It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Little Quick Help on Vitamin D, Please

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 05:21 PM
link   
Ok, it's not really a very substantive thread but I just got a test result back. The doctor noted it was the lowest Vitamin D reading he's seen, somewhere under 4 units. I gathered that the test didn't go low enough to find it.

So, a couple of questions:

Should I be concerned? And,

Is there anything I can do besides swallowing capsules with 50,000 units of Vitamin D?

I appreciate your advice.

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 05:23 PM
link   
Get out in the sun more often. You can get vitamin d from sunlight.

I also drink vitamin d milk. Every lil bit helps.
edit on 1-3-2012 by imawlinn because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 05:26 PM
link   
reply to post by imawlinn

Dear imawlinn,

OK, but I've seen one sunny day in the last, oh, maybe 10 days. I sit underneath a window and get whatever light comes through the clouds, but I'll make sure to get out when I see the sun again, thanks.

With respect,
Charles1952

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 05:28 PM
link   
yes sunlite is good. all those pills won't do nothing! you need sunlite so your body can metabolize them.
in other words,get off the computer and go for a walk!!!

i try to walk for an hour a day. does the soul good.(and your vit. d deficiency!!!)

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by charles1952
Is there anything I can do besides swallowing capsules with 50,000 units of Vitamin D?

Did your doctor prescribe 50,000 units capsules of Vitamin D? If so, then you probably don't have to worry about What is vitamin D toxicity, and should I worry about it since I take supplements?. If not, then, for sure you need to ask before you do.

Supplements can be a reasonable way to meet recommended levels — as long as you pay attention to how much you take. The recommended daily allowance of vitamin D is 600 international units (IU) for children and most adults. The recommendation for adults over age 70 is 800 IU daily. Above 4,000 IU a day the risk of adverse effects increases.

Finally, keep in mind that doctors may recommend higher does of vitamin D for a short time to treat an underlying medical problem such as vitamin D deficiency. However, such doses are given under the care of a doctor.

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 05:30 PM
link   
reply to post by charles1952

Im am no expert but I have read a bit on this subject. It is my understanding that most people suffer from low levels of Vitamin D unless you live somewhere really really sunny. I live in Vancouver BC and the winter months are grey and rainy so I take Vitamin D3 in a liquid dropper every morning and I take about 4-6 drops of it.

You can get Vitamin D from some food sources but not a lot, dark leafy greens like Kale or Swiss Chard are good to have in your diet. Also, fish is a good source but make sure you get from a reputable source.

Here are a few links you may find helpful -

www.naturalnews.com...

www.naturalnews.com...

www.naturalnews.com...

If I find any more, Ill add another post...

Good luck!

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 05:31 PM
link   

heres some wisdom. the sun is always out,sometimes the clouds get in the way! uv and other rays help produce vit. d.
some of the new windows block these rays out,and only let light in!
no matter what outside is the best!

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 05:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by imawlinn
Get out in the sun more often. You can get vitamin d from sunlight.

I second this! i have a vitamin D deficiency, doc said get out in the sun more as well as take vitamin D supplement, also lack of vitamin D inhibits absorption of calcium (do your bones and joints ache?).
for two weeks now i have been getting more sun taking vitamin D supplements with added calcium! and my bones and joints don't ache anymore especially in the morning when i wake up!

Take care of yourself Charles, get vitamin D goodness!

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 05:32 PM
link   
Certain foods are a good source of Vitamin D too, not just sunlight. A list of these foods are here.

Natural forms (not supplements) don't run the risk of toxicity.

Vitamin D toxicity usually results from taking an excessive amount of vitamin D supplements — not from your diet or too much sun exposure. That's because your body regulates the amount of vitamin D produced from sun exposure, and even fortified foods don't contain large amounts of vitamin D.

edit on 1/3/2012 by Iamonlyhuman because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Fatty fish (catfish, sardines, mackerel, eel, salmon), eggs, beef liver or artificially enriched foods containing Vitamin D might help you.
Source
Good luck.

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 05:35 PM
link   
Charles, did the doctor recommend that high dose of vitamin d? You can get d3 in 2,000 IU.
You might try doing a search on foods that are high in vitamin d. Here's one:

nutritiondata.self.com...
Good luck!

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Charles1952 - I had posted a thread a few months ago similar to your own but my blood reading, at the time, was 2 (the doctor even called the lab to see if they had double checked the results). I received some good advice from some fellow ATSers so you might want to check out the thread:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

With that said, I did try some natural means of upping my Vitamin D levels (tried to get more direct sunlight, ate/drank foods containing high levels, etc.) and in the end, I ended up failing and had to do the same 50,000 BTU regiment that's being recommended to you. I wish I could tell you that I felt a noticeable difference when all was said and done but I really didn't; however, I know there are some people for whom Vitamin D supplementation has helped immensely.

In any event, speaking from personal experience, I would just do the "super-charged" treatment and not worry too much about it.

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 05:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Iamonlyhuman

Im no expert but I have read that the average person is usually Vitamin D deficient so the risk of toxicity is next to none.

www.naturalnews.com...

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 05:38 PM
link   
tons of links to articles about Vitamin D on this page, hope it helps -

www.naturalnews.com...

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 05:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Iamonlyhuman

Thanks, iamonlyhuman. I suppose I should have mentioned that he wants me to take 3 capsules a week for 6 weeks.

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 05:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Pinger

Thanks, Pinger. Yup, bones and joints ache, but heck, I'm 60 this year. I'll check for the Calcium though.

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 05:49 PM
link   
You guys are the BEST. No wonder everybody loves ATS. And look out fish, here I come.

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 05:51 PM
link   
High dose vitamin d is a blood thinner.

It is NOT toxic at 50,000 IU my grandfather took 50,000 IU a day by prescription for 50 years for vericose veins it saved him it was safe. So if its by prescription take it.

If your asking for advice I'd say take 10000 IU a day for 2 weeks then back it down to 5 and keep it there.

Vitamin D right along with c,b,e are the essentials. Your body will not get optimal levels from food alone.
edit on 1-3-2012 by ISHAMAGI because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 06:15 PM
link   

As everyone has said, get in the sun more. This does NOT mean through a window. The rays are distorted and cannot be converted into vitamin D. You need to get straight sunlight on your face, hands, and arms.

Having low levels of vitamin D can cause countless problems. Having high levels has been proven to fight/prevent cancer, depression, multiple sclerosis, bone loss, etc.

Taking supplements will help, but there is nothing like the real thing. Also, it is very important to actually NOT use sunscreen all the time. If you are out at the beach for 8 hours, then yes, put some on after about an hour. Actually, them chemicals in sunscreen can cause cancer by damaging your DNA if you use it all the time.

Vitamin D and cannibus CBD, imho, can aid in the curing of SO many diseases and disorders.

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 06:26 PM
link   
It seems everyone is low on Vitamin D. I have noticed that when I take Vitamin D pills, I don't feel sluggish mid day, which is good for me.

As to the poster who mentioned not wearing sunscreen, I'd disagree with him/her if you tend to burn easily. This past summer I was in San Francisco and was outside for no more than 45 minutes and I already had sunburns. I'm fair skinned, so moisturizer with sunscreen is essential for me if I plan on staying outside in the sun for an extended period of time.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join