It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quantum computing IN OUR LIFETIME - IBM breakthrough

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Unity_99
They need to clean up this world, bring all of it out and equalize everyone and redistribute and step down.

I was counting how many posts before some twisted mind suggested violent social engineering. I predicted four posts, but maybe that's reason to be optimistic.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 05:55 PM
link   
My first computer's CPU ran at 1Mhz, my current PC runs at 3.6Ghz (3600x as fast on a much, much more complex CPU of course). If someone told me that back in 1987 or so, i would probably have called him crazy.

The first hard drives i worked with were 20MB...today if you download a driver for your graphics card the driver alone just for the card could be a 150MB archive. Back in the days, i would have needed approx. 20-30 of those entire hard drives just to download and extract this single driver archive

Anyway...aside from all that, what is still fascinating is that BASICALLY the computers are still working after the same principle...there is not anything "radically" new. Computer images etc. are still made of pixels, we still work with bits/bytes.we still use monitors etc....it's still the same principle as way back in the 1980 just on a bigger scale.

I am still waiting for amazing new tech like "beaming" life-like 3D images right into someone's eyes/retinas etc (as opposed to looking at a small flat screen in front of us).....or even better the ability to connect computers in some way directly to our brains...or whatever else breaking novelties....and we haven't really seen any of this, IMO. I am STILL looking at a rather tiny monitor in front of me, as i did way back..and chances are you are too

edit on 28-2-2012 by flexy123 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by imherejusttoread

Originally posted by Unity_99
They need to clean up this world, bring all of it out and equalize everyone and redistribute and step down.

I was counting how many posts before some twisted mind suggested violent social engineering. I predicted four posts, but maybe that's reason to be optimistic.

Like we don't have violent social engineering right now? He proposed exactly the opposite.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 06:06 PM
link   
If you believe in quantum computing, then surely you would see that perhaps what you see happening now has, in fact, already happened??? The question, then, would be, why are we doing this all over again? What is the point to be accomplished this time? Or, is it possible, this frigging computer hasn't learned, yet, how to do anything different, but just tell the same story over again with a slightly different "spin?"

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 06:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by tetra50
If you believe in quantum computing, then surely you would see that perhaps what you see happening now has, in fact, already happened??? The question, then, would be, why are we doing this all over again? What is the point to be accomplished this time? Or, is it possible, this frigging computer hasn't learned, yet, how to do anything different, but just tell the same story over again with a slightly different "spin?"

I'm pretty sure it happened before many times. The problem is, someone keeps implementing the "chip of denial" in people, mostly through social and biochemical engineering. Why? So that the stupid ones can rule by shear physical force.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 06:18 PM
link   
reply to post by flexy123

Chances are we wont be beaming anything into our retinas anytime soon but stuff like the smart goggles from sensics are going to be huge. www.wired.com...

also google goggles which is pretty much a internet connected heads up display in your sunglasses
www.csmonitor.com...

only problem is that popups will be a real life thing and i can already imagine an extenze ad comming up while your on a date

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 06:19 PM
link   
reply to post by DangerDeath

Ahhh, but there may be other, more sinister (cue X Files music) reasons. But, No , really....
second

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Sub-atomic level information and expression. Come to discover, that's what the Universe already is. The problem is there is a Designer and an Operator.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 06:21 PM
link   
The reality, the world we live in, is a projection and a medium of communication. The difference in intelligence prevents people from communicating directly. The effort in real world is to prevent direct communication and intelligent people are heavily outnumbered and criminalized if they try to organize in society. So, go figure, what will happen when those who are stupid get this enormous processing power reserved exclusively for themselves. Matrix and worse...

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 08:21 PM
link   
I hope these posts are complimentary, dealing with both QC and data storage/processing.
Wanted to add this report on Quantum Computing and Quoogling:

Seth Lloyd on Quantum Computers

Popular Science: How are quantum computers different from ordinary ones?

Seth Lloyd: Quantum computers operate at the smallest, most fundamental levels allowed by physics. On a regular computer, a single bit of information is represented by a whole bunch of electrons. In a quantum computer, you store bits of information on the most elementary particles. So a "qubit" might be represented by a single electron.

Why is a smaller bit better?

At the quantum-mechanical level, an electron can be here and there at the same time. And if you're here and there, you can do this and that simultaneously.

PS:How is it different from regular computers with multiple processors?

