It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should it be legal to kill pet cats roaming around the neighbourhood?

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 12:30 PM
link   
If some one shot my pet, well... lets just say me and the shooter would have a problem, I would take up with them personally.

So feel free to shoot your neighbors pets just be prepared for escalation.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 12:30 PM
link   
reply to post by TheCommentator

If we can't keep them properly and safely? This is the craziest thread I've seen in a long time on here. What is wrong with you people?

Why are you suddenly trying to change 'how to look after a cat'? They're roaming animals. They roam. Deal with it. If dogs were a little smarter then they too could be trusted on their own outside, but they're not.

I personally feel quite proud of my wee cat when brings something home; he always looks so happy with himself

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheCommentator
Here is my reasoning, especially in a nation like Australia.
It is ok for cat owners to let their cats go out and kill native animals so why is it wrong to kill a cat to prevent them killing native animals?

Isn’t it the same logic?

Its not like I want this to be the case tho, I would much rather cat owners take responsibility and lock up their cats so to not damage their environment and threaten the extinction of native animals.

There is no reason for cats to be wandering the streets, the argument that ‘they are wild and use to wander around before humans’ is bunk because so did dogs but we can’t let them out can we?

But if cat owners will not take responsibility why can I not use the same logic they do and stop their cat from killing other animals.

Just stumbled on your thread, and haven't read the rest of the replies yet, but here is my take on it.
It is not the cat's fault, a cat is a cat, and will always be. It is the owner's fault, so rather shoot the owner, who can't take care of their pets, who can't be bothered to have their cat's being sterilized, etc.....

If a owner cannot take the responsibility of owning a cat, maybe he should be deemed incompetent of owning any pet. In my mind it is the same as somebody owning a pet crocodile, and let the crocodile roam the neigbourhood. (or a lion, or a gorilla, or an anaconda, etc.) If you want to own a pet, YOU need to take the responsibility for YOUR pet. It is not your pet's fault if it does something that is in it's genes, but it is YOUR responsibility, because YOU CHOSE to have that pet.

Many times I have felt the same as you, but then, cats are so cute, you can't blame them for their nature....

now that that is off my chest, I'll breathe deeply and read the rest of the replies on your post.

and please people, have your cats sterilized ..... I know kittens are cute, and all that, but when I looked at some areas where I've been, and there were so many stray cats, then my heart goes out to all the birds trying to make a living.... and that is all because us, their owners just don't give a damn about sterilizing our pets ...

edit on 17/2/2012 by Hellhound604 because: (no reason given)

edit on 17/2/2012 by Hellhound604 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Cats:

1: My 12 cats are great hunters. If it wasn't for them I would have even more mice, voles and pack rats living in my walls then I do now.

2: Kill off of native animals? Not likely. Even with the birds they get, I have no shortage of birds, so I see no problem.
Teach your cat that if they are going to kill something they have to eat it. Yes you can. scold them enough verbally and they learn. You eat what you kill or don't kill at all...

3: Taking them "away" would they by chance live in montana? If they do I know where they are taking them "away' to. Tell them thank for allowing me to spend a summer taming 12 wild kittens, to find homes for them and getting torn up doing it to thin the population and trapping moms to stop the over run with kittens. If you cannot take care of a cat and deal with it's pregnancy without dumping them out here on our road then you do not deserve a cat.
If you want to keep your male cat, get him fixed/broken or you will lose him. I have seen them travel 10+ miles.

4: Can't be taught to walk on a leash? I had three that did just that when I was traveling and living in my van. Never leave a collar on them after the walk is over. Cats do get hung because of collars. Use a harness instead.

5: If we get feral dogs out here, thankful we don't but if we did, they would be treated like the wolves that kill our stock.
Cats help keep our stock healthy! Huge difference!

Dogs vs Cats and damage? sorry 2 dogs do more damage then 12 cats. My horse can do more then them 14 put together lol

6: My neighbor use to kill cats but only when the numbers grew unbelievably large. 50/60+ cats. I fixed that by thinning the population myself. With a little food, time and patience you can tame any feral cat. three foot is a prime example. I spent all winter in the hay barn working with him, now he is sleeping comfy on my couch and not freezing any more. And he has the best personality of all my cats, domestic and wild. Use live traps when the number is to high. Tame the kittens for homes, and get the adults fixed and turned back out.

