learn more

Should we be spitting at our troops?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
+15 more 
posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 09:11 AM
link   
I don't know about you but, I'm sick and tired of hearing the constant barrage of propaganda telling our troops that they are fighting for our freedoms and keeping Americans free by fighting our wars over in the Middle-East.

Every time I see something like that, it makes me want to retch or stand up and boo the announcers at the top of my lungs. I fail to see how dropping bombs and killing dark-skinned people on the other side of the world is doing anything to protect my freedom here at home.

Now, I don't hate our soldiers but, I absolutely DESPISE the policies they are used to enforce on the rest of the world. I was in their place once myself; after high school, I joined the Army and took part in Operation Desert Storm. At the time, I was proud of my service and though I had done my part in defending freedom, thanks to all of the warm praise heaped on the returning soldiers after the first Gulf War.

Thanks to years of propaganda in films and TV, the American public was handed a massive guilt-trip for their treatment of the returning soldiers from Vietnam. They were taught that it was wrong to blame the soldiers for the actions of the country and wrong to protest them upon their return from combat.

Nothing like a big, muscle bound actor breaking down and crying about being called "baby killer" to make the American people think twice about confronting the returning troops with the truth about what they had been used for while "over there".

Because of this "oh thank you for defending our freedom" attitude, it wasn't until I was well into my 30's that I started to wake up to the facts surrounding the first Gulf War and the real motivations behind it.

In my opinion, we do our service members a HUGE disservice by reinforcing the impression the wars they fight in are somehow protecting our freedoms here at home and that, if it weren't for them, we wouldn't be able to have a Super Bowl.

Now, maybe we shouldn't actually be spitting on them like they did back in the Vietnam days (That would be a good way to lose a couple of teeth) but, we certainly shouldn't be THANKING them for their service. I think the best option is to try to educate our soldiers as to the real motivations behind our nation's military policies; show them that they are not protecting our freedoms but, instead the profits of the military industrial complex and all of the corporations who are raping the countries they are sent to of their natural resources.

I think we should not sit silently by when some announcer thanks the troops for their service but instead, we should stand up and shout BULLCRAP or at least boo when those announcements are made. Start asking our soldiers the tough questions like "How exactly is your occupation of a country half way across the world keeping me free?" and, "Why are you guarding poppy fields for narco-terrorists, how is THAT protecting us at home?"

We need to force our soldiers to think about the policies they are being used to enforce and whether those policies are actually in line with the oath they took to defend our country and the constitution. We need to wake up the soldier to the criminal purposes for which they are used and encourage them to refuse to fight for corporate profits like a band of mercenaries.

Most of all, we need to stop reinforcing the idea that their occupation of countries half way around the world is somehow protecting our freedoms. It is not, and it probably does more to create new enemies abroad and make Americans less safe.

I refuse to continue the charade of letting our troops believe they are serving the American people and protecting our freedoms. If the troops really wanted to protect the freedoms of the American people, they would be storming the stronghold of the people most responsible for oppression inside the United States.

Only after the troops remove the real threat to American freedom will I walk up to them, shake their hand and tell them "thank you for protecting my freedom."

edit on 2/16/12 by FortAnthem because:
_________ extra DIV

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 09:15 AM
link   
Um..... no!

Spitting at someone is a serious crime where I live.

+1 more 
posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 09:25 AM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

I've said it many times. The way to end these wars of adventure is to send the politicians that start them to fight in those wars. This would bring an instant end to those wars.
I do not in any way blame the troops who enlist, because they think they are doing something noble, or they are enlisting because they can't get a JOB here in the US. When the politicians and the MSM stop encouraging those wars, they will end, and then perhaps, just perhaps, our military can do what the department that they are under, the DEFENSE department, is supposed to stand for- DEFENSE of our country.
Put them on the border to stop the drugs from flowing here, and put an end to the illegal entry of 15,000,000 people, who are putting a tremendous strain on state budgets.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 09:27 AM
link   
The short answer: yes

A lot of people who are vehemently against the "wars" in Iraq and Afghanistan attempt to distinguish between those who send our troops overseas to kill civilians for resources, and those "innocent" troops who are doing the real killing.

If you are against the war and the deaths of innocent people for the profit of imperialistic nations like the US, the troops are equally to blame. They are the ones pulling the triggers that kill every day that we occupy these nations.

+6 more 
posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 09:30 AM
link   
post removed because the user has no concept of manners

Click here for more information.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 09:32 AM
link   
It's mean to spit on kids who ride the short bus.

If anything feel sorry for the ones who have bought into the "warrior class" crap.

They all have their own reasons for signing up.

But the "I wanna be a hero!!" ones are so so so sad.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 09:35 AM
link   
Maybe if more people were vocal towards the actual soldiers themselves about what they are actualy doing the soldiers might start to understand INVADING FOREIGN LANDS FOR CORPORATIONS IS A BAD THING and less people would sign up.

But then all this happened during Vietnam, so you know, if they havnt learned now they aint ever gonna learn.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Thank you for this. I only wish every person who joined the armed forces realized the harsh realities behind their job.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rockdisjoint
Um..... no!

Spitting at someone is a serious crime where I live.

You know what's an even more serious crime where I live? Murder.

