It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ipad gurus

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 12:45 AM
link   
What's an Ipad and why are they so expensive? I saw one poster mention they had an Ipad, looks like a touch screen, but does it like play games on there? Is it for kids? Is it like some mini aged computer like a desktop? From the looks of it, it looks like all the applications you see on a phone. Like what are the advantages and disadvantages of an Ipad? Is this like some new age technology that is better than a PSP, or 3D DSI? Hmm, maybe, I'll get her that. But, to me it just looks like an amazon reader, or some type of phone. Thanks.
edit on 5-3-2012 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 12:48 AM
link   
iPad 3 is coming very soon. Wait for that one.. or a little longer for the iPad mini (rumored).

I think maybe you might be joking, though. Someone doesn't know what an iPad is? Seriously?

edit on 5-3-2012 by AwakeinNM because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 12:54 AM
link   
Ipad is a touch screen tablet designed for baby boomers who cannot figure out how to use a mouse. Ipad is a touch screen tablet computer that resembles a giant iphone designed for twentysomethings to look cool whilst getting a double frappacino with goats milk. Ipad is a touch screen computer that parents will buy for their teenagers so they can further humiliate themselves on social media sites.
In other words, an Ipad is a touch screen computer that starts at $400+, made by the Apple corporation(see Steve Jobs) that uses built in memory, has RAM chips installed, and can use Apps from a special store here.

www.apple.com...

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 12:58 AM
link   
Ipads are multimedia devices

They are expensive because each one has the soul of a chinese factory worker inside. Dont buy one unless you like killing people on the other side of the planet.

sorry for making this a downer... but deny ignorance and all that good stuff.
1 Million Workers, 90 Million Iphones, 17 suicides. Who's to blame?
Suicides At Apple Supplier in China
Workers in Chinese Apple factories forced to sign pledges not to commit suicide
edit on 5-3-2012 by el1jah because: (no reason given)

link   
I don't really keep up with technology, I thought the IPAD was an IPOD. They look totally different from one another. I know the IPOD, stores music like an MP3 player, I think. Sorry, clueless.

link   
reply to post by Manhater

As in all things I think it boils down to what you want to use it for. I'd say the advantages are that it is ultra-portable, fairly fast in terms of processing time for a smaller device and you can buy one with 3G capabilities so you can have access to the internet when in range of a cell station from your cell carrier. In terms of disadvantages, I'd say that it is pretty damn expensive as most Apple products are and it really cannot replace a laptop if that's what you're buying it for.

I bought one because my laptop fried and I was going to use it for school. It does have an app for Microsoft Word if you need it called CloudOn. However, even with a keyboard it can kind of be a pain to navigate. It's a touch screen device so you cannot use a mouse on it.
edit on 5-3-2012 by Sentience365 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 01:03 AM
link   

At first, I thought iPads were nothing more than big iPods. Then I got one. My whole family has them now. From my 9 and 14-year old nephews to my 20/30-something siblings to my 50-something parents, we all have them... and none of us can put them down. We thought about doing a family intervention but we can't find an app for that!

You can pretty much do absolutely anything on an iPad. Play games, read books, create documents, keep a schedule, take/view photos/videos, surf the interwebs, connect with people, order food, find answers, shop.......come to think of it, I'm just gonna live in iPad land from now on. I guess that's what THEY want.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 01:04 AM
link   

Don't feel too bad.. I don't own an Ipad, Ipod or I-anything for that matter. lol... I JUST left the Blackberry for a 'true' smartphone and that is an HTC...so I guess I'm a little antiquated too.

I'd say, imagine a smartphone where they just removed the phone function (kinda) and made the whole thing much bigger. There is the Ipad. At least that is my understanding. At half the price, I'd buy it. At that price? I have a Laptop and it does a whole lot more. It's even about as fast with an SSD running it.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 01:09 AM
link   
Well, I definitely won't be telling her anytime soon about it. I was just curious as to what it could do and if it was better than a desktop. She can stick with the desktop for now. lol still looking.

