It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japan invents speech-jamming gun that silences people mid-sentence

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 04:26 AM
link   

Japan invents speech-jamming gun that silences people mid-sentence

www.myfoxorlando.c om

Japanese researchers have invented a speech-jamming gadget that painlessly forces people into silence.

The device works by recording its target's speech then firing their words back at them with a 0.2-second delay, which affects the brain's cognitive processes and causes speakers to stutter before silencing them completely.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 04:26 AM
link   

"In general, human speech is jammed by giving back to the speakers their own utterances at a delay of a few hundred milliseconds. This effect can disturb people without any physical discomfort, and disappears immediately by stopping speaking."

If you have ever heard the feedback loop that occurs sometimes when a radio show operator has a guest on the show live, and the guest has his radio on at the same time, the show cannot proceed until this is fixed (usually by just asking the guest to turn off their sound source so it doesn't feedback into the mic on the phone and cause a loop.)

Or perhaps you might have played a video game on voice with a friend, and had this happen. Notice that we have to fix this right away, or might as well hang it up.

The effect is so irritating, it stops the fun right away until it is fixed. And I would not be surprised if this is where this came from. Someone probably picked up on the effect, and decided to invent a device that would use the principle, except fine tune it even more. So that it continuously stops you from wanting to speak, because you just can't deal with it.

While it may have been invented in Japan, I guarantee you there will be more nasty applications of this effective, forced breach of the first amendment (right to free speech) in the US and elsewhere. How can you have any rights to speak, when with a device like this, you physically can't speak at all?

They could quiet a rowdy crowd down in seconds with a bigger better version, if the technology was eventually sophisticated enough to detect incoming speech from a crowd in multiple streams, and fire that right back at each person. Now granted, that has some pretty serious technical difficulties, but those have been overcome before.

And how do you suppose they could do this? They may be able to key in on voice characteristics, in pitch, amplitude, and center frequency, for example. This could immediately be identified as an incoming separate stream, and then appropriate high and low band pass filters applied to further isolate and track it, separate from other voices. And once you had that going, you might be able process those same streams with the delay effect.

Sounds impossible maybe, due to ambient noise and mixing of voices. But when you understand audio at its core, the idea is not at all farfetched. It MIGHT be possible. MIGHT.

But where it would really shine is in the case of a public speaker, with everything else quiet pretty much, and then a protestor starts clamoring. Fire up the device and track the previously mentioned attributes, and that guy is going to shut up. Fast.

It will be very interesting to see if that is one application of this device that comes to fruition outside Japan, or even there too.

Yeah, I don't like it. AT ALL.

www.myfoxorlando.c om
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on Sat Mar 3rd 2012 by TrueAmerican because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 04:29 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

I think I've heard abou
edit on 3-3-2012 by ILikeStars because: shhh. it's a seek writ.

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 04:31 AM
link   
They seem to have invented a few of these..

www.abovetopsecret.com...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

guess they should search their own research... or is that just ATS..

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 04:32 AM
link   
Multi purpouse remote control for girls?

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 04:33 AM
link   

Seems like an interesting piece of technology which could prove to be an effective tool in the fine arts of pysops and "enhanced interrogation".

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 04:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by ILikeStars

Seems like an interesting piece of technology which could prove to be an effective tool in the fine arts of pysops and "enhanced interrogation".

How?

It's no different than yelling at you.

psyops?

?

link   
reply to post by Bers81

There is a reason why you spend so much time on the computer isn't there? Social skills like that make you your own worst cockblocker, buddy. Good luck with the ladies.

Maybe there is a hot def mute out there somewhere for you

edit on 3-3-2012 by ILikeStars because: (no reason given)

link   
or a gun that makes you say things....

watch these two...

can a "speach gun" miss its target and hit two people at the same time?
edit on 3-3-2012 by Frankenchrist because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 04:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by mainidh

psyops?

?

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 04:55 AM
link   
ATS is stuck in a time loop!

I've seen this thread 4 times now!

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 05:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by ILikeStars

Originally posted by mainidh

psyops?

?

en.wikipedia.org...

Yes I know what it means.

I want to know how this maintains that objective when basically it's nothing more than distracting the brain from talking and only while the person is talking.

It has no effect other than that, even as the OP stated.

How can you consider it's impact in this scenario, given that psychological warfare cannot even come close to being realised using this?

Pillows are not psyop tools either, yet they too can silence someone...?

!!??

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 05:04 AM
link   
why don't they make use of their ability and advanced skills in technology for and spend their valuable resources on something more worthwile and useful like the cure for cancer instead, i just wonder.

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 05:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Qumulys
ATS is stuck in a time loop!

I've seen this thread 4 times now!

me too, I replied to two of them, and the measly search only found two. Yet one was not one that I had replied to.

It's a conspiracy I tells ya!!!

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 05:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by jamsession
why don't they make use of their ability and advanced skills in technology for and spend their valuable resources on something more worthwile and useful like the cure for cancer instead, i just wonder.

It's the Japanese.

If they can create toilets shaped like penises, I do not think they wan't much more than total domination of bizarro world!

Besides, who said they had to? Give someone enough free time and enough money, they can come up with whatever they desire.

That's how we came up with twitter and youtube...

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 05:09 AM
link   
reply to post by jamsession

Because the people who are paying them are not interested in cures. There is no profit in helpful technology. Why cure cancer and prevent money being trickled into pharmaceuticals?

It's much more profitable to silence a researcher who would announce that he has come up with a cure with a device that actually does JUST that.

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 05:11 AM
link   
reply to post by mainidh

reply to post by LeTan

i was ranting away.
nvm.

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 05:14 AM
link   
I don't get why people are afraid of this. You can still write your thoughts down. Do people believe if something like this was used the affected person wouldn't have any way to communicate he can't speak? Wouldn't it just justify in the end that people shouldn't have this amount of control and see those who would employ it be jailed?

I think people are just letting fear of such a device take hold and they don't think rationally.

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 05:16 AM
link   
reply to post by mainidh

You missed this one as well www.abovetopsecret.com...

I'm sure there's more!

I think we're being sile...

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 05:24 AM
link   
reply to post by mainidh

any tool that can manipulate the thought processes, take advantage of genetic loop holes, or be used to extract information via enhanced interrogation proceedures can be a useful asset to pysops objectives.

6 or 8 or days of this could probably be an asset to meeting certain pyops operational objectives.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join