It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Doomsday Prepper shots own thumb off ... now how is he regarded?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 11:03 AM
link   
The last episode of Doomsday Preppers featured a man and his two sons who seemed to have their stuff together. They had their bugout plan well thought out, supplies out the yin yang, are in the process of building a BO bunker out of shipping containers, and extensively practiced with firearms ... then he shot his thumb off on national TV, in front his kids who worship him. Oh, then he passed out cold.

Suddenly the guy looks like a joke to me. How will he really perform in a firefight? How narrowly did he miss shooting one of his own boys? First sign of blood and he's down for the count? I know must have it hurt but the same night I was watching 'Untold Stories o the ER' and some dude sawed off his own middle finger and almost walked out of the ER untreated because the wait was so long (in the end he refused to even discuss reattaching it, just a bandage and left, all smiles).

I know accidents happen but the show already depicts the preppers as borderline nut jobs, how can this guy be taken seriously? Did anyone else see this?
edit on 2/16/2012 by RedParrotHead because: typo

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 11:06 AM
link   
reply to post by RedParrotHead

His prepardness meter goes down 10%

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 11:07 AM
link   
I watched all of Doomsday preppers, I never saw that man shoot his thumb off, are you talking about the guy in Texas?, who has 50,000 lbs of food, stored away in one spot.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by RedParrotHead
....Suddenly the guy looks like a joke to me. How will he really perform in a firefight? How narrowly did he miss shooting one of his own boys? First sign of blood and he's down for the count? I know must have it hurt but the same night I was watching 'Untold Stories o the ER' and some dude sawed off his own middle finger and almost walked out of the ER untreated because the wait so long (in the end he refused to even discuss reattaching it, just a bandage and left, all smiles).

I know accidents happen but the show already depicts the preppers as borderline nut jobs, how can this guy be taken seriously? Did anyone else see this?

First of all, remember that it's TV.

Second of all, I'ma need for you to SHOOT OFF YOUR THUMB and then try to stay conscious, let alone composed.

Third, that 'Untold Story' was probably untold because it never really happened, or they changed a significant amount of details.

Fourth, "the preppers"??!?!??!?

Fifth, why does it matter if people take "preppers" (LOL) seriously or not. They aren't "prepping" for anybody but themselves and their families anyway.
edit on 16-2-2012 by My.mind.is.mine because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 11:08 AM
link   

I didn't see the guy shoot his thumb off, I must have missed that part, but from what I did see, maybe the guy thought his thumb was an invader so he shot it. Then he just passed out because he couldn't believe he made such a good shot.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 11:09 AM
link   
i found a clip of it, somthing i had to see.

Its kind of laughable to be honest.

I dont think that its a negative thing to be suseptable to seeing your own blood, the idea of prepping is to NOT be in a situation that would need violence/agression to solve.

link to clip

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 11:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Biigs

Tim was indulging in a spot of target practice when his gun misfired while his hand was in front of the barrel.
Oh so it was an accident. I was thinking he shot his own thumb off to show how tough he was or something.

In fact, Tim went on to make a full recovery. The bullet had gouged out the middle part of his thumb, but surgeons were able to reattach the top part. However, he was left with what he described as "a midget digit," a thumb that was much, much shorter than it used to be.
midget digit!
edit on 16-2-2012 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 11:19 AM
link   
LOL, I guess i missed that part, I watched your clip, how crazy, im mean how do you shoot your thumb off if your holding your gun correctly, oh wait he wasnt holding it correctly. LMAO, still im glad his children are ok

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 11:19 AM
link   
How can you hold a gun ... in a way where your thumb is in front of barrel ?????
Am I missing something .......

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Sorry, I'm not exactly in the know when it comes to gun's but...
How the hell does a thumb get in the way of the barrel?

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 11:24 AM
link   
reply to post by leawyoming

reply to post by Glassbender777

He said it "misfired" i call bull on that, modern weapons in the hands of a trained pro (like this guy for the most part seemed to be) would NEVER have a loaded weapon pointed at anything they did intend to kill and CERTINLY not their own body parts! Thats a fact.

This guy obviously got excited and let slip his gun control, simply too embarressed to admit in front of his kids.

edit on 16-2-2012 by Biigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 11:25 AM
link   
well, you have to remember that this is the fellow who is preparing for an EMP (among other scenarios I'm sure) and plans to drive to his EMP proof bugout bunker in a new, electronics dependent Jeep. I guess he'll know it's coming 40 minutes before the rest of us...

