It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quantum computing IN OUR LIFETIME - IBM breakthrough

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 03:34 AM
link   
Your all kidding yourself whoever believes this will happen.

Within the next fifteen years there will be WW3, chronic food shortages, collapse of the west,etc.

We'll all be using stone tools at best in the next fifteen years the way things are currently going.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 05:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Samsquanch
I don't think it's a stretch at all to think that sometime soon quantum computing at home will become the norm. Just look at how far we've progressed in the last 50 years and how fast personal computing evolves every year, not to mention the capabilities of the super computer the NSA has under their headquarters in Ft. Mead. For all we know quantum computing all ready exists.

You are right and case closed... It has been around we are just getting a taste of it. If it is an idea, than it has already been done.

U

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 05:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Starchild23

"So...these new "supercomputers" (whenever they arrive) will be able to handle all 500 gigs of my computing power and remain stoically capable of running 50 more gigs?

This is awesome sauce."

When these's babys appear we well be talking Yotta Hz not Giga Hz. And then.............Here comes the singularity!

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 07:18 AM
link   
it may be 15 years to develop but it will take a lot longer before it becomes cheap enough for the average consumer

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 07:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Juston

www.theregister.co.uk

“In the past, people have said, maybe it’s 50 years away, it’s a dream, maybe it’ll happen sometime,” Mark Ketchen, manager of the physics of information group at IBM’s Watson Research Centre, told the New York Times. “I used to think it was 50. Now I’m thinking like it’s 15 or a little more. It’s within reach. It’s within our lifetime. It’s going to happen.”

(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.wired.com
www.sci-tech-today.com

I'm not as excited as everyone else. All this means is SUPER small "transistors". Meaning, the potential for a lot of computing power in a small package. But how big is the container for the quantum processor to ensure there is no interference? Think cray supercomputer.. calculator filling up a gymnasium.

It's exciting to think that computers are increasing in speed, less power and smaller.. but we are already seeing this. By the time quantum computers become commonplace advances in existing technology will also be sufficiently advanced to make that "quantum" leap not so amazing.

You know.. essentially what this guy is saying is "WOW! technology is going to be soooo advanced in 15 to 20 years". Yeah.

Remember cellphones in 1995? What about your 486 with math co-processor.. Now look at your smartphone.. Technology advances a lot in 15 years. This is another path to advancement. But if it wasn't quantum computing it would be something else to get us there.

I think the interest in quantum computers is purposefully sensationalized, playing on people's "magical" ideas of quantum mechanics.. People have visions of magically controlling their processor.. Of somehow a quantum computer comes to life in some magical way all on it's own. All we are talking about is size. There are no magic powers. We still have to program them.

It boils down to is SIZE.

It's cool.. but quantum computing doesn't mean time travel or teleportation unless someone figures out how to make that happen.. And maybe these proofs will be calculated on a quantum computer faster than a traditional computer...

Quantum computers exist right now.. www.dwavesys.com...

they just suck more than regular computers because they are big..

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 07:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Juston
[more]
This is just great. Does this mean about 50% unemployment is coming?

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 08:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Samsquanch

Apparently the technology which is released today to the public is already 30 to 40 years old. I don't know if that claim is true but I've heard it many times. But for arguments sake lets say 10 to 15 years. That's already pretty awesome. So when is SkyNet going online again...hehehe

edit on 29-2-2012 by XLR8R because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 10:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by XLR8R
reply to post by Samsquanch

Apparently the technology which is released today to the public is already 30 to 40 years old. I don't know if that claim is true but I've heard it many times. But for arguments sake lets say 10 to 15 years. That's already pretty awesome. So when is SkyNet going online again...hehehe

edit on 29-2-2012 by XLR8R because: (no reason given)

Right so most people agree that a small collective (probably gov) will be the first with access to solid stable quantum computers.
Say they have it for but a year before releasing it.

Powerful machines in the hands of people who want to control us.

The kind of simulations + extrapolations they could run in just a few months on one of these things is scary to think of.

They will overnight become a million times more ruthless , savvy and calculating in their decisions.

I really hope if this is successful , that its a bunch of honest open scientists.
However considering any kind of new breakthrough will be snapped up by Gov agencies straight away my hopes are not so high.

Anyways , that being said Quantum computing is one of my big hopes.
We're at the birth of computers if you consider how long people have been around we've had computers for a tiny percentage of that. And computers will be with humans for as long as humans are around. I believe. Probably almost definately not in the form we see them now.

We are at the beginning, we are getting to Computer 2.0

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 07:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by rwfresh

Originally posted by Juston

www.theregister.co.uk

“In the past, people have said, maybe it’s 50 years away, it’s a dream, maybe it’ll happen sometime,” Mark Ketchen, manager of the physics of information group at IBM’s Watson Research Centre, told the New York Times. “I used to think it was 50. Now I’m thinking like it’s 15 or a little more. It’s within reach. It’s within our lifetime. It’s going to happen.”

