It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rush Limbaugh Apologizes for Calling Sandra Fluke a 'Slut'

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by wbf850
reply to post by OutKast Searcher

www.floridapoliticalpress.com...

wow who would have thought this was true?

And how sneakily they smuggled her in!

My name is Sandra Fluke, and I’m a third year student at Georgetown Law, a Jesuit
school. I’m also a past president of Georgetown Law Students for Reproductive
Justice or LSRJ. I’d like to acknowledge my fellow LSRJ members and allies and
all of the student activists with us and thank them for being here today.

(Full transcript to be found here: current.com... and in other places as well)

I mean, who would have thought that she was an activist for reproductive rights, if she only says that he was the president of the LSRJ, and what it stands for, and calls herself an activist ...

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by OutKast Searcher

It's just unbelievable the disrespect Republicans show women and there are still Republican women.

Being an Independent,I feel the same way about Democrats also. People like Chris Mathews calling Sarah Palin "profoundly stupid" comes to mind.........I don't like Sarah Palin either,but insensitive comments comes in all shapes and colors......You could write a book on it.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Methinks Rush is just trying to avoid a long drawn out and EXPENSIVE defamation lawsuit.

I mean, Think about it!

She IS a LAW student after all...

Might be good for extra credit at least....

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Limbaugh has been making offensive comments every day for years. When has he ever apologized before? He's in trouble with his advertisers and getting heat from the GOP establishment.

I simply can't understand why the Republicans don't realize contraception is a losing issue for the fall. They couldn't be doing more to fire up a big part of the Democratic base if they were trying to do it on purpose.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by sonnny1

It's just unbelievable the disrespect Republicans show women and there are still Republican women.

Being an Independent,I feel the same way about Democrats also. People like Chris Mathews calling Sarah Palin "profoundly stupid" comes to mind.........I don't like Sarah Palin either,but insensitive comments comes in all shapes and colors......You could write a book on it.

I disagree.

Calling Sarah Palin profoundly stupid is not a statement on all women....it is a statement about the individual.

Calling a girl a slut and a prostitute because she thinks contraception should be covered by insurance and is speaking out on behalf of women who think the same is a statement on all women who use contraception.

Tell me why Chris Matthews called Sarah Palin profoundly stupid? Was it because of something stupid she said that applied only to her...or was it because she made a statement about a women's issue in general that Matthews said she was stupid for holding?

Just because Sarah Palin is a women, calling her stupid doesn't mean you are calling all women stupid.

I love how people are bring up Palin and trying to compare it to what Limbaugh said to Fluke. Desperately grasping at straws.

ETA: I went to look up Chris Matthews quote about Palin...here it is.

“I think Sarah Palin proved herself to be — I think she’s proven herself to be profoundly stupid,” Matthews said to applause on-location in Los Angeles. “Her inability to answers the questions of Katie Couric, her inability of even now to explain if she ever reads anything.”

Yes, when you can't answer what newspaper you read and you reply "all of them"...that is a profoundly stupid statement. Calling it a profoundly statement says nothing about women in general. If a man had said the same thing...I would also call it a profoundly stupid statement.

You honestly can't compare the two.
edit on 4-3-2012 by OutKast Searcher because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 12:37 PM
link   

I love how people are bring up Palin and trying to compare it to what Limbaugh said to Fluke. Desperately grasping at straws.

hmmmm.

An insult (also called a slur, scoff, slight or putdown) is an expression, statement (or sometimes behavior) which is considered degrading and offensive. Insults (sometimes called "cracks" "remarks" or one-liners) may be intentional or accidental. An example of the latter is a well-intended simple explanation, which in fact is superfluous, but is given due to underestimating the intelligence or knowledge of the other.

You're wrong.

An insult is an insult. Period.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 12:39 PM
link   

hmmmm.

An insult (also called a slur, scoff, slight or putdown) is an expression, statement (or sometimes behavior) which is considered degrading and offensive. Insults (sometimes called "cracks" "remarks" or one-liners) may be intentional or accidental. An example of the latter is a well-intended simple explanation, which in fact is superfluous, but is given due to underestimating the intelligence or knowledge of the other.

You're wrong.

An insult is an insult. Period.

Yes, one was an insult to all women in general...calling them sluts for having sex and wanting control over their health.

The other was an insult to an individual who made some statements that warranted the insult.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Got it.

Call Mz. Fluke a whore and you denegrate all women.

Call Gov. Palin a # and you get your own tv show.

I love liberal logic.

edit on Sun Mar 4 2012 by DontTreadOnMe because: Mod Note: Do Not Evade the Automatic Censors – Please Review This Link.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Yes, one was an insult to all women in general...calling them sluts for having sex and wanting control over their health.

The other was an insult to an individual who made some statements that warranted the insult.

Justifiable insults....?

Priceless.