I intercepted a female this winter. She dropped a litter last summer when she got dumped out here. I will be taking her in to be fixed/broked next week. She had 5 kittens. Now to old for me to try to tame unless they come up here looking for food, they require a different tactic when grown. Neighbor will trap them when it gets warmer and fix that problem before the numbers grow to big again.
STOP dumping your cats out here! If I find out who is doing it...I will not say.....T&C and all

7: The only sad thing about fixing/breaking feral cats is they do not live much longer after they are broke. No drive to survive. I fear breaking them into extinction. They are helpful in to many ways to count.

8: My few neighbors love my cats. with my 12 they do not have to get their own. My kids can cover the 4 houses out here and mine. They are all broken....

9: Cats CAN be trained to a certain extent! And come when called! Unless they are hunting... Then you just have to wait, food comes first. They try to bring food to my blind cat. Try is the key word here. They cannot bring them in the house, crunch crunch crunch, I can't handle that yuck

I can go on but you get the idea and I can almost guarantee the thread will die off since I posted. They always do

By the way there is a chain of command in the wild population. Do you think I like having a mountain lion killing the deer twins I had here last fall? Am I going to kill the mountain lion because it is killing my deer? Nope not gonna happen unless it comes in closer and tries to kill my pets, stock or myself. Nature has a way of taking care of things.

And I will only help if that mountain lion decided it wants my horse, cats or dogs.

Here is a vid of the Bear that comes in ever time we put meat in the freezer. mute it, I let the f bomb slip. It was just to cool seeing him down there. Friends vid channel she finally zooms about half way through. Yup that is a Grizzly. They can stay until he tries to tear the neighbors shed up again, then they are "caged" and taken deeper into the woods. Horse tried to stop us from going down to look.

www.youtube.com...

Sorry for killing the thread
But cats are not the problem, people are! I will stop when I have enough posts to do private messages.
edit on 17-2-2012 by amethystmoon because: (no reason given)

Funny? Good? bad? I know I am stupid

edit on 17-2-2012 by amethystmoon because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 01:23 PM
link   
reply to post by amethystmoon

Funniest post so far.

I did have something to say but can't remember now so I'm just going to agree with Hellhound and be done with it.

Adieu.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Cats kill vermin such as rats, mice, and squirrels if they werent roaming around then the rat and mice population would explode then the snake population would explode. Cats also kill snakes too. Dogs have killed adults and children, and motorcyclists thats why they can't run loose willy nilly all over the place.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Darkchemistry
.. Cats also kill snakes too....

THAT is one problem I have with cats!!!!! I love snakes. I have never forgiven one of the cats I had after she killed the nicest little herald snake I've ever seen ....... she tried making up for it by leaving lunch for me in my briefcase, lol .... a huge rat, I guess she thought I needed a peace-gift,.. but that is another story, lol

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Cats are predators. Always have been. Very good ones at that. They also take their lumps. I don't know how many times one of mine showed up after getting into it with a coon. And some don't show up at all. Fluffy was a GREAT hunter. Saw him take a bird right out of the air from a pine tree. He went out one day and didn't come back. That's life in the animal kingdom.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Hellhound604

Well, snakes kill people too and young children that don't know any better, She was just saying to you I killed what that snake didn't and I am keeping everyone safe around here.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Darkchemistry
reply to post by Hellhound604

Well, snakes kill people too and young children that don't know any better, She was just saying to you I killed what that snake didn't and I am keeping everyone safe around here.

true, but less than 1% of all snakes are venomous to humans....

(I know what you are saying, whilst living in Africa, I had cats, and I loved them..... but I got so infuriated if they brought a little mouse from outside the house into the house, or killed snakes or birds....)

I don't hate cats, I love them, but I do think that owners should take more responsibility to their cats, instead of saying "It is in their nature", and let them roam around unsterilized, making more stray cats, that have to fend for themselves by taking out the "easy" natural wildlife that never evolved with predators like cats around.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by TsukiLunar
You people are a bunch of idiots. Tell me how in the hell you are supposed to keep a cat confined? Cats arent dogs, they dont take commands.

