It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Looking for smoothie ingredient ratios

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 10:18 PM
link   
Hi all ! I have been trying to eat properly and have been reading about super foods . I have been making smoothies with chia seeds, ground flaxseed , maca root powder, quinoa, frozen blueberries, yogurt , milk , molasses, honey. It doesn't taste all that great ! What I'm wondering is how much of each ingredient is enough for an adult male in his forties , for a healthy smoothie ?

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 10:30 PM
link   
Fruit. Needs more fruit.
Try experimenting! Everyones taste is different. But me and my girl use frozen fruit in our smoothies, and some fresh fruit if you have it. Some yogurt in it as well (i like to use vanilla), As for the amounts..welll.. Until it tastes good

You can never have too much fruit
I made mango smoothies ones o.o, it was awesome. pineapple is bomb too!

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 10:31 PM
link   
I think you're talking about juicing. I mix similar ingredients together, but I don't call them smoothies. I believe a smoothie involves ice. Anyways....

If you want to juice fruits, try juicing strawberries with blueberries and pineapple. Tastes pretty good!

If you want to juice vegetables, I'd start with a spinach base, followed by tomatoes or cucumbers for bulk, and add any two of radishes, carrots, beets, or turnips.

You can substitute broccoli, kale, mustard greens for spinach, but you're going to have to use a lot more per weight to get the same juice yield spinach outputs. I just stick to spinach because it's cheaper, but still very good for you.

I never mix fruit and vegetables.
edit on 19-2-2012 by satron because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 10:38 PM
link   
Hey OP,

I'm new to world of smoothies too as i got a new blender for christmas. I tell ya, I've been loving it. I have a breakfast smoothie every morning that consists of:

-half glass of fruit juice (apple/orange/mango)
-topped up to two thirds of a glass with yogurt
-usually a banana
-anything else i wanna put in such as: seeds, nuts, oats, raw eggs (i know), other fruit/berries

Smoothies are usually based with fruit juice so half a glass should be perfect. The yogurt and banana thicken it up and diversify the goodness you're getting. Using frozen fruits a good idea as it almost gives the smoothie a slushie feel, which is ace for summer. Not sure how you'l figure out how much of the healthy things you'll need to put in, but I hope you figure it out and post a new thread.... "Super smoothie discovered - cures all disease!"

Have fun with your smoothies, I know I do

Peace

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 10:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Thundersmurf

Thanks for the great ideas ! I've been reading a lot about the benefits and high food and health value of chia seeds , flaxseed, maca root powder quinoa ,amongst others and trying to cram them in to one morning drink !it's been Lots of fun trying !!

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 11:05 PM
link   
as a base use almond milk or apple juice 10oz add (cut up and freeze fruit first) scoop of blueberries.strawberries,banana,pineapple.....blend and enjoy

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 11:11 PM
link   
reply to post by rick004

Haha, I know what you mean. I used to have a smoothie in the morning only, but since I've found a million other things I want to put in them I have one in the evening now too. I love finding one or two new things to put in them that totally change the flavour although I've found that the better something is for you, the more inedible it can taste

They're all awesome though

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 11:55 AM
link   
I just made a smoothie with coconut milk, mixed berries and whey protein. Pretty awesome.

posted on Feb, 23 2012 @ 09:03 PM
link   
reply to post by DevolutionEvolvd

That one sounds great !!! I'm trying to get away from taking vitamins so I've been making smoothies with as much good stuff as possible in the morning like maca powder , chia seeds , psyllium husk, flax seed , quinoa, berries , yogurt , molasses, coconut milk . I just have to figure out how much of each is enough without being overkill ?

top topics

join