+4 more 
posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 09:43 AM
link   
I fully support a member of the US military punching a persons teeth down their throat, if they are spit on. Spitting is a form of assault. People that have STD's often use their spit as a weapon. I am a woman and a non violent woman at that.... But, if someone spit at me (I see that as one of the biggest forms of disrespect there is) I would do everything in my power to make sure that person regretted it.

If you don't agree with the war, or the death and killing, I say work to change it.... Find a way that doesn't include assaulting someone.

Do I think they are fighting for our freedoms?? Of course not!

BUT, a good portion of these soldiers, joined the military, for a shot at a better life. They join for several reasons other than to kill people. Some come from poverty... Some want to pay for college.... Some join to get out of "the neighborhood"

There are still people that believe we are wanted in these "freedom missions"

Many of these men and women contribute to improving these countries... You may not think they are making a difference, but many of them know what they have done..

Are there blood thirsty killers in the military? Yep... There are also blood thirsty killers within 50 miles of the school your children go to. The point is, bad people are bad people...

These soldiers with "boots on the ground" see the people BEG for the soldiers NOT to leave. They feel they will be killed when the soldiers pull out. I have a good friend that came home, retired, then proceeded to adopt a boy from a town they protected in Iraq. If I saw you or anyone else spit on him, it would take the US army to stop me from going Lara Croft on them.

These are our brothers and sisters. They are no different than you and I. They simply took a different path in life. I say, until you have been on the ground, you have no right to generalize, about what they are doing.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 09:44 AM
link   
You should really be ashamed of yourself.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by ProfEmeritus
reply to post by FortAnthem

I've said it many times. The way to end these wars of adventure is to send the politicians that start them to fight in those wars. This would bring an instant end to those wars.
I do not in any way blame the troops who enlist, because they think they are doing something noble, or they are enlisting because they can't get a JOB here in the US. When the politicians and the MSM stop encouraging those wars, they will end, and then perhaps, just perhaps, our military can do what the department that they are under, the DEFENSE department, is supposed to stand for- DEFENSE of our country.
Put them on the border to stop the drugs from flowing here, and put an end to the illegal entry of 15,000,000 people, who are putting a tremendous strain on state budgets.

Ding, ding, ding... we have a winner!

If any spitting is to be done it should be towards the "war pigs" who sit in their cushy chairs and calculate "human cost ratios" while drinking their lattés and sending young adults with life's potential in front of them to die, in order to kill other young adults with life's potential in front of them!

the Billmeister

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 09:49 AM
link   
I would rather spit on the people who sent them to war.
Lets take those sniveling politicians and drop them into a war zone so they can fire the first shots and lead the charge like the leaders they pretend to be.

I would never disrespect the troops.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Spitting at your troop really?
It's the politicians and the high level military people that you should be spitting at.

These guys put their ass on the line. Agree or disagree with the wars, they still are the bravest out there

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by brainswippin
Spitting at your troop really?
It's the politicians and the high level military people that you should be spitting at.

These guys put their ass on the line. Agree or disagree with the wars, they still are the bravest out there

Yes, but if people stop enlisting to fight these wars, our government will have no choice but to institute a draft

And THAT would effectively end any and all wars the American people don't personally agree with.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 10:09 AM
link   
Uh, how about treating our service members like everyone else? Those that I know feel very uncomfortable when they are thanked by civilians for their service.

Instead of spitting on them, or thanking them or telling them that they are tools of a fascist regime, just treat them like you would want to be treated.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 10:10 AM
link   
star and flag from me!!

I seriously wish maybe more people would wake up and realize that its not right!!! It is not right people!!! What we are doing is being the bully on the playground!! I pray every night and wish all the time that another country will take that bully down!!!! It will happen and is a matter of time!! Far as spitting on US troops!??
that's my answer! They do far worse things to innocent people and animals while out on deployment! makes me sick... U united states!!

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 10:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by reaxi0n
Yeah rack up the count for yet another troop bashing thread.

People like you are ruining ATS.
I hear Westboro is recruiting so how about you put your money where your mouth is and go protest some funerals or something.
edit on 2-16-12 by reaxi0n because: meh

Yeah how dare someone voice their opinions about our armed forces!

What is this, a free country or something?

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 10:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Feltrick
Uh, how about treating our service members like everyone else? Those that I know feel very uncomfortable when they are thanked by civilians for their service.

Instead of spitting on them, or thanking them or telling them that they are tools of a fascist regime, just treat them like you would want to be treated.

Like I said in the OP; we should be working to wake them up to the reality of their situation. Tell them in no uncertain terms that they are being USED.

I lived the lie for over ten years believing that I had done good during the first Gulf War, so I have walked in their shoes. I just wish there had been more voices of oposition at the time to tell me why I had really been sent over there so I could have had my eyes opened earlier. That is the way I wish I had been treated.

If the troops see that the American people don't approve of the policies they are used to enforce, more will wake up to the harsh reality sooner. Hopefully, before they pay the ultimate price for the impreialistic, coprorate driven policies of this nation.

posted on Feb, 16 2012 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Feltrick

Yeah see the thing is though, If I was part of an enormous all consuming corporate killing machine invading foreign lands and being party to an entity that was wantonly murdering innocent people, hundreds of thousands of people on a global level.

Im not sure I would be expected to be treated as a normal person, infact Id probably keep very very very quiet about what I did and hope no one ever found out what I was part off.
edit on 16-2-2012 by Ixtab because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join