Yea I agree, around my house there is at least 4-5 that I see on a regular basis.. They don't cause any trouble though. Try getting sleep at night when your cat is at the door screaming and scratching to get out. You cannot confine them like you would a dog. But this isn't Australia so we really don't have special "native" species, in the city anyway. I knew a guy who would just take his pump pellet rifle and pump it just 1-3 times to give it a good sting in the butt but not kill it. So I dunno. Call around and find out your laws I guess.

U

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by fiftyfifty

True.... but you can't vaccinate a cat to prevent it from being killed by a dog or a car. I think it would be wrong to keep a cat inside if they had no outlet for their energy. My cats were raised indoors and they play all day and explore ( I have tunnels and carpeted ramps, places to hide and ambush each other) etc
I do agree though, that one shouldn't have a cat if they cannot provide enough stimulation for them. I can leave my door open, and they don't even attempt to go out, so I guess they are happy. But again, they were indoor cats from the time they were kittens.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 03:06 PM
link   
what are these oh so precious "defenceles" (lol) local species these cats are killing?

and what you are suggesting, is no different than a cat killing "defenceles" animals.

if this were about dogs i'm sure none of you would care. i think it's funny how humans think they are the superior species on earth. maybe the most technologically advanced, but look at the damage we cause vs the rest of the animal kingdom.

humans = most vile disgusting creatures on earth (case in point, your first answer being to just kill anything that is inconvenient). and no i'm not some crazy PETA animal activist, i just call it like it is
edit on 17-2-2012 by Hardstepah because: correction

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by TsukiLunar
You people are a bunch of idiots. Tell me how in the hell you are supposed to keep a cat confined? Cats arent dogs, they dont take commands.

Not to mention the "native" animals they kill around here are rats, mice, lizards and small bugs... Who gives a crap...

Besides if a cat gets out it's much more difficult to find them and you have to wait for them to come back. How would your daughter feel if it was her cat that got out and your neighbor shot it. Do you really want to have to explain that to your kid? I sure don't.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 03:15 PM
link   
reply to post by TheCommentator

It shouldn't be illegal. Immoral, yes. Illegal, no.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 03:15 PM
link   
Shooting any domestic animal is cruel. If you are having an issue make an old fashion sling shot out of a old hanger and rubber bands to scare them off. It's loads of fun and no animals get hurt.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 03:31 PM
link   
reply to post by SmArTbEaTz

I'm an owner of two cats

I don't think it should be allowed to go around killing them, but I also think they should have the same rules as dogs when it comes to being outside

To those that said they wont "cage" their cats, you're idiots...a small cat walking around an apartment isn't "caging" them...that is stupid

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by xNightwing
I don't think it should be allowed to go around killing them, but I also think they should have the same rules as dogs when it comes to being outside

Well, around here, the rules are fences for dogs outside. I don't think that's gonna do much for cats.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 04:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Iamonlyhuman

There are only 2 types of the people in the world. The one type hates cats with everything they have, and the other type love cats with everything they have..... Cats are unique and very special, you don't choose a cat, THEY CHOOSE YOU. Killing is in their blood, we as cat-lovers must understand that, and take responsibility for THOSE THAT CHOSE US. I think cats are like the nordic gods of old, wild, uncontrolled, but we, their chosen ones have a responsibility towards THEM too, and towards nature.

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 04:55 PM
link   
reply to post by TsukiLunar

Wow, just because I said I didn't like cats, the cat lover crowd come out of the wood work. I never owned a cat, or never really took notice that you can't keep a cat on a leash. That doesn't excuse you to let your pet roam around the neighborhood and do its business on neighbors lawns, attack other wild life and sometimes cause drivers to swerve from hitting them.

Personally, the reason why I hate cats so much is because my 6 yr old golden retriever was killed by a car because of a cat that was left loose. My retriever was in our garage and when I opened the garage door to take out the trash, my retriever caught site of a cat and chased it across the street. Unfortunately, my dog that has always been leashed and in a fenced in yard, had the misfortune to get a glimpse of this cat and dart from the confides of my garage. Try explaining the death of a pet to a 3 year-old that played with that dog everyday. If that cat was confined to my neighbors home the incident would never have happened.

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join