It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I am Joining the US Army..

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 03:09 PM
link   
finally made up my mind...
taking all my documents in tomorrow and ill be at MEPS by march 2nd

any tips for me guys?
anyone want to troll me for joining?
please do so that way i can hear different perspectives on this topic

ive been lagging it and not wanting to join the military for 2 years..
i am 18 and college is so over crowded its freaking redicoulous
and half the idiots drop out in the first two weeks after the drop period so i cant even get into any classes WTF!
so yeah imma go to the army..
learn how to survive for SHTF and how to protect my family..
and the rest of you

havent decided if i want to just go infantry like fuggit but i got a 64 on the ASVAB so i figure id be better off doing something that requires some brain power.
not that being a troop doesnt require that but i dont really want to kill any muzzies..

does anyone know any cool Army jobs that i should go for? :]

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 03:13 PM
link   
I don't want to 'troll' you but I'd think long and hard about this. The rate of suicide among active duty military is off-the-chart. Why do you think that is? This is absolutley the worst possible time to enlist. Look at the overwhelming support active military has for Ron Paul. Why? Cause he wants the wars --- all of them --- ended. The S is most assuredly about to HTF. You don't want to be in the middle of it when it does. If I were you --- or if you were my kid --- I'd want you to seriously reconsider this move. It's not going to turn out the way you think it will.

But in any case good luck. I'm feeling you're going to need a great deal of that.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Best advice? Mouth closed, ears open.

Best jobs? Talk to the recruiter and ask him. Go to some other webforums (not here) and ask active duty Soldiers about what goes on. They'll give you the straight skinny.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 03:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Lawlz0rz

Originally posted by Lawlz0rz

does anyone know any cool Army jobs that i should go for? :]

If your going in for financial support then research some type of technical field, you dont have to go in to eliminate. If you are though just try to keep in mind KARMA and others have families too.

@ muzzies remember they are part of the species as you.

NAMASTE*******

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 03:15 PM
link   

havent decided if i want to just go infantry like fuggit but i got a 64 on the ASVAB so i figure id be better off doing something that requires some brain power.

Wait...have you taken your GT (Grand Total) test yet..? This score will determine what MOS's (military occupational specialty) you will be offered. Don't take your oath at the MEPs station until you know what your score is and what MOS's will be offered...

And have you considered other branches of the military..? The AF has got it made dude, and you can learn a trade/skill set in there as well.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 03:16 PM
link   
GOOD FOR YOU! Congratulations and thank you for your service.

If you want 'brain stuff' .. try going to language school. Last I heard it's in California.
That way, when you are done, you'll probably not only have earned a college degree
along the way, but you'll have the marketable skill of a second language.

Pick an MOS that will give you something for when you are out .. and that will
allow you school time. Infantry won't do that.

I served five years .. at Fort Hood and at Camp Zama.
My MOS was Chaplain Assistant. Office work mostly.
It gave me time to go to college evenings and earn my degree.
(in psychology).
I think my ASVAB was 105. But I don't know how they score it today.
I qualified for USMAPS ... but didn't go. I didn't want to sign over 10
years of my life (5 for school and then 5 'pay back' full time active).

Anyways ... good luck ... and congratulations.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Congrats, OP. You just sold your freedom for a fat paycheck.

Just remember, out there in Iraq and Iran: You come second if you're lucky, third or even fourth if you're not. Obama and every other president cares about securing their investments first, everything else later.

If you're #ed, you better have some Aspercreme on hand, because the people who are so eager pushing you in, aren't nearly as enthusiastic pulling you back out. The military milks its dogs, trying to get every last shred of blind, obedient servitude it can.

And now you're one of them.

......Just thought I'd mention it. Good luck getting reprogrammed!
I hear they have to train you to act like a human being once you're back out of the service...
edit on CTuesdaypm393919f19America/Chicago21 by Starchild23 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Doing your duty is something that should always be taken seriously. And in the current climate, I think it's very brave of you to decide to join up. However, as long as you're going in to it with your eyes open and in the knowledge that you will be sent to war and you accept that, then you're braver than most.

Good luck to you my friend and I hope that service does for you what it did for me.

Rev

link   

anyone want to troll me for joining?

Yes, thank you for the opportunity.

Where to begin...

I suggest giving these videos a few minutes of your time and attention, it may mean the difference between someone's life or their death, including your own.

You can find more in the related videos section of these videos on Youtube.

And for the record, I come from a family line who served, and I stopped that fractal trend with me. Education is empowering, doing the bidding of the military industrial complex is not.

edit on 21-2-2012 by JibbyJedi because: (no reason given)

link   

First off

DON'T DO IT!

But, since I know you won't heed those wise words of wisdom I recommend that you go into the corps of engeneers and learn a building trade. Don't do like I did and go in to be an M1 Abrams tank driver. THAT MOS didn't give me job one once I got out.

Think about what you want to be AFTER you finish your term in the service and find an MOS that will move you in that direction.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Congratulations brother!

Seems its becoming a trend huh?
My thread

MEPS can be a handful to say the least. I was there 3 times before I finally signed my contract. But I did am am glad that I did. Dont expect a quick ship out date, I swore in back in Jan but dont ship out until June.

