It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I bought the computer

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 04:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Manhater

I loved the Commodore 64 and 128.....they were so easy to program when you are just learning. I miss them....

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 05:19 AM
link   
Probably a old Pentium 1 or 2

40$ .. is a big price for that junk

100$ and you could get a nice computer with windows XP

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 05:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Ben81

I decided that' Im going to donate it. That and my flat screen, and other monitor. I'll just buy her another one. I'll get it right one of these days.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 05:42 AM
link   
I knew a couple who had a child which was the same. If the child saw something they wanted and the parents did not get it, then all hell would break loose. There would be crying, screaming and yelling until the parents gave in.

What the parents did not realise is that the child did it because they always gave in. If the parents stopped giving in, then the child would realise their tantrum would not help them and would slowly learn there is no point to it.

Giving in is easier in the short-term, harder in the long term.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 05:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by wrksstudios
That's pretty old and not very secure. Stop being cheap and buy a half decent computer. Save! lol.

lol it's actually probably more secure than anything else around for the very reason it's NOT hooked up to the internet.

Even if it was... it's not even a version of windows that is relevant to most malicious programs out there. Why do you think people say mac OS is secure all the time? It's not to do with protection, it's just that more people use windows xp/7 on pc, that it's more worth while attacking them.

If you were a hacker with (hypothetically speaking) capabilities that rival (apparently) "anonymous". You had a choice between releasing confidential department of defence, or the department of education. Which one would be more relevant to today's problems?

Either way - she isn't "entitled" to a decent computer, and if OP decides that his/her daughter is fine with a budget computer - that's their issue.
It might actually teach her a thing or two in 10 years time about money. I never got a tv in my room until my mid teens, and even then it was black and white, and i really appreciated it!
To this day, i still thank my parents for teaching me the value of the dollar.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 06:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Manhater
reply to post by Ben81

I decided that' Im going to donate it. That and my flat screen, and other monitor. I'll just buy her another one. I'll get it right one of these days.

While it's hard to take you seriously with your account name (which i'm trying hard to ignore - haha), there is no right or wrong way of doing things.
Instill your children with values that you believe is best. It's hard for me to say because i'm far from having kids, but don't conform to mediocrity. It's not worth it, and you'll be fighting a battle with your child later that you've shaped with morals that you don't necessarily agree with.

And who's to say that person telling you to stop being a tightass and buy your kid a $1500 computer, laptop, ipad, flat screen tv, and all the other gadgets is necessarily "a good parent" either?

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 06:25 AM
link   
That isn't bad for $40 bucks! I know nothing of PC's but can't you upgrade those and fairly cheap? I only ask cause this is what everyone's argument is against my love of Mac. lol

I got this for $75 but it will be about $150 to upgrade it and it can only be upgraded to an older system for Mac but it will get online. I won't be able to do Netflix or anything like that but I will use it just as back up in case something happens or I need to take my laptop in for work. It's a collectors piece according to Apple so I will definitely keep it. It came with everything from when it was new minus the box. It even came with programs and discs so I couldn't complain when I paid $75. She wanted $100 and I told her $75. It also has all kinds of old games on it that i loved as a kid. I also like it for Claris Works which was a great program for Apple. Oh I miss it lol
my cheap find

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 07:07 AM
link   
This is gonna sound horrible, but GIVE this 'freeloader' or who-ever this kid is your letting urinate all over you, give them YOUR computer, because you've gotten me irritated now, and that usually takes a lot!!

I'm sure there are many who like your posts, I know I've tried, but ladiskadi's stars should tell you what a good percentage of us are thinking.

Your in a absolutely stupid and pitiful self-inflicted form of abuse. Now its getting me annoyed!

I'm ranting in a rant thread, so

edit, another thing... Did you research this computer purchase? Or are you doing this on purpose to troll this kid?
Unless you were trying to bribe her to drop abuse charges (I couldn't hack that whole thread...)
grrrrr
sorry, ill shut up now.

edit on 5-3-2012 by Qumulys because: (no reason given)

edit on 5-3-2012 by Qumulys because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 07:21 AM
link   
Just buy her a macbook pro with 512gb ssd, 8gb Ram and higher resolution screen.......

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 07:27 AM
link   

for what it's worth, the way I dealt with it.
this is not your average happy family.
i don't live with mom nor child
but there's love and trust, so what more can one ask for?

when she turned 12 and went to "da big school"
school started to push stupid windows-only DVD's with homework
the windows-crap that was in the house couldn't do the job anymore
so another solution was needed

i decided upon the hardware she could get.... no windows-crap
so we went for a MacBookPro, and i even installed wintendo on top of it,
you know, because her school forced us to embrace that virus.

Now, that hardware costs about double of a decent piece of windows-crap
so we decided the "total cost" was the cost of such a windows-piece,
not the full price for the Mac
because that's fair: we didn't offer her choice so we needed this correction to
compensate for that lack of choice
so we told her to start saving
when she had saved about 250 dollars,
we said "okay, that's half of the money we need. We'll take care of the other half"

so, we decided to go for the best WE could affort,
involved her in the burden of paying for it (but in that corrected fashion),
just to learn her that if one wants something, one should take care of getting the means.

