It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Barack Obama Waives Rule Allowing Indefinite Military Detention Of Americans

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 02:01 AM
link   
reply to post by reaxi0n

You're probably right about him knowing the outrage would come, but it appears that he didn't really waive it completely after all.

Either way, my mind is already made up about our leadership and any other elected officials. They are going to do what ever they want until enough people protest to make it worth their while to change positions. If your job required you to get the votes from your fellow coworkers every 4 years in order for you to keep your job, could you be blamed for having an agenda to sway your fellow coworkers into voting for you so you could keep your job, especially if it was a really high profile and lucrative job with amazing perks?

Anyhow, I would have thought that there were some existing laws on the books to handle any of these terrorist crimes, and such. What about treason? Isn't that a punishable offence? Are these potential new terrorists so smart as to be able to commit crimes which are subtle and nuanced enough too avoid the existing treason laws? I'm no laywer, so I am only speculating.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 02:02 AM
link   
Quote from statement released by Whitehouse

Section 1022 does not apply to U.S. citizens, and the President has decided to waive its application to lawful permanent residents arrested in the United States."
edit on 29-2-2012 by MrDetective because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 02:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by MrDetective
Quote from article

"It is important to recognize that the scope of the new law is limited," says a fact sheet released by the White House, focusing on that worry. "Section 1022 does not apply to U.S. citizens, and the President has decided to waive its application to lawful permanent residents arrested in the United States."

JUST THE FACTS MAAAM

Fact Sheet PDF http://(link tracking not allowed)/wd3Ak5

JUST THE FACTS

Why did you ignore the facts I posted then?

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 03:02 AM
link   
reply to post by reaxi0n

excellent point.The NDAA will enable the indefinite detention of americans on basis of trumped up terrorism charges. So like if some american says on the internet 'overthrow obama' he could be detained and tortured on the basis that he promoted sedition and terror against the state.

The law should be totally removed as it has deliberate loopholes in it. The Nazi america still continues.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 05:58 AM
link   
He doesn't need this in the NDAA nor does any other US President. Have you all forgotten about the "Enemy Expatriation Act" where they can just render US Nationals stateless.

They are violating International law and Law of Nations by stripping some ones statehood from them in the first place. Then you do not have a clue either, that means everyone born or living inside the US territories are US nationals.

Read the law and find out what a US citizen is because it is by law considered voluntary servitude. You are a subject of congress.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 06:01 AM
link   

After all they fear mongering and hype and paranoia in the end it all ends up being the the NDAA will NOT include indefinite detention of Americans. I feel that people in the conspiracy genre need to no jump to conclusions and over-react to issues before they fully develop. I would like your comments and your opinion on this development.

www.huffingtonpost.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 29-2-2012 by MrDetective because: (no reason given)

Fear mongering? Hype? Paranoia?!? Why was it included at all? He apparently thought it was a good idea at some time, but caved to pressure. How could any human being think that indefinite detention of anyone for any reason without being charged is a good idea? That is the purview of dictatorships, not liberty-minded countries. Obama is not a friend to freedom. Neither are his sycophants.

/TOA

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 06:06 AM
link   
reply to post by The Old American

there are still loopholes documented by one of the above posters.American can be detained on basis of terrorism charges not proven.Which means most libertarians can be arrested for sedition and so called 'financial terrorism'

And get out of Texas ,maybe Australia or canada or new zealand, because in next 1-2 years its going to blow.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 06:52 AM
link   
i'm confused ... why he would need to waive a provision he swore didn't exist ?

Obama signing statement

Obama then strongly debunked once and for all the notion that the NDAA detention provisions apply to American citizens, “Section 1021 affirms the executive branch’s authority to detain persons covered by the 2001 Authorization for Use of Military Force (AUMF) (Public Law 107-40; 50 U.S.C. 1541 note).
what a lying, treasonous snake he's proven himself to be.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 06:59 AM
link   
Come on, how stupid do thry think we are.

1. The NDAA was political suicide for Obama
2. They are only removing it because the states are now preparing for a breakdown in federal government. And many states are now taking measures to ensure the NDAA is illegal at the state level.

They had no choice but to remove the detention of citizens, what about the torture of people?

If people believe this will stop the globalist agenda going ahead then they need thier brains examined.

We are in a massive fight against corruption at the very top, these people should not be running government but should be running laundry in prison.

Oh and lets not forget obamas words "i dont need the NDAA to lock up people withou a trial"
edit on 29-2-2012 by TheMindWar because: Add info

edit on 29-2-2012 by TheMindWar because: Typo

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 07:09 AM
link   
It reminds me so much of this.

'It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grammes a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grammes a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.'

He removes a thing that shouldn't have existed and all to rapturous applause I imagine.
edit on 29-2-2012 by khimbar because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 07:09 AM
link   
It reminds me so much of this.

'It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grammes a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grammes a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.'

He removes a thing that shouldn't have existed and all to rapturous applause I imagine.
edit on 29-2-2012 by khimbar because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 07:28 AM
link   
Interesting. I wonder how quickly this directive can be reversed if the circumstances warrant. My guess is just a signature on an already written reversal directive. All kept in the same file folder of course.

This last minute directive could have been easily written at the time he signed NDAA. However, Obama chose to move forward in classic form to test the reaction of the public once again.

Steve Urkel our President. "Did I do that?"

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 08:20 AM
link   
What Alex Jones and other alarmists forgot to look at when they were drumming up all this paranoia. The original NDAA bill gave Obama the ability to "waive parts of the bill within 60 days"

Read the NDAA bill it is clearly written in the bill that Obama can waive parts of the bill within 60 days.

So Obama waivered the controversial parts of the bill.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 08:22 AM
link   
For those of you who are having a tough time understanding this. Its this simple

When Obama signed the originall NDAA bill he had 60 days to waive portions of it.

yesterday Obama waived the part dealing with "Indefinite Detention."

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 08:28 AM
link   
Hmm,just a thought-There IS an election process going on in America,at the moment? Enough said..

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 09:03 AM
link   
reply to post by khimbar

It does seem like we are living in the 1984 novel, doesn't it?

2nd

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 09:21 AM
link   

For those of you who are having a tough time understanding this. Its this simple

When Obama signed the originall NDAA bill he had 60 days to waive portions of it.

yesterday Obama waived the part dealing with "Indefinite Detention."

It took him 60 days to decide this was a bad idea because...? Maybe he thought we were too stupid to notice, and hoped it would go through unopposed. That sounds like him.

/TOA

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by HellstormRising
reply to post by khimbar

It does seem like we are living in the 1984 novel, doesn't it?

2nd

when does it get so bad that these measures are used every day
MSM is driving home BC population hitting critical mass ?
seems the problems with GMO will expedite soil issues concerned
with critical mass. We have problems we don't understand
and pissed off people...

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 09:36 AM
link   
reply to post by reaxi0n

Ive read it myself and agree with you, this is changing I to me, and they to them, same meaning different words. If you are still deemed by the national security team as a threat all bets are off you are in a hole. Something i see is that this National security review is a self implication problem on the part of these officials, what if the person is found inncoent, guess who is then liable, those who imprisoned them. I highly dought this story, not OP reporting it but the actual intent on following through from the top.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Barack Obama Waives Rule Allowing Indefinite Military Detention Of Americans

That's because it's no longer necessary due to the "Enemy Expatriation Act", which allows the government to strip away your citizenship.

If you're no longer a citizen, they can still detain you for however long they want.

Enemy Expatriation Act could circumvent the NDAA

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join