It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Little Quick Help on Vitamin D, Please

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 07:48 PM
link   
I too am Vitamin D deficient. Diagnosed about 2 years ago by an Endrocrinologist.
He was an idiot and discharged me, as the second test showed, after I had started to take my own supplements, my Vit D had gone up in the middle of winter!!

This is what I take;
Boots Bone health tablet-it has vit D, magnesium and calcium.
Centrum Advance
Vit E 300mg
Vit C 500mg
Zinc 10mg

Most people don't know you have to have a certian amount of Calcium AND magnesium AND zinc. to be able to use the Vit D. If you are deficient in one, you are deficient in ALL. Your body will have to excrete the excess of Vit D if there isn't enough of the other minerals, no matter how much you take of Vit D.

My adrenal were shot and I had been in hospital three times with Atrial Fibrillation. But now I am nearly back to normal.

Get a Daylight SAD lamp, this will help.

Eels have the most Vit D and then reindeer meat.
Mushrooms have Vit D too.
So a reindeer steak with mushrooms in a yoghurt sauce/cream soup is the best meal ever.
Fatty fish is also pretty good.

I also have low chloresterol about 2.6 (Normal in UK is 5.) This is linked to Vit D deficiency, as 99% of chloresterol is actually made in the liver using Vit D.

Go see a nutritionist, not a Dr, if you need help with nutrition! They will save your life.
Knowledge of nutrition saved mine.
Be safe

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 01:02 AM
link   
OK I am not a doctor so I cannot give any kind of medical advice. That being said I have to ask are you taking anything to stop the acid in your stomached? It has been proven that the such medications as prilosec stops or strongly reduces the digestion of many minerals and vitamins. D is one of them. Others are b12, A, calcium, magnesium, protein. This is a very short excerpt from a very long list. Bottom line you need the acid to properly digest and if you are not getting enough you will get sick from it. Low vitamin D is associated with bone degeneration, heart problems, and a huge increase in cancer risk. If you are not getting enough from the sun they you have to digest it and if you are being treated with acid pump inhibitors this will not happen. What is worse is even if you have the D without the calcium and magnesium it’s health benefits are strongly reduced.
If this is the case then I will tell you what I would try (because I cannot recommend anything for legal reasons). Raw Honey!!!!
Raw Honey kills the bacteria that causes 99% of the recurring heartburn/ulcers/acid reflux. I took a spoonful a night and all my ulcer and heartburn problems was gone in 2 weeks. I now take a spoonful at night two or three times a week and never had the problem again.
If this is your problem and try the raw honey (must be raw as cooked honey has some of the enzymes broken down from the heat) and it works then your ingestion of the D vitamins will start working again after you are off the other meds. ( I would recommend that you research the types of vitamin D. D3 is the one that you should check out.)

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 01:21 AM
link   
Why are you asking ATS if you should be concerned? I think you already know the answer using, at least, your intuition and what your doctor hopefully has explained.

Is there a problem with taking 50,000 units of vitamin D? If there isn't a problem, that should do the trick.

To those saying "get out in the sun more", have you heard of something called "Winter"?

I wouldn't count on getting vitamin D through food, it's not very practical. One could eat "fortified food" but it's not any different in regards to treating a deficiency than taking a supplement alone.
edit on 2-3-2012 by Turq1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 04:21 AM
link   
I am very grateful to you all. I don't know how to thank you sufficiently, so all I knew to do was give you all stars.

Dear Turq1, I suppose I was concerned because the information came to me in a two or three sentence e-mail from my doctor. When he said that it was the lowest he'd seen I knew he was going to suggest something drastic as a treatment. What I wondered was whether the wonderful people on ATS had some alternative knowledge about the risks of the proposed treatment, and if they had some additional information I could discuss with the doctor or do on my own.

You guys have come through magnificently. Pat each other on the back, or however you salute yourselves, you deserve it.

With respect,
Charles1952

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 06:59 AM
link   
I suppose my VD levels are Rock bottom. Thanks to job and DSPS (delayed sleep phase syndrom) i havnt been exposed to sunlight for well over a year now. Im actually doing GREAT! Im not sick(Was exposed to swine flu and many other nasty viruses and didnt get sick) im not depressed (quite the opposite actually) im fit and have a much better attention span then before this "shift" in my life.

However i must also say that i cook everyday FRESH!. Meaning no Preservatives whatsoever. The meat i eat i buy directly from the butcher. The veggies directly from the farmer. Well in asia things are fortunatly a bit different. So i guess i get my VD somehow. Oh i smoke and drink sometimes too.

However i would very much like to speculate on something. And if anybody knows the topic better then please correct me (please include Pubmed links thx)

as most of you know VD activates the transcribtion of RAD51 which is a importend DNA Repair Protein. So i think if Sunlight induces VD and VD induces RAD51 then isnt there a need for DNA repair? The Sunlight damages the DNA and because of the Damage a DNA repair protein gets translated. If there is no DNA damage then there is no need for repair.

