It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should it be legal to kill pet cats roaming around the neighbourhood?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 09:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by InsideYourMind

Originally posted by TheCommentator
You put them in a cage or bring them in your house at night, it’s pretty simple.
Native species shouldn’t suffer because of a cat owner’s incompetence.

How about i put you in a cage? Let's see how you like that.

PS; reading through the rest of the posts. This is the most stupid thread i have yet to see on this site, and the responses are just sick.
edit on 16/2/2012 by InsideYourMind because: (no reason given)
Yes but I dont go around killing things.
Once again, is it ok then if I let my dogs roam around free and they kill your pet cat?

This isnt stupid this is about the preservation of native species
It is sick that you are happy for your cats to kill defencless animals

link   
reply to post by TheCommentator

If you cant keep them properly and safely then you shouldnt be keeping them at all. Your cat is not more important then the native wildlife they kill.

Hey. I keep my cats well fed and well loved and they are happy. I dont lock them in cages like a prisoner.

Cats are not dogs. You cant just lock them up.

link   

Originally posted by TsukiLunar
You people are a bunch of idiots. Tell me how in the hell you are supposed to keep a cat confined? Cats arent dogs, they dont take commands.

You put them in a cage or bring them in your house at night, it’s pretty simple.
Native species shouldn’t suffer because of a cat owner’s incompetence.

No creature likes being caged or held against their will. I'm not sympathizing with cats as I don't like them. Should the owners bring them in, sure. They are just doing what they naturally do.

Natural selection at its finest.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 09:43 PM
link   
Once again
you all agree that dogs should be able to roam free and that it doesnt matter if they kill a few pet cats right?

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 09:45 PM
link   
Dogs have owners....Cats have staff. That is the difference for that one. The BIG one for killing one vs. the other if they're loose is that a dog can very quickly pose mortal danger to a full grown adult human and cats? Well... Heck.. When was the last time anyone heard of a tabby or alley cat outright killing a grown adult?

BTW.. I don't know what it's like in Australia, but for the one guy who said his Neighbor shoots them and disposes of them with a mini-profile showing Illinois, well...thats called felony animal cruelty and it's good for a prison term. Google it up. His wouldn't be precedent setting by any means for sending someone to prison for a bit over the obscene cruelty that describes. I'm assuming he is NOT simply trapping them and then very carefully shooting them to turn the lights out instantly. Of course not..He's probably shooting at a distance like a hunter...and putting them through unimaginable pain before finally showing some mercy and ending it later.

Pardon me for saying it...but anyone who would kill another animal that way for anything but the food required to live or in direct defense of life is the one that needs shot.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 09:47 PM
link   

Once again
you all agree that dogs should be able to roam free and that it doesnt matter if they kill a few pet cats right?

You can keep dogs contained in the backyard and they dont strangle themselves with leashes(most of the time). A dog can be trained to stay in the yard and come when you call it.

Cats the other hand... Well your an idiot if you believe for a second you can control them.
edit on 16-2-2012 by TsukiLunar because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 09:48 PM
link   

Once again

I have heard stories of many children and adults attacked and mauled by dogs all my life. I've never heard of a cat dealing fatal damage to a human being.

Dogs are larger more powerful creatures. Thats just the way things are.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 09:50 PM
link   
Cats kill rats. Cats kill rats long before the rats become the size of dogs. And they do.

I used to live in Vancouver. A port with grain elevators.
Vancouver welcomed the cats, they prevent vermin from running around causing disease.

I lived around farmland, and orchards. One neighbourhood that I moved into once, I had 2 cats. The mouse population went down within 2 months, and people noticed. Next thing, everyone in the neighbourhood went out and rescued a bunch of cats. They were all spayed and neutered so it didn't get out of hand. Mouse population went way down.

If you ever lived in an area overrun by mice, you'd rather have the cats.
If they're crapping in your garden or something, just set up a water trap with motion sensors. Problem gone.

It's a lot better than killing someone's pet, and breaking some poor child's heart.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 09:52 PM
link   
reply to post by cconn487

Technically, a rabid cat could indirectly kill a human who isn't protected against rabies.......

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 09:55 PM
link   
There is no such thing as a pet cat. Cats have pet humans. As for killing them for just roaming around, that's a bit ridiculous. If they are on your property harming you or your animals, then do what you can to eliminate the threat. But just roaming around...no. They kill small rodents, birds, snakes....the animals that humans consider pests.

