It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should flags fly at half-staff for Whitney Houston?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 04:02 PM
link   
She was a fine entertainer before her long dive into drug addiction...not a Hero.

Our Troops who give their lives protecting us, deserve the honor of flag at half mast...not Whitney.

Des

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shred
In my opinion it's a sign of sickness of a nation when this is done for an entertainer. An entertainer is not a national hero. An entertainer is just that; he/she takes peoples minds off of important issues for a short amount of time. But maybe that's the reason they're doing this, entertainment over education and politics. It's making me sick, and I'm not dissing Houston.
edit on 15-2-2012 by Shred because: (no reason given)

That hits the nail on the head in my book. We live in a society who has replaced Batman and Superwoman with Sean Combs (i refuse to call him p-diddy it makes me twitch) and Britney Spears. Our moral compass has been pointing in the wrong direction for a long long time. This is just another case in point.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 04:04 PM
link   
I'm pretty sure that the consensus is NO!! I'd much rather see a ticker tape parade in NYC for our returning troops than a flag at half staff for Whitney. Honor the honorable!

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by W3RLIED2
reply to post by macman

I would be disgusted to know that anyone flew a flag at half mast for Whitney. Since when do crackheads deserve such an honor?

Every time a crackhead dies an angle gets his wings...isn't that the old saying?

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 04:08 PM
link   
I have seen this all over the internet and on FB mostly.

NO I do not think they should be flown half-staff. She was an entertainer. She didn't do anything extraordinary or save lives. She entertained and sang, something many other people do daily. She had a great voice yes but she destroyed it with drugs and that industry enabled it. She had the money and means to do what she wanted and she also had the money AND means to get help, she didn't. She tried yes but again she had the money so the only excuse she had was she didn't care enough to.

Most people in her situation can't get help like she could have. There are many other "celebs" and every day people in the same situation. Nobody would give a darn if it were some drug addict off the street. They wouldn't even think twice and they'd belittle the person. Whitney Houston is no different other than her career and celeb status. She was still a struggling drug addict yet people have more sympathy than even people in their own family dealing with the same thing. I have seen drug addiction tear people apart and nobody cared yet people care because she sang some songs and was famous. Her life was no more important than the person down the street who became addicted after a car accident. Nobody is immune to it. She just had money so it was easier for her to feed that addiction. It's sad she died but it was bound to happen, look at her track record the last 20 yrs or so. Even her daughter has had some addiction problems, her family needed help. I hope her daughter cleans up her act as well and see's what that kind of life style can lead to, death...and early death.

There should be no debate on the flag imo. If they don't fly the flag this way for members in any kind of service like law or military who lose their life defending another then why her?!?! This just shows what our country and the majority of society find important.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 04:09 PM
link   
I can understand her Home Town honouring her in that way, but a National Flag lowering NO.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 04:10 PM
link   
no - hell no

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 04:12 PM
link   
How is she a cultural icon? She's a black diva in the style of 64 badilllion other black divas who all sing the same sort of music,I really don't think she was all that good anyway (I've heard better at karaoke),she once claimed to be bigger and more influential than the Beatles and Jesus and she was a hopeless junkie with everything to live for.

It would be an insult to all that a national flag symbolises to use it for someone who only ever looked after number 1.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 04:14 PM
link   
Nationally no but if maybe the town where she was born did it that would be ok. But nationally no.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 04:15 PM
link   
The answer is no.

To her defense, I'm pretty certain it wasn't crack that ended her life. It was most likely prescription drug overdose but everyone will assume it was crack that killed her.

Why is it that we are taught to believe crack kills but prescription drugs don't? I'm willing to bet there are more prescription drug overdoses than coc aine or crack overdoses.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 04:16 PM
link   
relevant:
Warning: Language

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 04:17 PM
link   
Houston: She had a problem.

No, definitely not.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 04:20 PM
link   
Lowering the flag at half mast for her?
Let's hear a resounding NO!

