It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Marriage and the Bible!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2004 @ 01:37 AM
link   
I post this here, since the issue has become political...but if the thread police choose to move it, thats OK-dokey with me.

Having recently heard that the Presidents "prayer team" is asking for people to pray for bush as he seeks wisdom to codify a constitutional amendment on marriage and that they want it to be according to "biblical standards" I thought we all could use a little reminder on exactly what the book says.

A. Marriage in the United States shall consist of a union between one man and one or more women. (Gen29:17-28; II Sam 3:2-5)

B. Marriage shall not impede a man's right to take concubines, in addition to his wife or wives. (II Sam5:13; I Kings 11:3; II Chron 11:21)

C. A marriage shall be considered valid only if the wife is a virgin. If the wife is not a virgin, she shall be executed. (Deut 22:13-21)

D. Marriage of a believer and a non-believer shall be forbidden. (Gen24:3; Num 25:1-9; Ezra 9:12; Neh10:30)

E. Since marriage is for life, neither this Constitution nor the constitution of any State, nor any state or federal law, shall be construed to permit divorce. (Deut 22:19; Mark 10:9)

F. If a married man dies without children, his brother shall marry the widow. If he refuses to marry his brother's widow or deliberately does not give her children, he shall pay a fine of one shoe. (Gen.38:6-10; Deut 25:5-10)

And since we are "preserving" the institution...and my brother's wife is kind of hot..but then technically she wouldn't be a virgin...but I would still have to marry her.
Hmm.
Damn these scriptural ambiguities!!!
Either way its good to be back in the 13th century again...isn't it?
Isn't
It,
slaves?

There is no enemy anywhere - Lao Tse

posted on Sep, 20 2004 @ 03:55 AM
link   
Man, these people crawled on my behind last night for posting a similar article, more or less, with the exeption of a few.
I'll agree with A although the United States is not in the Bible.
I wish I was in ancient times because B doesn't sound bad at all.
C is a little bit harsh.
I definitely agree with D
E and F Whoa, no divorce? Better build two houses, and my brothers widow? I'll go without a shoe!
Not to make light of it, but executing a bride-to-be because she's not virgin? Whew that would be tough.
But the Bible is the law and if we were living in ancient times I'd abide with the laws, though things did change with Jesus coming into the world.

[edit on 20/9/04 by Intelearthling]

posted on Sep, 20 2004 @ 06:36 AM
link   
WTH is wrong with you!? Don't confuse people with the truth! LOL......It is my biggest problem with organized religion, people will pick out the parts they want to follow, and forget the parts they don't want to follow......all the while, while preaching you must follow the teachings!

posted on Sep, 20 2004 @ 06:45 AM
link   
What am I susposed to do with one shoe??

Also, another should be added to the list.
If a women makes any type of agreement, contract, or transaction, or vow to God even, and her husband does not agree, well, it is automatically null and void.

Which leads me to wonder....

Why do the church people go door to door talking to the women and children, trying to convince them to go to church anyways....
They should be talking to the husbands.
To me, they seem to be just undermining the "authority" that they claim God gave to the husband, and well, even if the wife does become "saved", if her husband disagreed with that decision, any agreements she made with God would be null and void.

There seems to be a problem within the christian doctrine itself....and there is a problem with this administration if they choose to impose some of the concepts within it on our society (read Ruth, and well, particularly the insructions the mother in law gives to Ruth to "catch her second husband"......would you give you daughter that kind of advice?

"Wives obey your husbands IN ALL THINGS."

they make up a constituational admendment requiring that, and well, I'm gone!!! There's just too much public land in this country to hide in.

posted on Sep, 20 2004 @ 06:58 AM
link   
If I'm not mistaking, there is also a part in the bible stating that woman are not to wear make-up, you are not wear things like crosses or other jewlery showing off your religion....you are not be "worldly" there's all sorts of stuff Christians aren't to do, that they do anyway....but they'll pick out the parts that serves them to push, like homosexuality....

The Bible contains six admonishments to homosexuals and 362 admonishments to heterosexuals. That doesn't mean that God doesn't love heterosexuals. It's just that they need more supervision.
-Lynn Lavner

posted on Sep, 20 2004 @ 07:02 AM
link   
Since marriage is for life, neither this Constitution nor the constitution of any State, nor any state or federal law, shall be construed to permit divorce. (Deut 22:19; Mark 10:9)

Well given divorce rates in western countries it just shows that marriage is no longer the fabic of society. I wouldnt want to go back to the 18 century little alone the 13th century. Back then your parents could force you into a loveless marriage that they benfited from more then you. You could be a husband/wife struck in a horror marriage still at least the guys could have affairs if the women did it was most unacceptable.

posted on Sep, 20 2004 @ 07:06 AM
link   
That's all because it was never "God's" law....the rules were designed for one thing, and one thing only....to make more little dutiful robots.
The one about the brother marrying the widow is a dead give-away on this one. Then again, it's not as if the Church has ever been great at subterfuge, hehe....unless it involves protecting their own.