On a regular computer, a bit can be 0 or 1. Electrons over there means 0; electrons over here means 1. On a quantum computer, a bit can be 0, 1 or both. So in your quantum computer, one qubit means two things at once, or with two qubits, four things at once, or three qubits, eight things at once.
How many qubits are there in today's quantum computers?
We're up to around a dozen -- so we can solve complicated equations really fast. And if you have 300 qubits, you can do 2300 things at once, which happens to be the number of elementary particles in the universe. So you can do a lot.

How does the machine actually work?

If you control an electron, you can control the qubit. You flip the qubits by zapping them with microwaves or lasers. Those are things that we know how to do pretty well. That's all that an ordinary computer does -- move bits from place to place.

Do quantum computers look like regular computers?

No. Your typical quantum computer is more like a digital computer of the 1950s. The qubits can be stored in molecules, which sit inside a tiny test tube. But to zap the qubits, you need to pop the test tube between superconducting magnets. That's inside a cryostat of liquid helium. It looks like a beer keg with a bunch of cables snaking out.

How do you do the zapping?

You give instructions on your ordinary computer. These get translated into a series of zaps by the microwave generator. Then you look at the weak microwaves given off by the molecules. Those are the results of your computation.

What if you don't use your computer for solving linear equations? How about quantum Googling?

You mean Quoogle? We've played with this idea. You could search databases faster with complete security and anonymity. After Quoogle gives you the answer, you're absolutely guaranteed that Quoogle cannot copy what the question is, because when you make a measurement on an unknown quantum state, you inevitably mess it up. The no-cloning theorem says that if you try to copy an unknown quantum state, (a) you can't, and (b) you inevitably mess up the quantum state by trying. So you can't copy the question.
This is private browsing on a new level.
Yeah, and actually I took the idea to Sergey Brin and Larry Page [of Google], and I said, "Hey dudes, we came up with this awesome idea for quantum Internet. How would you like to fund this or buy the company?" And they came back and said, "We're really sorry, but our whole business plan is based on knowing everything about everybody. So this goes against our business plan."

What are the biggest questions quantum computers could tackle?

Where the universe came from and where it's going in the far distant future. We can try to answer these questions because the universe is a quantum computer. Think about it in terms of information instead of energy. It's made of bits -- elementary particles -- and how they interact are operations. You can calculate how many bits are in the universe, how much energy it takes to flip them, how much energy exists, and use that to rule out lots of things about the universe's history. Anything that takes more bit flips couldn't have happened. That also means with enough bits you could make a quantum computer that would effectively be indistinguishable from the universe.

www.popsci.com...

More here on Big Data, very interesting.

edit on 28-2-2012 by speculativeoptimist because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 08:27 PM
link   

So this is the paradigm shift whose fruits I witnessed in presentation after presentation at TED: a shift from a world of data sampling and extrapolation to one in which all data in a given realm can be collected and analyzed. That is Big Data.
AND BIG DATA is about to get much, much bigger, as we enter an era in which digital data merges with biology. This synthesis of codes takes the abstract world of digits and brings it back into the physical world. We of course know quite a bit about how life is expressed—in the four letters of DNA, in more than 20 amino acids, in thousands of proteins. We can copy life through cloning. Now we are beginning to be able to rewrite life, not just gene by gene, but entire genomes at a time. This is the difference between inserting a single word or paragraph into a Tolstoy novel (which is what biotechnology does) and writing the entire book from scratch (which is what synthetic biology does). It is far easier to fundamentally change the meaning and outcome of a novel, seed, animal or human organ if you write the entire thing.

The amount of data available to us is increasingly vast. In 2010 we played, swam, wallowed, and drowned in 1.2 zettabytes of the stuff, and in 2011 the volume is predicted to continue along its exponential growth curve to 1.8 zettabytes. (A zettabyte is a trillion gigabytes; that’s a 1 with 21 zeros trailing behind it.) The IDC Digital Universe study from which I’ve plucked these numbers helpfully notes that if you were inclined to store all that data on the hard drives of 32-gigabyte iPads, doing so would require 57.5 billion devices—enough to erect a 61-foot-high wall 4,005 miles long, from Miami all the way to Anchorage.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 08:46 PM
link   
Okay, Ill play a prophet from desert a little. But, where is smoke there is also fire...