Thanks.
edit on 5-3-2012 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 01:10 AM
link   
Better to ask what it does. I read books on mine, plus comics and magazines. I sometimes watch netflix on it. Usually I just surf the net, reading articles here, on natural news, before its news, huffington post, etc. Oh, and I play games on it. Oh, and to the hater: my ipad has the soul of a Chinese factory worker named Peyong Hu in it. Nice guy. Very polite.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 01:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sentience365
It's a touch screen device so you cannot use a mouse on it.
edit on 5-3-2012 by Sentience365 because: (no reason given)

That's a limitation of Apple, not touch screen devices. Any decent Android tablet lets you plug in a usb mouse/keyboard. I had my wireless dongle plugged in and could use both. However, it is made for a touchscreen, so things like scrolling, right clicking are akin to swiping and long pressing.

And the keyboard can be a pain even when it's physical, of the device doesn't recognise certain keys.

I broke the TS on one of my cheap tablets, and resorted to using the kb/mouse and it became second nature, except the lag of most mobile devices gets to you.

I am completely at a loss as to why apple did not put USB ports on the Ipad, considering I first saw USB implemented on an iMac so many years ago... lol.

OP, if you're ever tempted, do not go Apple... get one of the many Android devices, freedom comes without a price there, and they do everything the iPad does, for half the price (if you go for a good specced tablet).

Or, just get an all in one self contained PC with a 23" touch screen monitor.. Personally, I'll stick with my PC.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 01:19 AM
link   
reply to post by mainidh

Yeah you're right about it being a limitation of Apple. Although I suspect most of Apple's "limitations" are planned thoroughly haha.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 01:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Sentience365

For sure
It's harder to jailbreak an iPad if you are limited in how you can connect it to anything they don't want you to hehe

Actually, I've never had an Apple product so I have no idea how all that's done, but I've had plenty of experience with Android using the ADB which needs to be connected to the PC (can be done over wifi, but iffy)..

I do know that Apple are very strict in their OS and hardware.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 01:57 AM
link   
Ipad connects to bluetooth keyboards and mice. USB peripherals? How quaint! To jailbreak an ipad, go to www.jailbreakme.com and push the button that says "jailbreak me". I know that seems really hard, but just take it one step at a time!

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 02:00 AM
link   
reply to post by rodredux

Curiosity kills the the cat?

Why is it called "Jailbreak".

I don't think I am going to buy a device for child that has jailbreak in it.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 02:12 AM
link   

Jailbreaking lets you steal games and other applications (aps). You do this by installing new software over the existing one. You can also modify your ipod/ipad as you wish (customize various menus, backgrounds, dimmer controls etc) that is not stealing but lets just say people dont jailbreak their ipad for the sole purpose of adjusting their background image.

Remember in doing this you steal from the developers probably more than Apple.

Jailbreaking also voids your warranty unless you put it back to its factory settings before you go in for a repair.

About kids, jailbreaking is nothing bad, there is no added danger to it- just lets you open up the customization and steal aps.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 02:15 AM
link   
lol, like she needs anymore bad influence. Okay, I am officially crossing off the IPAD.

I got enough problems, I don't need 1 more. lol

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 02:33 AM
link   
I bought one, but my 22 month old insists on using it all the time. I'm amazed at how he works the thing. Mostly plays games and surfs Youtube. Already knows most of the letters on the keyboard.. This next generation of kids is going to be very interesting.

posted on Mar, 15 2012 @ 07:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by el1jah

Jailbreaking lets you steal games and other applications (aps). You do this by installing new software over the existing one. You can also modify your ipod/ipad as you wish (customize various menus, backgrounds, dimmer controls etc) that is not stealing but lets just say people dont jailbreak their ipad for the sole purpose of adjusting their background image.

Remember in doing this you steal from the developers probably more than Apple.

Jailbreaking also voids your warranty unless you put it back to its factory settings before you go in for a repair.

About kids, jailbreaking is nothing bad, there is no added danger to it- just lets you open up the customization and steal aps.

this is far from true, thats like saying everyone who owns a gun is going to kill people with it.

new topics

top topics

join