In most situations, that's how she deals with us:
she wants something,
she saves for it
if we feel she needs it, she has to pay 50%
if we feel she doesn't need it, we always can decide to forbid her to buy it.
that way, she ends up saving a lot.

she doesn't own a lot of stuff
(why should she, it doesn't make one happy)
but the stuff she decides to buy is top quality, lasts for ages
(unless she decided to have her cell phone sleep outdoors in the rain;
and as a result couldn't text her friends for some weeks, until she saved
enough for the next one),
and she knows what it takes: the attitude to make sure you can pay for what you want

hope this helps

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 07:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by exo87
Just buy her a macbook pro with 512gb ssd, 8gb Ram and higher resolution screen.......

i agree with that!
not because i like the fetish debates between mac & wintendo fans
but because daily practice showed time after time that an investment in Mac,
in the end gives a better return on investment, unless you're a company that has to
depreciate the investment over a 3 years period (4 would be much better)

I'm running the latest MBP,
there's a mac mini in my living room, that replaced radio, cd, dvd, tv-tuner,....
there's an iPad somewhere in the living room, that replaces my library
there's a Performa that serves as a fileserver - that thing is too old to die and yet it just works
the same goes for a G4 and a G5 that are being used as media-servers or scan-servers

basic summary: a Mac stays relevant much longer... my Performa takes about the same time to fire up than does the latest laptops by Acer.

maybe this explains why I'm living alone LOL

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 08:10 AM
link   

The piece of junk

wow that brings back memories of computer lab.. lol

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 09:17 AM
link   

But to her it's a piece of junk. Why do I bother? Bangs head.

For $40 bucks which is a good deal, I got a compaq desktop computer with windows 95, the monitor, speakers, keyboard, mouse and all the wires. It's a starter computer. That she can play with and fiddle with.

Nope, it's piece of junk.

I swear, can anything make this kid happy? lol

She wants to take it back. Good luck with that. The guy already sold it to me. lol

She's like "I got a bad feeling about this computer". "Why? Because it doesn't hook up to the internet?"

edit on 4-3-2012 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

You don't ****ing listen, do you?

Kick the brat the **** out. Put her in foster care.

And stop buying her crap she doesn't deserve.

edit on CMondayam141419f19America/Chicago05 by Starchild23 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 09:21 AM
link   
reply to post by xxdaniel21

While it's hard to take you seriously with your account name (which i'm trying hard to ignore - haha)

This makes it incredibly difficult to remain respectful while offering advice...especially considering she doesn't listen to our advice anyway.

This is her personal rant board. She doesn't listen, she posts and then walks away.

If she did listen, the kid would be in a new home with a couple of other foster kids who would swiftly kick the **** out of her for being a snotty nosed brat. And if she refuses to leave, the police are paid for a reason.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 09:23 AM
link   
One more thing...

I have a sneaking suspicion that you yourself run on windows 95, Manhater. Nothing else can explain your totally obtuse logic.

Good luck getting any advice from me in the future.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 09:32 AM
link   

The piece of junk

You seriously paid 40 bucks for that? I've hauled working computers to recycling that were a lot newer than that hunk of junk.

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 09:47 AM
link   

It will need replacing. There is a small rubber belt that drives the tray. It has dry rotted and stuck to the pully. You MAY be able to stick a paperclip into the small hole and force it open to get a disk out, but it is junked.

Also if your floppy light is on constanltly then the ribbon cable is on backwards. Unplug it or flip it. Doubt there are floppies in the house anyways.

edit on 3/5/2012 by staple because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 10:14 AM
link   

reply to post by Ben81

No, you won't get it right... Keep wasting your time and energy trying though, it seems that is what suits you best. I really think you are comfortable with the abuse. You certainly get something out of being a victim. This must be all that you know...

edit on 5-3-2012 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 10:51 AM
link   
I'm a naturally nice person, so I'm going to offer one last little bit of advice.

STOP BEING AN EFFING VICTIM! kick the brat to the curb.

She's tried to get you arrested, she has ruined your property, she has taken a perfectly sweet gesture (albeit a little blonde on your end) and made it into a catastrophe.

You've tried your best, it didn't work. Stop being a fool and get rid of the brat.

If you're going to ask for advice, or come on here and complain all the time, at least listen once in a while. Trust us; we have some good ideas, and if you get rid of the kid (who isn't even yours) you'll be happier. Guaranteed.
edit on CMondayam383851f51America/Chicago05 by Starchild23 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 5 2012 @ 11:02 AM
link   
MH...you told us over a month ago, you had given written notice of eviction to the brat and her mother....

So, what's up with this thread. Will you have a MOD delete this one too if you hear too much logic from the people who care about you?

You need to remove yourself from the cycle of abuse. The only way you can reclaim your life is, to boot those 2 manipulators out of your home.

edit on 5-3-2012 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join