It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA lost ISS codes

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 10:14 AM
link   
NASA IG Paul Martin said in written testimonyto the House Committee on Science, Space and Technology that a laptop was stolen in March 2011, which "resulted in the loss of the algorithms used to command and control the ISS".

Martin also admitted that 48 different agency laptops or mobile devices had been lost or stolen between April 2009 and April 2011 (that NASA knows of). The kit contained sensitive data including third-party intellectual property and social security numbers as well as data on NASA's Constellation and Orion programmes.

link to the article
edit on 3-3-2012 by brainswippin because: clicked entre too quickly

After all those years you're telling me that even NASA do not even have an agency wide data encryption solution.

"Until NASA fully implements an agency-wide data encryption solution, sensitive data on its mobile computing and portable data storage devices will remain at high risk for loss or theft," Martin told the Subcommittee on Investigations and Oversight.

After what allegedly happened with Gary McKinnon, i would have thought that they would at least have that.

edit on 3-3-2012 by brainswippin because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 10:18 AM
link   
Are those codes to encrypt communication or to control the station itself?

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 10:26 AM
link   
They must have more than one copy,what if the hard drive went

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 10:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Cassius666

They referred to it as "the algorithms used to command and control the ISS". Looks like it's the code to control the station.

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 10:32 AM
link   
reply to post by brainswippin

Definitely odd! In my book it kind of goes right along with the "ooops Iran accidentally got our drone". Another question, why do they even release this information to the media anyway? For such a secretive government, there sure seems to be alot of secrets that they don't keep.

On top of that, I love how government websites are always getting hacked. Hackers get into secret service...whatever, but yet everyone wants to tell us that our online banking is safe. Okay, so let me get this right, hackers can get into government websites but yet my financial info is safe online? Not sure whether to say "really?" or "Go figure!".

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 10:54 AM
link   
There is another thread already on this from a couple of days ago. Just fyi.
But I will add this again to here. I just can't believe they had the ISS controls on an unencrypted laptop. I have my Toshiba tablet with nothing really even on it encrypted. Any files on my computer I feel are important are encrypted with 2048 or 3072 encryption and passwords that would take even the CIA's best computer geeks days to weeks to brute force....if even possible.

The fact that the ISS control codes were on a laptop which were stolen for one...much less unencrypted means someone's..or several someone's heads should roll.

Actually..this is probably proof Apollo 11 did in fact reach the moon. If they can't keep a laptop from being stolen thus giving someone complete access to the ISS controls, then there is no way in hell they could have covered up a fake moon landing for 40 years.

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 10:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by webpirate
There is another thread already on this from a couple of days ago. Just fyi.

Also please read STARTING A NEW THREAD
AboveTopSecret.com takes pride in making every post count.
Please do not create minimal posts to start your new thread.
If you feel inclined to make the board aware of news, current events,
or important information from other sites;
*please post one or two paragraphs,
*a link to the entire story,
*AND your opinion, twist or take on the news item,
as a means to inspire discussion or collaborative research on your subject.

AND

POSTING WORK BY OTHERS
Going forward, if you post something that is not 100% your own writing or work you must use the EX TAG, post NO MORE THAN 10% of the original (or three paragraphs, whichever is least), and GIVE A LINK TO THE SOURCE MATERIAL. If the work you are posting is not on the internet, from a book for example, you MUST give a credit for that Book ( the title), its Author and Publisher.

Closed.

new topics

top topics

join