I don't know what native species in Australia the cats are making extinct, but...it isn't the pet cats doing it. Stray cats, maybe. The "pet" cats have been following humans around for thousands of years, keeping us safe from vermin...let them do their job, they're good at it.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 10:00 PM
link   
I'm with TsukiLunar, there's just no way to keep a cat "contained" like that

best action is a bell, or some serious overfeeding so they end up to fat to chase anything

now i suppose u ask "why have one then?" well let me give u a true scenario

i own 3 cats, i haven't seen a mouse or rat in years and have little problem with creepy crawlys inside my house
my brother whom lives next door has a rat problem and guess what.. he has no cats, his dog likes to try and eat my cats so no.. he cannot borrow mine (not that they'd even go along with that)

we live right on bushland so its just the way of it, the rats we get here are sometimes bigger than my cats and quite smart.. if they decide they want to take up home in your house.. nothing short of owning a cat (or literally hunting them yourself) will stop them doing some serious damage.

btw.. i opted for the fat cat approach but im kinda lucky as my cats are quite content to just.. well.. lay around.. until they see a rat then.. its on. now i will add.. when they were young i got the odd present on my doorstep.. but i scolded them for that but reinforced my appreciation of catching a rat or mouse.. or spider.. most owners don't even bother with that though nor do they even think there cat could be a cold blooded killer so they let em just "do there thing" i've had cats all my life so i knew what to praise and what not to when i raised my 3.

cats are like kids, in more ways than one. i see kids on the street in some towns at 12am too.. can i go and shoot them cuz.. you know.. the're wreaking the place and there owners obviously care little anyways.. um.. no..

feral cats though.. fair game, and you'll know a feral, they normally don't have collars, are a matted mess and are 3 times the size of a regular cat and are trying to eat your dog

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 10:03 PM
link   
No you shouldn't be allowed to kill cats that are " roaming " around outside....

I had a beautiful short hair all black cat we called Homey, he would love to be outside...

That was until someone decided to kick him and we found him on the porch broken and battered.

It didn't kill him but severely affected his quality of life and he lot his love for the outside.

He was a member of the family and a great cat.
edit on 16-2-2012 by Zaanny because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 10:05 PM
link   
should not be legal for just anyone to kill cats roaming the streets.. should be only people catching them giving them a few weeks than putting them down when no one collects it. just like it is now.

if any old joe shmoe was allowed to kill roaming cats you will have a whole bunch of cases of animal torture. we already have nuts running around torturing cats as is, so now we are going to give them the right to do so.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 10:10 PM
link   

Says it all about stray cats really..........

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 10:11 PM
link   
What you are proposing is the legalization of the destruction of private property. By law, pet are property. If you kill it, you are destroying some ones property. A wild animal is not some ones property.

There in lies the difference. So, no, it should not be legal.

It is sad that either has to die, but given the choice of a wild animal and my property, well, I think you know what I would choose.

Popular or not, that is where I stand.
edit on 16-2-2012 by gimme_some_truth because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 10:13 PM
link   
Don’t any of you see the extreme hypocrisy of what your all saying?
It’s wrong to kill animals unless you use a cat to do it.
So technically I can use a cat to kill your pet cats and you wouldn’t care

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 10:15 PM
link   

There is a difference between wild animals and property( Pets are property). If you destroy my property, no matter the method, I assure you, I will care...

edit on 16-2-2012 by gimme_some_truth because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 10:15 PM
link   
reply to post by TheCommentator

Here, finally, is one reason for you to like the United States:
Many communities in the United States have "leash laws" that apply to both cats and dogs. I once had a cat that I had to rescue from the "dog pound" because it had wandered into a neighbors yard.

No I wouldn't support killing a cat just because it was unconfined. All animals are capable of getting loose from time to time.

See ya,
Milt

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 10:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by gimme_some_truth

If you destroy my property, no matter the method, I assure you, I will care...

But I cant care about your cat destroying my property/coming on to my land?
Im sorry if you care but native wildlife is more important

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 10:19 PM
link   

Are you trying to protect mice and rats? If so, then catch a bunch of them put them in cages, so that they don't get killed by their natural predator, the cat

Those are the animals that people are saying it's ok for the cats to kill. Rats, and mice. Rats and mice spread diseases like the plague, and hantavirus, which kill people.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join