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 11:29 AM
link   

thought it was very funny how he said you should never put your hand over a barrel of a gun!! WTF?? Does he know gun safety. I really dont know how he blew his thumb off. Did he put his hand over the barrel??? and then fire? I thought he said his gun misfired. I thought it blew up in his hand

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 11:31 AM
link   
reply to post by sd211212

Its odd for sure.

Actually think about holding a handgun, and putting the part he blew off his hand, over the barrel. What honestly WAS he thinking?

The only thing i can possibly think is that he had the safty off, chambered bullet, and wiped some dirt or somthing off the end of the gun. Staticly if you were going to shoot your self accidentally, it would be a leg or body wound, not an inch below the end of your thumb!!! right?

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 11:31 AM
link   

well, you have to remember that this is the fellow who is preparing for an EMP (among other scenarios I'm sure) and plans to drive to his EMP proof bugout bunker in a new, electronics dependent Jeep. I guess he'll know it's coming 40 minutes before the rest of us...

Hahaha, Thats classic, i did not even think about that when i watched the show. lol good catch!

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 11:40 AM
link   
This actually brings up a good point. If you're preparing yourself for a SHTF scenario, you really need to be trained in first aid at least. Even minor cuts can become infected and be a major problem if not treated properly.

Serious injuries like this require immediate attention and skilled medical treatment as soon as possible. Might be a good idea to look into some advanced first aid classes and learn how to apply field dressings and tourniquets.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 11:44 AM
link   

The last episode of Doomsday Preppers featured a man and his two sons who seemed to have their stuff together. They had their bugout plan well thought out, supplies out the yin yang, are in the process of building a BO bunker out of shipping containers, and extensively practiced with firearms ... then he shot his thumb off on national TV, in front his kids who worship him. Oh, then he passed out cold.

Suddenly the guy looks like a joke to me. How will he really perform in a firefight? How narrowly did he miss shooting one of his own boys? First sign of blood and he's down for the count? I know must have it hurt but the same night I was watching 'Untold Stories o the ER' and some dude sawed off his own middle finger and almost walked out of the ER untreated because the wait was so long (in the end he refused to even discuss reattaching it, just a bandage and left, all smiles).

edit on 2/16/2012 by RedParrotHead because: typo

Hey listen man, pain is pain it comes in different ways.
I've been working construction and had a piece of heavy steel unexpectedly ran across the end of my finger (my boss at the time was a dumbass and slid it about like it was balsa wood).
When you get that level of intensity going through your pain receptors your body can't cope with the bottleneck of surging signals.
So you pass out. In my case I nearly 'whited' out and went down to my knees on the way back to the module.
I managed to fight through it before carrying on going to see the medic and getting it trefined (the draining of pressure from the nail).

Having a gun go off with your hand in front of the barrel is not good.
I thought at first it might be a very bad slide bite / slam on a big caliber semi-auto but it seem's he did have his hand in a very wrong place at the wrong time.

Just a cautionary tale on firearm safety and awareness is how I see it.
edit on 16-2-2012 by WatchRider because: addition

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Biigs
reply to post by leawyoming

reply to post by Glassbender777

He said it "misfired" i call bull on that, modern weapons in the hands of a trained pro (like this guy for the most part seemed to be) would NEVER have a loaded weapon pointed at anything they did intend to kill and CERTINLY not their own body parts! Thats a fact.

This guy obviously got excited and let slip his gun control, simply too embarressed to admit in front of his kids.

edit on 16-2-2012 by Biigs because: (no reason given)

Yep I hear that too man.
I was figuring on giving him the benefit of the doubt as a slam-fire with a hand screw up but the likelihood is the guy's trigger finger is ultimately responsible...

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 11:50 AM
link   
The only reasonable way - scratch that, still unreasonable - but the only way to blow off a thumb while even being close to operating a gun properly is if you're firing a revolver and you get cut by the offgassing out the side of the cylinder.. This is what I imagined had happened.. But he was just being an idiot..

""as soon as Tim's gun misfired and hit his thumb..."
You know a "misfire" is when the gun doesn't fire at all, right?

"It was one of those malfunctions where my thumb went in front of the barrell"

"one of those malfuncions"... as though he blows thumbs off all the time..

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 11:54 AM
link   
reply to post by WatchRider

No doubt - but you fought through the pain and did what needed to be done. I've had my share of painful injuries (major - broken arm, ribs, internal bleeding .. and minor - hammer to the finger etc) but have never come close to passing out. I've been knocked out, but never passed out.

Besides, really I don't think it was the pain for that guy, it was the sight of blood and maybe a bit of shock. My wife gets wozzy at the sight of blood, especially her own and she wouldn't be my first choice as a battle buddy. I question this guys mental strength.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join