It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sun has almost swapped poles two or three times this week, guess it's no big deal.

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 10:58 PM
link   
EDIT: "next off topic post gets you banned"- didnt see that, was just curious what they were all talking about

edit2: ANNND to add to the thead I find it quite strange that solar activity is apparently getting stronger, while our magnetic field, our shield, is weakening here on earth. I've always believed in natures ability to self regulate, if that is true, makes you wonder whats around the corner for our planet and solar system. Or these events have always happened, and they dont actually affect life on earth.
edit on 18-2-2012 by el1jah because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 11:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

From the same web site: mms.rice.edu... ( Explanation of that dial)
" Interplanetary Magnetic Field Polar Angle:
(Derived) This quantity is the angle between the IMF and the geomagnetic axis. When the IMF is southward, antiparallel fields near the magnetospheric subsolar point allow merging between the IMF and geomagnetic fields. This process increases the transport of solar wind mass, momentum, and energy into the Earth's magnetosphere. This process can also open the magnetosphere to solar energetic particle radiation. In severe conditions this radiation can threaten high altitude aircraft in high latitude and polar regions. Under less severe conditions this radiation can still threaten polar orbiting spacecraft. This quantity depends on IMF components measured by ACE/MAG. "

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 12:01 AM
link   
All I will say is I am sure we will see new things and learn new things from the sun and the earth. More this year yes but changes are occurring so what can you expect. I've seen what looks like tears on the sun but these could have been there in the past we just have newer satellites out there so we see almost everything. We can't freak out about everything because it's 2012 either people. Life is life just live and be happy and leave it at that. Leave a better world for your kids or your future or both. Peace(The sun left this planet here for a long time it will be here for a much longer time I'm pretty sure)

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 12:55 AM
link   
The IMF (interplanetary magnetic field) is not really related to the magnetic poles of the Sun. When plasma (the solar wind) leaves the Sun it carries with it a magnetic field. The orientation of this magnetic field can vary in three dimensions and depends on the conditions in the corona from where it originated. In particular, the Bz component of the the solar wind took a south turn a few days ago. The Bz component is the axis which aligns most closely with Earth's magnetic axis. Since a south orientation is the opposite orientation of Earth's magnetic field, the two fields (IMF and Earth's) can connect and this allows the charged particles of the solar wind to enter and collect in the magnetosphere.

It happened again a few hours ago, the solar wind took a south turn and once again there was an uptick in geomagnetic activity.

It is not an unusual occurrence. A south turn of the solar wind does not indicate the reversal of the Sun's magnetic poles.
edit on 2/19/2012 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 01:10 AM
link   
reply to post by donlashway

Ive noticed strange things with the sun, wont say I haven't but, I don't think I know whats going on either lol. Like when I made this reply here (www.abovetopsecret.com...). I know the sun flips poles every now and then, yes, but I am glad that people now are taking notice to their surroundings, especially their surroundings AROUND planet Earth, we had forgotten that for some time! and now its all coming back, even if some of us don't really understand the mechanics of it, the beauty is that we are at least trying and taking notice and that is something to celebrate. Our world is making progress again. So I think its honorable when someone notices something beyond the 9-5. I do agree our sun has been a bit cooky lately lol doing all kinds of strange things never before seen, well at least not recently, and I don't doubt for a minute that our sun has an important role to play regarding the shift of human consciousness...and no I don't know why just something I feel I guess....take it with a grain of salt!. Keep watching and looking up

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 02:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by donlashway
The reason for the outburst is still not completely clear. It started on Feb. 14th when a magnetic disturbance rippled around the north pole.

I have a 3D Sun app for my iPhone and I read this too. I thought it was a bit odd saying it was "not completely clear" what happened. Made me say "hmmmm."
These "Off Topic Posts" are outta control tonight!
edit on 19-2-2012 by klhbrown because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 03:52 AM
link   

"This always happens around the time of solar maximum," says David Hathaway, a solar physicist at the Marshall Space Flight Center. "The magnetic poles exchange places at the peak of the sunspot cycle. In fact, it's a good indication that Solar Max is really here."

posted on Feb, 19 2012 @ 10:28 PM
link   

why do all of the response to the video have those "warning" dead end ahead? I don't understand

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 10:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Blurps

When I first posted I was in a hurry and misspelled swapped as "swapted "; as well as two links without any info. This upset many, some couldn't understand and some came to my defense. The debate was considered off topic and not polite. It was all my fault and I tried to apologize, add image and more material. Later post I didn't get to see or respond to, but I guess it must have been more of the same. Again, I apologize for my haste and any grief it caused to any one; learning daily the etiquette and methods of posting here. And thanks to those that defended me, although I am not offended by anyone pointing out my ignorance or mistakes. Isn't that the purpose of this site.
To learn!
Deny ignorance or at least try.
edit on 20-2-2012 by donlashway because: deny ignorance

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 10:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Could you recommend a method for tracking the pole reversal that is said to occur. Don't remember any thing big related to the last one in 2001.
Thanks for sharing your knowledge and help, Phage!

posted on Feb, 20 2012 @ 06:06 PM
link   

If the Sun's Magnetic Field Flops..will Our's?

I believe the Sun will be our doom. A huge solar flare knocking out everything that runs on electricity is the most common and expected. But what if Earths magnetic poles are directly linked to the sun's?

Remember in school when a paper was placed over a bar magnet and iron filings were dusted over it. An umbrella formed at both the north and south poles of the magnet. The middle of the bar had no iron being the place the two poles meet. The earths magnetic field protects us from the Sun's microwaves. If our poles shift there will be an area of the earth exposed like the bar magnet. Microwaves will hit the earth frying anything it touches...unless you are underground. There is no way to tell how long and where an event like this will take place. There will be parts fried and untouched but which?

The fact that our magnetic field had a hole in it this month and shifted south without a solar flare is a result of the Sun's magnetic field influence on ours. Maybe this is the great secret governments are hiding and building so many bunkers for. To avoid getting fried like a cat in a microwave oven. We all know something is about to happen soon, maybe this is going to be a new beginning for us all.

A Voice in the Wilderness

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join