It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TV Now Keeps Eye on Viewer (1960)

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 05:35 PM
link   
reply to post by 1825114

I would just put a piece of tape over the webcam until I wanted to chat.

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by geobro
reply to post by Cassius666

it was the new digi boxes that had the cameras not the tvs but they could be manipulated to view into a room

Same thing, how can they transmit images to the man? As far as I am aware your satellite dish receives, but does not transmit.

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 07:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by SmoKeyHaZe
My flatscreen Sony has sensors, which can detect movement..

So basically when nobody is watching, the TV is idle, so goes blank to save power..but will switch back on automatically when somone comes into the room.

This probably isn't the same as cameras built into TV's..but still, something I thought worth mentioning.

Really?......how the hell does that work?

I often lay on my sofa watching tv on my own, with no one else in the room, as I'm sure millions of people do around the world......and I don't move.......my tv doesn't turn off, and it's a Sony lcd flatscreen tv......less than 12 months old

I think you are mistaken.

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Argyll

Originally posted by SmoKeyHaZe
My flatscreen Sony has sensors, which can detect movement..

So basically when nobody is watching, the TV is idle, so goes blank to save power..but will switch back on automatically when somone comes into the room.

This probably isn't the same as cameras built into TV's..but still, something I thought worth mentioning.

Really?......how the hell does that work?

I often lay on my sofa watching tv on my own, with no one else in the room, as I'm sure millions of people do around the world......and I don't move.......my tv doesn't turn off, and it's a Sony lcd flatscreen tv......less than 12 months old

I think you are mistaken.

I have one also. Maybe it's an infrared sensor

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 08:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Corruptedstructure

My apologies!.....you are absolutely correct.

I just did a google search, and I was wrong........again I apologise.
edit on 19/2/2012 by Argyll because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 08:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by _Phoenix_

Tom "oh ****"

Detective "You weren't the murderer, but now your under arrest for adultry.......and you will be fined $200 for swearing" [color=gold](in the future adultry and swearing is illegal)

Tom "Oh **** my life"

Yes, adultery and swearing WILL be illegal in the future if we have a CONservative majority in office. They are OBSESSED with EVERYTHING that is going on in peoples bedrooms for some reason...

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 02:27 AM
link   
Is your TV watching you? Latest models raise concerns

Samsung’s 2012 top-of-the-line plasmas and LED HDTVs offer new features never before available within a television including a built-in, internally wired HD camera, twin microphones, face tracking and speech recognition. While these features give you unprecedented control over an HDTV, the devices themselves, more similar than ever to a personal computer, may allow hackers or even Samsung to see and hear you and your family, and collect extremely personal data.

While Web cameras and Internet connectivity are not new to HDTVs, their complete integration is, and it's the always connected camera and microphones, combined with the option of third-party apps (not to mention Samsung's own software) gives us cause for concern regarding the privacy of TV buyers and their friends and families.

Samsung has not released a privacy policy clarifying what data it is collecting and sharing with regard to the new TV sets. And while there is no current evidence of any particular security hole or untoward behavior by Samsung's app partners, Samsung has only stated that it "assumes no responsibility, and shall not be liable" in the event that a product or service is not "appropriate."

Samsung demoed these features to the press earlier this month. The camera and microphones are built into the top if the screen bezel in the 2012 8000-series plasmas and are permanently attached to the top of the 7500- and 8000ES-series LED TVs. A Samsung representative showed how, once set up and connected to the Internet, these models will automatically talk to the Samsung cloud and enable viewers to use new and exciting apps.

These Samsung TVs locate and make note of registered viewers via sophisticated face recognition software. This means if you tell the TV whose faces belong to which users in your family, it personalizes the experience to each recognized family member. If you have friends over, it could log these faces as well.

In addition, the TV listens and responds to specific voice commands. To use the feature, the microphone is active. What concerns us is the integration of both an active camera and microphone.

A Samsung representative said the company is working on apps that will allow its Smart TV owners to turn their televisions into a silent home-security system by allowing remote viewing on a smartphone or tablet via the TV’s built-in camera. This ability makes us ask, “Who else could gain access this video feed?”

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 12:31 PM
link   
I wonder what would happen if I shined a very, very, very, very bright light at this TV camera that is observing me or if I positioned a mirror in front of it while it is turned on or if I have a mirror reflect a very, very, very, very bright light at this TV camera. Or what happens if I have two identical TV cameras turned on and have them pointed directly at one another? LOL
edit on 20-3-2012 by VoteJillSteinKatSwift2012 because: I wanted to add more text.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Corruptedstructure

Ours goes off and on with a mind of its' own too. I tried a trick from the web of using foil taped over the little red light senser ... that did NOT work.

The computer sets it off as well.

The only thing that will not work ... the cat sits on a stack of boxes to watch TV and it won't come on for him.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join