So i guess this means if there is alot of VD in a persons body there is also alot of DNA damage. That correlates with the i call it "Trump" Leather skin people get when they are exposed to sunlight very often. So it might be a shortterm protection against Cancer but you age faster.

so if sunlight makes u old and none gives you cancer the best way is to get the VD artificially and avoid strong sunlight/sunbathing.

Speculation over^^

PS Im 28 now but people still ask me for a ID when i buy wine..

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 08:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by sad_eyed_lady
Charles, did the doctor recommend that high dose of vitamin d? You can get d3 in 2,000 IU.
You might try doing a search on foods that are high in vitamin d. Here's one:

nutritiondata.self.com...
Good luck!

50,000 units of Vitamin D is a prescription.

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by chevy369

Dear chevy369,

Yup, it's a prescription.

HEY!!!! THANKS A LOT, EVERYONE. I'll be taking your advice, my wife just came home from getting our prescriptions and told me we don't have enough money for mine. Fish, honey, walks on cloudy days for me.

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 01:15 PM
link   
reply to post by charles1952

You dont need a lot of sunlight out. The light will still be there even if it's not sunny.

Also it's possible the test was wrong, if you had an extremely low reading and no symptoms that would be associated with vitamin D deficiency.

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Just a note on using mushrooms as a vitamin D source--unless you harvested them yourself (and they grew outside naturally), they require sunlight exposure (UVA or UVB, I forget?:puz
to create a bioavailable form of Vitamin D, as many commercially-grown ones receive no natural sunlight exposure. It doesn't matter if you buy them from the store, you can still USE them for Vitamin D, just stick them outside for a little bit before eating.

A quick Google search for Dr. Mercola + Vitamin D will also yield an abundance of wonderful information about how to raise your levels naturally, best ways to get sun exposure, and I think he discusses supplementation, too...

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 03:50 PM
link   

why don't you go to the vitamin d council website?

all research info is there.

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 03:58 PM
link   
K2 goes well with D50's along with fresh leafy greens advice on page 1.

Have used 50's one per day for one week, then cut back to every other day, gradually reduce until you are taking one per week.

Be sure and have levels checked after this.

Not medical advice just what has worked for myself and other family members for various reasons.

Good luck, this is an easy one to fix.

Edit to say HUGE HYDRATION during this time...
edit on 2-3-2012 by antar because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 04:03 PM
link   
I take as much as 5000 IU a day in the winter due to the permacloud from Lake Michigan.
You can google on what is an acceptable limit, but I believe 50,00 IU would be toxic,
And of course, yes get more sunshine if you can, you body makes it form sunlight.

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 04:03 PM
link   

50,000 units?!

Did you know you can poison yourself on vitamins A and/or D?

I take 1,000 units a day (because I was told to by doctor) ... and it's listed as 250% of RDA.

Nutritionists are often found at health food stores. See how much a consultation costs.

edit on 2/3/2012 by Trexter Ziam because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 04:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Trexter Ziam

Thanks for your concern. The doctor told me to take 50,000, three times a week for six weeks. I just found out from my wife that we don't have the money for the prescription, so I'll try walking. (Depending on what the arthritis will allow.)

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 04:11 PM
link   
ORGANIC MILK.
2nd

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by charles1952

... we don't have the money for the prescription ...

Natural foods for vitamin D.

nutritiondata.self.com...

FISH!

How about 5,000 Unit tablets from any pharmacy?

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 04:17 PM
link   
Hi

This is a link from project camelot, yeah I know but it has a lot of info regarding vit D3

Vtamin D3
edit on 2-3-2012 by colin42 because: Forgot link

edit on 2-3-2012 by colin42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 04:19 PM
link   
I'm vitamin D deficient....my Doctor in Arizona told me about a study that showed you could lie naked on top of your roof all day every day in Phoenix and still not get a sufficient amount of vitamin D.

Just take a daily supplement along with a good multivitamin every morning.
edit on 3/2/2012 by kinglizard because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 2 2012 @ 04:56 PM
link   
reply to post by kinglizard

Dear kinglizard

I'm sorry, I know this is off topic, but my fingers have a life of their own. I can't stop them.

you could lie naked on top of your roof all day every day in Phoenix
Pics or it didn't happen. (Oh, I'm so sorry.)

I think I'll try the walking anyway. My Vitamin D level wasn't even registering on their tests, so maybe it's a case of every little bit helps.

(And I did it to a Mod, too. I'm crazy)

With respect,
Charles1952

posted on Mar, 8 2012 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by charles1952

Thanks for your concern. The doctor told me to take 50,000, three times a week for six weeks. I just found out from my wife that we don't have the money for the prescription, so I'll try walking. (Depending on what the arthritis will allow.)

I would try a different pharmacy. With insurance should be about $5 without under should still be less $20. Otherwise use www.swansonvitamins.com... They are cheapest and best I have found for vitamins and supplements.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join