The biggest effort is to preserve linear mind in society (individuals), quantum mind would destroy it (as stated above with the example of Qoogle).
Normally, all protocols are linear, all laws, all institutions are linear - pyramidal structures (including central perspective). The so called "chain of command".
Quantum protocols are stochastic, which means creative, since the outcome is unknown. Decisions are made in quantum state - that is what's different. You don't have "boss" electron out there sitting on a throne.
Quantum society would have no "leaders", everyone would be equally smart. All would constitute a unique mind, which is absolutely not possible in our kind of universe.

This is why they are going to kill the Internet before this power is unleashed. However, quantum approach will reflect on all other media, this is why culture is being killed worldwide this very moment. The realization has been already revealed: we don't live in linear Universe, the Universe is fractal and so are we. Our true potential is much bigger than we are made to believe. This will also make life as we know it obsolete. With quantum processing, time will become irrelevant. The consequence of that is that personality projection will shift from isolated individual to the stochastic "unknown".

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 08:55 PM
link   
once again gene roddenberry, our generations nostradamus, predicted this in star trek.

if you've watched the show, you will see the ship's engineers fix "gel" packs. which are a part of the ships computers and in a sense a quantum computer because the gel packs are composed of atoms of biological origin.

"Bio-neural gel packs were a form of computer technology used by Starfleet and first developed in the early 2370s."-star trek wiki.

edit on 28-2-2012 by randomname because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 09:08 PM
link   
I suggest people don't get your hopes to high because this mean only a build size computer in our life time... pocket size will be probable to 50 years ahead.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 09:12 PM
link   
Interesting thread OP

I also read some time back that they we talking about using DNA as a storage medium..

DNA has a vast amount of storage capacity computers might tap the vast storage capacity that enables DNA to hold the complex blueprints of living organisms. The storage capacity of a single gram of DNA can hold as much information as one trillion compact discs.

Source.. futureforall.org

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 09:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Juston

I'm a hobbyist programmer. Not an expert, by any means.

But as far as I know, quantum computing is not the same as present day computing. Somehow, it's on a different level. What I'm being led to believe is that, in the future, all computers will have a quantum computing unit like they have a floating-point computing unit. This will be used for those cases where quantum computing is faster. But please note that quantum computing is NOT faster at everything!! This is the main point! In fact, there's a good chunk of computing that would still be handled by conventional processors. Those will speed up as we condense them into smaller and smaller chunks and as we move processing into three dimensions and are able to keep the whole chip cool enough to use it.

...So I'm led to believe that "chips" will be much more three dimensional in the future. I think that present day chips are very "flat". Once we can -effectively- go up and down in architecture it will help greatly. We're not really able to do this yet because of heat and conductivity issues, I believe.

Ironic that we call them "chips" because they're mostly 2D in architecture!

Here is a corroborating link:
www.bukisa.com ...
edit on 28-2-2012 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 09:13 PM
link   
Wow, now i can bust a nut BEFORE i even watch teh pron!

When can I has?

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 09:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by blackcube
I suggest people don't get your hopes to high because this mean only a build size computer in our life time... pocket size will be probable to 50 years ahead.

I think it is the principle that is important, because you don't need high tech to apply it in your day to day activities and in understanding things about the world and yourself. Perhaps the unused parts of our brains are supposed to do that?

There is such thing as synchronicity - it is not a pure chance for coincidence, it relies on one's experience and ability to recognize the utilizable energy (knowledge) in apparently irrelevant circumstances (unknown spin state) , and so it happens! You suddenly know, you have a realization, and it means a quality added to your self.

I'm pretty sure quantum processing is cumulative. Instead of speeding up processes of searching through data bases, like in ordinary computers, you increase the amount of available KNOWN data at immediate disposal. You don't need time to get the answer.

If we already know 2+2=4, why bother and calculate it each goddam time?

edit on 28-2-2012 by DangerDeath because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 09:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Juston

With the potential implications of this on the future of AI and robotics, I find the Cylon Centurion in your profile quite a possible problem in the future.

When computers can think for themselves and learn, then they have the ability to do something about their situation. Consider your average desktop or laptop computer. They work tirelessly all the time, always active. But, when they are capable of being aware of things, who's to say they'll be happy?

Quantum computers could be awesome, but who knows... There's a great potential for some not so awesome stuff to come out of it.

posted on Feb, 28 2012 @ 09:48 PM
link   
Not only can a Qubit store both a zero and a 1 simultaneously, if the current theories about quantum multiverse turns out to be correct, the Qubit can exist in many different dimensions at the same time... Talk about massive parallelism!
A Qubit could be in fact a multidimensional array. This is exciting stuff.
edit on 28-2-2012 by charlyv because: content

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join