It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should we be spitting at our troops?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Spitting on troops is no way to show them what your opinion is. I bet if you just went and asked some of the troops you would find out that there are alot of us who agree with most of your ideology. If you are angry at the troops for being duped into this situation there are many things you could do. Go find a bunch of fpo/apo adresses for deployed units and send letters for the troops to read. I garantee you that they would be at least read out of bordem. And who knows, if you sent enough you might have an effect. Now alot of people get mad because troops won't just walk away from the situation. Well, for those who have never served that may sound easy to do but it is not. The simple fact of the matter is, if we want to stop our military from fighting pointless wars in foreign lands, then we need to change the leaders and policy makers. Bashing, spitting on, or otherwise disrespecting or demeaning troops will only draw a deeper divide in an already volatile situation. Now, I personally get uncomfortable when thanked for my service for the simple fact that I'm not always sure why I am being thanked. There is a large number of people who really have no idea about the real truths of these wars. That is something that must be changed as well. Either way you look at it. Whether you like the troops or dislike them, spitting on them is wrong. If omeone spat on me I would consider it assault and I would swiftly and justly defend myself. If I saw another veteran or active duty troop get spit on I would react in the same manner. I mean really, what do you think will happen to you if you spit in the face of an Infantryman who just spent the last year of his life in a combat zone? It would not be a very wise decision for anyone to do that. If you do then you deserve what you get in return.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 10:32 AM
link   
reply to post by usmc0311

The troops have not been "duped" in to anything. I give them credit enough to believe that they are intelligent enough to see who they are working, what they are doing, and why they are doing it.

To think adults in this country can be "duped" in to murder of civilians of other nations for resources is ridiculous

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 10:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Hawking

Have you ever served? Not asking argumentatively, just for reference. I ask this because yes, alot are duped as I once was. Now I joined before the wars but when they came along i belived the story just as everyone else. And this is still happening everyday. And just for your own knowledge, not everyone in the military kills people. There are many jobs that never even put people in those situations. There is alot of dissention in the ranks right now and sooner or later it will reach critical mass and we may just see an end to the madness that has been occuring. Could you imagine if we took the resources put into these wars and used them to better our infrastructure and repair our rundown cities here in America. But no, we have politicians that all want to be kings and will screww whoever over to get it. I find it shamefull that so many put hatred twoards the troops when the hatred should be directed in other places.
edit on 16/2/12 by usmc0311 because: spelling

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by FortAnthem
Now, maybe we shouldn't actually be spitting on them like they did back in the Vietnam days (That would be a good way to lose a couple of teeth) but, we certainly shouldn't be THANKING them for their service. I think the best option is to try to educate our soldiers as to the real motivations behind our nation's military policies; show them that they are not protecting our freedoms but, instead the profits of the military industrial complex and all of the corporations who are raping the countries they are sent to of their natural resources.
The repetition machine which reported "evidence" for Iraqi WMDs and "evidence" for an Iranian nuclear weapons program has made similar baseless claims in the past. Claims became myths and those myths are still believed today.

There are some indications, that the spitting antiwar protester is just an urban legend. One more lie which has been used and is still used to marginalize those who oppose mindless jingoism and US imperialism.

A persistent criticism leveled against those who protested the United States's involvement in the Vietnam War is that protesters spat upon and otherwise derided returning soldiers, calling them "baby-killers", etc. Lembcke says he found no evidence to suggest this ever happened and suggests it may have come in part from the common chant by protesters aimed at President Lyndon Baines Johnson, "Hey, hey, LBJ, how many kids did you kill today?" One of the hallmarks of the period's anti-war movement was its stated support for the troops in the field and the affiliation of many returning veterans with it. At the time he wrote The Spitting Image he had not found a single media report to support the claims of spitting. He theorizes that the reported "spitting on soldiers" scenario was a mythical projection by those who felt "spat upon" and was meant to discredit future anti-war activism. He suggests that the images of pro-war antipathy against anti-war protesters helped contribute to the myth. Lembcke argues that memories of being verbally and physically assaulted by anti-war protesters were largely conjured, arguing that not even one case could be documented.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 10:43 AM
link   
These children join the military to help support their families. Most belong to the Lower Class and have minimum education and honestly have nowhere else to go, except join the criminal element. They are children. They are asleep. They do not understand what it is all about until after the fact. If anyone should be spit on, it is our leaders. I hate war with every fiber of my being, but it is what it is. TPTB get rich from children dying, on both sides of a war. Only one man cares about children and a smaller military. Vote Ron Paul 2012!!

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 10:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Hawking

Yeah, cause millions of people despite knowing they are infact working in what is effectively a corporate military wing think invading other nations and murdering innocent people is OK.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 10:57 AM
link   
I am active Army with 23 years experiance. For all of you who want to spit on troops, come to Fort Drum and put your money where your mouth is. But be forewarned... Don't let your aligator mouth overload your mockingbird A$$. We have 10,000 troops who have recently returned from both countries. The only thing between you and ud is air and opportunity. As I have said before come get some.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 11:18 AM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

S&F!!

I do not know what water you drink but it is clear that you can think for yourself about matters that are important. Most americans are conditioned and comply to what is expected from them.

For example, why did Bush and his executives call it the patriot act? For the word patriot ofcourse. If an american says he is no patriot he isn't really concerned a true american. It borders to an insult if someone tells you not to be a patriot. You understand where I am going with this?