(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.wired.com
www.sci-tech-today.com

I'm not as excited as everyone else. All this means is SUPER small "transistors". Meaning, the potential for a lot of computing power in a small package. But how big is the container for the quantum processor to ensure there is no interference? Think cray supercomputer.. calculator filling up a gymnasium.

It's exciting to think that computers are increasing in speed, less power and smaller.. but we are already seeing this. By the time quantum computers become commonplace advances in existing technology will also be sufficiently advanced to make that "quantum" leap not so amazing.

You know.. essentially what this guy is saying is "WOW! technology is going to be soooo advanced in 15 to 20 years". Yeah.

Remember cellphones in 1995? What about your 486 with math co-processor.. Now look at your smartphone.. Technology advances a lot in 15 years. This is another path to advancement. But if it wasn't quantum computing it would be something else to get us there.

I think the interest in quantum computers is purposefully sensationalized, playing on people's "magical" ideas of quantum mechanics.. People have visions of magically controlling their processor.. Of somehow a quantum computer comes to life in some magical way all on it's own. All we are talking about is size. There are no magic powers. We still have to program them.

It boils down to is SIZE.

It's cool.. but quantum computing doesn't mean time travel or teleportation unless someone figures out how to make that happen.. And maybe these proofs will be calculated on a quantum computer faster than a traditional computer...

Quantum computers exist right now.. www.dwavesys.com...

they just suck more than regular computers because they are big..

Your are right about a lot of that. And i wouldn't imagine the full potential of quantum computing being utilized in our lifetimes or anywhere near that. HOWEVER, perhaps not in computing, but in the quantum world, there is so much potential to tap into that i doubt we will ever even scratch the surface anytime soon as far as the magical capabilities go. But they do exist, and i believe there ARE ways to do these "magical" things. We probably just won't have anyone smart and creative enough to really figure them out for awhile. Think about Tesla. He had a lot of good ideas that got dumped because of lack of funding, and because his competitor had the more desirable product already ready to install in peoples homes so people went with his stuff, and forgot about him. But a lot of his ideas still haven't even been fully developed or utilized today, and they had much better potential than Edison's stuff, but it simply didn't work out because he was way before his time and nobody really truly recognized his ideas for what they were worth. Ask any quantum physicist if it is hypothetically possible to travel extremely long distances because everything is connected. Ask them if it is possible that some things may only exist in one state when we think about it, or observe it. The double slit experiments are a classic example of this.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 08:08 PM
link   
Well.... its not really any new news to be honest with you....

there is already a quantum computer available for sale on the market... the price tag is huge and it won't simply run windows or mac operating systems.

The current quantum computers can process a single equation as super fast speeds.

Great for processing information in batches where millions of records need the same equation applying to them.

I think this guy is referencing a home quantum personal computer running a wysiwyg OS.

I can see it happening in the next 10 to 15 years or perhaps sooner even.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 08:12 PM
link   
reply to post by XLR8R

nah.. 30-40 years old ? nah...

Intel did have p4's ready to go when the p1 and p2's were being released but the architecture for the mother boards for personal computers was not... hence the holding back of the p4 chip by a couple of years while it was getting military usage. i think that one is a bit of a far fetched conspiracy to be honest.

whilst there may be a super chip developed... making a mother boards architecture work with the chip to its best advantage is always part 2. Now with quantum chips we need to seriously look into how it will mesh with the rest of the tech to incorporate it into a personal computer.

posted on Feb, 29 2012 @ 10:50 PM
link   
I think quantum computing is already here. They're just waiting to introduce it as cloud computing gets more popular. So nobody will own a quantum computer like you do a computer today. Everything will be controlled through the quantum cloud. They probably see quantum computers as too dangerous to be in the hands of citizens.

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 01:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Crimsontopaz
IF and when quantum computing at home becomes a norm, I believe people will start to figure out how to tap into things like entanglement and Bose-Einstein condensates for traveling through space and time, or any other number of ideas that seem far out now, but once the world of quantum mechanics becomes integrated into our society, our technology capabilities will start to increase even more exponentially than it is now. I just watched the documentary What the Bleep Do We Know, and its really informative on the magical world of quantum mechanics, and the power of thought. Eventually at some point, I KNOW we will have computers that can be controlled by our thoughts, and that would unlock some serious unlimited potential. Probably not in our lifetimes, but the question is, will we be mature enough as a human race to be able to handle these advanced technologies with responsibility? As we can see today, our spiritual evolution is far behind our technological evolution.

The only reason our spiritual evolution is far behind our technological evolution, which is still behind, is thanks to our governments greed for $ and power combined with the churches dogmatic ways. We really should be a level 1 civilization by now but between greedy governments & churches we are still kept behind in the evolution of pretty much everything.
I would love to see all the secret technology the govs are working and keeping hidden.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join