large a problem we have to solve here. We only get glimpses when things go REALLY off the rails, and that happens often enough now to scare me half to death for the future of our system and nation.

Geeze... if someone can't afford it, give them the ID free. Give them a ride to go get it. It's not about using the ID as a form of tool to turn people away. i'm all for doing everything humanly possible to get ID to those who don't have it at absolutely no cost or trouble. It may be the ONLY thing I'm all for freebies on, but it seems a worthy cause as causes go.

The idea that we can't even be sure how many votes represent how many people,,,how many dead....how many aren't even citizens..makes us look WORSE than a Banana Republic,. At least the corruption of the 3rd world doesn't try and present themselves as being all good and without concerns. We do...and it's so dishonest it's obscene.

/thread

This all that needs to be said.
I never understood the whole problem with photo IDs. Out of all the things there are that require IDs (bank accounts, bars, liquor stores, travel), voting is the one that actually makes the most sense.
edit on 6-3-2012 by Whipfather because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 05:52 PM
link   
Why doesn't he just grab a short form BC and use that?

I mean what's good enough for the president, HAS to be good enough for the people that vote?

On a side note, how will the illegals vote without their "papers"?

Sie bei den Wahlen?
Papiere bitte.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 05:54 PM
link   
the fundamental criteria essential for a democracy to be a system of government is the vote.

the right to vote cannot be impeded with a photo i.d.

a photo i.d. was not required 200 years ago, it was not required during the civil war, it was not required during ww2 and it was not required at any time in the history of democracies until now.

what's left. america is destroying itself. the rest of the world is probably laughing.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 06:02 PM
link   
Ok, I to hate all of the intrusions on our civil liberties myself. We could go into the list of recent bills that have been passed curbing our rights as American.
That being said, You have to have Id. to purchase beer,liquor,guns,ammunition, spray paint (if you look younger than 18), to drive a car,get in a club, get on a plane,cash a check. But it is ok to be allowed to cast a vote for elected office with out proof you even live in that district. With all the accusations of voter fraud I dont think this is too much to ask. Maybe I'm old fashion but is it really that hard to get a state id?

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 06:04 PM
link   
reply to post by David134

It's not that it is hard, it is that it costs money.

The vet is right, one should not have to pay to vote.

If the state gave out the ID's for free, then I could be with you on this argument. Fact is, some citizens can not afford the steps required to get IDs, does that make them not US citizens?

Should a citizen have to prove thier citizenship to vote? (That's the real question, IMO)

Yes, is my opinionated answer...

EDIT2

Does one need a state ID to pay state taxes? To pay federal taxes? (Honest question, my ignorance is grand.)

edit on 3/6/2012 by adigregorio because: such TO their citizenship

edit on 3/6/2012 by adigregorio because: Pay no attention to my ignorance, I ignore it all the time!

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 06:07 PM
link   
Whats funny is couple months ago I was watching youtube videos of people going in to vote and trying to give ID and the worker at the polling stations saying that ID is not required.Now it is?And this has been law since last year?

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 06:08 PM
link   
reply to post by rollin76

Tis a "State" law, so if you are not in Tenn. you should not need your ID to vote. Key word is should, I would research your states voting information before making a judgement.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 06:13 PM
link   
I love how people believe that by specifying that they are an ex-marine, they can do whatever they want and that they are above the law...

It's kinda getting old...

If you're an ex-marine, you should know to follow the rules and the law and that if you do everything will go well... you are also taught to be resourceful and obtain your objective using your brains....

This person is a whiny little girl who thinks the world owes him for going to war...

BS

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by randomname

a photo i.d. was not required 200 years ago, it was not required during the civil war, it was not required during ww2 and it was not required at any time in the history of democracies until now.

200 years ago, there weren't any hippies who believed that there was electoral fraud.. in fact people were paid to vote several times...

today, they want to stop that by ensuring that you are not voting 5 times for the same guy... it's called ENSURING DEMOCRACY....

common sense...

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 06:16 PM
link   
I am a 10 year Air Force veteran. I think this guy should not have been able to vote without his ID either. We are required to have our ID while driving or buying certain things. It is important to show an ID when voting so that illegals do not vote. Our voting system might be screwed up, but why not require an ID when you know it can invite fraud? I am fine with this and he should turn his attention to the NDAA 2012 bill that passed instead of this issue.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 06:18 PM
link   

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

It seems to me that these laws requiring ID to vote are in conflict with the 4th Amendment. I do not recall any portion of the U.S. Constitution calling for ID to be shown at the voting booth.

Now, I'm all for voters being required to show ID; however, until the constitution is amended to say so, then I'm in disagreement with the laws as they stand.
edit on 6-3-2012 by Muttley2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 06:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by adigregorio

It's not that it is hard, it is that it costs money.

The vet is right, one should not have to pay to vote.

