It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Scientist Who Discovered Hepatitis C Says He’s Now Discovered the Vaccine

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 05:35 PM
link   

In a poetic turn of virology, the scientist who discovered hepatitis C in 1989 has now also discovered a vaccine that will hopefully cure the now-incurable disease. Not only is it poetic, it's an accomplishment that many thought was impossible. Because hepatitis C is more virulent than HIV, no one was confident a vaccine against all the various strains around the world could be developed. But Michael Houghton, the University of Alberta researcher who announced his work today at the Canada Excellence Rese

Just read earlier today that Hepatitis C is now more of an issue than AIDS. I was wondering if we would hear about a cure or vaccine. From my understanding there is medication but it runs over a thousand dollars a week. On the plus side it appears it usually works in about 6 months. Too bad we will have to wait so long for the FDA approval. Apparently there are a TON of people that have Hep C and don't even know it. The symptoms are rather common, joint pain, fatigue etc.

Link

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 05:43 PM
link   
Oh good, more vaccines.
You read that Hep C is more of a problem than AIDS? I didn't need to read that one, I know several people who have Hep C, and not all of them were drug users.

Hep C is way more of a problem than is being reported in the USA.
I guarantee that everyone who knows at least 10 people knows someone with a variation of Hep, cancer, diabetes, or some other auto immune deficiency disease. Totally normal of course, so let's put all our resources and funding into fighting terrorists!

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 05:49 PM
link   
reply to post by JibbyJedi

You read that Hep C is more of a problem than AIDS? I didn't need to read that one, I know several people who have Hep C, and not all of them were drug users.

Well I was a bit surprised. I wasn't aware it was so prevalent.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 05:59 PM
link   
It is great news, thanks for posting the information, there are different types of hepatitis C, 1 2 & 3, certain varieties being more dangerous than others. The article stated it was incurable, that is not actually true, it can be cured, it is just difficult. In some rare cases the body can cure its self to, but it is rare. I know such a girl, she has the antibodies, but not the virus, so she must of contracted it and cured herself.

Good news

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 06:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

Yeah it is, it's all ages too. I know way too many people my age and younger with something severely wrong with them, some of them have to keep going back to their respected physicians for further study because some of the doctors are stumped. Their medical costs for care and treatment are devastating them and their families, it's definitely worth at least "making it onto the news"... but then again, everyone will get a turn eventually if this ignorance continues.

I don't agree with vaccines, though I haven't really heard anything negative about tetanus, the risks aren't worth it to me. I'll go Naturopathy until the cancers eat me alive before I do chemo and radiation.

edit on 21-2-2012 by JibbyJedi because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 06:22 PM
link   
I wonder how Big Pharma will react to this?

posted on Mar, 1 2012 @ 01:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

Well Nobel price winner david baltimore (who discovered Retrotranscibtase which is a vital part of HIV) is also testing (right now) a vaccine for HIV.

Its a DNA vaccine that uses an adenovirus vector (harmless human virus) to deliver a Plasmidlike artificial chromosome into muscle tissue that expresses a working antibody against hiv (an antibody HIV cant just outmutate) When it comes out it will be able to protect from infection (but not cure it unfortunatly).

I guess scientists who discover a certain pathogene in humans are more experienced and dedicated to find a cure then others.

edit on 1-3-2012 by Inesophet because: grammar

top topics

join