It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lab grown meat is comming!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 09:24 PM
link   
Hiya all,

For a long time I have known that eventually traditional animal farming would be a thing of the past, given the costs both economic and enviromental are huge for meat production, it will only be a matter of time before we have an alternative.

Lab grown meat....

BBC News: Grow your own meat

Mark Post has been given €300,000 to make a hamburger, in one year. Easy money, you might think, but try doing that without using meat that has come from an animal. Professor Post is one of the few people on the planet who can.

As head of the department of vascular physiology at Maastricht University in the Netherlands, he is in the vanguard of a new wave of research to create a way of producing meat that cuts out the need for animal husbandry altogether.

Some ideas, some technologies may sound like science fiction, but they are fast becoming science fact. Instead of getting meat from animals raised in pastures, he wants to grow steaks in lab conditions, directly from muscle stem cells. If successful, the technology will transform the way we produce food. "We want to turn meat production from a farming process to a factory process," said Mark Post.

I'm sure there will be a knee jerk reaction to this but like it or not this is the future,

Think of the good that this could do, No more huge swaves of land taken up by beef production, the greenhouse methane gas cut by 1/3...

Then there is the meat it's self.... Fancy a kobe beef style steak with all the taste and texture with zero calories, zero colesterol, but high in vitamin c and Polyphenols.

Or what about a chocolate flavored chicken breast?? The sky is the limit.

But of course the birth of a new industry so encompasing as our food needs to be regulated and there is much room for conspiracy there I am sure.

On the whole though I think the future of factory produced meat is a positive one!!

Interesting times ahead!!

Korg.

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 09:37 PM
link   
I would become a vegetarian before I eat any kind of genetically engineered lab meat.........bring on the wilted lettuce if need be but nothing could make me want to eat that crap

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 09:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by iLoGiCViZiOnS
I would become a vegetarian before I eat any kind of genetically engineered lab meat.........bring on the wilted lettuce if need be but nothing could make me want to eat that crap

Well there is that knee jerk reaction i was talking about...

If you were from the the uk you would be in the minority, at least of gardian readers....
Gardian: would you eat lab grown meat? Poll...

Currently at 69.3% would...

All the best,

Korg.

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 10:01 PM
link   
Sure and you can pay more
for your Kobi Dukee Steak

Japanese Make Meat from human Dukee

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 10:02 PM
link   
It is my hope this technology grows the amount of suffering perpetrated by the meat industries practices would become a unnecessary thing of the past. In that future scenario future generations will see the practices of current day meat industry as the dark ages and the people who perpetrated it as savages.

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 10:07 PM
link   
Reminds me of the infamous '# Burger'..*Wretch*

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 10:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shirak
It is my hope this technology grows the amount of suffering perpetrated by the meat industries practices would become a unnecessary thing of the past. In that future scenario future generations will see the practices of current day meat industry as the dark ages and the people who perpetrated it as savages.

I whole heartidly agree

The amount of suffering that goes into meat production is nothing less than hellish....

I eat meat but dn't like to think where it came from... When I was in asia the local population culled two pigs, yes it was not nice to see them strung up and killed, but at least they lived a free life.

The animals in the industrial meat production live the lves of objects with little to none regard for their comfort or feelings.

A steak brown in the lab can't suffer... Another major bennefit to this technology!

Korg.

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 10:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by spoonbender
Sure and you can pay more
for your Kobi Dukee Steak

Japanese Make Meat from human Dukee

Yuck!! But can see the raw material is just protein so the end result is not so yuckie...

But the technology to lab grown steak is that it is actually the dna of a muscle replicating through the use ofnstem cells to grow a real steak, not some protein solid made to resemble meat.

Korg.

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 10:36 PM
link   
This makes me glad I became a vegetarian 6 months ago....and also the high price of meat...

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 10:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lynzer
This makes me glad I became a vegetarian 6 months ago....and also the high price of meat...

O.k. Let me ask you your reasoning for becomming a vegitarian?

Korg

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 05:46 AM
link   
I saw this on the ABC earlier today, and thought badly of it at first, but then realised that ultimately, there is nothing wrong with it. Currently the cost is prohibitive to the point it's still an experiment, but in time that will change.

As it is, people are buying choice cuts of meat that are in fact bits of meat GLUED together with a glue made from the proteins in blood (blood glue) and this is legal and not advertised.

As it is, people are buying meat products produced by the mass inhumane treatment of living, breathing creatures.