America and the hardworking citizens are in deep, deep trouble if they keep their eyes wide shut.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by rockledr
I am active Army with 23 years experiance. For all of you who want to spit on troops, come to Fort Drum and put your money where your mouth is. But be forewarned... Don't let your aligator mouth overload your mockingbird A$$. We have 10,000 troops who have recently returned from both countries. The only thing between you and ud is air and opportunity. As I have said before come get some.

Beside the less polite intensions....did you read what the OP wrote? Can you maybe comment on the content of his "rant"?

Can you find any truth in what the thread-starter in his first post wrote?

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hawking

Originally posted by reaxi0n
Yeah rack up the count for yet another troop bashing thread.

People like you are ruining ATS.
I hear Westboro is recruiting so how about you put your money where your mouth is and go protest some funerals or something.
edit on 2-16-12 by reaxi0n because: meh

Yeah how dare someone voice their opinions about our armed forces!

What is this, a free country or something?

Voice an opinion is one thing. Considering spitting on ANYONE? That's where stupidity enters the picture. I'm going to say that nobody should spit at or on anyone else. That certainly does fit the mentality of the Westboro scum of the earth.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 12:40 PM
link   
You people who can't get past the whole spitting thing make me laugh. I'm pretty sure the OP didn't mean that literally, but rather as a metaphor to express how he felt about the matter. Don't focus so much on the spit that you lose sight of the real topic.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by rockledr
I am active Army with 23 years experience. For all of you who want to spit on troops, come to Fort Drum and put your money where your mouth is. But be forewarned... Don't let your aligator mouth overload your mockingbird A$$. We have 10,000 troops who have recently returned from both countries. The only thing between you and ud is air and opportunity. As I have said before come get some.

but, i can guarantee 85 percent of these "troops" u call them, will be locked up n prison or commit other acts of violence! so take your tuff guy attitude to the slammer solder!!!

oh and its experience not your way of spelling lol!!
edit on 01/04/2009 by steve95988 because: poor spelling by a soldier

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Im from England and if some mug was to start throwing their gob over our boys. I'd probably start throwing some punches. And then a few more, and so on.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Cusp
You people who can't get past the whole spitting thing make me laugh. I'm pretty sure the OP didn't mean that literally, but rather as a metaphor to express how he felt about the matter. Don't focus so much on the spit that you lose sight of the real topic.

Can you see what is happening here,,,?

Why can the soldier not see past the spitting image thing, are their higher brain fuctions corrupted?

I really hope that an active US soldier will come to this thread and will show some coherend thoughts, this is really something to worry about. If the army is made with such individuals much can be explained.

Jesus I mean, there is nothing wrong to stand up for your comarade in arms but this is ridiculous.

edit on 16/2/2012 by zatara because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hawking

Yeah how dare someone voice their opinions

Yep, that's exactly what I'm doing. Thanks bro

And here I was thinking this website was about denying ignorance. Silly me.
edit on 2-16-12 by reaxi0n because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 02:22 PM
link   
I served in the military for 16 years as a dental assistant, never been deployed and if someone spit in my face well I'll just say they should cancel christmas for that year since they won't be there to participate.

I joined the military because I wanted to go to college but even with 2 scholarships, I couldn't afford to go. Alot of people have done the same thing. Some people want to travel, want a "better" life, etc. We are citizens just like you.

Yes, our job is to fight for the liberties of the people, even though we lose much of those same freedoms when joining. You can't just up and quit. You can let your enlistement run out and not reenlist or you can get yourself kicked out or retire.

Spitting on someone is HIGHLY disrespectful where I'm from and other places I have been.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 02:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Hawking

And obviously we should abolish any defensive posture that would use firearms to get overrun by Mexico?You are not very deep.Our problem is in washington being bought and paid for.Get the money out of policy and keep our armed forces at 1990 level capability.How much less war would have been waged if corporate interests didn't dictate policy?Term limits too, for national level judges and all politicians.No more support for NATO or military deployment with out a vote.And any armed services committee member must have military service.
Oh yeah and spit is a pathogen so it constitutes assault,so I will do as I want to anyone silly enough the get that close and behave in such a way. Not that I didn't fully understand the OP's triggering hook for this post
so he could attempt to to make his point about soldiers mind sets.

Desert Storm,Cav Scout,warrior.
edit on 16-2-2012 by 7thcavtrooper because: hit the button too soon

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 02:32 PM
link   
"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. This is not a way of life at all in any true sense. Under the clouds of war, it is humanity hanging on a cross of iron". ~Dwight D. Eisenhower, speech, American Society of Newspaper Editors, 16 April 1953

Is there any hope of getting another POTUS that would say a thing like that again? Just asking, from another part of the world...

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

I find it amusing that the same people who would advocate spitting on soldiers are the same ones who laud and adore our commander in chief.
He's the one who signs the orders.

Don't like it?

Talk to management!

Leave my brothers and sisters alone.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 02:41 PM
link   
reply to post by zatara

I have given this lots of thought as I have a few deployments under my belt.

Do I think we should be in Afghanistan? Not now and not for the last few years, but it's for different reasons than you can know unless you were there. The US troops should be at home securing our borders and providing defense for the nation.

Offense is a completely different objective and I agree we in the military work for some corrupt politicians on both sides of the isle. They are one in the same, no matter who is in charge. We live in a corrupt world and it is obvious.
If you want to protest the fighting great I am with you on that. I have lost too many friends, some in my arms for this continued BS. But people join the military for different reasons, poverty, patriotism, trying to fit in. college money. These are not the people who need to be "SPIT ON" Try the politicians and MSM the propaganda is in full swing and has been for a long time.

I will continue this later I need to go to work again.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join