It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canadian government is 'muzzling its scientists'

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 11:17 PM
link   
So if this is happening publicly in friendly, gunless, neutral Canada can you IMAGINE what our scientists aren't telling us?
The cats out of the bag anyway now that they published this article.

Something just doesn't feel right. We know it. We sense it. We see it. We read about it. We're comparing notes but yet no one is coming out to make any official announcement. They're probably worried about pandemonium. Rightly so.
We're just getting drips and drabs. Dribble news. And we're left to connect our own dots.

Anyway...I can go on and on but let me just present this article for your perusal.

Government experts tracked a new ozone hole, but were not allowed to give interviews

The Canadian government has been accused of "muzzling" its scientists.

Speakers at a major science meeting being held in Canada said communication of vital research on health and environment issues is being suppressed.

But one Canadian government department approached by the BBC said it held the communication of science as a priority.

Prof Thomas Pedersen, a senior scientist at the University of Victoria, said he believed there was a political motive in some cases.

"The Prime Minister (Stephen Harper) is keen to keep control of the message, I think to ensure that the government won't be embarrassed by scientific findings of its scientists that run counter to sound environmental stewardship," he said.

"I suspect the federal government would prefer that its scientists don't discuss research that points out just how serious the climate change challenge is."

The Canadian government recently withdrew from the Kyoto protocol to reduce carbon dioxide emissions.

The allegation of "muzzling" came up at a session of the AAAS meeting to discuss the impact of a media protocol introduced by the Conservative government shortly after it was elected in 2008.

The protocol requires that all interview requests for scientists employed by the government must first be cleared by officials. A decision as to whether to allow the interview can take several days, which can prevent government scientists commenting on breaking news stories.

Sources say that requests are often refused and when interviews are granted, government media relations officials can and do ask for written questions to be submitted in advance and elect to sit in on the interview.

Continued: www.bbc.co.uk...

But we had this guy telling us this last year though:

Michio Kaku warning for 2012-2013

Drip. Drip. Drip.
And don't forget, those are just persistent pesky contrails we see. 'member that!

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 11:25 PM
link   
It's unfortunate but not surprising. In America, there has been a campaign since around 2003 to paint anyone that cares about the environment as terrorists, subject to denial of due process. I was actually just having a conversation about this with a friend a couple days ago.

This is not just about the environment "crazies" but about all of us rational folks that would like to breath air that doesn't make us wheeze, to drink water that doesn't make us vomit and for people on the coasts to retain their coast land. It is about the climate changing to one that grows fewer crops and therefor causes famine. It's important because it's about our quality of life.

Addendum: I convinced one starchly anti-climate change person two weeks ago that it was indeed real and that it is indeed linked to industrialization in about 15 minutes of looking at the real raw data available on the internet. It's not hard. It doesn't take a climatologist to figure it out - just look at about 3 graphs of data points.
edit on 28-2-2012 by pirhanna because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 11:32 PM
link   
LOL Canadian scientists. A moose should be muzzled sometimes.

Serious note. I wouldnt doubt that would be swept under the rug. Lets look a bit more into thisndelicious conspiracy sauce. I have feeling th esourc emay be an old friend.
edit on 28-2-2012 by Domo1 because: (no reason given)

The protocol requires that all interview requests for scientists employed by the government must first be cleared by officials.

Huh. Scary. Pardon my garbled message above. Try typing on a Nook. It's hard.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 11:36 PM
link   
reply to post by pirhanna

They're saying the government is micromanaging science which makes one wonder, why? Science is our friend. Isn't it? Their findings help us. So what are they finding that might not be beneficial to us or the agenda?

This is so in your face that even a Nun has to see the conspiracy by now. There is something going on and whether it's the Sun, another planet, a binary star, our placement in the galaxy etc....they're trying their hardest to keep everything status quo. But...the signs are getting too conspicuous now.

Thanks for contributing

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 11:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Domo1
LOL Canadian scientists. A moose should be muzzled sometimes.

Serious note. I wouldnt doubt that would be swept under the rug. Lets look a bit more into thisndelicious conspiracy sauce. I have feeling th esourc emay be an old friend.

I just wonder when the glaciers start melting how they're going to sweep the flood under the rug?

Looks like aerosol spraying might be a GOOD thing. But if they admit that to us then they would have to tell us 'why'. And apparently Canada and USA aren't in a talking mood.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 11:45 PM
link   
the ozone hole moves from the northern hemisphere to the southern hemisphere, it works with the weather, I believe it is larger during the summer months.

Why would they muzzle them?
Simple, to make people think their is a conspiracy to try and prove their fraudulent scam is real.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 11:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Human_Alien

This was posted somewhere here before on ATS and for the life of me I can't find it.......

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 11:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jerisa

This was posted somewhere here before on ATS and for the life of me I can't find it.......

That makes two of us because I searched it out because it was a week old.
I tried 'Canada', 'Canadian', 'Science' and 'muzzle'. Nothing.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 12:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by munkey66
the ozone hole moves from the northern hemisphere to the southern hemisphere, it works with the weather, I believe it is larger during the summer months.

Why would they muzzle them?
Simple, to make people think their is a conspiracy to try and prove their fraudulent scam is real.

Because apparently it's getting bigger. That was the reason they wanted us to stop using aerosol cans back in the 70's remember? Unless you're a youngin'.

Ozone hole getting bigger

The hole in the ozone layer is larger this year than in

www.sciencealert.com.au...

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 12:02 AM
link   
You always hear the arguement that " They warn us all the time and nothing ever happens." It brings to mind a old poker phrase that I always use to hear. All-in works every time but one.