Of course, this whole idea of Shrubs is nothing but a Shell Game ploy anyhow... Don't look at the mess I made in Iraq, or Afghanistan, or on the Deficit...look at THIS!
I seriously hope people aren't actually falling for this....

posted on Sep, 20 2004 @ 07:08 AM
link   

Back then your parents could force you into a loveless marriage that they benfited from more then you.

You'd be surprised how much this actually happens...even today, and in Catholic families. One such couple are close friends of ours.

posted on Sep, 20 2004 @ 07:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok

Back then your parents could force you into a loveless marriage that they benfited from more then you.

You'd be surprised how much this actually happens...even today, and in Catholic families. One such couple are close friends of ours.

Well Im sorry to hear that it still happens my parents raised me in liberal way ie marry for love and happiness. Mayabe a more accurte statment would be that people marry for love more often in the 21st century then they did in the 18 century. Still at least marriage isnt the way of international diplomacy anymore (for an example of this just trace back the hertitage of the english royal family and you will find that the last tsar of russia was a grandson of queen Victoria.)

posted on Sep, 20 2004 @ 10:17 AM
link   
Bravo,Gazrock on your post...you have been moved upthe list as my favorite "moderator". Little robots...little robots...little robots.

The only true government is self government
The only true religion is a private and personal one

untill then we can expect the primates to be cowd into subservience by the usual means of swelling up the chest and barking the loudest. Terrosism! Bark Bark! Queers! Bark Bark! Muslims! Bark Bark! Patriotism! Bark Bark! Pay your taxes! Bark Bark! Send your children off to die in wars! Bark! Bark! Protect the tribal-local-emic-reality! Bark Bark! Fear new ideas! Bark Bark! Watch Television! Bark Bark! Buy things! Bark Bark! Buy things you don't need with credit you don't have! Bark Bark! Economy is bad! Dont complain or try to improve your working conditions! Bark Bark! Stop and frisk laws are good! Warrants are like letting the terrorists win! Bark Bark! Children, tell the police if your parents talk badly about bush! Bark Bark! Metal detectors in schools are necessary! Bark Bark!
God-dammit be afraid! Bark Bark! Don't you realize how much you have to fear! Bark Bark! Don't take your reward now, its comes to you after you die, but only if you stay humble and OBEY! Bark Bark! Obey! Bark Bark!
Monogomy is the only way! Bark Bark! Heterosexuality is the only way! Bark Bark! Missionary is the only acceptable position! Sex only for procreation...we need more robots, more robots to fight the robots from the other emic-realities...quick...kill them before their ideas infect the herd...if the herd's infected our GOD will be angry and smite and drown and burn and flood and all that other BS children.................
..............or it could be the fact that I havent slept in a week...........that must be it........more sleep....lets all go back to sleep. Grrrrr.

There is no enemy anywhere - Lao Tse

posted on Sep, 20 2004 @ 10:34 AM
link   
Please people you are going to confuse the poor religious bible believers with all this just like LadyV said.

They probable acused you for blaspheming the word of God.

See God is not the one that got cofused with his word, but men when were witting the bible through the ceturies are the ones that got cofused expecialy the ones that got rob when their virgin brides where no so virgin after all.

The bible is like on shirts that have one size fit all, you used and misused as to fulfill your personal agenda.

[edit on 20-9-2004 by marg6043]

posted on Sep, 20 2004 @ 05:38 PM
link   
The Bible is hardly the place to look for good moral role models..especially dubious role models like David.....

What was it that King Saul shouted to his princely little girlie boy son who preferred to sleep with a male lover David over his own little wifeykins?

"Thou son of a Perverted and Rebellious Female !!! Don't you know that you have CHOSEN TO MARRY the SON OF JESSE (aka David) to the CONFUSION (read: cross dressing abomination) of YOUR MOTHER'S NAKEDNESS---TO SAY NOTHING OF YOUR OWN CONFUSION?

HOW WILL YOUR DYNASTY BE ESTABLISHED IF YOU PERSIST IN THIS WAY, AS LONG AS THE SON OF JESSE LIVES???!"

Seems Jonathan and David were doing (shall we say) a little more than just holding hands and exchanging underwear and armour.

Read 1 Samuel chapter 20:30-32 in English (it's better in paleo Hebrew though) :

But of course, according to all those unpointed Hebrew Scriptures, David can dance around naked in front of the Ark of the Covenant (which according to the Torah of "Moses" (!) only the Levites were allowed to approach) can murder pagan Hittite generals married to Jebusite Princesses (e.g. Bath-Shebiti) so he can bang their wives, and still find the time to have sex with a "cross-dressed" ("confused") male like Jonathan --all this and yet STILL be called "a man after YHWH's own heart" whose "kingdom shall have no end "... !!

Great Role Models, all ye Bush Believing Bible-Babies !! Let's ALL Cross dress and start sleeping around with adulterous Jebusites ! Then maybe WE TOO can be men after YHWH's own heart !!

posted on Sep, 20 2004 @ 05:55 PM
link   
The Bill of Rights? Where is the freedom of association? Where is the freedom of religion?

