It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

new record for solving a Rubik's cube

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Hi fellow ATS's, if you are my age, no doubt you grew up with the fascination of solving those infuriating Rubik's cube. ( I was never very good at it, lol)

Now a new record has been set, by a robot built from LEGO, and an Android smartphone

This robot makes my own feeble attempts look like a total retard trying to solve it

Constructed entirely from Lego, including four Mindstorms NXT kits programmed in LabVIEW, with the addition of a Samsung Galaxy S II Android smartphone running a custom app as its brain, this robot has set the new World Record for solving a Rubik’s Cube, beating human Feliks Zemdegs’ former record by 0.4 seconds. CubeStormer II, as the robot is called, has thus set a Guiness World Record for the fastest Rubik’s Cube solver at 5.27 seconds. The app uses the phone's camera to capture images of each face of the Rubik's Cube which it processes to determine the scrambled colors. The solution is found using an advanced multi-threaded two-phase algorithm running on the smartphone's dual-core ARM Cortex-A9 1.2 GHz processor. The software finds an efficient solution to the puzzle which is optimized specifically for the capabilities of the four-grip mechanism. The app communicates via Bluetooth with the intelligent Lego bricks that control the motors driving the robot. The app displays in real time a graphical version of the cube being solved.

you can see the action here:

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Well that sure does take the fun out of solving the rubiks cube. Just leave to the robots to ruin the child mind.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Well i guess this just shows how far lego has come since i was a kid
seriously though, that was pretty amazing. Would love to be able to build my own. S+F

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Wow that is very cool!!!!

I didn't read the article just watched the video but is there any practical use for this or is it just an expensive toy?

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 02:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Hellhound604

Pics or it isn't true...

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 05:00 PM
link   
reply to post by zatara

well..... no pics, but only the whole video, rofl

ok, here is a Rubik's Cube for you

edit on 4/3/2012 by Hellhound604 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 05:11 PM
link   
reply to post by iksose7

true, when I was a kid, LEGO was unaffordable to me, but some of my friends had LEGO, and it was just this little plastic cubes that you could put onto each other. I was more into Meccano that was more available.

I was so impressed many years later to see how much LEGO has progressed, heck, when I buy my son a LEGO kit I think I am more excited than him putting the stuff together, I really wish he was old enough that I could buy him a LEGO-NEXT kit when I next see him (which isn't often, about once a year
). Last time I saw him we spent a whole 2 weeks building the Death-Star, lol.....but his mom isn't too keen on helping him with LEGO, so I can only give him LEGO-toys that I know we can finish together
..... but that is another story....

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Manhater

Well that sure does take the fun out of solving the rubiks cube. Just leave to the robots to ruin the child mind.

rofl, no, I would like to differ from you.... I think it would be more fun building a LEGO-robot, and let him solve the puzzle

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by stewiegriffin
Wow that is very cool!!!!

I didn't read the article just watched the video but is there any practical use for this or is it just an expensive toy?

Is there any practical use in solving Rubik's cube????

new topics

top topics

join