It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sun has almost swapped poles two or three times this week, guess it's no big deal.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Been watching Sun's magnetic pole swapping this week after a post in prediction forum; ( When a scientist say,"WTF=Where're the Flares?",do you think the Big One is coming?..Next Days.) suggesting great danger in low number of flares this week. ( IMF polar angle ) I use a few sites that provide current information, and this one from Rice university has lots of info, explanations and even book sales to learn more.
www.spacewx.com... FROM: spaceweather.com... "QUIET SUN: Considering the fact that Solar Maximum is only about one year away, the sun is experiencing some remarkable spells of quiet. One of them is underway right now. There have been no significant flares for more than five days, and the sun's X-ray output has flatlined:

What's going on? In fact, solar activity is on the rise. For instance, an X-class solar flare on Jan. 27th triggered the strongest solar radiation storm since 2005. Also, auroras have been sighted recently as far south as Virginia and Oklahoma. The quiet interregnums are a sign that the current solar cycle, while active, is not quite as strong as other solar cycles that preceded it--like a mild hurricane season in the Gulf of Mexico. According to this point of view, temporary spells of low activity are to be expected. On the other hand, some researchers believe the quiet holds greater significance; it could foreshadow a major drop in solar activity. This is controversial, however, because forecasting the 11-year solar cycle is still an infant science. Indeed, surprises may be in the offing. Stay tuned for updates." And from Feb17th, "AURORA WHIRLPOOL: On Feb. 14-15, Arctic skies erupted with an unexpected display of auroras that veteran observers said was among the best in months. At the height of the event, a US Defense Meteorological Program satellite photographed a whirlpool of Northern Lights over the Bering Sea:

"A number of images from the DMSP F18 satellite captured the dramatic auroral event of the last couple nights," says analyst Paul McCrone, who processed the data at the US Navy's Fleet Numerical Meteorology and Oceanography Center in Monterey, CA.

The reason for the outburst is still not completely clear. It started on Feb. 14th when a magnetic disturbance rippled around the north pole. No CME was obvious in local solar wind data at the time; the disturbance just happened. Once begun, the display was amplified by the actions of the interplanetary magnetic field (IMF). The IMF near Earth tipped south, opening a crack in our planet's magnetic defenses. Solar wind poured in and fueled the auroras. Geomagnetic storm alerts: text, voice."
Opened magnetic force field to get us some great auroras. Maybe more to come but cool for now.
mms.rice.edu...
Great site to monitor space weather and learn, or get explanations
edit on 18-2-2012 by donlashway because: sorry no good at posting external images
]
[/URL]
Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Maybe I should have hidden my post as a reply to this thread ( When a scientist say,"WTF=Where're the Flares?",do you think the Big One is coming?..Next Days.) ,and given a better explanation.

edit on 18-2-2012 by donlashway because: spelling

edit on 18-2-2012 by donlashway because: (no reason given)

edit on 18-2-2012 by donlashway because: tried to offer more information, hope it helps.

edit on 18-2-2012 by donlashway because: trying to help

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 04:10 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Maybe this happens all the time? We've only recently been able to observe the sun's poles, I don't know for how long but let's say 50 years to be generous. The sun has been burning for God knows how long, but science says it's around 4.5 billion years. What is 50 compared to 4.5 billion years?

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 04:15 PM
link   
reply to post by ssupp

Every 11 years, last 2000 or 2001 from what I've read.

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 04:16 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 04:19 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 04:19 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by woogleuk
reply to post by BrokenCircles

Not everybody has perfect English, not everyone has English as their first language. Spelling Nazis like you make me sick.

To the OP, the suns poles do switch quite often, they did last year, they will this year, it's nothing to be alarmed about.

Nothing to do with spelling. Had no idea what the OP meant
edit on 18-2-2012 by Audiokat because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 04:24 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 04:25 PM
link   
reply to post by BrokenCircles

sorry, wanted to get it posted before it changed again. Not up to standards, again sorry to cause you grief.
Was more concerned with posting image, I failed at that too.

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 04:25 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 04:27 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 04:29 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 04:32 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 04:33 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 04:33 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 04:35 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 04:38 PM
link   
What people need to realise is that not everybody is versed in the workings of the solar system, the earth, or anything at all really. Sometimes people see something they don't understand and it worries them, so they post a thread, and people like me, Phage, or others who know the ins and outs of the situation come along and put their mind at ease.

I enjoy helping those who don't know, especially if it eases the paranoia.

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 04:40 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 18 2012 @ 04:44 PM
link   

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join