Dems and Pubs have their fair share of insulting one another. So do radio,and TV hosts. Why ANYONE wants to lambast someone for these insults,begs to question their agenda. Read the definition of insults. There are NO color barriers or ethnicity barriers ,or gender barriers. When you start creating threads on EVERY insult shock jock radio hosts are inclined to make,I will gladly give you praise. Till then, I see nothing more then keeping the insult alive,and proceeding with the agenda......

BTW ,Rush was wrong.................

Thats my "Independent" vote on this.........

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Also Maher insulting Palin and Bachmann gave us the best Fox News Selfparody ever:

(I particularly like the part where the 2 "strong conservative women" ask the "strong republican males" to defend them...)

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer

Got it.

I love liberal logic.

I love how conservatives ignore context.

Fluke was called a slut and a prostitute for speaking out against a policy of not covering contraception by a national listened to political commentator.

Palin was called a naughty name during a comedy routine.

One is a serious generalization of all women...the other is a comedic direct insult. Bill Maher hates Sarah Palin...Rush Limbaugh appears to hate all women who use contraception.

Yes...the two are exactly alike

edit on Sun Mar 4 2012 by DontTreadOnMe because: censors in quote

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Whoopty freakin' doo, even if he apologized, it still doesn't change the fact that she is still a slut.

This is just like to the time Joe Wilson apologized for calling Obama a liar, yet Obama continues to lie.

If she thinks her contraceptions are too expensive she should buy some condoms, they're much cheaper and are just as effective, even for sluts.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer

Got it.

I love liberal logic.

I love how conservatives ignore context.

Fluke was called a slut and a prostitute for speaking out against a policy of not covering contraception by a national listened to political commentator.

Palin was called a naughty name during a comedy routine.

One is a serious generalization of all women...the other is a comedic direct insult. Bill Maher hates Sarah Palin...Rush Limbaugh appears to hate all women who use contraception.

Yes...the two are exactly alike

edit on Sun Mar 4 2012 by DontTreadOnMe because: censors in quote

Also in Limbaughs case there was the context, and I quote, "She wants to have so much sex, she goes broke on birth control"
Let's imagine for a second he had said "That makes her an Idiot"

But no, for some reason he choose slut and prostitute.
Why?
Because "good girls" aren't supposed to have sex.
And this is why this insult is on a different level than mere name calling.

Edit to add: Actually if Rush had told the story of a man wanting subsidized BC for his girfriend (See above for flukes testimony transcript, his story is 4 times divorced from reality), he wouldn't have gone the "morally wrong" route. He would have gone the Idiot route.
edit on 4-3-2012 by narwahl because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by narwahl
Also Maher insulting Palin and Bachmann gave us the best Fox News Selfparody ever:

(I particularly like the part where the 2 "strong conservative women" ask the "strong republican males" to defend them...)

You know what I love about the video.

They are crying about Maher attacking Palin....while they spend the entire time attacking Maher.

Hannity ends with calling Obama "President Cry Baby"...but I guess that is ok. :@@

Conservatives appear to have a hard time seeing hypocrisy.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alxandro
Whoopty freakin' doo, even if he apologized, it still doesn't change the fact that she is still a slut.

This is just like to the time Joe Wilson apologized for calling Obama a liar, yet Obama continues to lie.

If she thinks her contraceptions are too expensive she should buy some condoms, they're much cheaper and are just as effective, even for sluts.

And you have proof she is a slut???

Please educate all of us.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Calling the kettle black.........

Priceless !

An insult is an insult,whoever says it,right or wrong.

Keep the insult alive,and you are no better then the one who says it..........if it really does matter to you.

Peace out.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Priceless !

Keep the insult alive,and you are no better then the one who says it..........if it really does matter to you.

Peace out.

No one is saying an insult isn't an insult.

But you and others have tried to claim that a personal direct insult towards someone who happens to be a women is an insult to all women.

Rush insulted any women who uses contraception...calling them sluts.

It's just not the same...no matter how much you try to make it so.

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by narwahl

You know what I love about the video.

They are crying about Maher attacking Palin....while they spend the entire time attacking Maher.

Hannity ends with calling Obama "President Cry Baby"...but I guess that is ok. :@@

I know. You couldn't make a better parody if you tried!

It even has some Stephen Colbert:
"And you dont hear that from conservatives - Now to hear that from conservatives, 2 conservative women"

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 02:19 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by David9176

So far, Sleep Number, The Sleep Train, Quicken Loans, Legal Zoom, Citrix and Carbonite have pulled ads from the program, and several others are considering following their lead.

thinkprogress.org...

And here's the reason why....his major advertisers are running for the hills.
edit on 3-3-2012 by David9176 because: (no reason given)
I was wondering why he apologized, since it's not like this is the first time he's made comments like that.

Priceless !

Peace out.
You're missing the point. Rush called a woman a slut because she defended contraception. Matthews called a woman an idiot, which given the variety of the videos there are of her saying stupid things, rings true. One was a woman insulted for defending women's rights, and the other was a woman who says stupid things.
edit on 4-3-2012 by technical difficulties because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join