As it is, some people will only eat meat if it has mood or clucked or baad.

The only issue I'd have with lab produced meat is the texture. The meat we eat today is rated largely on how lean or how fatty it is. Kobe beef is very fatty from what the animals are fed. The amount of exercise/labour the animal experiences up until slaughter also plays a huge part in this.

Lab meat will have had none of this.

Hehe I noted also that they are producing fat to add to the meat via the same process.

I'd be very interested to try it. Given that 99% of the meat we ingest today is made from hormone treated feed so that the bigger and fatter and bulkier the animal, the more bang for buck.

No need for that with a steak grown without the hindrance of having to support the animal it comes from. Too big and it basically cannot support itself and expires...

And all the more cows for them aliens to abduct !!

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 05:54 AM
link   
I guess we may have to go back to that
age old question:

Where's the Beef ???

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 05:57 AM
link   
a down side to this:

Just how many farmers will go
out of business when there meat
is no longer required ???

I know for sure the price of the meat
will not go down at the counter.

stealing from the lil man and
giving to the big man

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 09:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Detour
a down side to this:

Just how many farmers will go
out of business when there meat
is no longer required ???

I know for sure the price of the meat
will not go down at the counter.

stealing from the lil man and
giving to the big man

Maybe its time to move away from traditional farming.... A big bold move but some times progress requires us to put down some things that perhaps you never thought you could do without.

Korg.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 09:56 AM
link   
I saw this on the BBC news, and my instantaneous reaction, without knowing its current price tag, was "wow, this will be great for all the hungry people in the world!!" However, since these things would cost a couple of hundred thousand per quater pound, I am confused.
Meat, and listen carefully here, will NEVER reach that price, nor any price nearly as prohibitive. In a world which makes pricing of meat THAT unafordable, a world wide revolution of the poor against the rich will inevitably occur, and they will be smashed, and thier racketeering ceased. During such a time, livestock animals will likely as not wander free from farms untended, thier owners busy seeking glory under a patina of gore and shreded city suits.

They will breed unchecked, and everyone will have meat, and due to the lack of regulation of this process, it will be wild, and probably more rich in protein than the horse crap we get fed these days, that up until last decade was being fed its reconstituted cousins in pellet form.
As for this lab grown meat, there is no way, no way in hell, that you can make something that costs THAT much , cheap enough to replace genuine meat in our lifetimes. No way at all. Its just not practical or possible.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 10:06 AM
link   
I love this! Star Trek world is coming real, while, the robber barons of commerce and industry, become ancient history. The mass animal cruelty factory farm CEOs, and the big-money PTB.

Computer! One large cheese pizza, made by Sicilian imigrants to New York City, who'd been strictly making their food the same ways, since the old country days.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 10:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Korg Trinity

Now this could be a very good idea IMO-but there is a big "if"-
The lab meat would have to be grown using natural organic nutrients and enzymes-no synthetic crap.
But I doubt all meat eaters would go for it.

Science has shown us many times that animals feel pain,stress,fear just like we do-any alternative to the suffering they go through in factory farms is good in my book-as long as the product is healthy for humans to eat-And lets face it,a lot of meat products are far from safe.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 10:18 AM
link   
The question here is not the viability of a change to the industry, it is the question of control and stratification. If anyone believes that with our current corporate ruled planet that putting the production of meat into the hands of bio grow ops is anything but a recipe for disaster, then you are deluding yourself. We have Monsanto driving the genetically modified plant based food industry and now we are going to have another company driving the genetically modified lab grown meat industry. People, look at what is happening now with our food supply. Why, just recently, the new Aspartame product, Neotame has been approved in over 50 countries (including the U.S.) to go to market, and get this.... without label indentification on consumer products! You won't be entitled to the knowledge that you are consuming it!

NutraSweet Article

They put things in the food chain that are not healthy for us. They being the corporate dogs that will do anything for money and manipulation.

In a perfect world, this would be an amazing and very altruistic method of feeding people. When it will be controlled by mass corporate interest we will suffer.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 10:25 AM
link   
What a waste of biotercvhnology. If they could grow steaks in a lab, they could use the same technology to grow replacement limbs and organs made to order.

posted on Feb, 21 2012 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by eywadevotee
What a waste of biotercvhnology. If they could grow steaks in a lab, they could use the same technology to grow replacement limbs and organs made to order.

An excellent point!

The same technology, different application, and is definatly the future.

Deserving of its own thread....

Korg.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join