(Unless of course she was some sort of secret squirrel spy agent and we never knew it.....)

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 04:21 PM
link   
Are you on medication or drugs or are you a troll or newsreporter or working for a opinion research corporation (nielsen)?

This should not even be a thread.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Glorify her by choice.

The Flag at half-staff is one issue.

The real question is will She go to Heaven ?

I would think "no trial was necessary"

She's in a place where She can really be on fire now.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 04:25 PM
link   
No and I think Whitney wouldn't want that either. She seemed like a sweet caring person and I'm sure she would be disgusted by this.

I agree with the other posters, we should honor our troops, the fallen, injured, disabled, retired and the one's currently serving.

Some people in America are acting like schools of fish, all together, dashing from one thing to another seeking out a hero. This is disgusting.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 04:28 PM
link   
reply to post by hp1229

Are you on medication or drugs or are you a troll or newsreporter or working for a opinion research corporation (nielsen)? This should not even be a thread.

...maybe you should read the post instead of knee jerking. It is a perfectly valid thread because it is yet another symptom of our seriously ill society and deteriorating collective value system...hence posting in "US Political Madness" not sure about you, but I would call that politician's hair-brained idea pretty snipping mad.

I didn't write the article, i don't condone the action. Don't kill the messenger.

Shouldn't you be trolling GLP or something?

edit on 15-2-2012 by clowdstalker because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by clowdstalker
Well um wow is about all i can say. I am all for honoring the deceased, especially cultural icons such as the late Whitney Houston...but the entire nation to fly at half mast for her passing? I am a little baffled and at the same time totally not surprised.

Our culture has collectively placed those in the entertainment industry so far above the seething masses that the idea that these are simply ordinary people whose talents lead them into extraordinary jobs has completely escaped us. Performers are nearly sacralized through our idolization of them. I am not sure how to feel about this...its just...odd.

here is the article...another daily dose of wtf courtesy of the Internets and (of course) msnbc.

entertainment.msnbc.msn.com...

ETA:
I know that this has been spurned by her home state which i can understand, local gal turned big time should be honored but at the same time, I can think of a whole lot of solders whose passing went unrecognized on the national level who deserved this honor a whole lot more than she does.
edit on 15-2-2012 by clowdstalker because: (no reason given)

If you didn't post that link I would've thought you were kidding.

I think what the Gov. wants to do is fly the flags half staff in the state of New Jersey. He doesn't have the authority to order that for the entire country.

I don't know what got into him but I really don't think he's acting like a man in his position should. Whitney Houston was good at what she did. Sing. There's no diputing that. Was she an addict? Yes. But we all have our faults. Bruce Springsteen is just as good, if not better, at what he does and I'm a huge fan, but I'm not going to expect New Jersey to treat him like an official dignitary when he passes and fly their flags at half staff. I think Bruce is on the level of Woodie Guthrie and Bob Dylan both lyrically and having a knack at elevating everyones social conciousness.

But at the end of the day, they're both singers. They're artists. They reach people on an emotional level by giving all of theirs.That's their talent. But you can't take those emotions when they pass away and treat them as if they're something they're not. The people who literally give their lives for this country deserve an official send off like this.

You have to keep your head in the game and it seems like Gov. Christie has his head somewhere else.

R.I.P.

We all have our own personal deamons that we try to escape, and it's too bad that Miss Houston couldn't free herself of hers. But......sorry......you dn't fly Government flags at half staff.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 04:37 PM
link   
reply to post by clowdstalker

holy s#%t ur kidding me..half mast for a crackhead,as the saying goes..only in america.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 04:39 PM
link   
Only in Amerika , That's right folks sing other people's songs smoke weed and crack till you can't sing anymore
Blame the devil, die in bathtub in a 2k a night room and be a National hero ... lol sorry but damn what a sad state we have become...

cause of death =Deferd ugh

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join