If two consenting adults truly love each other and care for one another, then why can they not get married? Why can't a gay couple (man or woman), get the same treatment and privilages of a man/woman couple?

Are we not all equal?

If a single lesbian can adopt a child, then too should gay marriages be allowed, and have the right to children!

posted on Sep, 20 2004 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Whoa Amadeus I have never seen you talk like that before.

I remember that my favorite part of the bible as I was growing up and had to read the bible was the songs of solomon, for some reason I felt that that part of the bible was to explicit.

And I never ever asked my dear religious father about that, now my mother in other hand one time said to me "well what do you expect god told adan to be fruitfull and multiply".

While my father is a bible follower to the end my mother used to make fun of the parts of the bible that my father used to refer as god will.

[edit on 20-9-2004 by marg6043]

posted on Sep, 20 2004 @ 05:57 PM
link   
"A man shall not lie with another man"...

But the Bible says nothing about a woman and a woman. Why is that?

Because the Bible was written and edited by men, and just like today, a woman and a woman is alright.

(Heard that on the Bob & Tom Show the other week, just had to add it)

posted on Sep, 20 2004 @ 06:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by soothsayer
"A man shall not lie with another man"...

But the Bible says nothing about a woman and a woman. Why is that?

Because the Bible was written and edited by men, and just like today, a woman and a woman is alright.

(Heard that on the Bob & Tom Show the other week, just had to add it)

It is a reason and has to do with men spilling their seed, perhaps Amadeus be better into explaining these than me.

posted on Sep, 20 2004 @ 06:32 PM
link   
There is also the bit in Deuteronomy about being able to take a year off from work or the military after marriage so wife & bridegroom can rejoice--actually, I think it says so the man can stay home to cheer up his wife.

There is also something in Exodus about a husband not witholding food, clothing (including shoes?) or conjugal rights from a wife (well, that is if he should take an additional wife....)

I think that if the government was going to push a marriage amendment, these would have to be part of the PR campaign.

posted on Sep, 20 2004 @ 07:06 PM
link   
Those laws in the old testament were given to them because they were doing a lot worse things before they got the law. God didn't like everything they did, He just let them have their own way with some things. God made Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve, He made a woman and a man to be together for better or for worse. Those laws are put there to show how bad we really are.

For this reason God gave them up to vile passions. For even their women exchanged the natural use for what is against nature. Likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust for one another, men with men committing what is shameful, and receiving in themselves the penalty of their error which was due. Romans 1:26,27

posted on Sep, 21 2004 @ 09:23 AM
link   
wow. Impressive responses. And here I was thinking ATS's quality was getting flushed down the toilet.
Another weird thought is that Christianity is really the only major religion to have such hangup's about sex. The Muslims, Hindus and Buddhists have all had their "sexual" prophets. They all have places, practices and meditiations for people using the sexual energy for enlightenment. It's highly disciplined, such as the tantric or western-cabalistic pagan factions, but it exists. Only in christianity does it get such negative conditioning. Dr. Wilhelm Reich wrote extensively on this in the 40' and 50's saying the puritanical approach to sexuality in the US was the cause of 90% of the emotional violence, sexual hangups and crime. He also added (and this is important) that it was ABSOLUETLY NECESSARY FOR THE IMPLEMENTATION OF AUTHORITY unique to this coutry. Of course he was imprisoned until his death and his books (30 years of research) were burned in incinerators. How very Nazi-esqeu??? Others have suspected and written about that very subject, but Reich got into trouble when he started teaching techniques to change and alter this conditioning.
-MESSAGE TO OTHERS-
You May Notice These Things But DO NOT Attempt To Intervene In the process. This is a planet and certainly a country of robots and a lot of time and money has gone into the research of what it takes to control a population...to make sure that they suspect each other instead of the sheep-herder.

You know, statements like, "god created adam and eve, not adam and steve". Hilarious!
You should write that down and patent it...CONTROL will be so happy to know that they're particular means of control thought through the media is so effective. They just keep repeating it into your ear until it comes out your mouth.
Snore...............

What happened in western europe for centuries has been taken to its zenith here. The combination of a violent-imperialist-foreign policy, laughable and illogical patriotic zeal, and the talked about but mostly unpracticed teachings of jesus, have produced a country whose administration does whatever it feels like while claiming "divine" leadership and the masses of people do nothing but enjoy their moral superiority and wait for "their" reward in the afterlife.

I mean you have to think its a little f*******Up that in 2005 a leader would actually claim to be following the will of a god. I thought that practice went out of style 900 years ago, during the "dark" ages???

Oh well. I guess its time to return to grazing with the other sheep...I sure hope adam and steve are having a better time than I am right now.

There is no friend anywhere - Lao Tse

posted on Sep, 21 2004 @ 10:00 AM
link   
"god created adam and eve, not adam and steve".
I hear this everytime the topic of homosexuality comes up.....the other one you hear all the time...everytime someone brings P.E.T.A up...some nut says "People Eating Tasty Amimals......people spit these things out all smiles as if they are the first ones to ever say it!
and people are going to think they are so smart and funny!
I've been hearing them I know 10 years now, at least!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join