This is hardly the case Voter Identification Requirements .

Who is exempt?

Voters who vote absentee by mail (view requirements here)
Voters who are residents of a licensed nursing home or assisted living center and who vote at the facility
Voters who are hospitalized
Voters with a religious objection to being photographed
Voters who are indigent and unable to obtain a photo ID without paying a fee

In this case he is intentionally trying to be an ass - wanna vote follow the rules, same with cashing a check ffs....

The law clearly isn't some kind of Jim Crowe poll tax.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 06:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Golf66

Which is why I said to research the voter information before making a desicion.

I agree, you should not have to pay to vote. So, what I agree with is already the case. Thank you for pointing that out, though I did say my ignorance was grand 'round these parts.

PS: He was a marine, and wanting to make a stink. The news folks wanted a "story".

PPS: I agree with Tenn. Voters should be required to prove vote elegibilty, as long as getting said proof does not require monitary loss...(Which it does not, in this instance.)

Anyway +1 for stink causing!

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 06:34 PM
link   
Good lord look at that loaded and sensational title! It plays both sides to a tee!

Now, lets get some facts straight and get the information out so we have have a discussion rather than moan and groan.

It isn't a GOP law. It is a Tennessee State Law. Sure, members of the GOP drafted and supported it - but they didn't declare it law and thus it is. Lets keep left/right out of this discussion if we can.

TheTennessee Department of Safety and Homland Security (never mind that ridiculous title) offered free photo IDs to registered voters. So we can stop with the "you have to pay to vote" lie.

If you are a registered voter and do not have a government-issued photo ID, the Department of Safety and Homeland Security will provide you with a photo ID at no charge. Citizens may obtain these IDs at 48 of the Driver Service Centers across the state. (The only center where IDs are not available is the Driver License Reinstatement Center on Murfreesboro Road in Davidson County.)

They even designated times when no other business would be conducted other than providing opportunity for state residents to obtain the proper identification.

From the looks of it, you are given wide berth as to what is accepted.

Tennessee driver license with a photo (current or expired);
A driver license issued by another state (current or expired);
U.S. passport;
Federal employee ID with photo;
State employee ID with photo (including those issued by state universities);
U.S. military ID; or
Gun permit card with a photo

Edit to add: Hat tip to golf -- his info came in just before mine.

edit on 6-3-2012 by ownbestenemy because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Muttley2012

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

It seems to me that these laws requiring ID to vote are in conflict with the 4th Amendment. I do not recall any portion of the U.S. Constitution calling for ID to be shown at the voting booth.

And you won't. Voting isn't a Federal issue. It may be for a Federal office, but voting falls under the 9th Amendment (our retained natural Right to choose our leaders) and the 10th Amendment.

Out of curiosity though, what part of the state law violates the 4th Amendment? As a thought exercise. Was someone forcibly searched by an agent of the State? Was something not secure on a particular person because they were not following the law? You can't just throw out an Amendment and hope to garner support.

Now, I'm all for voters being required to show ID; however, until the constitution is amended to say so, then I'm in disagreement with the laws as they stand.

If you are talking about a State's constitution -- then fine. This isn't a Federal issue.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by ownbestenemy
They even designated times when no other business would be conducted other than providing opportunity for state residents to obtain the proper identification.

Ahh, BUT they didn't offer the ID for free. Because they didn't, they are in violation of the 24th amendment:

Section 1. The right of citizens of the United States to vote in any primary or other election for President or Vice President, for electors for President or Vice President, or for Senator or Representative in Congress, shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or any State by reason of failure to pay any poll tax or other tax.

Source: U.S. Constitution

Clearly, requiring a citizen to purchase an ID for the sole purpose of voting is a tax. Now, if Tennessee would provide the IDs free of charge, then they would be completely within the framework of the US constitution.

a U.S. Supreme Court decision upholding an Indiana voter photo law. The opinion says that the Indiana law could stand because Indiana also gives a free identification card to voters who have no driver's license.

blogs.knoxnews.com...

Free ID would make the TN law constitutional. ID at a cost to the citizen makes the law unconstitutional.

Out of curiosity though, what part of the state law violates the 4th Amendment?

My mistake, I meant to quote the 24th Amendment.

Voting isn't a Federal issue.

I suppose you are not familiar with the 24th amendment then. (See above)
edit on 6-3-2012 by Muttley2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 06:57 PM
link   
Yawn.

The right of citzens without ID who says they are citizens eh?

Need id to drive
Need id to cash a check

But OH HELL NO don't you dare ask for it to vote.

That arguement is ridiculous.

posted on Mar, 6 2012 @ 08:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Blackmarketeer

What an ignorant tool. Maybe we need an IQ test to vote as well?

You should have to provide proof that you are who you say you are prior to voting. To me that's common sense.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join