I'll be headed to Ft LW for BCT then Ft Sam fr AIT 68W school.

Any specific questions man I'll be more than happy to answer you to the best of my ability.

Another ATS member ProjectVXN is currently in BCT as well.

Once again Congrats man!

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 03:29 PM
link   
I don't want to use you as an example... but I will

This goes back to what I said in another thread... this is the REAL reason why people join the military (college was full, nothing else to do and I want phat lewt) and not some moral "defender of freedom and liberty" doctrine that some spout to feel superior.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 03:31 PM
link   
If you're going to go, go all in. Choose a combat MOS or one that will put you into a combat MOS unit. Infantry, Cavalry, Medic, etc... You can always reclass later on and grab an MOS with good civilian sector skills if you want.

Don't mind the "I killed innocents" propaganda, as a trained soldier you will know how to prevent collateral damage and how to use escalation of force to prevent such negligent actions. Try to get an enlistment bonus if you can, I'm not certain but if joining active I think there may not be any enlistment bonuses for most occupations at the moment, but certainly look into that, you will appreciate it once you complete Basic and get to your first unit.

Finally... While in basic training, make every step you take a methodical one. I've seen a few soldiers get injured in basic and some of them had to heal up and start all over again, and in some cases get medical discharged without ever having completed basic.

Good luck!

Oh, and to add, you must be comfortable with knowing all of the wars we have been involved with since WWII have not been just wars, and have not been a fight for freedom. If you can handle that truth while keeping your mouth shut about it while enlisted, and at the same time still serve/deploy, that will help you greatly.
edit on 21-2-2012 by Sek82 because: ETA

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Wow guys.. thanks alot really..

yeah i know stuff is about to pop off in Iran and Stuff..
No i havent taken my GT test yet, but i surely will not take my oath until i know my score and have reviewed
my MOS

it is taking alot of bravery and i know there is a big chance that i will get thrown into the heat of battle but if its for the greater good of helping my country survive then so be it..

the recruiter even said this "You know if you go Active Duty you can be stationed anywhere in the world right?" he had a messed up look on his face but whatever dude..

i know this will get my the Experience and training i need to hold an obtain a decent paying civilian job plus it would make my family proud.

im thinking of becoming an Engineer, but i also like robotics. idk ill see what happens when i go to meps and hopefully pass the drug test >.> lol

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 03:34 PM
link   
As a veteran who served for 6 years, let me say this. I would not serve in the military under the current regime. I was lucky enough to serve under Reagan and 1 year under Bush 1. Really think about your decision. If you have no other options, choose the navy or air force instead of the army. Pick up a good trade before you join. That will make a huge difference when you get out. Electricians make great money, as do mechanics. They are good skills. I do both plus HVAC and have never gone hungry, never been unable to pay my bills, and now work for myself. I was an electrician's mate in the navy. I learned both electrical and mechanical skills that have served me well for over 20 years.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Chess can be a great game, but volunteering to be a pawn isn't something to be proud of.

What i'm saying is, look at the bigger picture. Don't fight a war that has no purpose, you will regret it.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 03:36 PM
link   

I would just beg you to remember your human brotherhood and the Geneva Conventions, and refuse to follow unlawful and invalid orders as applies given any deployments you find yourself on.

Do not get sucked in and be "just following orders" that lead to an overpowering and unbearable weight on your soul and blood on your hands for no good and true purpose. Truly be one that we here at home can be proud of, and remember your oaths - not just your orders.

Stay safe out there, and go with god.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 03:38 PM
link   
First let me say congrats for having a brain and scoring well. Be smart, stay silent and do more than you are asked to do. With any luck you will find a place in the machine that does not require you to risk death or dismemberment.

Now on to what upsets me. The reasons you gave for joining. It pisses me off to no end that TPTB have engineered our society to offer little other hope for ones future than the military. Droves of young people are being driven into the military because there are little other opportunities available to middle and lower income young adults. It sucks and it is exploitation at it's worst.

That being said, in hindsight at 46 years old I wish that I had given four years of service to my country. The benefits after service are not insignificant if you are smart enough to become something other than a door gunner.

I wish you the best of luck with your future, please be smart and keep your head down and never forget that your allegiance should belong to doing what is right and honorable above all else.

Good luck!.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 03:41 PM
link   
I know how it's hard to get cheap education and all....

Seriously, going in the army is like joining the problem. The USA army are the worst terrorists in the world controlled by elites, to help those elites get even more power. More money will not make you happy especially if you know it comes from the biggest, most cruel terrorists in the world. Even if you don't kill no one during your service, you are still assisting people that do, so you will be a murderer of the innocent.

If you we're my son, I would be prouder if you because a gas station clerk then joining the world's number one cold killers, destroyers of freedom and elite pawns.

Save your soul, you will find happiness no matter how much money you make.
edit on 21-2-2012 by User8911 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 03:41 PM
link   
I want to say don't do it because I would fear the consequeces, but I suppose you'll go anyway. I'm sure you realize how many men and women have lost limbs and life. One of my brothers lost his best friend in war. All I can say is that I wish you the best of luck and hope you come back home safely.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join