At 42 years of age and being lucky enough to travel the US a bit I can tell you things have changed greatly. My family still lives in Tx. and has seen weather over the last 6 years that has not been seen in 100 years. Mother Earth is changing. I wont debate weather we did it are if it is just a cycle, but you would have to be blind not to see it.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 12:09 AM
link   
Damn dinosaurs and their Ford Explorers! And those pesky mammoths driving around in their stinkin' Hummer H3's. Pity they didn't listen to VelociraptGore and give him all their money in the form of carbon credit taxes. Bummer. When will this planet ever learn!?!?

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 12:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by David134
My family still lives in Tx. and has seen weather over the last 6 years that has not been seen in 100 years. Mother Earth is changing. I wont debate weather we did it are if it is just a cycle, but you would have to be blind not to see it.

No need to. The fact it was seen 100 years ago pretty much ends the debate.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 12:56 AM
link   
It might be a cycle or it might be a rare fluke. Does it much matter?
Who cares? Well.....except extortionists like Gore who make money by modifying everything unnecessarily. But besides them.....it doesn't change the inevitable outcome.

We're 99 percent certain it's not man-made because it's happening on other planets so......cycle? Fluke? Doesn't matter.

Not saying this is what's in store but ....we know 'cycles' have wiped out living things on our planet before. Now I ask you, would they have been better off knowing it was temporary?

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 02:53 AM
link   

I don't like the idea of scientists being denied interviews by their government. Maybe there are situations where scientists make false or misleading claims when they appear to have official backing, but I don't think that makes it necessary to make government permissions for interviews compulsory.

In saying that, I'm not so sure what this has to do with some of the other points raised in this thread. For example, what does contrails have to do with this? Are you claiming that scientists are being muzzled over those pesky ice crystals or are you asserting that something else is going on? And in the linked interview, Michio Kaku is warning against solar storm damage to satellites and electronic equipment, which is not the same as an ozone hole appearing.

Originally posted by Human_Alien
I just wonder when the glaciers start melting how they're going to sweep the flood under the rug?

What makes you think that they would attempt this, and why would they need to do such a thing? Indeed glaciers have been melting since the last ice age, and the sea level has been rising since we started keeping accurate records at the end of the 19th century. But are we heading towards floods due to glaciers melting as you seem to be implying?

The GIC rate for 2003–2010 is about 30 per cent smaller than the previous mass balance estimate that most closely matches our study period2. The high mountains of Asia, in particular, show a mass loss of only 4 ± 20 Gt yr−1 for 2003–2010, compared with 47–55 Gt yr−1 in previously published estimates
Recent contributions of glaciers and ice caps to sea level rise

Thankfully, the latest and most accurate measurements show that ice loss rates are around 30% less than previous estimates, and far less than previous estimates in the Himalayas. This may explain why there hasn't been any statistically significant acceleration in sea level rise. In fact, if anything, in the last few years sea level rise has decelerated. But by all means, if there is evidence to the contrary, please do present it.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 02:58 AM
link   

Are you linking a reduction in polar ozone levels to global warming?
Please explain.
edit on 2/29/2012 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 03:42 AM
link   
A bit more on topic. While "muzzling" the press is not a good idea (this thread and the article are very good reasons why not), I can understand some of the reasoning behind the "firewall".

The mainstream press, without fail, either intentional or not, manages to screw up any and every topic which has anything to do with science. Either through asking trick questions of scientists who are accustomed to dealing with other scientists or by completely misunderstanding or misrepresenting what is said by those scientists. My guess is that many of the scientists welcome the "interference".

Case in point:
www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 2/29/2012 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 08:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

really, lol canadian scientist, you should do your research and see what top state of the art scientific discovers canadians have found within the last 4 years! u be surprised!

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 09:50 AM
link   
i read a while back that scientists low ball the scale of climate change due to not wanting to create too much fear. i wish i knew where i read that. i'll try to find it.

here is an article regarding snow on everest... sherpa says it's been gone and the mountain may become unclimbable soon: www.dailymail.co.uk...

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 09:54 AM
link   
i think this is the article i read.

www.alternet.org...

evidence builds that scientists underplay climate impacts.

it's exponential and within our lifetimes the planet will be a different place. i'm not sure humans can adapt fast enough.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 10:06 AM
link   
It gets better. The station doing the monitoring is being shut down:

Canada's northernmost research station will close after last-ditch efforts by Arctic scientists to secure funding for the Polar Environment Atmospheric Research Laboratory failed.

"We've been working as hard as we can to keep it open, but we've hit the wall," James Drummond, an atmospheric physicist at Dalhousie University in Nova Scotia, said Tuesday.

The lab, known as PEARL, is located on Ellesmere Island, at 80 degrees north latitude, near Environment Canada's Eureka weather station. It has been an important centre for high-latitude, high-altitude research and has helped shed light on issues from climate change to the Arctic ozone hole.

Drummond and his colleagues have been working without success to replace the annual $1.5 million the station requires since its initial five-year grant ended in 2009. The building is to be mothballed April 30 and its communications gear and sensitive monitoring equipment will be shipped back south.

www.winnipegfreepress.com...

This means there will be a 5-year period with no monitoring at all. How convenient...

The Harper government is funding the construction of a new High Arctic Research Station at Cambridge Bay, Nunavut. It is also expanding the ability of the Polar Continental Shelf facility at Resolute, Nunavut, to assist Arctic researchers.

Drummond points out the Cambridge Bay station won't be ready until 2017. As well, it's much further south than PEARL.

related:

www.cbc.ca...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join